Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is there a way to make a second character? I really one try out making another tactical black ops princess. :ohdear:

Psion posted:

Also is it me or was the VA really, really flat? like the main character was reading a telephone book and your agency contact wasn't that much better?

A lot of incidental stuff (audio mixing, VA, explosion effects) seemed to be surprisingly low quality for what is supposedly a Triple-A product. Special shout out to the order wheel and the communication pop-ups (e.g. Fallback) for looking like prototypes for a PSX game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Randler posted:

Is there a way to make a second character

Yeah, someone on the discord posted how, check there. I think you copy and delete a file or something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I actually appreciate how unceremonial that "bossfight" was.
When I approached the compound and noticed the jeep and helicopter conveniently placed I C4'd them just in case the enemy would use them as getaway vehicle and I was supposed to go on some crazy chase. Because that's totally what I expected.
Those two people are filth. You enter their loving insane torture dungeon, you kick down the door, shoot two rounds in their head and leave. One and done. Remember, those two are nobodies to you. Killing them was personal for the CIA agent, but not for you. It's just business, it doesn't have to be this sick finale with Mad Max Fury Road chase sequences or waves of enemies storming a compound for an epic shootout. Real life black ops missions are not carefully written GTA/Call of Duty action sequences. Most of the time you are probably going to find your targets in a toilet or sleeping.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I C4'd them just in case the enemy would use them as getaway vehicle

This reminds me: Can someone tell me how to detonate C4 when using a controller?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Yodzilla posted:

So can you not actually fully "complete" an outpost?
Nope, it's more Far Cry 2 than Far Cry 3/4 in that regard. By completing missions you're empowering the local rebellion and increasing the instability of Santa Blanca's control. You can kinda see this from the Tacmap, there's a page that shows the relative strength of each faction but it's literally, You've completed x number of Ghost missions, you've completed x number of missions for the Rebels, you've taken x number of territories from Santa Blanca and Unidad are at x level of alertness. All very basic, and maybe it's supposed to be reflected ingame by lowered cartel presence and cleared outposts, but I suspect it's just window dressing on a score screen.

Obsurveyor posted:

This reminds me: Can someone tell me how to detonate C4 when using a controller?
If it's anything like PC it's your grenade button to toss it, and the same button held down to trigger it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know I need to update my video card, but even with most settings on medium this game is sinfully ugly.

Sound is weird and weak. I threw a grenade on my own position while figuring out the controls and a fart sounds more intense.

Didn't play long enough to get to grips with the shooting but in normal I was having trouble not getting shot. Cover and aiming felt awkard and I would get overwhelmed while my ai partners flailed uselessly. Didn't have a chance to play co op. May try that tonight after the super bowl.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Randler posted:

Is there a way to make a second character? I really one try out making another tactical black ops princess. :ohdear:
First off you disable cloud synching in Uplay so that it doesn't overwrite what you need to do: to make a new character (on PC) you need to go to your Ubisoft Game Launcher directory (default should be in Program Files), find the Savegames folder, enter the one other folder with an insane amount of characters in the name and delete the folder named 2970. That should allow you to make a new character.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://imgur.com/8Sa7num

The Community Manager have been talking on Discord with some members and make of it what you will. though judging by pics taken from people wandering outside the beta boarder. it seems to be true.

https://imgur.com/a/2QYIn

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The Community Manager have been talking on Discord with some members and make of it what you will. though judging by pics taken from people wandering outside the beta boarder. it seems to be true.

Not sure if any of that changes the gameplay mechanics and other things that I found to be utter garbage

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This doesn't really give me much confidence. "Beta" is feature complete. So from what we are experiencing they are adding to what's already there (not new stuff, just more of the same), bug fixing, and polish.

So yes the lovely networking, wonky animations, and other bug level poo poo probably gets fixed. But this is pretty much the game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dinurth posted:

This doesn't really give me much confidence. "Beta" is feature complete. So from what we are experiencing they are adding to what's already there (not new stuff, just more of the same), bug fixing, and polish.

So yes the lovely networking, wonky animations, and other bug level poo poo probably gets fixed. But this is pretty much the game.

yeah pretty much. i assume there are more side missions and random events but yeah this is the game, its ok, and i will probaly buy it

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dinurth posted:

i mean let's not undersell how important fixing those are, and how much that will improve the experience overall but yeah, the game isn't radically changing after 4 years of dev in the next 4 weeks. that's probably fine. I might pick it up for co-op fun after the first sale.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I've seen a lot of people comparing Wildlands to MGS5, and they're not wrong, but drat, Wildlands is so loving clunky. Aiming and shooting feels clunky, moving around feel like crap, the cover system sucks and the AI is pretty bad.

I really want a co-op shooter that plays like MGS5, but this isn't it. It needs a huge amount of polish to bring it anywhere close.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
If I could pick this game up for $20 and had a solid group to play with, I'm sold.

It just left me bored and wondering why after a couple hours in it's current state.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
That's the thing with these "betas" that come out these days, it essentially is a pre-release demo or the unceremonious throwing of an old bone for the public to gnaw on for a while. Some little things here or there might change, but the gameplay style is 100% locked in and isn't going to really change unless something comes around post-launch.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So if you give orders for your AI buddies to shoot they just pretty much wreck house for you. I didn't get to shoot the two torturers because I wanted to punch the girl but she downed me. The AI stormed/teleported in, killed the guy then ran back up the stairs to kill the girl and revive me.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I first started the beta completely on board, then thought the game was pretty mediocre a few hours in, and finished really liking the game after getting really efficient with all of the controls.

The game kind of has a steep learning curve with the controls which really detracts from the gameplay for the first few hours. Once you get that dialed in, it becomes really fun.

It took me forever to figure out that right on the d pad lets you switch between regular/night vision, and allows you to switch between zoom in/zoom out + iron sites/irons+scope with some of the optics. It also took me forever to figure out that right bumper (on Xbox) lets you switch between left-right over the shoulder perspective which sort of becomes pretty important when sneaking up on dudes. Vehicle controls were also confusing, but the choppers became really fun to fly once I figured it out.

That, and I really like the attention to detail with foliage, day/night cycles, and sneaking up on AI. The AI tends to have pretty far line of sight during the day which diminishes very substantially at night. A lot of the guns you pick up from enemies are a lot more fun to use than the default P416 and have much more fun optics to screw around with.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I finally got around to trying this thing. This is the first time in a long while that any game or beta has caused a full BSOD on my PC. :buddy:

First it froze for a few seconds a couple of times as I was getting from one place to the next, then the game just crashed at the stealth tutorial and Uplay caught it so that I could submit a crash report. I started it again and around 10 minutes later it crashed Windows completely as I was flying the helicopter back with Amaru. I got about half an hour of game time that was basically just repeating the same first 10 minutes a few times. I don't really have a current or high-end system (i5-2500K at 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133, 6 GB GTX 1060), but even after turning down settings it was performing really poorly and the visuals don't warrant it. I'll be curious to know if it's still a crashing mess when they release the full game, so I can figure out if it was crashing because of the Nvidia driver version I was using or because of being a very unstable and buggy beta. I tried updating to the 378.57 hotfix drivers about 10 minutes before the beta closed, and it still froze once for a few seconds in the five or so minutes I had before they shut everything down. Not that it says much, but at least it didn't crash again! Yay!

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I had a blast with the beta and the people I played with. The controls felt good once you figured them all out and I liked the non-sticky cover system. Game looked pretty good to me fully maxed out(have to enable HBAO too, which the top graphic setting doesn't set) but I have a pretty beefy computer. A lot of the cars handled like poo poo and it was super goofy that anything is an offroad monster but I'd rather have that than cars that get stuck immediately if you drive off a cliff on accident. Helicopters need to be fixed, the controls made the guns useless. The order wheel and just about everything around AI was bad. Being able to deal with an enemy that just spotted you quickly and quietly without alerting everyone else felt good. I only had one full PC hard crash.

I want to get this game but it doesn't sound like many goons like it and this game definitely isn't as fun without others to run around with. Single player would be a decent romp for awhile, I imagine, but then it would just become repetitive I think.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I enjoyed it, on low difficulties it's Just Cause or Mercenaries and on Ghost difficulty it reminds me of console GRAW. You can turn off HUD elements like markers to make it even more like old GR.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Seems like we all had sort of the same issues.

Rig:
i5 2500k @ 4.2(OC)
16gb RAM
GTX 980
Running off of an EVO 850 SSD.

Being able to play BF1, TF2, GTAV, FC4, The Division and multiple other higher end games at ultra or near ultra settings and still maintain a 55-60fps average, I was a bit surprised to jump into this and barely maintain higher than 35-37 average on high settings. Even dialing it down to medium I was still hovering between 37-50 fps for most of my gameplay. The odd thing that I noticed, however, is that no matter what was happening on screen, no matter how intense or quiet, the game almost seemed like it wanted to stay around 30 fps. Never below, not once, but always between 30-40. I found that really odd and was left wondering if its an artifact left over from hard coding FPS for the consoles.

GPU utilization was generally between 75-90% no matter what was going on. The game would feel like it was chugging along at 47 fps and the graph monitor I've got going on the second monitor is showing 76% utilization on the GPU and maybe 90% on the CPU (With spikes to 100 for both). Just didn't feel right.

Helicopters controls, while a bit of a pain in the rear end, eventually worked themselves out for me. Using the guns worked sometimes, didn't work others, since it kind of required you to mouse look to judge your aim point while actually aiming with the keyboard and trying to time the sweep just right. (Also had a hilarious instance where two wrecked cartel trucks continuously spawned 30-40 enemies at once for about 3 minutes).

Used the glitch to break past the barriers and explore the rest of the world map. Pretty neat. I like the scale and the fact that other areas presented me with SAM sites, so the helicopter isn't just going to be an end-all-be-all mode of transportation.

Playing with other people/friends was a loving blast though. Had one two man team take a bird and go gain altitude so they could parachute in while I saw in a hover about 400m off site with a guy on the bench as overwatch for the ground team. Very satisfying gun play and bullet mechanics (albeit bullet drop seems a bit extreme).

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Anyone know where I can nab one of those nVidia codes for this? I've already got a 1080 so I'm not concerned about the hardware lock-out.

I enjoyed the game for what it was, basically GTA/Farcry/MGS5. The vehicle controls were poo poo (esp. the helicopter, what the gently caress man), the AI was kid of dumb, and for some reason my CPU was pegged at 100% the whole time (i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz) which made streaming via OBS impossible. I look forward to playing it more.

If this game gets the support the Division has gotten post-release, I think it could be a great game.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Maybe this game is like Watch Dogs 2 in that it performs a lot better with more CPU cores/threads. At least in WD2, you can apparently get around a 30% boost in framerates (average and minimums) just moving from an i5 to an i7 in the same generation (like 4690K to 4790K or 6600K to 6700K), assuming you have the GPU to push that kind of performance.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I really enjoyed playing this and it's the first non-overwatch game i've been keen to play.

not sure if i'm going to drop $60 on it right now but i'd definitely consider it

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I really enjoyed playing this and it's the first non-overwatch game i've been keen to play.

not sure if i'm going to drop $60 on it right now but i'd definitely consider it

It's 18% off on green man gaming, 25% on games planet but those are region locked to outside the US apparently

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

LCL-Dead posted:

Seems like we all had sort of the same issues.

Rig:
i5 2500k @ 4.2(OC)
16gb RAM
GTX 980
Running off of an EVO 850 SSD.

I5-4690 @ 3.5
16gb of RAM
GTX 980
Running off a 2TB mechanical HDD.

Game defaulted to High graphical settings but was doing the hovering at 33-36 FPS making every thing seem sluggish ( especially vehicles ). Rather than drop graphical settings to Medium I figured I would adjust the typical offenders without sacrificing too much visual fidelity.
I changed the Temporal AA to FXAA, I changed the shadow details from High to Medium, I turned off motion blur and lens flairs ( more so because I'm not a fan of the effects ), I turned off the large terrain shadows and I turned off God Rays because that's often a major offender.
I struck gold but, but once I had a constant 60FPS I didn't go back to pin point exactly what was eating my performance.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I watched a video of the new sniper ghost warrior chris kyle simulator last night

That's what I imagined in my head for wildlands. A gritty 3rd person romp through drug addled Bolivia merc'ing dudes

Instead we get far cry with a dull setting, execution, and 'cock holster' to make the 15 year olds giggle

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
frag out

get some

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

This game is not good.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sappo569 posted:

I watched a video of the new sniper ghost warrior chris kyle simulator last night

That's what I imagined in my head for wildlands. A gritty 3rd person romp through drug addled Bolivia merc'ing dudes

Instead we get far cry with a dull setting, execution, and 'cock holster' to make the 15 year olds giggle

I just read about that new Sniper Ghost Warrior the other day and thought the same thing.

From what I'm reading in this thread, the beta was jankier than the tech test I took part in several months ago. How the gently caress do you manage to make your beta worse than your alpha :psyduck:

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

shitballs

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
honestly the game of the year is right here and y'all are just not appreciating it

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Let me ask those of you who still think this game is fun

How many times have you gone into a fight , gotten killed (probably because someone just ran in guns blazing) then you sat there waiting for 30 seconds to be revived while they cleared out of the rest of the base.

Maybe if it was once or twice a session not every 10 minutes 'Oh there goes bill again what a wacky fellow'

I thought at first the you tubers hammed it up for the sake of views. But the game actively tries to constantly gently caress you up for the sake of wacky antics

Maybe I must bitter and I wish Ubi soft would hurry up and refund my pre order

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hug a mexican posted:

honestly the game of the year is right here and y'all are just not appreciating it

I had a great time with the tech test, and I put the rough edges down to it being just that, a tech test. The guys I play stuff like this with are fully stoked for it, but we're weirdos who liked full stealthing payday 2 levels and poo poo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah the longer I played it the less impressed I was. Had some fun moments, but hate the combat and controls. I still might get it, because what else am I gonna play from mid march until next November, but it has some serious flaws.

Here's my crowning achievement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtpngGuUOOA

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah the longer I played it the less impressed I was. Had some fun moments, but hate the combat and controls. I still might get it, because what else am I gonna play from mid march until next November, but it has some serious flaws.

Here's my crowning achievement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtpngGuUOOA

I'm the bullet impacts which are louder than the gun itself firing

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah the audio balance in the game is weird as hell.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I actually appreciate how unceremonial that "bossfight" was.
When I approached the compound and noticed the jeep and helicopter conveniently placed I C4'd them just in case the enemy would use them as getaway vehicle and I was supposed to go on some crazy chase. Because that's totally what I expected.
Those two people are filth. You enter their loving insane torture dungeon, you kick down the door, shoot two rounds in their head and leave. One and done. Remember, those two are nobodies to you. Killing them was personal for the CIA agent, but not for you. It's just business, it doesn't have to be this sick finale with Mad Max Fury Road chase sequences or waves of enemies storming a compound for an epic shootout. Real life black ops missions are not carefully written GTA/Call of Duty action sequences. Most of the time you are probably going to find your targets in a toilet or sleeping.

:catstare:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What happens with invites now? Would love to kill brown people and snort their thunder powder online with my goons. XBox One: spaceecho. PM if you can help I will literally suck yo dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

fyodor posted:

What happens with invites now? Would love to kill brown people and snort their thunder powder online with my goons. XBox One: spaceecho. PM if you can help I will literally suck yo dick.

The beta is over

• Locked thread