Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Libs think that liberal hegemony will last forever. Like, they all scoffed at Fukuyama's End of History, but the way they act makes it clear that they actually believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm telling you, smash a paper bag full of nair on his head

You get the triple bonus of him freaking out because he thinks he's been doused in acid, him realizing he's almost completely unharmed well after it's too late to save face, and his stupid loving hair will all slough off in a patchy mess

You wouldn't have to go to the trouble of putting it in a bag, just squeeze it directly from the tube, without startling him. Not only will he be walking about unawares with a load of gloop on his head, it might remain on there long enough to actually remove enough hair that he wouldn't be able to comb over the bald patches (this stuff needs to remain on for at least five minutes - and often longer - to visibly remove any hair, in my experience). I expect that, if he started freaking out, some of his servants would come at once with bottles of water and wet wipes to clean the terrible potion off him.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Most beautiful interception I've seen in all my life :discourse:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus, i am starting to think 2 punchs wasnt enough for spencer.

also lol did brady get hosed up?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus, i am starting to think 2 punchs wasnt enough for spencer.

also lol did brady get hosed up?

I think he's been sacked 4-5 times already.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why did Twitter not take a stand and delete his account rather than give him a blue checkmark?

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Montasque posted:

I think he's been sacked 4-5 times already.

they gonna kill that one
he better hush his mouth

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
So out of curiosity, has someone worked out how many of the people turning up to Milo's speech were Nazis? Are they all Nazis for wanting to hear him speak?

I ask because the Antifa beat up quite a few people; is everyone here saying those people were all Nazis?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Plucky Brit posted:

So out of curiosity, has someone worked out how many of the people turning up to Milo's speech were Nazis? Are they all Nazis for wanting to hear him speak?

I ask because the Antifa beat up quite a few people; is everyone here saying those people were all Nazis?

Those poor Nazi supporters, they were just fasci-curious.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Ace of Baes posted:

Those poor Nazi supporters, they were just fasci-curious.

Er, Nazi supporters, meaning Milo is a Nazi?

Are you saying a gay Jewish man is a Nazi?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Plucky Brit posted:

You say a Nazi, and I say a Fascist. You say Pinochet, and I say Falangist. Nazi-Fascist, Pinochet-Falangist, let's punch their fuckin heads

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You say a Nazi, and I say a Fascist. You say Pinochet, and I say Falangist. Nazi-Fascist, Pinochet-Falangist, let's punch their fuckin heads

I see. I'm calling you a Fascist. Now I get to punch you in the head, right?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Plucky Brit posted:

Yes. There were literally jewish nazi's during world war 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Goldberg

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Plucky Brit posted:

this post is really dumb btw

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/17/gay-rights-have-made-us-dumber-its-time-to-get-back-in-the-closet/

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Plucky Brit posted:

I see. I'm calling you a Fascist. Now I get to punch you in the head, right?

No, but liberals like you get a swirlie.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Liberals love to condescend to the left, because the left challenges their self image in the way the right doesn't.

Liberals love to see themselves as the most moral people to ever exist, they love to pretend they are performing incredible sacrifices over the most minor bullshit. The left challenges this, and exposes their hypocrisy. So any opportunity they get to tut-tut, they naturally take.

But they've never been victimized by people like Milo or their supporters, they've never been threatened, so of course they never ever personally get to experience the downsides of their ideas, all of those issues are externalized onto others.

Does it matter to liberals that Milo has repeatedly libeled other students, at his previous talks? Does it matter to liberals that he's repeatedly twisted the truth for his own personal gain, has acquired a devout following of an assorted bundle of racists, sexists, nazis and just plain old assholes? Of course not, they're safe, they're fine, they have to sacrifice nothing. But someone suggests that liberals are enabling nazis and fascist? Boy howdy, ate you gonna get an earful.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Liberals hate antifa and violent protests because it's violates their doctrine of needing everything to be managed and followed by the rules, both literally and rhetorically.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The thing is the libs who will be the most ardent against antifa probably lock their car when a poor looking person walks by so there's not a very high chance they'll do anything to prevent antifa other than wag their fingers and defend people who want to commit genocides right to buy theaters and auditoriums at public campuses and repeatedly doxx and call for the harassment of marginalized people.

The good news is I feel most people are learning to tune these libs out, because, similar to gun control, it doesnt really fit into their platform in an appealing way, if anything the fact that liberals and centerists are proclaiming the right to nazis speak at these campuses only helps to push people more to the left in search of ideas that arent stupid as gently caress.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Too bad that fascist sympathizing libs like Bill Maher exist

Srsly tho, if antifas start beating up people who merely show up for milo talks then that's uncool and bad

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I'm amazed that Americans are apparently fine with shutting down free speech for people with unsavoury views. As far as I'm concerned this is the reason Trump rose to power in the first place; the left shut down debate on important issues by labelling anybody with a dissenting opinion as a racist bigoted sexist. This didn't mean they won; on the contrary it allowed the views to go unchallenged and fester which culminated in the election we just witnessed.

As Orwell said, Fascist has become a meaningless term which is now used to define anything seen as bad. If that is enough of a reason to assault another person, you're going to have a hell of a lot of blood on the streets. Also, gangs of masked people dressed in black beating people with sticks and shouting 'Nazi!' 'Fascist!' is not going to win people over to the left.

I don't like some people's viewpoints. I still don't want to ban them from speaking. It's not just preservation of free speech; it's the fact that openly debating them is the only way they're going to change their views.

Milo's book has just reached top of the Amazon bestseller list. What on earth makes you think that the left will win by rioting?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Plucky Brit posted:

I'm amazed that Americans are apparently fine with shutting down free speech for people with unsavoury views. As far as I'm concerned this is the reason Trump rose to power in the first place; the left shut down debate on important issues by labelling anybody with a dissenting opinion as a racist bigoted sexist. This didn't mean they won; on the contrary it allowed the views to go unchallenged and fester which culminated in the election we just witnessed.

As Orwell said, Fascist has become a meaningless term which is now used to define anything seen as bad. If that is enough of a reason to assault another person, you're going to have a hell of a lot of blood on the streets. Also, gangs of masked people dressed in black beating people with sticks and shouting 'Nazi!' 'Fascist!' is not going to win people over to the left.

I don't like some people's viewpoints. I still don't want to ban them from speaking. It's not just preservation of free speech; it's the fact that openly debating them is the only way they're going to change their views.

Milo's book has just reached top of the Amazon bestseller list. What on earth makes you think that the left will win by rioting?

This is truly the worst take.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Plucky Brit posted:

I'm amazed that Americans are apparently fine with shutting down free speech for people with unsavoury views.
He doesn't just have unsavoury views, he bullies and harasses individuals and incites his followers to do the same. Standing up in front of an angry mob and saying "here is this person you should hate because of who she is" isn't really free speech.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Plucky Brit posted:

Source quotes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Plucky Brit posted:

I'm amazed that Americans are apparently fine with shutting down free speech for people with unsavoury views.

this guy posted:

Maybe some of the people in this thread haven't seen this, but it seems like yet again it's up to us Brits to show you the light:

greetings, friend from the monarchist pedophile island that would be speaking german today if we hadn't come to save you from nazism last time

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

duh havent you guys seen classic movies about the topic like debating private ryan, pedantry at the gates, or even inglorious strawmens

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Plucky Brit posted:

Milo's book has just reached top of the Amazon bestseller list.

This thread was meant to be a warning.

I was too late.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Plucky Brit posted:

milo goes to universities and deliberately outs (against their will) students who are trans, or undocumented, or whatever

now he doesn't overtly instruct all the dudebros in his audience to go harass the students he outs, but oh boy let me tell you about this thing called subtext

getting him bestseller money from amazon is worth it if it gets universities to stop inviting him to their campuses and puts an end to his harassment campaign

besides he's just gonna put all that bestseller money up his nose anyway

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
IN THIS CORNER: umberto eco, world-renowned italian author and professor at (among others) columbia and harvard, who grew up under an actual fascist regime, who spent sixty years receiving accolades and honorary doctorates for writing about philosophy and what words mean, representing the view that fascism is a real and living ideology with an identifiable set of characteristics

IN THE OTHER CORNER: some random guy from derbyshire-upon-fauntleroy who thinks that americans are dipshits despite this happening in his own country (and then the public voting in agreement w/ that guy)

it's gonna be the contest of the century

Baku has issued a correction as of 11:08 on Feb 6, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Plucky Brit posted:

Well, broadly speaking, the views expressed here aren't the majority views - the majority of the US is liberal, in one way or another, so appealing to 'free speech' is automatically going to get press.

But your characterisation of the left here is totally bullshit, and I suspect part of the reason you're choosing to interpret this issue in the way you have. Over the Obama presidency, only one side refused to ever negotiate, refused to compromise, refused to debate honestly. Guess what? They won the last election. Playing 'fair' is for losers, that's the lesson of the last election.

That's also appropriate to people like Milo, who has very intentionally being stretching the definition of what's reasonably defined as free speech. He hasn't played fair, neither should the people opposing him. It's unfortunate that this had also given him press, but there's no good choice here for the left. Not opposing him means letting him get away, scot free, with directly targeting vulnerable people, inciting hatred, but using his followers as a proxy for actual violent actions. Opposing means upsetting liberals. There is no good choice. The fact that there is no good choice is a consequence of the current political environment, but that can't be changed, so you make the best decision you can.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Well, broadly speaking, the views expressed here aren't the majority views - the majority of the US is liberal, in one way or another, so appealing to 'free speech' is automatically going to get press.

But your characterisation of the left here is totally bullshit, and I suspect part of the reason you're choosing to interpret this issue in the way you have. Over the Obama presidency, only one side refused to ever negotiate, refused to compromise, refused to debate honestly. Guess what? They won the last election. Playing 'fair' is for losers, that's the lesson of the last election.

That's also appropriate to people like Milo, who has very intentionally being stretching the definition of what's reasonably defined as free speech. He hasn't played fair, neither should the people opposing him. It's unfortunate that this had also given him press, but there's no good choice here for the left. Not opposing him means letting him get away, scot free, with directly targeting vulnerable people, inciting hatred, but using his followers as a proxy for actual violent actions. Opposing means upsetting liberals. There is no good choice. The fact that there is no good choice is a consequence of the current political environment, but that can't be changed, so you make the best decision you can.

what this guy said

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Like ask yourself this question: why does anarchist smashing shops get more play, than the continual transparent GOP efforts at voter map manipulations? The answer is: becauae liberals are used to talking about how bad Republicans are, so their blatant crimes get normalized. It's comforting, to them, to have them as the bag guy. Same with Nazis "oh they're terrible, but we have to be better than them."

But do they suffer because of these problems? Nope. They don't live in Michigan, you see. The side effects are so very far away from them. They don't have to personally fret about the existence of injustice, because they are never the victims.

But anything that deflates that little bubble of self worth they have, based on them being oh so enlightened, the elite, that's a threat to their pride.

~~~

*walls up to victim*

Victim: help, I've been brutalized by police, poisoned by drinking water, targeted by mobs, effectively disenfranchised from our democracy, and I'm poor as poo poo. Can help me? If not, can you at least punish the people who did this to me?

Liberal: Oh poor you! But no. I'm not going to do anything about it, because then I might have to compromise my stupid values. Don't worry though, I'll be sure to use your existence and plight for my next celebrity charity ball. Because When They Go Low, We Go High.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

When They Go Low, We Get High

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Still think you should double check your intended nazi face-target is confirmed on twitter before a symbolic punch. Cant be punching everyone fash-curious.

....or should you :crossarms:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

rudatron posted:

Liberals love to condescend to the left, because the left challenges their self image in the way the right doesn't.

Liberals love to see themselves as the most moral people to ever exist, they love to pretend they are performing incredible sacrifices over the most minor bullshit. The left challenges this, and exposes their hypocrisy. So any opportunity they get to tut-tut, they naturally take.

I tend to frame it in terms of a heroic historical narrative. 'Left' liberals like to think of themselves as the left, the heroes of history engaged in a battle for good with the right, the (sometimes honourable) bad guys. So being opposed by the right validates this self image. Being challenged from the left undercuts this idea and positions them as the bad guys according to their own professed ideals of aiding the downtrodden, advancing toward a better world as the heralds of Progress, etc.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Its weird its almost like identifying with a group rather than as an individual helps you make poorer decisions

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

*puts on liberal-vision goggles*

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Yeah most people believe they are in possession of moral rectitude and have no major philosophical failings. Liberals define themselves as broadly compassionate and caring and selfless, and the right doesn't call this into question. It's hardly the fault of the liberals, they've been programmed that way by consumptive ethics like "green capitalism" and project (red) or whatever.

Leftism brings the lie to light, and that causes an identity crisis that provokes an intensively negative response because they have no framework for dealing with people who espouse more radical compassion and caring than they do. Again, because our society doesn't teach a framework for having a moral failure. We say vegans are crazy and unrealistic because we don't want to confront the fact that we aren't behaving as morally as we could reasonably be.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bushiz posted:

We say vegans are crazy and unrealistic because we don't want to confront the fact that we aren't behaving as morally as we could reasonably be.

No i say vegans are crazy because holy poo poo, life sucks enough without being an having to be an apostle for kale. I mean if thats your jam then great, but much like atheism and sexuality, its something that is none of my business and id rather NOT have to hear about every goddamn conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
See?