Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Good god y'all, being a humorless pedant isn't a prerequisite for being GWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GWM: sell your horses to this guy:

"Fast cash"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Making glue with horses - GWM or BWM?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Business, Finance, and Careers › Bad With Money - I BOUGHT EVERY HORSE I'VE EVER SEEN

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

pig slut lisa posted:

Business, Finance, and Careers › Bad With Money - I BOUGHT EVERY HORSE I'VE EVER SEEN

I don't have anything better than this forever.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

pr0zac posted:

This part is a huge pain in my rear end right now. My wife is Canadian and because of this rule we have to keep our finances completely separate cause if we don't the IRS will claim taxes on HER Canadian retirement accounts.
A bargain at twice the price in exchange for the rights and freedoms you enjoy granted only through the full weight and credibility of god's chosen nation.

pig slut lisa posted:

Unity in times of divisiveness.

Assalamu alaikum.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 4, 2017

Hydronium
Oct 23, 2008

FCKGW posted:

You sell the house and rent somewhere cheaper.

Or buy a sweet RV and tour the country.

We live in a relatively high COL area, but she has a small house in a outlying rural area that won't sell for much. Also, she owns horses.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

n8r posted:

Good thing because if you make 100k your taxes go way up.

Yeah, on that .01 that goes to $100k.

edit:
I also don't think its $100k either. Like 120k or something like that. Not a CPA so not too sure.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 4, 2017

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Guest2553 posted:

The IRS also doesn't recognize some tax-advantaged accounts and will assess taxes on them anyways.

This part is a huge pain in my rear end right now. My wife is Canadian and because of this rule we have to keep our finances completely separate cause if we don't the IRS will claim taxes on HER Canadian retirement accounts.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

pig slut lisa posted:

This is the best possible thread title.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

WampaLord posted:

"Fast cash"

Strange?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

WampaLord posted:

"Fast cash"

I assume this is either a photoshop or parody of those "I buy any house" ads. Those are BWM though since selling your house with only one bidder is pretty silly.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

Living the dream.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WampaLord posted:

"Fast cash"

I TOLD YOU BRO I TOLD YOU ABOUT HORSES

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I assume this is either a photoshop or parody of those "I buy any house" ads. Those are BWM though since selling your house with only one bidder is pretty silly.

The area code says it's in Los Angeles which is definitely full of weird enough people to make this a viable real business

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe he owns a glue factory?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

pig slut lisa posted:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm gonna buy this horse, I'll buy that horse...I'll buy any horse that moves!!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

monster on a stick posted:

Making glue with horses - GWM or BWM?

Would you like a Doobie Dog?

Neigh.

Veskit posted:

"Horse"

BFC - Bad With Money Thread - 467
Heavy Petting - 420

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 5, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Business, Finance, and Careers › Bad With Money - Horses typically appreciate at about 10% per year

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

pig slut lisa posted:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Are we sure that guy doesn't just operate a glue factory and is actually GWM?

Edit: beaten badly.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Edit, unable to phone post correctly.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I actually knew a guy who used to do that, go around buying dead and sick horses and livestock to turn them into Purina. Really depressing job, you see a lot of neglect and abuse. He stuck a 12 gauge in his mouth a decade ago. Rural living is BWM!

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

I actually knew a guy who used to do that, go around buying dead and sick horses and livestock to turn them into Purina. Really depressing job, you see a lot of neglect and abuse. He stuck a 12 gauge in his mouth a decade ago. Rural living is BWM!

Buying horses in any context leads to suicide which removes the need for retirement savings: GWM

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DMCrimson posted:

Buying horses in any context leads to suicide which removes the need for retirement savings: GWM

Yeah but life insurance won't pay out and your family will wind up all Death of a Salesman, BWM

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah but life insurance won't pay out and your family will wind up all Death of a Salesman, BWM

Inheritance is a crutch that perpetuates wealth gaps so still GWM

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

It pays out if it's more than 2 years old. Just plan out your suicide in advance.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Life insurance can absolutely pay out in cases of suicide. It still doesn't suck any less.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

Thanks FAU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Reddit poster doesn't have nearly enough financial balls in the air, desires to add another:

quote:

Hi. Hoping I can get some advice.

To avoid the ramble, here's the gist:

Professional school set me back $280k
Loans have been deferred until June 2017.
Half are gov't, half are private. Gov't loans are in IBR, which is set to expire. Re-applying now. If the full brunt of student loans hit, it would cost me very likely $3000/mo.
Wife's masters set us back $20k
I make $100k/year
Looking for part time work to help supplement income
Wife makes $45k/year as a contractor. If she stuck it out at her current job another year and was hired into her industry, her income would very likely double.

2.5 year old in daycare for $900/mo.
2nd baby due end of April, which means losing wife's income for probably 2+ months after she runs out of sick and vacation time.

Once wife returns to work, if we send our infant to the same daycare as my toddler, total daycare costs will be $2100/mo. We've already paid a deposit to hold her a place there, but $1200/mo for an infant seems INSANE, and I'm actively looking for a friend/neighbor/relative who would be willing to watch our infant for like $30/day.

Rent is $1100/mo, but owner wants to sell the house by summertime. We've considered buying it for ~$150k, which is in line with what we think we can afford (and is actually a decent price for the neighborhood), but the house was built in 1940 and needs some work, which means putting money we don't really have into maintenance/fixing things. The house is also a bit small for our wants, but we can make it work if needed.

TLDR: We have $20k in liquid assets. No car payment. No revolving credit card debt. We need a more permanent living situation.

Net income $7200/mo
Rent, utilities, food = $2000/mo
Daycare = $2100/mo come August
Student loans = possibly $3000/mo come June

How hosed am I?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Well according to BFC this person is extremely rich if they make $100,001 or more so I don't see the problem

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Actually, a household income of 145k is higher than arghlblblblbl

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If he'd just check his privilege then he'd be fine.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
What professional school sets you back 280k? Like holy poo poo, even at part time, top law schools and MBA programs are half of that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

quote:

Once wife returns to work, if we send our infant to the same daycare as my toddler, total daycare costs will be $2100/mo. We've already paid a deposit to hold her a place there, but $1200/mo for an infant seems INSANE, and I'm actively looking for a friend/neighbor/relative who would be willing to watch our infant for like $30/day.

The great part about this is $1200 a month for care for the infant is insane, but $900 (under the table, even!) apparently is not.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nail Rat posted:

The great part about this is $1200 a month for care for the infant is insane, but $900 (under the table, even!) apparently is not.

$1200 is a steal for a good daycare in my part of the country. I don't think this guy realizes that there are mandated staff to child ratios.

Jan 11, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

$30 per working day is more like $600/mo

Jan 11, 2004

JohnGalt posted:

What professional school sets you back 280k? Like holy poo poo, even at part time, top law schools and MBA programs are half of that.

Any medical school, many law schools, keep in mind that you have to eat food and live somewhere while not working in addition to paying tuition and accumulating interest for several years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Med students pay that off in what like 4 years? 5 if they are too cool for dermatology and maybe 6 if they really wanted that 911. I don't think they are a doctor.

• Locked thread