Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How often do these dudes actually end up get released? I know there's examples you can't point out and subsequent tragedies but I don't feel like it's very common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henker
May 5, 2009

So apparently there's a (very rare) disease called fatal insomnia that causes you to stop sleeping. That must be absolutely torturous to go through.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Henker posted:

So apparently there's a (very rare) disease called fatal insomnia that causes you to stop sleeping. That must be absolutely torturous to go through.

The Family That Couldn’t Sleep is a good read.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Pinball Wizard posted:

After a series of trials, Thomas Kokoraleis was convicted of murder but only sentenced to life imprisonment as his reward for his initial confession. Since then his life sentence has been commuted and he is now scheduled to be released on September 30, 2017.

And if you want a real :stonk: moment, Kokoraleis's kid brother was executed on the back of his testimony - the only one of the four to receive the death penalty and the last person executed in the state. (Edward Spreitzer was also sentenced to death, but all death sentences in the state were commuted before it was carried out.)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Did they find out who all the breasts belonged to?

There was a previous unnerving article about people finding severed limbs in a river/lake but no one reported anything missing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

Did they find out who all the breasts belonged to?

There was a previous unnerving article about people finding severed limbs in a river/lake but no one reported anything missing

Well, I'm sure the serial killer that lost their body part collection wouldn't be too keen on phoning the police to see if anyone turned them in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I was watching American Greed, and this piece of poo poo was profiled.

Robert Courtney
http://www.kansascity.com/news/special-reports/kc-true-crime/article705846.html

quote:

He owned millions of dollars in stock and almost a million dollars in property, plus the pharmacies. He gave his church hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Then his success came crashing down.

Many of his prescriptions, it turned out, gave too little help or none at all to unsuspecting, seriously ill patients. People with lung cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer and scores of other grievous and life-threatening ailments got only a fraction of the doses their doctors prescribed.

One sample of a chemotherapy drug showed it contained only 24 percent of the prescribed amount. Courtney charged $1,021 but delivered only $242 worth of the drug. The roughly $780 difference, repeated over and over, helped make him rich.

He began diluting drugs in 1992. As many as 4,200 patients might have been affected.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

flosofl posted:

I was watching American Greed, and this piece of poo poo was profiled.

Robert Courtney
http://www.kansascity.com/news/special-reports/kc-true-crime/article705846.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cR-WiGKZtg

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Exactly. I had Terms of Enrampagement in mind as I was watching.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

flosofl posted:

Exactly. I had Terms of Enrampagement in mind as I was watching.

poo poo, that was a great episode. I really loved the game show part.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/01/29/bucks-county-authorities-make-arrest-in-fetish-themed-child-predator-sex-ring/

As if being repeatedly raped wasn't scarring enough :(

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Here's a good longform sympathetic look at the "gently caress that gator" guy who was killed by an alligator in East Texas in 2015: https://www.buzzfeed.com/golianopoulos/gently caress-that-gator?utm_term=.sde3LKYgj#.cbn1XnpDa

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Here's a good longform sympathetic look at the "gently caress that gator" guy who was killed by an alligator in East Texas in 2015: https://www.buzzfeed.com/golianopoulos/gently caress-that-gator?utm_term=.sde3LKYgj#.cbn1XnpDa

quote:

But no one was affected like Brian was.

Within minutes of meeting last December in Beaumont, Brian Woodward ditches me inside a popular seafood restaurant and retreats to the parking lot. Moments later I find him standing beside his 1999 Dodge Ram 1500. “Come on,” he says, climbing into the driver’s seat. He blows into a Breathalyzer to start the car. “I don’t like people,” he tells me. “I walk in somewhere packed with people I don’t know, gently caress you, I’m gone.” We drive to a Chili’s in Orange, the easternmost city in the state, where he now lives.

Sympathy is building already.

quote:

We talk while he drives. “I can go to that shipyard now, ask for a job, and have it. You can’t find too many people that can outwork me. Pound for pound, you can’t beat my little rear end. Tommie was the same way. He worked real hard. Most people nowadays, they’re not — they just don’t. Tommie lived with me and worked with me at the shipyards. Then I had to get out. I wasn’t making enough money.” Brian worked on tugboats offshore for a while but didn’t like being away from home. “I do AC work now. I install air conditioners in people’s homes — million-dollar homes, piece-of-poo poo homes.”

Can you really play the “people nowadays” card when you are thirty years old?

quote:

Robnett was stunned. Having grown up on the swamp, he deemed himself an alligator expert of sorts. He knew that big gators didn’t get that big by being stupid. He also knew that swimming down a populated bayou in the late-afternoon sun were the actions of a stupid gator; gators that size hug the banks, avoiding the main cuts, avoiding humans. From his kitchen, Robnett could see that the gator’s face was littered with scars. Something, he thought, wasn’t right with that animal. As he watched the gator heading south, he thought of his children — a 14-year-old girl, 3-year-old girl, and 1-year-old boy — all of whom frolicked in Adams Bayou. Tommie Woodward died in those waters a few weeks later.

They are literally defaming this alligator. It’s not the stupid one here.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

DocBubonic posted:

I don't think anyone has brought up Public Service Announcements yet.

I’m not sure how effective these PSAs are, but I’m sure they had quite effect on the people who watched them.

As a kid I remember seeing the movie Moving Violations and it made fun of those car accident films in an over-the-top way with blood covering the windshield. I thought it was real, though, and my mother said she had to watch those so I was super scared for drivers ed when I got older. My drivers ed class didn't have any films like that, but did have a train safety presentation. The guy giving it showed a CCTV clip of a woman being hit by a train as she ran through a crossing. I'd never seen a person die before and I was disturbed for a long time. So, I couldn't imagine seeing those PSA ones when if I was that age in that era. I hated trains, anyways, after some scary encounters as a kid with them but mostly due to seeing the move The Dollmaker as a young kid.

In my early 20s, though, while in training for a new job one of the guys there had been a fireman. He'd give presentations with MADD and had slides of gory accidents from drunk drivers that he showed our group during a break. Guess that made up for what I missed in drivers ed! It's crazy how well I still recall the details of them, too, so that stuff really imprints a memory.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Is this the guy who tied up the gator and hosed it for a while?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Field Mousepad posted:

No.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Field Mousepad posted:

"Shake the gator!"

No seriously, what?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Some guy from I believe Florida got attacked by a gator and lived so he tied it up and railed it for a while for revenge purposes.

Ahh I didn't see the killed by gator part in the headline I quoted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Field Mousepad posted:

Some guy from I believe Florida got attacked by a gator and lived so he tied it up and railed it for a while for revenge purposes.

But was it a male or a female alligator?

I need to calibrate my level of disgust.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:yikes:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Field Mousepad posted:

its the guy who yelled "gently caress that gator" about a gator, then jumped in the water to fight it and died an incredibly avoidable death by gator

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Platystemon posted:

But was it a male or a female alligator?

I need to calibrate my level of disgust.

Is gay alligator rape really that much different to hetero alligator rape?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MonoAus posted:

Is gay alligator rape really that much different to hetero alligator rape?

Move one letter in your username and you’re “MooAnus”.

Coincidence? 🤔

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
No coincidence at all!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandosentinel.com/features/gone-viral/os-florida-man-sex-gator-20150716-post,amp.html

Ah drat it was bullshit. Fuckin fake news!

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Found the unnerving part of that article:

quote:

The story almost sounds like the kind of thing that would happen in Florida where bestiality arrests unfortunately aren't that uncommon.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The Florida part is what stuck with me. I was like "oh yeah that is definitely a possibility there".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, if you have a fake news article and it's set in Florida, I think you're just not playing fair at that point.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Yeah, if you have a fake news article and it's set in Florida, I think you're just not playing fair at that point.

It's like the parody Trump twitter accounts that can't possibly match the actual one in insanity

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
FLORIDA MAN

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Florida Man hates Person Man
They have a fight, Florida wins
Florida Man

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

Florida Man hates Person Man
They have a fight, Florida wins
Florida Man

Wow, the lyrics fit well for Florida Man

Florida Man,Florida Man
Hit on the head with a frying pan
Lives his life in a garbage can
Florida Man

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
good song and he'd fit right in with that crew

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I'm an editor for a few AP publications and i can assure you that we all loving love florida man

He brings us joy every day

usually via some combination of meth and swords (???? so many swords), although my fav is the time he stole sea turtle eggs while the turtle was laying them

they were retrieved safely by authorities

A Spider Covets has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Feb 9, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

verbal enema posted:

good song and he'd fit right in with that crew

poo poo and stupid song. Still fits Florida though.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Jedit posted:

poo poo and stupid song. Still fits Florida though.

With They Might Be Giants, isn't being stupid the point?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I saw TMBG live a few years ago. It was not the best concert. :sigh:

I have a write-up on the sad and bloody history of nutmeg on another PC, but in lieu of actually booting that thing up and finding the draft, please accept this harrowing tale of truck stop serial killers.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I saw TMBG live a few years ago. It was not the best concert. :sigh:

I have a write-up on the sad and bloody history of nutmeg on another PC, but in lieu of actually booting that thing up and finding the draft, please accept this harrowing tale of truck stop serial killers.

They play so much, the quality when live various tremendously based on how they're feeling. I've been to both good and mediocre shows of theirs.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

duz posted:

They play so much, the quality when live various tremendously based on how they're feeling. I've been to both good and mediocre shows of theirs.

I think they felt like jamming. I'm not a jam session kinda person! The opening act was good, though. I think it was Jonathan Coulton, but it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well Snowtown was a good film. For anyone who's seen it and read the accompanying books how accurate was the portrayal of jamie's involvement/the community that john controls around him?