Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm going to get some napoleonic French to do in between bolt action squads, break things up with some color. I had been doing guild ball models but I'm almost out.

French army, best army.

I'm about to finish my first units of carabiniers, but ran out of bases. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Colonial Air Force posted:

Ooh, I wonder if they'll make a Gvevny for World of Warships....

Yeah, the World of Warships branded model kits are stuff I could get anywhere, like the Tirpitz. I keep hoping for the Chapayev or paper ships like the Zao/Type A 1941 Cruiser.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

gently caress it, I bought the bolt action book, a box of plastic soviets, a t34 and a squad of female riflemen. Before any of it arrives, are there any support weapons/mortars or anything you guys recommend for a soviet platoon?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

lenoon posted:

gently caress it, I bought the bolt action book, a box of plastic soviets, a t34 and a squad of female riflemen. Before any of it arrives, are there any support weapons/mortars or anything you guys recommend for a soviet platoon?

The Zis-3 divisional gun is a great value because it can fire as a medium AT gun or a light howitzer. Very useful.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lenoon posted:

I've never played the game nor have I opened my Soviet starter army box but I have an 82mm mortar so I reccomend

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I haven't played Bolt Action but I've cursed a lot about Maxim guns in CoC.

We hates them.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I've been told by my partner that she's getting impatient waiting for me to hurry up and paint up a couple of retinues for Lion Rampant. :v:

So I'm planning to grab a box of Perry Hundred Years War infantry and get cracking. After they arrive I'll be posting progress in this thread as a way of keeping track myself and sharing my progress.

I'm putting everything else on hold for this because I should probably play some of these games more often than I switch painting projects.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So thinking about what's lying around in my house, I've got a full platoon from the FestungsKompanie box, two Beireit Platoon packs, the old resin and metal GepanzertePanzergrenadier HQ box set, and most of a PSC Early War German Infantry box, all of which are doing nothing ever, because... wargamers.

Given that this means I probably have spares of literally everything that a Landser could ever have been issued, what exactly goes into a 1945 Heer platoon for CoC that'll give me an excuse to dig these all out and put togther some nightmare mix of Kar98Ks, StG44s and MG42s with literally all the homegrown AT options ever available to Nazi Germany?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Once again I'd like to pimp the World of Tanks papercraft kits here for people getting into BA. They are really well made, you can build one in a few hours, they look good on the table and they are in 28mm.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

Given that this means I probably have spares of literally everything that a Landser could ever have been issued, what exactly goes into a 1945 Heer platoon for CoC that'll give me an excuse to dig these all out and put togther some nightmare mix of Kar98Ks, StG44s and MG42s with literally all the homegrown AT options ever available to Nazi Germany?
Ask and ye shall receive:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hyCsuOONh_t-8IV6h8leAIXzHFypPoLaHrbKB-KEGAo/edit

This isn't a Heer platoon, it's a Volksgrenadier platoon, which is fine because those were the units that were most likely to be issued the StG44s. But the platoon is 1 rifle squad and 2 assault squads, so there's still lots of Kar98Ks in there as well. MG42s were organic to each squad, and all of the AT options are given in the support list. I think it's pretty much exactly what you want.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Are you sure you don't mean Volksturm for non-Heer there? The Volksgrenadiers were just six battalion divisions, rather than the normal nine, with lots of automatic weapons. Volksturm was the old dudes and kids with a single Panzerfaust and harsh language.

Looks like I can scrounge up most of that, but I might need to make a few Panzerfaust out of pins and greenstuff to sling on backs. FoW tends to just give you one per platoon rather than per squad. Also rifle grenades at 15mm are going to be so indistinguishable from plain old rifles that I might just not bother there. Got most of the support options floating around too :getin: Much obliged.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The link is pretty accurate for a Volksgrenadier Company.

I'd love to see a CoC Volkssturm platoon though.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Volkstrum Platoon

Platoon Leader - Han "Lefty" Schneider (Wounded 5 times in action, still has one good arm)

Squad 1 - 7 Middle aged men with refurbished WW1 rifles
Squad 2 - 6 Tweens armed with BB guns plus Old Man Jenkins with a musket
Squad 3 - Mostly stray dogs

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the idea of playing with volkstrum is pretty loving grim

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Checked the topic on TMP:

"Consider using some smaller figs too, like the 25mm scale from Battlefront, which would work well for teenagers, compared to 28mms for adults."

Welp.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I want to build an army of late-war troops that is so utterly depressing my opponent will forfeit.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

target that pigtailed girl with the panzerfaust!

:smith:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

At least i haven't seen Napoleonic manufacturers making malnourished drummer boys.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Eh, I have no real objection to that kind of poo poo on a theoretical level. Wargames are about exploring different aspects of popular wars and to be honest the Volksturm are a hugely interesting subject and are obviously tied with an inherent tense of intense fatalism which means people will naturally be very attracted to them in some way (see also: Polish resistance, Anti-Soviet partisan forces, Forest Brothers, etc). That being said I wouldn't even touch that with a ten foot pole. I got offered recently a LOT and I mean a LOT of money to do a commission that was painting two opposing forces for a Battle of Berlin scenario table and I turned it down because I just didn't want to spend that much creative energy on something so god drat depressing. The dude had a lot of really well done pieces and stuff but it was all just so loving grim. Child soldiers is a little dark for me, I even had a few models for them that I got in the process of assembling my 1/72 ImagiNation project and I have no idea what to do with them except maybe convert them into non-soldiers or something.

lilljonas posted:

At least i haven't seen Napoleonic manufacturers making malnourished drummer boys.

That's more of a AWI/Age of Sail thing, no?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

So thinking about what's lying around in my house, I've got a full platoon from the FestungsKompanie box, two Beireit Platoon packs, the old resin and metal GepanzertePanzergrenadier HQ box set, and most of a PSC Early War German Infantry box, all of which are doing nothing ever, because... wargamers.

There are three late war platoons in the COC book.

quote:

Infantry

Rating: Regular 0, Green -5

Senior Leader with MP40
Panzerschreck Team, 2 crew

3x Squads
Junior Leader with MP40
LMG Team: MG34 or MG42, two crew. One Rifleman.
Rifle Team: Six Riflemen
Each squad has one Panzerfaust

quote:

Panzergrenadier Platoon

Rating: Regular +1, Elite +7

Senior Leader with MP40

3x Squads
LMG Team: MG42, two crew. Three riflemen.
LMG Team: MG42, two crew. Two riflemen.
Each squad has two panzerfausts.

quote:

Fallschirmjäger Platoon

Rating: Regular +4, Elite +10
Senior Leader with MP40
Senior Leader with MP40

3x Squads
LMG Team: MG42, two crew. Two riflemen. One man with MP40.
LMG Team: MG42, two crew. Two riflemen.
Each squad has two panzerfausts.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That's more of a AWI/Age of Sail thing, no?

Yeah, kind of, but you could join the British army at age 16 for example, so there were plenty of teenagers on the Napoleonic battlefields. In reality recruiters would accept even younger kids, so soldiers in their mid-teens were not unusual. AFAIK the whole "drummer boy" was a habit that was more common in the Americas, with plenty of drummer boys (and young cadets) fighting in the AWI and ACW as young as 9, or even 7 in extreme cases.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 6, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

Are you sure you don't mean Volksturm for non-Heer there?
No, I definitely wasn't talking Volksturm. Even though Volksgrenadier were an actual uniformed army unit, I guess I distinguish them from regular (Heer) infantry because their units were organized so differently. But that's probably just me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'd rather see Volksturm on the table than a bunch of SS ubermensch played some Nazi apologist.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

No, I definitely wasn't talking Volksturm. Even though Volksgrenadier were an actual uniformed army unit, I guess I distinguish them from regular (Heer) infantry because their units were organized so differently. But that's probably just me.
I don't think it's entirely possible to be definitive about them and where exactly they fall, because Germany, ErsatzStoff, and 1944+ "congratulations you're all in the SS now! :haw:" recruitment policies.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Indeed.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tomorrow it's time to go back to Russia 1812.
We're gonna playtest SP2 again, with the proposed shock saving throws posted earlier. We also have some test rules to simplify nco's, we'll see if they work or not.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd rather see Volksturm on the table than a bunch of SS ubermensch played some Nazi apologist.

Same. I'd love to see lists for VS / FFI (maquis?) / partizans in CoC, but I don't know enough about the paramilitary of WW2 to put them together.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Russian penal conscripts vs. Volksturm

One shot fired, misses, both squads morale broken

Stuff like this happens in combat mission. If you set both sides troops to the worst quality possible you'll have like a guy fire his own machine gun and suppress himself

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Of course comrade. Machinegun very dangerous!

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

:agreed: a bleak end of days style game/campaign might actually be entertaining in a set-up to lose but see how long you can last sort of way

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

working mom posted:

:agreed: a bleak end of days style game/campaign might actually be entertaining in a set-up to lose but see how long you can last sort of way

It would be like And Then There Were None except w/ germans

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
A dude wrote up a thing on our recent local wargaming day

http://antonswargame.blogspot.com/2017/02/flintcon-session-one-photo-extravaganza.html

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sounds like the Craptech games of Battletech we used to play. Broken agri-mechs with machine guns taped on and pre-game damage.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

working mom posted:

I should say that the scenario table I mentioned earlier was based on this. The players played a variety of forces with specific missions but all of them were Germans. The idea was that you calculated the advance of the Russians through the board which closed off access to parts of it as the game went on. And so you's have one player playing HJ's trying to escape the city and stuff like that(a thing based on a real historical event covered in some detail in the excellent Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow).

Arquinsiel posted:

Sounds like the Craptech games of Battletech we used to play. Broken agri-mechs with machine guns taped on and pre-game damage.

Or how sometimes in games of Mordheim you need bodies to gain XP so you have your decent warband backed up by "Larry the guy with a knife".

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Once again I'd like to pimp the World of Tanks papercraft kits here for people getting into BA. They are really well made, you can build one in a few hours, they look good on the table and they are in 28mm.

here is the link, I think

http://worldoftanks.ru/ru/media/tag/28/

xutech fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 6, 2017

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Can anyone extrapolate on the "myth of the drummer boy"? How is it a myth? I only get google hits for TMP which is down (as usual).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fish and Chimps posted:

Can anyone extrapolate on the "myth of the drummer boy"? How is it a myth? I only get google hits for TMP which is down (as usual).

Courtesy of google caching

quote:

I notice that in the Victrix packs the drummer figure is considerably shorter than the rest of the (uniform height) figures. I guess the idea is that this is a drummer BOY and the bare head provided with the pack, looking a little small, is intended for this figure.

At Waterloo and Quatre Bras there were 304 drummers in frontline British regiments. Of these, 2 were killed – Edward Snell of the 1st Foot Guards killed at QB and Thomas Elliot of 30th Foot killed at Waterloo.

26 were wounded:
2 from 1st foot guards
1 from 1st Foot
1 from 14th Foot
1 from 30th Foot
6 from 32nd Foot (the massacred regiment never mentioned in Waterloo histories)
3 from 33rd Foot
1 from 40th Foot
1 from 42nd Foot
3 from 44th Foot
3 from 73rd Foot
2 from 79th foot

Looking at a cross-section of 100 of these men, only 10% were aged 16 or 17 with the average age being around 25, the same as all other ranks. I think, therefore, the idea that drummers were predominantly young is a myth. It was, in fact, just as usual to appoint the OLDEST members of the battalion as drummers. At Waterloo the 23rd Foot included Drummer John Leeds who, having enlisted in 1802 aged 49 would have been 62 at Waterloo (I have excluded him from the figures producing the average age of 25).

As far as height goes, while several Drummers were short – Drummer Robert Mew (again the 23rd Foot) was only 4'10" – there were similar numbers of men of above average height.

I also think that the image of the bareheaded drummer boy is also a myth born of romantic Victorian paintings. Quartermaster correspondence from 1815 contains lists of men to be deducted the cost of their shakos lost in battle at Quatre Bras or Waterloo! Only those listed as having lost their "caps" when severely wounded are spared this penalty. I should think, therefore, that all ranks held onto their shako at all costs!

quote:

@ Lord Hill,

You are quite right to cite the Victorians as being mainly responsible for this kind of sentimentalised nonsense. In earlier periods, it was quite common for sons of serving soldiers – often as young as 7 or 8 – to be included on the roll, usually to allow more pay and rations for men with families to feed. Often these boys were listed as drummers (which attracted more pay), and they were undoubtedly taken on campaign, though generally given roles that kept them away from the enemy during battle. Post F&IW/SYW, contrary to popular belief, drummers were not used to issue commands on the battlefield, usually only the drum major being kept as an orderly drummer for the CO. In the AWI, older drummers were given muskets and placed in the ranks.

Lady Butler's painting of the fifes and drums of the 57th Foot at Albuhera is a case in point. Shown as a group of boys standing on the right flank of the battalion's line, investigation by the National Army Museum showed that these musicians in 1811 had an average age of 26!

That said, my own research into the 23rd Foot in the AWI and just after, showed that by 1786 the musicians (drums and band) included men whose length of service meant that typically they had "enlisted" between the ages of 9 and 13 (one was only 7). However, almost all of these men had spent the AWI in GB or Ireland on recruiting duty.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks! Interesting. I'll ask a colleague about boy musicians in the Danish army. He might shed some light on our customs. I seriously doubt that anyone had many qualms about sending boys to war though. 12-13 year old ship's boys was very common in the Danish navy.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I got around to organize a Table of Contents for our monster Stalino CoC campaign. Now we just have to... you know... write the last 5-6 battle reports, and it's done.

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/stalino-1941/table-of-contents

Just in time for our monster North Africa CoC campaign! :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I asked the curator about drummer boys. He agreed that they were not as prevalent as some people might think, but they were there. Age limit in the Danish army during the 18th century was 15. So there :effort:

lilljonas posted:

I got around to organize a Table of Contents for our monster Stalino CoC campaign. Now we just have to... you know... write the last 5-6 battle reports, and it's done.

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/stalino-1941/table-of-contents

Just in time for our monster North Africa CoC campaign! :P

Nice! Looking forward to it! We're finally going to move on the pint-sized campaign, in spite of the fact we're all lazy uncoordinated buggers, and I still need to paint 20 15mm brits. The first couple of games will be introduction games to get used to the rules, and maybe get motivated to paint the last minis. I'll try to take pictures of the proper campaign games to post here.