Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I've no problem with closed primaries, but in the year of our Lord 2017 where I can make a voter registration change online you can make the cutoff period to change your party be something reasonable like 2 to 4 weeks before the primary date if it's closed.

yea I'm fine with closed primaries, but they really have to come with better registration systems and no stupid deadlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

surprise surprise hillary clinton loves drones

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

jon tester is an arsonist

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I've no problem with closed primaries, but in the year of our Lord 2017 where I can make a voter registration change online you can make the cutoff period to change your party be something reasonable like 2 to 4 weeks before the primary date if it's closed.

Look at this counter revolutionary garbage. Closed primaries disenfranchise voters. You mention online voter registration as some sort of great thing when voter registration was full of problems this previous election and was used to disenfranchise voters. Voter cutoff? What is this bullshit. To the guillotines.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Primaries should be open and a week long.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ace of Baes posted:

Primaries should be open and a week long.

month long

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

That would probably be really expensive so it doesn't seem likely, but it would be cool if the primaries were all at the same time and a month long.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
If it was a reality the Dems would also end up gotving and registering a poo poo of people throughout the primary leading up to voting starting a few months before the GE.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concerned Citizen posted:

superdelegates are undemocratic, but caucuses are still pretty bad. they're an enormous voter suppression machine. for example, nebraska's binding democratic caucus had 33k voters. the meaningless non-binding primary in may had over 80,000 voters. that's a hell of a lot more suppression than even voter id.

superdelegates aren't even necessarily undemocratic; at least with respect to those who are superdelegates by dint of being elected officials, it's people who at least at some point themselves won a party primary.

e: I mean part of the problem with Democrats is that they're not really a party; the only meaningful membership is as a member of a party committee, ordinary voters don't have any function whatsoever as members, but whatever.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
perpetual primary

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
you get to vote for your desired presidential nominee immediately after the inauguration of a new president

and you also can't change the vote once it's cast

i'm all in for buttgeig

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

logikv9 posted:

i'm all in for buttgeig

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
plug it in for the buttigieg

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
vote buttgieg to make america whole again

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

HorseRenoir posted:

vote buttgieg to make america hole again

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Error 404 posted:

Trump/Clinton are symptoms
Capitalism is the disease
Revolution is the cure

Guillotine 2020

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mcgovern was far worse

:lol:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so when do the pics of trump and obama hanging out and being best friends come out? also looking forward to the clintons making up with trump

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

do you really think otherwise? he was never even close to competitive with nixon, even remotely. which was by design, since nixon ratfucked his opponents.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Condiv posted:

also looking forward to the clintons making up with trump

lol if you think that hasn't already happened

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
I'm sure the undemocratic safeguard against a fascist demagouge is totally worth keeping around.

Don't know how the Dems can be against it, they earned their position, and you need some kind of stopgap for bad outcomes.

Lord knows it Cannot Fail™

All hail the Electoral Colleg... oh :smith:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

do you really think otherwise? he was never even close to competitive with nixon, even remotely. which was by design, since nixon ratfucked his opponents.

yes. mcgovern was stabbed in the back by his own party, had a funding disadvantage, and was up against an incumbent that was abusing his office to ratfuck his opponent

hillary had the full support of the dem party, a massive funding advantage, and her opponent was reviled and treated as a joke by almost all media.

mcgovern's loss is understandable and even forgiveable. on the other hand, hillary's will probably be used as an example of "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" for generations to come. so yes she was far worse

Condiv has issued a correction as of 11:10 on Feb 6, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

lol if you think that hasn't already happened

well i meant more on camera. i know hillary is probably thrilled that her good friend donald trump is in office, but where are the pics of hillary happily hugging herr trump?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqZBY1Mk9XM

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

yes. mcgovern was stabbed in the back by his own party, had a funding disadvantage, and was up against an incumbent that was abusing his office to ratfuck his opponent

hillary had the full support of the dem party, a massive funding advantage, and her opponent was reviled and treated as a joke by almost all media.

mcgovern's loss is understandable and even forgiveable. on the other hand, hillary's will probably be used as an example of "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" for generations to come. so yes she was far worse

mcgovern was definitely stabbed in the back, but this isn't some event that just happened, like it's a natural disaster and mcgovern was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. it happened because of he was so completely ineffectual and he was up against one of the most canny political minds in american history. like hillary, he was the wrong candidate for the wrong time. also like her, his messaging was utterly ineffectual and focused on nixon's corruption and the vietnam war, both of which went over like a lead balloon with the electorate. unlike hillary, he was unable to keep his allies from defecting to his opponent, he was unable to fundraise, he couldn't even pick a vice president without loving it up. there was literally no part of his campaign that you could point to and say "well, at least they did that right."

hillary might have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, but mcgovern was a universe away from victory. he couldn't even keep labor from defecting to nixon. he literally did worse than barry goldwater.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcgovern was definitely stabbed in the back, but this isn't some event that just happened, like it's a natural disaster and mcgovern was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. it happened because of he was so completely ineffectual and he was up against one of the most canny political minds in american history. like hillary, he was the wrong candidate for the wrong time. also like her, his messaging was utterly ineffectual and focused on nixon's corruption and the vietnam war, both of which went over like a lead balloon with the electorate. unlike hillary, he was unable to keep his allies from defecting to his opponent, he was unable to fundraise, he couldn't even pick a vice president without loving it up. there was literally no part of his campaign that you could point to and say "well, at least they did that right."

hillary might have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, but mcgovern was a universe away from victory. he couldn't even keep labor from defecting to nixon. he literally did worse than barry goldwater.

again, not really hard to imagine mcgovern losing considering the dem establishment absolutely refused to support him and some major dems even started endorsing nixon. it is completely unsurprising his campaign did poorly after that

meanwhile, hillary had everything going exactly right for her and she still did not pull out a win she absolutely needed and was able to make. she didn't bother to try and that makes her worse than mcgovern

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
my post-war dem presidential candidate rankings, from worst to best (in terms of campaign quality):

1. mcgovern
2. stevenson
3. hillary clinton/dukakis (tied)
4. mondale
5. kerry
6. humphrey/gore (tied)
7. carter
8. jfk
9. lbj (who deserves to be worse on this list due to his re-elect, but nonetheless was far better than most other dem candidates)
10. bill clinton
11. obama

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

again, not really hard to imagine mcgovern losing considering the dem establishment absolutely refused to support him and some major dems even started endorsing nixon. it is completely unsurprising his campaign did poorly after that

meanwhile, hillary had everything going exactly right for her and she still did not pull out a win she absolutely needed and was able to make. she didn't bother to try and that makes her worse than mcgovern

i mean, yes major dems and labor endorsed nixon, but like i said before you're making it sound like this was a natural disaster that mcgovern played no part in. major dems & labor abandoned mcgovern precisely because he was such a terrible and unpopular candidate. i mean, nixon was a divisive president entering 1972 and there is no reason why any democrat shouldn't have been able to make at least KIND of a race of it. mcgovern was positioned with anti-war activists at the exact time when that was the last thing the american public wanted - after all, you had the campus riots, you had the weather underground blowing up, you had drug culture blooming. it took no effort for nixon to tar him as the candidate of amnesty, abortion, and acid. it made his candidacy a total non-starter, which is why he deserves the label of worst democratic nominee.

hillary, as you mentioned, managed to bottle an election where she had all the advantages. mcgovern was such a bad candidate that he was never in a position to have any sort of advantage, at anything. he can be forgiven for losing to richard nixon, but losing by 23 points is pretty bad.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 12:32 on Feb 6, 2017

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It’s cool and all that people defend primaries that in no way reflect the results of an actual electoral map on election day.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i mean, yes major dems and labor endorsed mcgovern, but like i said before you're making it sound like this was a natural disaster that mcgovern played no part in. major dems & labor abandoned mcgovern precisely because he was such a terrible and unpopular candidate. i mean, nixon was a divisive president entering 1972 and there is no reason why any democrat shouldn't have been able to make at least KIND of a race of it.

hillary, as you mentioned, managed to bottle an election where she had all the advantages. mcgovern was such a bad candidate that he was never in a position to have any sort of advantage, at anything. he can be forgiven for losing to richard nixon, but losing by 23 points is pretty bad.

no, they ditched him because he won in a way he wasn't supposed to, and over a candidate the establishment favored. the dem establishment then decided that they'd rather lose than win with mcgovern and a good number started calling for nixon.

quote:

Many traditional Democratic groups such as organized labor and big-city political machines had small representation at the convention. Their supporters challenged the seating of relative political novices, but for the most part were turned back by the supporters of McGovern, who during the presidential primaries had amassed the most delegates to the convention by using a grassroots campaign that was powered by opposition to the Vietnam War. Many traditional Democratic leaders and politicians felt that McGovern's delegate count did not reflect the wishes of most Democratic voters. Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter helped to spearhead a "Stop McGovern" campaign, while at the same time trying to become McGovern's candidate for vice president. The stop-McGovern forces tried unsuccessfully to alter the delegate composition of the California delegation.

Condiv has issued a correction as of 12:51 on Feb 6, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

no, they ditched him because he won in a way he wasn't supposed to, and over a candidate the establishment favored. the dem establishment then decided that they'd rather lose than win with mcgovern and a good number started calling for nixon.

well first, mcgovern wasn't really anti-establishment, at least not until his falling out with most of the party. he endorsed humphrey in 1968 and was put in charge of re-writing the primary rules. it was only after this that he earned the ire of his colleagues. regardless - the first rule of politicianing is "don't make everyone hate you." the fact that much of the rest of the party loving hated him is not exactly a point in his favor in terms of competence of candidacy. he deliberately antagonized the rest of the party. and anyway, the fact that he was perceived as aligned with unpopular groups like sds made it spectacularly easy to abandon him. had he been even a remotely competitive candidate in a fall election, he wouldn't have seen mass defections.

the best thing you can say about mcgovern is that he was right, which doesn't count for much.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 13:18 on Feb 6, 2017

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Democrats aim to make Steve Bannon a scarier Karl Rove

Republican operatives say that branding Steve Bannon as a racist mastermind of White House decisions may fire up liberals in the short term. | Getty

Democrats spent years turning George W. Bush strategist Karl Rove into a boogeyman whose mere mention sent liberals' blood boiling. Now, members of Congress are doing the same to top Trump hand Steve Bannon — but in much darker terms.

Increasingly, Democratic lawmakers are labeling the former Breitbart chief a "white supremacist" who has no business at the highest echelons of American power.

Story Continued Below

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) used the term Thursday, and several Democratic members quickly grabbed the baton. It's a sharp escalation in rhetoric that coincides with Bannon's outsize influence in the early days of the Trump White House. And those same members are casting Bannon as a shadow president.

"It is bad enough that the president has put someone who is a pure partisan who’s clearly the puppeteer here, and the president is the marionette," said Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, former chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee.

Drew Hammill, a Pelosi spokesman, described Bannon's influence as "Karl Rove on steroids.”

Republican operatives say that branding Bannon as a racist mastermind of White House decisions may fire up liberals in the short term. But it's both incorrect and certain to backfire with the voters Democrats need to bring back into their fold, they add.

"My guess is, the more the Democrats and news media go after Steve Bannon, the more powerful he becomes within the administration, and the more endearing he becomes to Donald Trump," said John Brabender, a Pennsylvnaia-based GOP strategist.

"It is further alienating conservative and blue-collar Democrats who are thrilled with everything Trump is doing right now," he continued. "I do not believe there is any buyer remorse among Trump voters, and when you look at the battleground states for 2018, that works to President Trump’s advantage."

White House officials did not respond to requests for comment. Press secretary Sean Spicer has previously defended Bannon's role, citing his experience as a naval officer. "He's got a tremendous understanding of the world and the geopolitical landscape that we have now," he said at a Jan. 29 press briefing.

Bannon himself has long denied he's a racist.

Ugh how the gently caress could these democratic leaders be so bad at speaking the truth

Ban on is not like Karl rove at all. It's almost like they're incapable of creating new ideas and instead just recycle all their old trash. Get rid of them. It's the only way we'll win.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Ugh how the gently caress could these democratic leaders be so bad at speaking the truth

Ban on is not like Karl rove at all. It's almost like they're incapable of creating new ideas and instead just recycle all their old trash. Get rid of them. It's the only way we'll win.

uh it gave us this

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/828575949268606977?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

seems to be a spectacularly successful at trolling

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/828574430800539648

Lol he even deploys the fishmechesque "sorry,"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lady Gaga had a pretty good halftime show, but she still probably should have called Trump a fascist pissbaby while she had the chance.

This administration is going to be unavoidably awful for huge (nonwhite) swaths of the country, so the other parts should be denied normality as well. No, you can't watch the Super Bowl in peace because you voted in a reality TV host. Here's a Hollywood liberal to ruin your good time x 4 years.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i had forgotten how good lady gaga is

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i was imagining like, 100s of drones dropping streams of golden glitter on lada 'maga' or something maybe a symbolic burning of a red hat

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Jazerus posted:

maybe not trump himself, i'll give you that, but you can't convince me that a dangerous candidate literally can't win a democratic primary. any party can be taken over if there aren't safeguards.

bernie doesn't come close to the threshold where they risk civil unrest and basically throw the election dude, that's a paranoid fantasy. a superdelegate revolt is a tool that can only be used when losing in the general by a lot is better than running the winner of the primaries, especially because the superdelegates are actually individuals who would each weigh the decision and you need more of them in proportion to the winner's margin of victory among the regular delegates."
The DNC used the superdelegates against Bernie the entire primary to suppress his turnout.

Jazerus posted:

democracy is not the highest possible good. it's a very fair method of decision making and should be the norm in almost all political situations but if neoliberal hitler runs there should be a way to disavow him as a party.

find me a better safeguard and i'll endorse eliminating superdelegates wholeheartedly. in the mean time you can't just run on faith that the dems are the good people party who obviously can only select virtuous candidates.

i'm guessing you folks are the ones wringing your hands about punching nazis too

You are just pathetic, honestly. Democracy is loving dangerous dude get over it and stop being a pussy. I don't want a bunch of neolib freaks looking over my shoulder to make sure my vote is safe enough for them.

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
She's very talented and had enough sense not to do any of her lovely new country songs.

• Locked thread