Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Jester: Anything that a person off the street could say is definitely a gun just by looking at it cannot be used on enemies. Anything else is fair game (even bows, but the sillier, the better). Lots more options here for boss killing so it shouldn't need any caveats.

Think you'd need a second opinion for the sake for fairness on that run. Just someone to to go yea or nay on whether it's ungunny enough to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Think you'd need a second opinion for the sake for fairness on that run. Just someone to to go yea or nay on whether it's ungunny enough to use.

Oh sure. I feel like an older parent would be ideal but whoever works.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
As far as 'Jester' is concerned it could be as simple as compiling a list of what is allowed.

A possible challenge I think could be fun is to start with the Convict or the Hunter and change guns every time you clear a room, until you clear the next room. So, you can't use the same gun two rooms in a row(Unless you're out of ammo for everything but your sidearm) and you can't change guns in the middle of a room(unless you run out of ammo). You could even take it a step further and say that at the end of every room, or every time a gun runs dry, you move to the next gun in sequence and have to use that gun until the next change. This ensures poor Scruffy has to use every gun in his arsenal, even the less than optimal ones.

EDIT: Another possible idea is that Scruffy has to change guns every time the magazine runs dry, using the same rules as before.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Tendronai posted:

Chalk me up as another player who started playing this again thanks to this LP, went from never having cleared the third chamber to finally killing the High Dragun.

Killed all the pasts now :c00lbutt:

Only took me 186 deaths, so there's hope for all the other bad players out there.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Lazy Bear posted:

EDIT: Another possible idea is that Scruffy has to change guns every time the magazine runs dry, using the same rules as before.

Literally a possible effect from the challenge run guy (not yet unlocked in the LP). :v:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tendronai posted:

Killed all the pasts now :c00lbutt:

Only took me 186 deaths, so there's hope for all the other bad players out there.

All the pasts, or all the pasts for the starting characters?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

57 deaths, only gotten to floor 3 twice, never gotten a master round. Feels bad.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

57 deaths, only gotten to floor 3 twice, never gotten a master round. Feels bad.

The Glacier is how I got my first master round against the Bullet King. I think I can master Gatling Gull with a pillar if I just focus on taking absolutely no risks and can maybe do him without one if I practice dodging at close range enough with him.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

senrath posted:

All the pasts, or all the pasts for the starting characters?

Just the starting characters. Haven't unlocked either of the secret characters yet.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I finally managed to beat the Lich, after two very close tries and a total of 87 deaths. Turns out, the answer is a copious application of bees - the Beehive plus Heavy Bullets just tore through his health bars. Never would have gotten this far without scruffy's advice, so thanks for that :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Beat the Dragun for the first time after 60 deaths. Full Metal Jacket (auto-blank when hit) and the Elder Blank are an incredible combo, and let me use the Balloon Gun (great weapon, but if you're hit it pops) for room clearing quite well.

One thing I find satisfying about this game is that there aren't many truly bad weapons or items. Even most of the brown chest stuff has *some* use. A single good gun or good item can hold you pretty well, and if you get ones that synergize (whether hard-coded or just by their nature) it only gets better. For Isaac it always felt like you needed one of the good combos to even bother playing a run.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Managed to get master round on treadnaught on my first go (yay!) - Had Shades' Pistol as a drop, so that was cool

Where does it keep your record of all the times you've died? I didn't see it in the ammonomicon.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Managed to get master round on treadnaught on my first go (yay!) - Had Shades' Pistol as a drop, so that was cool

Where does it keep your record of all the times you've died? I didn't see it in the ammonomicon.

It's in the book that opens after your run ends under the skull heading. I wish there were a more detailed record of what specifically killed you on runs though.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

You'll see your total number of deaths next to the skull under YOU DIED. This is from my most recent run where I forgot to record video for the episode! I don't believe it appears in the Ammonomicon in general, just when you die or beat the game.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I had to remind myself you're playing on a separate save file for the LP, there.

I got a Master Round for the first floor this morning, against the Bullet King. Of course then I died like three rooms into the second floor, and have spent the entire rest of my morning dying in multiple unceremonious ways before I can make any significant progress.

I got the loving Dueling Pistol as a drop from the floor one boss in my last run. I think the game is literally just taunting me at this point.

Edit: I say that, and then I have a run where I find the Red Guon Stone and Sniper Rifle on floor one and use it to trounce the Bullet King, find the Potion of Gun Friendship and the Magic Sweet and Hot Lead and the Blue Guon Stone on floor two, which allows me to clear the entire floor with the Rusty Sidearm and vaporize the Ammoconda with the Sniper Rifle. Then things proceed to get even more insane and I pick up the VertebraeK-47 as a drop from Ammoconda and proceed to decimate the entire third floor, including the Mineflayer.

I'm heading back into the game after a quick break. Buckle up...

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 5, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I decided to try blessed run. The RNG was taunting me the whole game, with the first chest dropping Unity and then getting Blank companion ring from boss, but not a single active use item in shop or from chests :v:

Even so, it went pretty well until Dragun (ok, at one point I got that light square gun against boss, but I got through that), where I got klobbe, squirt gun, klobbe and then a loving alien engine :suicide:

Xarn fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 5, 2017

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Xarn posted:

I decided to try blessed run. The RNG was taunting me the whole game, with the first chest dropping Unity and then getting Blank companion ring from boss, but not a single active use item in shop or from chests :v:

Even so, it went pretty well until Dragun (ok, at one point I got that light square gun against boss, but I got through that), where I got klobbe, squirt gun, klobbe and then a loving alien engine :suicide:

I have sort of noticed this game isn't really as heavy on the emphasis on the Active Use items, which i kind of appreciate. ONe less thing to worry about.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I did it, I loving did it, I killed all the pasts! I took me 130ish deaths but I did it! Now I just need to conquer bullet hell. Joy.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I have sort of noticed this game isn't really as heavy on the emphasis on the Active Use items, which i kind of appreciate. ONe less thing to worry about.

While that is true, it may lead one to forget to use the active items they do get (something Scruffy has noted a few times). Bit of a mixed bag in that respect.

Klaus88 posted:

I did it, I loving did it, I killed all the pasts! I took me 130ish deaths but I did it! Now I just need to conquer bullet hell. Joy.

I'm sitting on 40 deaths and I've only ever made it as far as the Hollow with one character. Sadly, by the time I got to the Kill Pillars (in that aforementioned insanely lucky run), I was completely out of ammo for absolutely every gun I had and down to one heart.

On the plus side, I can actually get to the mines every third run or so now.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Klaus88 posted:

You're making better progress than me then. My most recent game over:

This was following my first time killing the Dragun. On the other hand, it's been so many runs I've unlocked the first two shortcuts and the robot.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I finally managed to finish a run where I went through all the floors. Admittedly I think it only worked out because I found an ace boss killer in the Oubliette, but still.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just unlocked the elevator to floor two, and...it seems like kind of a misstep. I mean, yes, I'm guaranteed to start at floor two with full health and at least one key...But also with no weapon or good item. I guess if I get good at beating the level 2 bosses now with the starting pistol, it won't be so bad.

But it does in a way seem like starting at level two is shooting yourself in the foot, if you'll pardon the pun. It's at least one less weapon chest, one less item chest and one less shop to visit, any one of which could get you something good. Not to mention the idea of possibly getting the master round for an additional heart

On a similar note, what would most people rather do, go straight from floor 1 to 2, or stop in at the oubliette instead for the extra chests and casings? I mean, if I was really good at the level 1 bosses and could guarantee a no hit run, and I had an embarrassing amount of keys, I'd just do both. And I don't think I've seen anything of lower value on oubliette than a green chest yet.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
After 237 deaths I've finally beaten my first past....... One down.... so many left to go.... :negative:

(It was the marine)

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

CzarChasm posted:

Just unlocked the elevator to floor two, and...it seems like kind of a misstep. I mean, yes, I'm guaranteed to start at floor two with full health and at least one key...But also with no weapon or good item. I guess if I get good at beating the level 2 bosses now with the starting pistol, it won't be so bad.

But it does in a way seem like starting at level two is shooting yourself in the foot, if you'll pardon the pun. It's at least one less weapon chest, one less item chest and one less shop to visit, any one of which could get you something good. Not to mention the idea of possibly getting the master round for an additional heart

On a similar note, what would most people rather do, go straight from floor 1 to 2, or stop in at the oubliette instead for the extra chests and casings? I mean, if I was really good at the level 1 bosses and could guarantee a no hit run, and I had an embarrassing amount of keys, I'd just do both. And I don't think I've seen anything of lower value on oubliette than a green chest yet.

Yeah I never take shortcuts for that very reason. And I only go to The Oubliette if floor 1 gives me 2 brown chests.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
One reason for elevator usage is that some of the bounty hunts you get are for enemies that only appear on certain floors, like Lead Maidens or Shelletons. Also on floors below two, you get a pick of a few weapons at the start.

Even if I am only starting with the pistol, killing Lead Maidens immediately instead of spending 10 minutes going through the first floor is pretty much the way to go.

Apoligies for no video yet, my last attempt crashed because I was drunk and forgot to record video, and I've been in sort of a depression spiral since then which I am currently coming out of. I'll get another one...eventually!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Starting at the second floor does kinda suck for anything other than practicing the enemies there, yeah. You still have to set it up if for no other reason than unlocking the Robot, though also you can't unlock later floor shortcuts without it and those do start giving you extra freebies. As for straight from 1 to 2 vs. Oubliette, definitely go to the Oubliette if you can beat it; it's the only way to get to the Abbey and choosing more stuff over less is never wrong if you have the time, patience, and skill for it.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I finally finished unlocking the last shortcut last night.

Boss Rush is Cool And Good and the lack of a DPS cap is simultaneously hilarious, cathartic, and depressing. A single moderate-to-good weapon early makes a much bigger difference, and seeing boss kill times cut down from ~30 seconds to around 10 or 12 just highlights how severely the DPS cap cuts the damage on "good" weapons in normal runs. I got all five master rounds on my first boss rush (or would have, if Boss Rush didn't immediately end after the Dragun and prevent you from picking up the 5th round).

Edit:
The Oubliette is almost always worth doing by the time you can reliably get down to Floor 4-5. The Oubliette isn't significantly harder than the first floor

If no keys drop in the first floor and you don't go to the Oubliette, you have the option of two keys on the second floor (which could be spent on first floor chests), but you'll have a floor less income and one fewer boss drop.

If no keys drop in either the first floor or the oubliette and you buy one key per shop, you get two boss drops and either one key going into floor two or the option of a chest in the Oubliette. You still have two floors worth of income (minus 45 casings for two keys) and are in a better position to accomplish whatever your goal is on the run.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 7, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Also just opened up Boss Rush, and inside got Charge Shot, Jetpack and Ring of Triggers.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Try a Ring of Triggers with a Makeshift Cannon and a jetpack. That is some hot bullshit right there.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Atomikus posted:

Try a Ring of Triggers with a Makeshift Cannon and a jetpack. That is some hot bullshit right there.

Haven't unlocked the Makeshift Cannon, but from the Wiki it looks like it would probably one-shot a boss. Does anyone in this thread actually have it unlocked? I've played this game to the point that I've unlocked everything besides the last few hunting quest guns and am still only part way through the one that requires me to kill 30 Shelletons. Did people actually grind out that quest using the shortcuts or just use a cheat engine or something?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Haven't unlocked the Makeshift Cannon, but from the Wiki it looks like it would probably one-shot a boss. Does anyone in this thread actually have it unlocked? I've played this game to the point that I've unlocked everything besides the last few hunting quest guns and am still only part way through the one that requires me to kill 30 Shelletons. Did people actually grind out that quest using the shortcuts or just use a cheat engine or something?

As tedious as the hunting quests are to intentionally unlock, I find them less egregious than the elevator because you don't do anything special for the hunting quests. You just kill monsters, and you'll eventually come across the things the hunting quest wants for you to kill.

You can use the shortcut to speed it up if you know what floor certain enemies appear on, but really, unless you're desperately trying to 100% the game as fast as possible, think of the hunting quests as less of a specific goal and more of "a thing unlocks after you play enough".

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Accidentally started firing in the shop and then threw the gun into the muncher; it did its thing and I was frozen in place while the shopkeep shot me to death
Jr.'s face just says it all; and the Hunter's is pretty great too.
Side note; I've been messing with my graphics settings, the ingame gamma, but I just can't get rid of that ugly fuzz on the text. It makes reading the ammonomicon impossible :(

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
^^^^^
e: That text fuzz is weird and shouldn't be happening. Another site suggested adding "-force-d3d9" to the launch options in Steam to force it to run DirectX 9 which might fix it. Otherwise do the usual suggestion and update your graphics drivers.

Olesh posted:

As tedious as the hunting quests are to intentionally unlock, I find them less egregious than the elevator because you don't do anything special for the hunting quests. You just kill monsters, and you'll eventually come across the things the hunting quest wants for you to kill.

You can use the shortcut to speed it up if you know what floor certain enemies appear on, but really, unless you're desperately trying to 100% the game as fast as possible, think of the hunting quests as less of a specific goal and more of "a thing unlocks after you play enough".

I'll finish them eventually, it just seems like a much more long-term quest than anything else in the game. If they all tracked simultaneously it would go relatively quickly, but only starting to count the kills once you've finished one part of the quest means it's going to take a really long time through normal play. You're likely to still have a few guns left to unlock even if you've long since completed everything else the game has to offer.

Kind of a good thing I guess, otherwise right now I would be at the point where there's no longer any sense of working towards anything. Besides the hunting quests the only achievements I have left are the one for killing enemies with chandeliers (moving very slowly towards complete) and the one for killing enemies while riding a mine cart (I will probably never get this).

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 8, 2017

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I ground it out using elevators and letting ammomancers resummon shelletons. As long as there's at least one other enemy the ammomancer will summon up to three, so you can get through it on four fourth floor trips.

The makeshift cannon doesn't recognize the DPS cap and does bonkers damage to bosses, the downside being that it only has one shot. If you can find a way around that, say with something like duct tape, you are set for life. I duct taped it to a charge shot and chumped every single boss in about two hours.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

110 deaths in I finally succeeded in a Prime Primer run. 113 deaths, and I killed the Marine's past. One down, three to go. The Primer runs were where I first started feeling like "unfair" difficulty, but unlike Isaac, that was because of me handicapping myself (no shop, no chests first floor to hit the Oubliette for enough money, et cetera) or just getting so stressed out my gameplay suffered. I couldn't count on having enough keys for chest loot, so I had to git gud. Of course, as soon as I turned in the primer I died to something stupid, but at least it was on my own terms again.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I am getting better at the game; I only took one stupid hit from Gatling Gull earlier in his library arena when I assumed he was not jumping on top of me but would have easily gotten the Master Round otherwise, corner shooting is so good when you can do it. Later that run I took plenty of hits from Gorgun but the Jolter was still quite effective. I rescued Cursula who showed up on the third floor immediately and I bought Wax Wings and the Shotgun Full of Love from her. The only reason I didn't make it to the boss was a stupid Gunzookie bullet, I had a bunch of pretty nice guns.

Here's a question though: Gun Friendship or Double Vision? I don't have a creeper to make this easier.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I am getting better at the game; I only took one stupid hit from Gatling Gull earlier in his library arena when I assumed he was not jumping on top of me but would have easily gotten the Master Round otherwise, corner shooting is so good when you can do it. Later that run I took plenty of hits from Gorgun but the Jolter was still quite effective. I rescued Cursula who showed up on the third floor immediately and I bought Wax Wings and the Shotgun Full of Love from her. The only reason I didn't make it to the boss was a stupid Gunzookie bullet, I had a bunch of pretty nice guns.

Here's a question though: Gun Friendship or Double Vision? I don't have a creeper to make this easier.

Double Vision recharges twice as fast, Gun Friendship is 30% more damage while active assuming everything hits and faster reloads. Either one's gonna be a nice boost.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Double Vision straight doubles the number of outgoing shots. I find it's always more effective than Gun Friendship. Plus, when combined with the Ice Cube, you can generally keep Double Vision going forever on a boss.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Double Vision is better if you're dealing with ammo problems, as it's a straight 2x damage. Gun Friendship is 2x RoF, +30% damage, -70% reload time, and 10x knockback. It is a significantly bigger DPS increase while active but drains your ammo significantly faster.

However, another thing to consider is that Double Vision recharges in half the damage that Gun Friendship does, so you can use it far more frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Grind, grind, and grind again.

And I've unlocked almost everything bar a couple of items from Supply Drop that require killing certain enemies a lot of times, with a 51/51 achievement count.

Worst thing is - the Makeshift Cannon is actually kind of miserable. Yeah, it hurts a lot, but unless you get extremely lucky and end up with Ancient Hero's Bandana as well, you still aren't killing a boss with it. Yari Launcher I think has more damage potential vs bosses. There are a lot of things I'd rather see drop from S-Class. (Also things I hate seeing. Heart of Ice from an S-Class chest is swear-worthy...)

• Locked thread