Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bring back the digg button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ghostlight posted:

There should also be an option so you could quickly see which were the best/most liked replies in a thread.

It's called emptyquoting.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
How about anyone can see the Likes, but only users with plat can Like? Solves the issue where you'd have to treat disreputable free-to-posts' opinions as equal.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Not having up/down votes is one of the biggest strengths of SA. I know this isn't an original thought but it should be constantly made.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How about the likes are totally anonymous, and are only displayed to you, privately, for your own posts. Talking publicly about your like counts, even ironically, is a bannable offense. Thus you get the inflated sense of self dick measuring, but you're disinclined to talk about it lest you eat a ban so people don't get into shitposting dumb memes for likes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How about putting "like" and "dislike" buttons on posts, but they literally do nothing

Get the visceral thrill of telling the soulless machine your opinion, without any of the downsides

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What if we just put a button on posts that popped up a comical picture just for you, but when it's later discovered to be a sex offender's face we just change the jpg it's programmed to because nobody can figure out how to even change that much on the forums let alone implement any other kind of feature.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How about we all kill ourselves and then we never have to talk about this again

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Aesop Poprock posted:

:yeah:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Aesop Poprock posted:

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Grem posted:

Why? Who the gently caress cares?

One simple reason: less clutter. Instead of a good post being followed by several pages of emptyquoting, single emoticon replies and other meaningless replies to show that goons agree with a post or find it funny there would be an incrementing number instead.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

kjetting posted:

One simple reason: less clutter. Instead of a good post being followed by several pages of emptyquoting, single emoticon replies and other meaningless replies to show that goons agree with a post or find it funny there would be an incrementing number instead.

Emptyquotes are probatable, as are single emoticon replies. Other "meaningless" replies are probatable if they don't contribute to the topic. Adding a like/dislike button just adds unnecessary dickwaving and will lead toward the shitacular system Reddit has in place.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Screaming Idiot posted:

Emptyquotes are probatable, as are single emoticon replies. Other "meaningless" replies are probatable if they don't contribute to the topic. Adding a like/dislike button just adds unnecessary dickwaving and will lead toward the shitacular system Reddit has in place.

This hasn't really been true for a while. I mean yes technically if a mod is feeling dickish sure but that basically doesn't happen outside of humorless subforums for angry jerks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

VanSandman posted:

This hasn't really been true for a while. I mean yes technically if a mod is feeling dickish sure but that basically doesn't happen outside of humorless subforums for angry jerks.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

More like oldquoteless

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

:yeah::same::agreed::vince:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bradzilla posted:

"oldpainless" posted:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Agreed. Instead of upvotes and downvotes it should be one button that says 'kill you are selve'

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

YOSPOS has a "Nice" button that pops up a picture of Bill Cosby, just do that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

What if we just put a button on posts that popped up a comical picture just for you, but when it's later discovered to be a sex offender's face we just change the jpg it's programmed to because nobody can figure out how to even change that much on the forums let alone implement any other kind of feature.

Is such a thing even possible?

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I remember when I had wondered aloud whether SA could be improved with per-post voting systems.

As I recall, the response I got (aside from SMDYFM), was:

PROS of Up/Down-Voting posts:
Good for lurker participation
Good for certain search metrics
Numbers... good for business?

CONS of Up/Down-Voting posts:
Poster bragging rights
Reduces overall thread contributions
Easier for trolls to shut down posters
Easier for anonymous groupthink policing
Clutter / Programming Issues / Pointlessness

Let the posts fall where they may. :agesilaus:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

imo having a way to give a thumbs-up or emoticon reply to a post would be nice for times when im catching up on a thread and don't want to emptyquote something that was posted weeks or months ago

on the other hand this topic is an awful bikeshedding honeypot and every goon has their own pet theory about the ~objectively superior~ way to do it so good luck reaching any kind of consensus

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think things might change when the forum gets moved to new code, which will open all sorts of new possibilities up.
Until then, not sure it matters

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Lol if you thing we're actually going to survive that long.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo having a way to give a thumbs-up or emoticon reply to a post would be nice for times when im catching up on a thread and don't want to emptyquote something that was posted weeks or months ago

on the other hand this topic is an awful bikeshedding honeypot and every goon has their own pet theory about the ~objectively superior~ way to do it so good luck reaching any kind of consensus

Nah, I sometimes skim over long posts and when there is enough empty quotes I go fine I'll read it. Plus it's kind of cool to see a thread shut down by just people empty quoting a burn. But that's just my two cents.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope SA never gets a like system because it's way more validating when someone goes to the effort of putting into words that they enjoyed your post. Like three or four people told me a joke I made on here was good the other day and I rode that high for awhile.

On the flipside, I also think it's better for people to have to put into words why they don't like a post. Instant, generic negative feedback isn't good for criticism or discussion.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
So has anyone heard any details on what happened with that bunch of idiots from the LP forum who got banned for, well, being idiots? I'd heard they decided to start their own forums with a ridiculous list of rules but can't be bothered to go digging through the tweets about it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Don't like posts anonymously pussies

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Segmentation Fox posted:

So has anyone heard any details on what happened with that bunch of idiots from the LP forum who got banned for, well, being idiots? I'd heard they decided to start their own forums with a ridiculous list of rules but can't be bothered to go digging through the tweets about it.

It's here. I haven't really given it more than a cursory look though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

fool_of_sound posted:

It's here. I haven't really given it more than a cursory look though.

looks lovely todd

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Segmentation Fox posted:

They self banned.
It was a manufactured outrage.

They got on lowtax's case for that stream he had with his kid making fun of schmorky, which was his kids idea, and told him he was exploiting his kids, was a bad parent, "deserved" schmorky and then were surprised when he banned they're accounts.
Then some others banned themselves when lowtax said he didn't know trannie was a slur and tried to apologize
Voidburger wad one of the ringleaders there and later told everyone on twitter that something awful was rounding up the poc's of the forum and forcing them to post in a forum named NEGROTOWN and some others banned themselves over it.

I'm kind of mad because I thought some of these people were okay and more self aware than this.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bud K ninja sword posted:

looks lovely todd

It's a pretty ugly design imo, and as far as I can tell basically all the LPs on it are also on SA anyway so????

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Also they don't need the forums because nowadays you don't edit an lp or care about what's in it, like if you're making something interesting or fun to watch, you just stream for 12 hours while people will watch you do anything throw money at you and then you upload it on YouTube.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LP's used to be cool back when they were about the games and not the LP'er. I miss when they were basically crummy MST3k's for Final Fantasy games.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Solice Kirsk posted:

LP's used to be cool back when they were about the games and not the LP'er. I miss when they were basically crummy MST3k's for Final Fantasy games.

:same:

Thats why i stuck to the screenshot ones moreso than the video ones.

necroid
May 14, 2009

the LP subforum has been poo poo for ages, I used to check it regularly for stuff to keep in background while studying/working but over the years it's become a wasteland of lovely jrpgs and crap LPers

now I just stay subscribed to the youtube channels of the few old LPers who aren't crazy freaks or creepy spergs

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Bud K ninja sword posted:

:same:

Thats why i stuck to the screenshot ones moreso than the video ones.

Right this, like there's a really good FF8 SSLP going on now, and the FF7 one was great too

but yeah self obsessed / "internet celebrity" LPers are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Goons made a wiki about Doobie's Dog House.

People gave the guy that made it a ton of poo poo, but as someone who absolutely relished watching that bumbling hayseed blow a twenty-point lead by repeatedly scoring on his own goal, I'm glad it exists.