Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just managed to get 5 star Lucinda and Robin in the same set and I think I am all set now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Roland Jones posted:

Well I saved up for another five pull, thanks to the event, and...

https://twitter.com/RolandKJones/status/828505500702568448

Wow. I just, I'm not sure what to make of this. It's so good and so useless (to me) at the same time.

Thankfully my team's doing alright anyway, but man. Up to thirteen red and fourteen white characters out of thirty-four total, and none of the good new things surpass what I already have (except Jakob I guess; I didn't have any good thieves). I just want a decent blue or green character who isn't an immovable object like Effie.

Why do you keep buying grey and reds then?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

What is the actual game like at the center of this? The battle system, or whatever, that is the core mechanic if you ignore the collect-em part? Is it strong, with fairly complex decisions to make? I'm always looking for new games, but don't want to put time in if it's fairly mindless.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Funso Banjo posted:

What is the actual game like at the center of this? The battle system, or whatever, that is the core mechanic if you ignore the collect-em part? Is it strong, with fairly complex decisions to make? I'm always looking for new games, but don't want to put time in if it's fairly mindless.

It's not mindless, it's Fire Emblem lite.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

It's pretty good, surprisingly.

The maps are small, but there's a lot of interaction between the skills and the emphasis on the weapon triangle lets you overcome tougher odds with good planning, or gently caress yourself over with what should have been a sure win.

The AI is dumb, though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sassassin posted:

Why do you keep buying grey and reds then?

Something about not getting maximum orb value bothers me. Also I've heard stories of people just not getting the orbs they need when trying that and repeatedly abandoning draws, so.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New map under "Special" maps for the entire month, one fairly standard map, with 3 orb rewards from normal and hard. not sure if there's a lunatic mode for it or not, but it was v easy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly, the tiny number of units and total lack of randomness make me find the strategy in this game kind of more compelling than the actual Fire Emblem games. Less so when the level differences are too large, but it feels more like a puzzle.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Clarste posted:

Honestly, the tiny number of units and total lack of randomness make me find the strategy in this game kind of more compelling than the actual Fire Emblem games. Less so when the level differences are too large, but it feels more like a puzzle.

While I largely agree with this, the fact that you can't place your units before the battle starts really puts a damper on things. There are maps where I would go "this would have gone much better if the red unit started over there" .

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

^^^ Like this one? :v:

Presented as: Fire Emblem Heroes, sometimes you really suck. (What the hell is up with Mr. Blue Mage's attack here jeez.)

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 6, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

(What the hell is up with Mr. Blue Mage's attack here jeez.)

Attack factors in weapon Mt, and it looks like he's got a special one.

Majinfefnir13
Oct 11, 2009

I finally decided to toss $25 after 2 really crap 5 unit pulls, got a Lyn for my efforts I guess. So far she not bad, got some decent defenses but got kinda low HP. Also kinda regret on getting astra due to it being a 5 count skill. I'll probably focus on getting defiant atk and spur speed maxed out before trying to get galeforce.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I really hate this game's PVP. Last match of my win streak was ruined when the easiest match for me pit me against a guy with a team full of 5* units. Thanks game, thanks a lot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I really hate this game's PVP. Last match of my win streak was ruined when the easiest match for me pit me against a guy with a team full of 5* units. Thanks game, thanks a lot.

Welcome to f2p games on phones

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Andrast posted:

Welcome to f2p games on phones

It's not usually so bad because win streaks aren't so important in most of them. But god drat, the second you lose you just lose all those loving points.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's fire emblem chess. I like that sometimes you have to let someone die to win.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I still haven't gotten a 5-star yet. :(

Castle is fully upgraded though, and I got both Corrins (4 stars though)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I figure I have maybe one more 20-pull left to squeeze out of the story. Then it's just waiting for story updates while slowly gathering from daily log-ins.

If it's really two chapters per story update, that's another 30 orbs from there (10 stages per difficulty, Normal/Hard/Lunatic).

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

sassassin posted:

It's not mindless, it's Fire Emblem lite.

To expand on this, lack of formation setup kinda sucks, but I noticed that to make up for the smaller area size, units have support-esque effects that you need to change your formation to rely on more. A lot of what you do is going to be relatively mindless (like leveling up your troops), but trying to clear level-appropriate story maps can be pretty demanding of your fielding and support usage decisions. And of course the gacha can really simplify or enhance this aspect too.

There is some strategizing to be done, I think. There's just also a lot more grinding.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I feel like the sole reason everyone wants Camila is because where are all the 5-star green units

help i have two 5-star red units and two 5-star grey units

Also, so far this game's really liberal with its F2P currency? At least compared to Puzzle and Dragons. The event dungeons today give 6 orbs, two orbs for release, a guaranteed login bonus orb, and 20 orbs for 5 units is really good in comparison. Plus the game's been out for like two days.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 6, 2017

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Just managed to get 5 star Lucinda and Robin in the same set and I think I am all set now.

I just spent my first 12€ on this game, got 5 star Takumi and Cordelia in the summon. I don't think I need to spend any more money on this game. :v:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So wait, do you only get the medals in arena if you win 7 in a row because I've been stuck at 1393 for forever.

Edit: Also literally every arena team I fight has a 5 star Takumi in it. I don't have any Takumi at all. Should I be pulling for that because it seems like that's THE unit to have.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 6, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ComposerGuy posted:

So wait, do you only get the medals in arena if you win 7 in a row because I've been stuck at 1393 for forever.

The game doesn't make this clear, but it only keeps track of your highest score. You aren't grinding points, you're trying to get the most points possible before you either lose or get 7 wins. If you got 1500 points in 5 wins it would update, but not if you got 1200 points in 7 wins.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Clarste posted:

The game doesn't make this clear, but it only keeps track of your highest score. You aren't grinding points, you're trying to get the most points possible before you either lose or get 7 wins.

Holt poo poo, that's terrible.

Ok then, 20,000 feathers is out of reach in any kind of realistic timeframe then. I'll stop grinding it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Clarste posted:

The game doesn't make this clear, but it only keeps track of your highest score. You aren't grinding points, you're trying to get the most points possible before you either lose or get 7 wins. If you got 1500 points in 5 wins it would update, but not if you got 1200 points in 7 wins.

Any idea on what's up with the defense feature? Not getting anything on there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Any idea on what's up with the defense feature? Not getting anything on there.

People get matched up against your team and sometimes lose. You get points for that. I don't know the details. Personally I got 2 defenses almost immediately and then none since then. I think you'd need to have a very particular kind of team for people to lose to you though. And I'm still not sure how it determines which of your teams to use.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Finally got my second gacha pull (yes, I know I'm slow, shut up):

Still no healer, but that Abel tears poo poo up! Also that's my second Niles, albeit with more starts than the last one so I replaced the one I was using.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Clarste posted:

People get matched up against your team and sometimes lose. You get points for that. I don't know the details. Personally I got 2 defenses almost immediately and then none since then. I think you'd need to have a very particular kind of team for people to lose to you though. And I'm still not sure how it determines which of your teams to use.

It says right in the info blurb if you tap the question mark. Your first team is the one that's used for defense.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Beekeeping and You posted:

Also, so far this game's really liberal with its F2P currency? At least compared to Puzzle and Dragons. The event dungeons today give 6 orbs, two orbs for release, a guaranteed login bonus orb, and 20 orbs for 5 units is really good in comparison. Plus the game's been out for like two days.
That's just standard gacha game procedure. Shower you with currency early on in order to go "Wow! How generous!", then trickle down the speed and release people's favorite characters when they have the least amount of currency to guarantee purchases.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I have a 4* Nowi and I know shes supposed to be really good but I hate using her because she literally a 95% naked child.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

HGH posted:

That's just standard gacha game procedure. Shower you with currency early on in order to go "Wow! How generous!", then trickle down the speed and release people's favorite characters when they have the least amount of currency to guarantee purchases.

I mean I feel like they have half that formula, but honestly they've released all the major popular characters from Awakening and Fates. They only things they're missing are a few Awakening children and like the two kids from Fates who aren't massive failures. (Soleil and Ophelia)

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

They're missing the best FE:A character, Brady

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ComposerGuy posted:

Holt poo poo, that's terrible.

Ok then, 20,000 feathers is out of reach in any kind of realistic timeframe then. I'll stop grinding it.

I think the feather grinding is going to be a truly gigantic problem, but I also think it's probably something they will fix by the end of march

2000 feathers a week, (~3500 if you max your friends list) oh boy, only 10 weeks to raise the potential on each four star character I have :suicide:

Florina is a really good character and if you have her you should level her up. Having somebody with a heavy spear who can fly makes it a lot easier to deal with armored knights

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 6, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mirthless posted:

I think the feather grinding is going to be a truly gigantic problem, but I also think it's probably something they will fix by the end of march

2000 feathers a week, (~3500 if you max your friends list) oh boy, only 10 weeks to raise the potential on each four star character I have :suicide:

I do think their intention was to make it an incredibly difficult thing to do, though the proper way to do that is to make the currency extremely rare and require less of it, than to need an insane amount of a relatively common currency.

Also right now their economy seems rather lacking. I don't see a real reason to IAP because the returns are so poor.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

Yesh this explains why my score wasn't going up at all. I kept going piecemeal with beginner-levels to get the most out of my 7 wins which probably didn't help. And now I'm not even ranked. That's lovely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I mean I feel like they have half that formula, but honestly they've released all the major popular characters from Awakening and Fates. They only things they're missing are a few Awakening children and like the two kids from Fates who aren't massive failures. (Soleil and Ophelia)
of the top 40 from the popularity poll, they're missing

FE9 Ike
FE10 Ike
Ephraim
FE1 Marth
Joshua
Dorcas
Owain
Eirika
Micaiah
Awakening Anna
Lute
Mia
Nephenee

So there's a solid list of characters they can do special events for. (Please let them do a Dorcas event)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Yorkshire Tea posted:

They've released approx. zero characters from the 3 best games.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

sassassin posted:

They've released approx. zero characters from the 3 best games.

Nobody played Fire Emblem before Awakening.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Paul Zuvella posted:

I do think their intention was to make it an incredibly difficult thing to do, though the proper way to do that is to make the currency extremely rare and require less of it, than to need an insane amount of a relatively common currency.

Also right now their economy seems rather lacking. I don't see a real reason to IAP because the returns are so poor.

I get that it's supposed to be difficult, it's just, if you're going to make 35% of all the pulls from the gacha 4* characters you're going to run into the problem where you have dozens of them leveled up but you can only evolve one every ten weeks. They're definitely going to have to do something about this eventually.

I agree wrt: the game economy, honestly a lot of this stuff seems almost incomplete and what a surprise Nintendo rushed another mobile game out the door :rolleyes: I'm happy to get in on the ground floor and I've spent like 15 bucks just to get a nice reserve of starter heroes going but I'm probably not going to spend any more money on this until they add some more depth to the game and start working out currency generation better. As it is right now, the only reason to play once you exhaust the story missions is to grind more levels, you can't grind level up materials and the evo mats you can grind require hero feathers to be useful, and those are gated on a daily/weekly basis. I know it's a different company running this but you think Nintendo would have put their foot down and said "If one of you fuckers take another one of our licenses and make a game everyone gets bored of after a week, we're going to loving kill you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Nobody played Fire Emblem before Awakening.

finn is objectively the 9th most popular fire emblem character in japan (tbf it's a magazine about RPGs in japan with a demo that trends older but still)