Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
How dirty is it? If it can be removed with a damp rag and some gentle soap, try wiping it down first. If it's more like coffee staining, try leather cleaning product. Alternatively, kill two birds with one stone and get a custom slipcover made for it because banana yellow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

KoB posted:

A studio Im looking at said the power outlet polarities are swapped and said its only a problem for electricians. That wouldnt effect any of my stufff would it?
In real world terms, it has very little effect. You know how when you plug in a lamp, you can insert the plug in the outlet one way, or turn the plug around and insert it the other way? One way is the "right" way and one way is the "wrong" way. In technical terms it is wrong and for good reason, furthermore, it is against code.

The most bizarre part is that it would take a handyman 60 minutes to fix every outlet in the whole place and would be way less effort than explaining to every prospective tenant what reverse polarity means.

I think you are well within your rights to request that it be fixed before you move in. You can buy a polarity tester to verify it's correct - Amazon has them for < $10.

Thumposaurus posted:

What's the best way to clean a light-ish colored leather couch?
We bought a used banana yellow leather couch from some dude who's ex-wife had it custom made for pretty cheap just because he wanted it out of his life last year that's a little grungy.
Internet is all over the place with different ideas contridicting each other.
Warm water, gentle soap, damp rag would be step one. I use a leather cleaner called "Leather Honey", but I don't think it does much better job than a dab of dishsoap in warm water, and it's way more expensive.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 5, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's just dingy all over no big stains or whatever. It's a more modern shape so the yellow works for it. I'll try a small spot on the Ottoman and see how it goes.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I just had an apartment complex pull a bait and switch on me. They told me the specific unit I wanted was available so I put in an application and paid the $175 holding fee for it, then when I went to finish the paperwork they were like "oh btw the unit you wanted isn't actually available we can put you in a second floor unit instead". No I wanted the first floor unit for several specific reasons. What are my odds of getting the $175 back? Or should I just eat it as a lesson learned about the shadiness of the management of that complex?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Problem! posted:

I just had an apartment complex pull a bait and switch on me. They told me the specific unit I wanted was available so I put in an application and paid the $175 holding fee for it, then when I went to finish the paperwork they were like "oh btw the unit you wanted isn't actually available we can put you in a second floor unit instead". No I wanted the first floor unit for several specific reasons. What are my odds of getting the $175 back? Or should I just eat it as a lesson learned about the shadiness of the management of that complex?

No. Fight that poo poo to the ends of the Earth.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Problem! posted:

Check the paperwork and make sure that's that the $175 was actually for. If so, fight.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I sent management a mesaage going WTF. I plan to communicate in text-based formats till we get this resolved. I will either take the unit (or similar) I was told I could have or a three bed (which they also offered) for the same price as a 2 bed.

I need a first floor because it comes with more storage space and also my dogs sound like a herd of elephants so our downstairs neighbors will hate us.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Viewing an apartment is like a first date. The person you went out on a first date to you either lied to you or had a misunderstanding with you. If you were 2 years into this relationship I'd recommend counseling and you could work through it. You're 5 minutes into a new relationship and found out the landlord lied to you. Unless there are only 4 apartment complexes in your town or something equally absurd, then it's time to get your buck seventy five back and move on to the next place.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

photomikey posted:

Viewing an apartment is like a first date. The person you went out on a first date to you either lied to you or had a misunderstanding with you. If you were 2 years into this relationship I'd recommend counseling and you could work through it. You're 5 minutes into a new relationship and found out the landlord lied to you. Unless there are only 4 apartment complexes in your town or something equally absurd, then it's time to get your buck seventy five back and move on to the next place.

See that's our problem, there are only a small handful of complexes that allow pets since this area is absurdly pet-hostile due to the number of student renters and I'm not gonna be that rear end in a top hat who dumps their pets because they're moving. That plus being restricted to a certain radius of my husband's work (on-call emergency work) narrows us down quite a bit.

I've bumped it up the chain to the actual manager instead of the leasing reps so I'll see where that goes. Haven't gotten a response yet.

Our second-choice complex is run by the same management company :negative:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Well, two of my three roommates are moving out on fairly short notice. I like the house we've been renting, but having the rent double on the remaining two of us is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Anyone here have any experience with hunting down new roommates? The craigslist "room wanted" ads are loving hilarious but not much use otherwise, at the moment.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Well, two of my three roommates are moving out on fairly short notice. I like the house we've been renting, but having the rent double on the remaining two of us is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Anyone here have any experience with hunting down new roommates? The craigslist "room wanted" ads are loving hilarious but not much use otherwise, at the moment.

This time of year is difficult. Facebook isn't a terrible way to go; you may want to try the LAN threads, as well, if you don't mind living with a Goon.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Write your own ad and filter low effort applications and anyone who is remotely creepy. Interview in person everyone who makes the cut and continue to be vigilant for weirdos. Most severe, can't live with this guy types will out themselves pretty readily.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
I'm moving out of an apartment & into a house. I love everything about it, with one exception....it has one of those door-length windows next to the front door, about 8" wide. While it looks nice, it's plain glass, not frosted like the front door. What are some options to creating some privacy here, since you can clearly see all the way into the living room from outside, especially at night? I want to avoid anything drastic since it's a rental. I'm thinking about just putting a potted cypress outside, and maybe a potted ficus inside as well, but I'm obviously open to ideas....

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Look up window film or privacy film. It clings to the window without adhesive. You can get it in plain frosted, an elaborate faux stained-glass pattern, or anywhere in between.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

They sell little pressure fit curtain rods and narrow curtains for those little door windows. No hardware or sticking things to the window required.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
The privacy film I bought for my last place was static cling. $20 on Amazon, looked good and not gross.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Eponine posted:

The privacy film I bought for my last place was static cling. $20 on Amazon, looked good and not gross.

Like basically this?

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Home-Fashion-Non-Adhesive-6-5-Feet/dp/B007RCX088

I have a million windows in my house, and some of them don't have curtains and directly face the neighbor / outside.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Yep! I only had two windows in my last apartment, but they were huge and I was on the first floor facing an alley. I bought a couple of those clings and they worked great- let in a ton of light and looked nice. I own now but actually have a couple up in my bedroom instead of blinds.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ideally, they pay their rent until new roommates are found since sounds like they are lease jumping.
Will your current landlord let you alter the lease to change or sublet?
In a perfect world, they do the legwork and start to setup group screening of possible new tennants up until they move out/hand the keys over.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

What you do is post a room/shared posting with info about you and good pics of the place, then let the people who want to live there email you.

In Boston this has netted me over 50 applicants every time (even way off season) but that's Boston.

toplitzin posted:

In a perfect world, they do the legwork and start to setup group screening of possible new tennants up until they move out/hand the keys over.
this can backfire depending on how responsible/good the former roommates are. I know I'd rather do the whole thing myself.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, they will be motivated to fill it with whoever they have to. Unless you're good friends they might just stick you with the first warm body.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Just signed a lease on a new place, t minus 59 days till we're out of ghost house.

Got about $300/month knocked off the monthly rate by the property manager for my troubles with their idiot leasing agents :dance:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Problem! posted:

Just signed a lease on a new place, t minus 59 days till we're out of ghost house.

Got about $300/month knocked off the monthly rate by the property manager for my troubles with their idiot leasing agents :dance:

Never solved any of those spoopy mysteries, then? Always wondered about those. Glad you never came to any harm :ghost:

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Problem! posted:

whoa a ghostposter

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Never solved any of those spoopy mysteries, then? Always wondered about those. Glad you never came to any harm :ghost:

Nope. More poo poo has happened since then too. I literally have five CO detectors in the house now and they all read 0. The landlord allowed us to change the locks but that didn't help.

We also have rodents in the walls the landlord refuses to address. We're moving into a new large corporately managed complex for a year before we buy our own house so hopefully no ghosts there :ghost:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Your landlord didn't happen to insist on getting a new key when you replaced the locks, did he?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, uhhh, it just hit me that things are a bit weird with the place I'm moving out of.

My lease ends on March 1st.

I haven't heard from my landlord since October, when they made a bunch of promises to fix certain things (hole in wall, missing outlet, unnumbered door, etc.). None of these things have been addressed, and the list keeps growing.

Gas and Electric company gave me a $270 credit in December, zeroed out my bill, cut me a check, and then never billed me again. I assume this has to do with the fact that the landlord mistakenly wired half my apartment behind the apartment downstairs, who was getting billed for a portion of my usage. I have received no explanation for this.

I haven't paid February's rent yet. I'm not holding out or anything, I just don't know where to send the check since I haven't actually paid anything other than the deposit since I moved in and I delivered that to their temporary office at the landlord's house. I don't know who to address the rent to, physically, or what methods they'll take, so I'm just sort of at a loss on exactly how to pay them. In addition, it's supposed to be prorated for 7 days since I didn't move in until September 8th, so that needs to be ironed out.

I rewrote the lease when I moved in since they sent me a completely unworkable commercial lease. They signed it. It has no provisions for what happens after March 1st. No extension, nothing.

I've verbally accepted a new lease on February 25th to move back to my old apartment.

I'm not really looking for advice (but I'm sure I'll get it), I'm just up at 4am and realizing how surreal the situation is.

Stay safe, haunted goons.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

hailthefish posted:

Your landlord didn't happen to insist on getting a new key when you replaced the locks, did he?

Nope, just told us to give them the keys when we moved out.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Problem! posted:

Nope, just told us to give them the keys when we moved out.

I'd take the locks and put the old ones in.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Even now, the water comes for me:

Also, my landlord's secretary just called to tell me that I should fill some containers with water because the water is getting shut off and I should have water on hand if I want to use the toilet.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The house I live in now is being put on the market in a couple weeks.

There's about a three week overlap between it being on the market and me moving out during which they will do showings. The realtor says that she will give me 24 hours notice to GTFO for showings and get my personal stuff out of sight. There is nothing in my lease regarding showings, would it be out of line to ask for some sort of stipend for entertainment and/or dog boarding while I'm being kicked out for these showings? I have no vested interest in the house selling or not so not being allowed in my house for several hours at a time is 100% pure inconvenience on my part.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone successfully used magnetic paint?

I have a long wall at work that we want to make into a pinup board. Could use super magnets. But everything I read says that magnetic paint is ineffective unless you do a half dozen coats and that could be prohibitive on a wall that long

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Problem! posted:

There is nothing in my lease regarding showings, would it be out of line to ask for some sort of stipend for entertainment and/or dog boarding while I'm being kicked out for these showings?

Wouldn't hurt to ask them to knock a couple hundred off the rent. If they say no thank you, just leave all your poo poo out during the first showing, and they'll get the idea.

Defenestration posted:

I have a long wall at work that we want to make into a pinup board. Could use super magnets. But everything I read says that magnetic paint is ineffective unless you do a half dozen coats and that could be prohibitive on a wall that long
You can get long thin sheets of sheet metal that you can hang that actually work. Magnetic paint doesn't work.

You could use cork and thumbtacks.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Defenestration posted:

What you do is post a room/shared posting with info about you and good pics of the place, then let the people who want to live there email you.

In Boston this has netted me over 50 applicants every time (even way off season) but that's Boston.

Holy christ you were right about this. I'm amazed by the number of responses I got. Had a visitor earlier today that was a pretty cool dude too, so I'm happy for that -- the landlord puts every potential tenant through a background check, which I'm hoping will be enough in the event that something was hidden from me.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Problem! posted:

The house I live in now is being put on the market in a couple weeks.

There's about a three week overlap between it being on the market and me moving out during which they will do showings. The realtor says that she will give me 24 hours notice to GTFO for showings and get my personal stuff out of sight. There is nothing in my lease regarding showings, would it be out of line to ask for some sort of stipend for entertainment and/or dog boarding while I'm being kicked out for these showings? I have no vested interest in the house selling or not so not being allowed in my house for several hours at a time is 100% pure inconvenience on my part.

If you still live there they can't reasonably ask you to not be there just because they have showings. They'd definitely have to reimburse you for the time that you don't have access to the thing you are paying to have access to.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Think of it this way: they could end your lease early or wait to put it on the market until your lease is up, but they are being cheap and using you as a stager for their place. It's not unreasonable to ask that they have access to the place with notice, but to ask you to get your personal stuff out of sight and leave your home for hours at a time is unreasonable.
My friend bought a condo last summer that was being occupied with renters and she met the renters at the viewing a few times. The place was kind of a mess, but because she's a person with a small amount of spatial awareness, they didn't need to move their entire lives to accommodate the viewing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Defenestration posted:

I have tried to use magnetic paint twice and it is extremely bad. In order for it to work you have to put so much on the wall that you'd be better just nailing a thin sheet of metal up or getting a huge slab of that magnetized rubber stuff they use to make fridge magnets. Using super-strong magnets doesn't help either because the problem is that there is very little material for it to grab on - I have a stack of neodymium magnets and they will barely hold up a single piece of paper on magnetic paint.

Also the surface has to be very smooth, so if your wall has any texture or god forbid is plastered, it will be even worse.

If you are adamant about trying I have half a can of the stuff you can have to paint on something and then glare at in frustration.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

If you are adamant about trying I have half a can of the stuff you can have to paint on something and then glare at in frustration.
You make it sound so fun how could I not?

Going to price out sheet metal and corkboard versions instead

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Defenestration posted:

Holy poo poo this was effective. I don't know why I ever tried looking only in the ads posted by people who wanted a room, as opposed to posting an ad for a room myself. Got someone who will move in on Tuesday, assuming that the landlord's background check doesn't find anything disastrous.

Primary leaseholding responsibilities shift to me at the end of the month, once the current primary leaseholder moves out. Not something I've done before for a household. Currently there isn't any paper around the roommates' responsibilities (no subleasing agreements or anything); anyone have any suggestions on where to start with all that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The heat pump in my apartment is failing to keep up in fantastic ways. I pressed them about it before I moved back in and they said they got it fixed. I went back over Friday and they had someone come out again. For the last several days it's been burning :10bux: a day sitting on Aux Heat and still failing to get back up to the 72 it's been set at. I e-mailed the other landlady last night and she actually got back to me promptly at 10pm on a Saturday night saying she would try to get an emergency guy over in the morning. We'll see. It's 56 on the inside now. Still set at 72.

ME IRL: