Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I played the original launch and got pretty tired of it almost immediately, so I'll give the new hotness a shot for giggles. However, I'm a huge nerd that likes guns and stuff, so I want to aim for characters that use them (possibly in excess). I'll be picking up Punisher as my starting character because that seems par for course, but what other heroes use guns? How shooty are Deadpool and War Machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Power Bottom posted:

I played the original launch and got pretty tired of it almost immediately, so I'll give the new hotness a shot for giggles. However, I'm a huge nerd that likes guns and stuff, so I want to aim for characters that use them (possibly in excess). I'll be picking up Punisher as my starting character because that seems par for course, but what other heroes use guns? How shooty are Deadpool and War Machine?

Very, Deadpool is all about guns, swords and baysplosions and War Machine is Iron Man with bullets instead of lasers. There's also Blade, Rocket Raccoon (scifi rayguns kablammo), Black Widow, Winter Soldier, Cable (more scifi), Star-Lord (PEW PEW) and Taskmaster (semi-shooty, you can use talents to kinda Matrix him up). Iron Man can also be talented to fire nothing but rockets, rockets and more rockets with occasional bonus rockets, which are like guns but they go boom instead of splat at the end!

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I was asked for my Magneto build in sg chat.

Magneto, 2:10 ttk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYc_iYQBKE

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Lozareth posted:

I was asked for my Magneto build in sg chat.

Magneto, 2:10 ttk

not enough words 0/10

Thanks for posting your build.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

what is the new ttk expectation now? sub 2:30 with carol/mrf being king of the dummies?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anyone else getting problems with Beast crashing the game? I tried logging in, it crashed saying there were errors in the Beast stuff. I repatched, tried again, this time I got in but the game bombed with the same error when I switched to Beast.

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68

Jedit posted:

Anyone else getting problems with Beast crashing the game? I tried logging in, it crashed saying there were errors in the Beast stuff. I repatched, tried again, this time I got in but the game bombed with the same error when I switched to Beast.

I have a similar problem. Playing beast makes the game shut down within 5 mins of playing the game. Cause like, he's so bad that I have to hit alt-f4.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Shoulda made Prof X playable instead.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Mahasamatman posted:

are there any good X-Men?

Storm, Nightcrawler and (perhaps to a lesser extent) Emma Frost. I recall hearing that Cyclops and Magneto were decent. Not sure how Beast stacks up just yet. As for the rest, not a clue.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ghostlight posted:

Grinding terminal based legendary quests, or legendary quests in general.

Can you be more detailed about this? Is "do whatever your legendary quest says at all times" really the fastest way to grind XP? People talk about getting to level 60 in four hours, I just can't see how that's possible...

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

Can you be more detailed about this? Is "do whatever your legendary quest says at all times" really the fastest way to grind XP? People talk about getting to level 60 in four hours, I just can't see how that's possible...

Doing the chapter based story quests gives a huge amount of XP as you clear objectives. You can just travel power to each instance, sprint directly to the boss, and repeat.

Keep in mind that every character you get to 60 gives you a permanent XP bonus; the first few alone get you to like 75% bonus, and with a big enough roster gets you to 200%.

I am up to 170% synergy bonus and have enough boosters running to put me at like 350% bonus XP right now. I can take a hero from 1-60 in under an hour just blitzing through story mode.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

Storm, Nightcrawler and (perhaps to a lesser extent) Emma Frost. I recall hearing that Cyclops and Magneto were decent. Not sure how Beast stacks up just yet. As for the rest, not a clue.

Rogue is pretty awesome.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Tortolia posted:

Doing the chapter based story quests gives a huge amount of XP as you clear objectives. You can just travel power to each instance, sprint directly to the boss, and repeat.

Do you mean the first time you run through the story? Or can I go back and do the missions again somehow?

Tortolia posted:

Keep in mind that every character you get to 60 gives you a permanent XP bonus; the first few alone get you to like 75% bonus, and with a big enough roster gets you to 200%.

I am up to 170% synergy bonus and have enough boosters running to put me at like 350% bonus XP right now. I can take a hero from 1-60 in under an hour just blitzing through story mode.

People have talked about taking a brand-new account to its first 60 in four hours and I just do not believe that, based on my experiences so far.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 5, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ghostpilot posted:

Storm and rogue are great. Cable isn't bad, although he's probably worse off than he was before relative to other heroes. When I was idling streams for a chance at a press pack, some pubbie streamer was waxing on at length about how cyclops is the best char in the game now, but I can't be fussed to gear him up, he's so loving boring. Also I don't believe him at all.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Hauki posted:

Storm and rogue are great. Cable isn't bad, although he's probably worse off than he was before relative to other heroes. When I was idling streams for a chance at a press pack, some pubbie streamer was waxing on at length about how cyclops is the best char in the game now, but I can't be fussed to gear him up, he's so loving boring. Also I don't believe him at all.

I've seen a few cyclops in cmm past few days. They've all been waiting for someone else to kill the bosses while they sit there dead

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Jusupov posted:

I've seen a few cyclops in cmm past few days. They've all been waiting for someone else to kill the bosses while they sit there dead
Having to choose between being invulnerable during your "roots you for 5s" sig and being able to proc all 3 damage types is a tough road to walk.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Lux Aeterna posted:

what is the new ttk expectation now? sub 2:30 with carol/mrf being king of the dummies?

Currently it seems like 2:30's is normal/acceptable, low 2:00's is great, and sub-2 is broken. But most of us are still doing ttk's without stuff like full challenge bonuses and perfect pets since all the +fighting on our gear was made less than optimal so the acceptable ttk will get pushed back some.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

LordSaturn posted:

Once you're out of Story quests it's pretty much all there is left that will consistently give an experience reward. The fastest fastest way that I know of, once you're out of Story, is to only do Terminal LQs by rerolling all the time - which you need a huge bankroll to do and I personally don't think is worth it unless you're racing a whole bunch of boosts ticking down.

LordSaturn posted:

People have talked about taking a brand-new account to its first 60 in four hours and I just do not believe that, based on my experiences so far.
I have no idea how people can be doing that beyond just whaling out on a bunch of potions, but then I haven't levelled with less than +270% for quite a while now so my perspective is completely skewed.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone have a trip report on the new powers Rogue gets from Jubilee & Beast?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Jubilee's power is crud from what I hear. Too little damage on too long a cooldown (plus a 1.5s stun not worth giving a toss about). At least it looks very pretty?

Beast's passive restores 100% of your spirit and grants a damage/crit buff when you activate movement powers four times within five seconds. Sinister's teleport has five charges, so you can use it to proc the buff and still have one charge left over for actual movement purposes. Her flight power also qualifies! Seems questionable whether this is really worth giving up a passive slot for, though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Been fooling with mental Jean a bit. Mental means you get a vulnerability applier and don't have to stand at close range for as long to use your ult. It also means slightly worse survivability and marginally worse spirit (unless you spec for a free spender).

I also found out that you can fix her lack of vulnerability appliers with an artifact you can buy with Danger Room tokens. Fixing her vulnerability with an artifact also makes up for the fact that she could use one or two more slots for attacks.

Either way, there's not a lot of difference between mental and energy builds. Obviously the gear is different, but I'm not really going to pretend to know what the BIS gearing is any more. For powers:

1. Spender for filler. Telekinetic Throw is the go-to spender for most builds. If you're specced for Phoenix Ascending (fourth tier, second choice) or using a Cyclops Was Right T-Shirt as Phoenix JG, use Psychic Hammer for its faster attack speed (in the former case) or its area tag (in the latter case).
  2. Psychic Maelstrom / Phoenix Maelstrom - You can replace this with Neural Network if you're going strictly for single-target TTK.
  3. Crushing Telekinesis (sig)
  4. Expel Phoenix Force / Dark Phoenix
  5. Telekinetic Charge / Phoenix Charge
  6. Psychokinetic Barrier - You can swap this for Telekinetic Slam, and they're both great.
  7. Two open slots

The options for open slots, organized by my taste:
  • Psychic Lethargy - Mental JG only. This applies vulnerability, and the large slow is nice. It's not great damage and definitely not spammable; don't bother pressing it except on bosses or mini-bosses.
  • Tactical Destruction - AOE autobrut on a reasonable cooldown. You can only take this if you take the appropriate fourth-tier talent, but the only reason you wouldn't do that is because you're having spirit issues.
  • Debris Storm - Long cooldown, but this is like having a second sig. Most characters don't have a sig that is as fun or strong as Debris Storm. It's just hard to give up a slot for another long-CD attack.
  • Telepathic Illusion - Taunting target dummy abilities are a strong defensive option, they just don't contribute any damage.
  • Psychokinetic Implosion - Only worth it on energy JG, due to talent conflicts. Pseudo-healing attached to a decent AOE.
  • untalented Telekinetic Slam - This is an irresistable stun, so it's great for breaking bosses out of wind-up attacks.

Neural Panic and Telepathic/Phoenix Drain are trash.

Talents are pretty obvious, based on which attacks you take.
  1. Unleash the Phoenix (first) or Omega Telepath (second), depending on which sort of build you want. I can't really see a practical use for Tempered Force in a normal duration fight.
  2. Telepathic Dominance (third) is a must for mental builds. For energy builds, Friends of the First Class (second) is the weak default choice even if you don't use Illusion; Psionic Barrier (first) makes Implosion usable but you probably won't have room for it.
  3. Font of Power (third) is the way to go for energy builds and most mental builds. Cycle of the Phoenix (second) is an option for mental builds with a 25% health/spirit catalyst, because it frees up a slot for an extra attack.
  4. Environmental Hazard (third) is the only way to get Tactical Destruction, which is great. If you're having spirit issues or don't want to use Tactical Destruction, Phoenix Ascending (second) is the way to go.
  5. Controlled Engagement (second) is better survivability and better spirit. Vertigo (third) is more damage and a guaranteed stun. Both are great.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

gently caress football forever, what a dumb sport

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Did you count out Touchdown Tom?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Satan always wins when football happens.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Satan won tonight, that's for certain. I don't know how else to explain that game.

Also, anyone have a good rogue build? The completionist in me wants to fill out all of rogue's slots, which means having to do a green muscle and an onslaught at some point.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Saint Freak posted:

Did you count out Touchdown Tom?
i did. i did it.

I counted out Touchdown Tom

I knew better, and I did it anyway

this is my fault. i have failed you all. Please, please leave the room if this will... if this will affect you.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Lozareth posted:

gently caress football forever, what a dumb sport

With dumb OT rules.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

haha sport

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
SPORTS

GO

SPORTS

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

what child did Brady sacrifice at halftime to pull that off

FranktheBank posted:

With dumb OT rules.

also this

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Asros/status/828444684506714114

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

TAKE THAT LEFTIES

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/828439818875109377

Tweet plagiarism is serious business :argh:

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68
Now that the election is over, is Nate Silver gonna get back into investigative journalism covering hit video game marvel heroes?

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68

punchymcpunch posted:

TAKE THAT LEFTIES

Before I read the post I legit thought Asros' tweet would've been something about not supporting left handed mouse use or something. Hitler was left handed after all. Punching a left handed person is A-OK in my book.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

hey that's the weird trump-loving furry artist for my stupid superhero diablo game

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Erdricks posted:

Satan won tonight, that's for certain. I don't know how else to explain that game.

Also, anyone have a good rogue build? The completionist in me wants to fill out all of rogue's slots, which means having to do a green muscle and an onslaught at some point.

Solar strike
Vanish
Crimson Sweep
Infernal Meteor
Raging Cajun
Curse of Hellfire
Wrath of Muspleheim
Sig

Spiderman + Domino + your choice passives (i use venom)

Getting offense from defensive stats is great, plus everything is tagged area so you can use a grenade. I use a shield of perseus as legendary, makes her tanky as gently caress while still putting out great damage from the dodge stacking.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jedit posted:

IF this is a serious post I played him fine about a week ago up to level 40.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/312155/hero-surveys-for-the-biggest-update-ever

I have to imagine their results are going to get skewed by the people still disgruntled by the movement changes voting 1 for every hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I voted :five: for everyone just so Gaz doesn't get discouraged.