Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So apparently if an enemy declares war on a vassal of mine, I dont get to call my allies to the war :thumbup: This doesnt make any sense.

I've never seen it work that way before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tsyni posted:

I've never seen it work that way before.
I'm thinking that maybe because I was in a different offensive war? When I play again I'll see if ending that war let's me call in my allies?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They should be called automatically in a defensive war, even if the war was declared on your vassal. If they didn't answer the call, then they're probably too exhausted or in debt, in which case your alliance is broken. And that's probably why you got attacked, because the aggressor knew that you were in a weak position due to your allies being too exhausted or in debt to answer the defensive call to arms.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

They should be called automatically in a defensive war, even if the war was declared on your vassal. If they didn't answer the call, then they're probably too exhausted or in debt, in which case your alliance is broken. And that's probably why you got attacked, because the aggressor knew that you were in a weak position due to your allies being too exhausted or in debt to answer the defensive call to arms.

You should get a pop-up then about your cowardly allies, but maybe not with vassal wars?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

oddium posted:

i got block haaaaard midgame with regards to norway, near constant france alliance and no allies to snipe from that weren't also allied to heavy hitters. and then commonwealth takes of defender of the faith, protecting both christian norway and sweden. super easy to get around that one though as i was allies with commonwealth and would just start a holy war against hamburg or something and clean up sweden while they pretended not to look

100 years left, maybe i'll see it through and dismantle the hre

Just declare anyway, most of your territory is in GB so they can't actually invade if you have a decent navy (or even if you don't because the AI is really dumb at naval invasions). Wait out the enemy allies and peace them out, then stomp the main foe. The AI sucks at fighting long wars, just snipe stacks here and there, snipe sieges with cannon stacks and siege leaders, and then once you've got length of war in your favor trim the enemy list down and drop them cold.

In a situation like this I don't go after the main target first, I go after allied nations to trim the war until it's in my favor.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah but i'm a turbo baby who hates losing good runs

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Uh i took a look at the rest of the world and it's silly. Scotland kicked out of Europe (again just like in my Italy game) and residing in Mexico, constantly fabricating claims on my province of kilwa, God knows why.

France owning the whole caribbean except for havana, which is scottish. The united states popping out in 1701. Brazil was already independent by the time I could see south America.

Austria owns kildare and leinster and part of the low countries. The Ottomans snaked up to moscow. The Pope has almost all of Italy except Milan and savoy that are owned by Genoa.

This is really hosed up, and I had absolutely nothing to do with any of it being occupied with owning east Africa and most of Arabia plus Australia.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Uh i took a look at the rest of the world and it's silly. Scotland kicked out of Europe (again just like in my Italy game) and residing in Mexico, constantly fabricating claims on my province of kilwa, God knows why.

If Kilwa has a gold mine then colonial powers will mark it of interest I think. In my Mali game, France broke their alliance with me for no apparent reason until I saw they'd marked the gold producing provinces I'd just snatched from Mutapa as key provinces, despite having no territory in Africa.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Why cant I send ships to protect trade in Gulf of Aden? Is just not on the list. What happens?

I think this is not the first game where I find this problem either

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

oddium posted:

This is also me!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Don't conquer into Europe if you want to enact the Unify Islam decision anytime before 1700. It looks like CoFs can convert your Sunni provinces somehow?

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
Hey goons, I need some help in how to proceed with my Basileus into Mare Nostrum game. This is the world in 1725:

Urbino and Syria are my vassals, and Great Britain is my PU vassal. I'm integrating Urbino in 2 years, Syria after that, and I can start integrating Great Britain in 1754. I'm allied to Brandenburg and a middling sized Ethiopia, and was allied with Poland until just a year ago.

Here's my problem:

I have a massive coalition and I missed my window to start rolling truce timers to keep enough people out of the coalition so that it wouldn't be a problem. Austria (who still has his Burgundian Inheritance) is at -127 for AE, Spain -84, and France -37. Everybody else is meaningless.

Here's a look at my army situation:

Obviously I'd build more troops if I could, but:

My economy isn't really in good enough shape to build 100k more troops. I've got a little more autonomy to squeeze out of the Savoy and southern italian regions I just conquered though.

There's also this weird thing I've never seen before:

I saw an opportunity to attack France's PU vassal, Portugal, but Spain would join under the auspices of "Coalition War," even though it is obviously the only country in the actual coalition that seems like it would join. This seems like the most obvious move, as I can definitely take on France and Spain together, though it'd be bloody, long, and drawn out.

Time's running out and I have a lot of development to conquer, though I think this is imminently doable. Opinions? Wait for France to pop out of the coalition? Go for the bloody France/Spain war? Should I loan up and spam more buildings for a better economy and hopefully support my force limit's worth to dissuade coalitions? I still need to embrace the Enlightenment, but that's about 7k ducats, and I make about 100 ducats a month defunding the army. Let me know if I'm missing anything obvious, I'd really like to get Mare Nostrum this run if I could.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I doubt spamming more buildings to improve your economy is a good idea. You don't have a ton of time left in the game and my guess is they won't pay for themselves quickly enough. You'd probably be better off just taking out loans and putting that money directly into your army. Don't be afraid to run a large deficit during an important war.

Your fort maintenance is pretty high. Don't be shy about demolishing forts - if you're conquering a lot of territory it's easy to end up with waaaaay more than you need, which you then have to pay through the nose for.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

I doubt spamming more buildings to improve your economy is a good idea. You don't have a ton of time left in the game and my guess is they won't pay for themselves quickly enough. You'd probably be better off just taking out loans and putting that money directly into your army. Don't be afraid to run a large deficit during an important war.

Your fort maintenance is pretty high. Don't be shy about demolishing forts - if you're conquering a lot of territory it's easy to end up with waaaaay more than you need, which you then have to pay through the nose for.

That's a good point, I don't know why I didn't remember to destroy all those new forts I got from conquering Italy. Thanks.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Why cant I send ships to protect trade in Gulf of Aden? Is just not on the list. What happens?

I think this is not the first game where I find this problem either

Maybe your trade range isn't far enough. Who are you playing and do you have any provinces near the horn of Africa?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Chump Farts posted:

I'm trying some English achievements, and it seems the Surrender of Maine means France can call allies and I can't. Do I have to declare on them first with my allies or is there something I'm not getting?

Getting the right circumstances to beat France is kind of tricky. You want to be in a situation where they're not allied to anyone powerful and you have allies that will ask for territory in exchange for joining the war. Brittany is your best bet, with Aragon rarely being interested as well. Brittany will usually rival you, though, but if you restart until they don't, things should work out. The other thing to do is remember you have a very good general, but you don't outnumber France. To ensure the war starts under the best circumstances possible, place your forces on the border of Paris, max them out with some cavalry, and keep military maintenance at maximum. When the war starts, immediately attack the 18k stack on Paris. Because their military maintenance won't be max initially, there's a good chance you'll be able to pull off a stack wipe. It's not a sure bet even after that, but you should be able to take Paris quickly then wear them down.

I'm finishing up my own England game right now. The early game was tough, since the only expansion I could do in Europe was through Brittany, since Spain formed early and got a nice set of alliances, but I managed to clear out Ireland and Scotland fast, then supported Sweden's independence, married them, then claimed their throne and got a PU with them as well. After that, once the leagues formed in the HRE I managed to become Emperor. My only action as emperor was to get Britain into the HRE before Austria took it back, but once the league wars ended it was easy to become emperor again.

I wanted to confirm one thing, though. If you force annex somebody, their colonies become yours, right? I'm still trying for my first WC. I think my next attempt will be as Coptic Ottomans for maximum blobbing potential.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I've gotten around to seriously playing Muscovy-Russia for the first time ever and oh my god if you can duck the wrath of Poland for long enough you're gonna be winning so much you're gonna beg the Tsar "Please Tsar, we're winning too much, please stop winning."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

oddium posted:

Wilekat posted:

This is also me!

Back up your save file somewhere, do whatever, if poo poo goes south, revert.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

some of us intend on getting in to gamer heaven 🙅

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Aisar posted:

Hey goons, I need some help in how to proceed with my Basileus into Mare Nostrum game. This is the world in 1725:

Urbino and Syria are my vassals, and Great Britain is my PU vassal. I'm integrating Urbino in 2 years, Syria after that, and I can start integrating Great Britain in 1754. I'm allied to Brandenburg and a middling sized Ethiopia, and was allied with Poland until just a year ago.

Here's my problem:

I have a massive coalition and I missed my window to start rolling truce timers to keep enough people out of the coalition so that it wouldn't be a problem. Austria (who still has his Burgundian Inheritance) is at -127 for AE, Spain -84, and France -37. Everybody else is meaningless.

Here's a look at my army situation:

Obviously I'd build more troops if I could, but:

My economy isn't really in good enough shape to build 100k more troops. I've got a little more autonomy to squeeze out of the Savoy and southern italian regions I just conquered though.

There's also this weird thing I've never seen before:

I saw an opportunity to attack France's PU vassal, Portugal, but Spain would join under the auspices of "Coalition War," even though it is obviously the only country in the actual coalition that seems like it would join. This seems like the most obvious move, as I can definitely take on France and Spain together, though it'd be bloody, long, and drawn out.

Time's running out and I have a lot of development to conquer, though I think this is imminently doable. Opinions? Wait for France to pop out of the coalition? Go for the bloody France/Spain war? Should I loan up and spam more buildings for a better economy and hopefully support my force limit's worth to dissuade coalitions? I still need to embrace the Enlightenment, but that's about 7k ducats, and I make about 100 ducats a month defunding the army. Let me know if I'm missing anything obvious, I'd really like to get Mare Nostrum this run if I could.

Neat trick with coalitions.

If you attack an ally of someone in the coalition and declare the coalition member as a Co-Belligerent in your war. The entire coalition gets dragged into the war against you.

Blows right? Not at all. Because the war isnt with the Coalition CB but rather the CB you used as the agressor that means that not only do none of the enemy nations get the +30 war enthusiasm bonus. But each and every single one of the bastards can be targeted with a separate peace.

Reminder: All those nations other than the one you declared as a CB will have all the usual penalties to taking their land. Except to pay massive diplo points for any land taken from them but otherwise its an amazing way to get them all on staggered truce timers as you can just take all their ducats, break all their allies etc. until you have the truce time you want with them

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
This comes up in the thread every now and then so I think some people might find this interesting: how long it takes for buildings to be profitable.

I'd never realized you get less value out of upgrading a (tax/production) building than just building a new one from scratch. Actually thought the opposite.

My big takeaways are: temples are nearly always worthwhile. Production buildings on high value trade goods pay off incredibly quickly, but are probably almost never worth building on low value goods. Upgrading from the lower tier building to cathedrals/ counting houses is almost never worth it, but building them from scratch can be.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you attack an ally of someone in the coalition and declare the coalition member as a Co-Belligerent in your war. The entire coalition gets dragged into the war against you.

Blows right? Not at all. Because the war isnt with the Coalition CB but rather the CB you used as the agressor that means that not only do none of the enemy nations get the +30 war enthusiasm bonus. But each and every single one of the bastards can be targeted with a separate peace.

Reminder: All those nations other than the one you declared as a CB will have all the usual penalties to taking their land. Except to pay massive diplo points for any land taken from them but otherwise its an amazing way to get them all on staggered truce timers as you can just take all their ducats, break all their allies etc. until you have the truce time you want with them

This sounds like good poo poo. Gonna have to try this. :thumbsup:

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 6, 2017

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

oh my god yes, that'll do just fine, thanks for the tip

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tsyni posted:

Maybe your trade range isn't far enough. Who are you playing and do you have any provinces near the horn of Africa?

Im Genoa, is late game (I got diplo tech 27). And I have provinces everywhere along the way, since Ive colonized a big chunk of Asia and needed ports to get there. That includes some provinces in east Africa (near the horn, yes) and a couple in Ceylon, both pretty close Gulf of Aden. All full cored

Unless I not understanding how the trade range is calculated, I cant see how this could be a range problem

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 6, 2017

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
I am buying one DLC a month.

I need to still get.
Rights of Man
Mare Nostrum
Cossacks

What one should I get first?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im Genoa, is late game (I got diplo tech 27). And I have provinces everywhere along the way, since Ive colonized a big chunk of Asia and needed ports to get there. That includes some provinces in east Africa (near the horn, yes) and a couple in Ceylon, both pretty close Gulf of Aden. All full cored

Unless I not understanding how the trade range is calculated, I cant see how this could be a range problem

I thought trade range worked differently as well, but it looks like you can only protect trade in nodes that you have a port (and maybe nodes you have naval access in).

Ok, I lied. I have no idea how it works, lol. I have Alexandria cored and is a state and the furthest I can protect (as Ethopia) is Aleppo, which I also have a province in. I can protect Indus, Ceylon without a province there though. I guess it also accounts for downstream nodes between nodes you control, because I have cores in Philippines etc? I dunno.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 6, 2017

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Uziduke posted:

I need to still get.
Rights of Man
Mare Nostrum
Cossacks

RoM I'd say.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Uziduke posted:

I need to still get.
Rights of Man
Mare Nostrum
Cossacks

It's a matter of taste. I like RoM because of the Consort Regency system, but Cossacks is great because of how busted Estates can be early game.

Either of those are good choices. Just don't pick Mare Nostrum. That is objectively the wrong choice.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Got conquest of paradise last month. Came so close to getting no trail of tears. gently caress France colonizing the south east and being allys with everyone.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Uziduke posted:

I need to still get.
Rights of Man
Mare Nostrum
Cossacks

I really like the automated naval combat of Mare Nostrum.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uziduke posted:

I need to still get.
Rights of Man
Mare Nostrum
Cossacks

Rights of Man, 100%. Mare Nostrum is kind of a bare-bones expansion and the estate system in Cossacks is still controversial to this day, somehow, but the new regency mechanics and leader traits in RoM are excellent

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
just skimmed through the whole thread over a week or so while i had free time to look at all the interesting maps people have posted over the life of the thread and found this post from 2015:

junidog posted:

Random gameplay idea: in addition to the regular core option, add a second option for a minicore that costs half as much, but locks autonomy to 75%. Basically opening up the option to treat normal, contiguous land as distant overseas. It's either a permanent choice and you can never change to a full core, or give the player the option of upgrading, but have it cost the regular full coring price, so you're essentially paying 150%.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

oddium posted:

Well if you've decided ahead of time that you can't win then I guess nothing I say is going to matter. Of course, in my mind a good run is one where I actually achieve all my objectives.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Xinder posted:

just skimmed through the whole thread over a week or so while i had free time to look at all the interesting maps people have posted over the life of the thread and found this post from 2015:
I guess that's why Paradox keeps reading these threads. A thousand goons in front of a thousand computers and eventually one will post something good.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Elias_Maluco posted:

Do you have any trade power in Gulf of Aden?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One feature I'd like to see is some kind of army automation. Just use the same AI code reserved for giving orders to your vassals, just allow for manual override at any time.

90% of my games end around 1550 or 1600 because I get entangled in some major war that I could probably easily win, but I can't be bothered to micromanage my six 30k-strong armies.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Couple questions about the Papal State.

What exactly happens when you form the Kingdom of God and the Curia is disabled? I've played the Papal State before and disbanded the Curia and I'm pretty sure I still got elected pope and gained the benefits for Curia controller 1/3 or 1/2 the time after that. What are the pros/cons of forming the Kingdom? You get the modifiers and all Latin cultures accepted, what else?

What's a good strategy for vassalizing the TO? In my game they've been completely eaten by Poland/Lithuania, and their cores expire in 1620 (it's 1470 so I have a lot of time, 150 years). I'm thinking I'll take Diplomatic ideas then no-CB the Livonian Order, use that to fabricate claims on Poland's TO cores. I think I should have plenty of time to get Holy Trinity.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

Xinder posted:

I doubt that was relevant; the idea of "take existing mechanic, but give the player more control/make it less arbitrary" isn't super unique. The only overlap with what we ended up getting was what already existed in the game, cheap high autonomy cores. The states system is way more nuanced (and better) than that suggestion.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My 83-year-old Kind-Hearted 4/4/4 pope died and was replaced by a 4/4/5 45-year-old Malevolent pope. He must be a Borgia. Hell, he probably killed the last pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Staltran posted:

Do you have any trade power in Gulf of Aden?

Yeah, I do.

But playing yesterday Gulf of Aden finally showed in protect trade list. I dont know why or how or what changed, but probably was a trade range issue after all. I wish there was a trade range map mode, its quite obscure

Speaking about trade: my home node is Genoa, but I also have like 87% in Venice, because I control most of its provinces. Both are "end" nodes, so I cant steer from Venice to Genoa. So what happens with my trade in Venice? Does it ends there? Does it goes to Genoa somehow?

It says on the trade node window that it gives me 10 g income, but I dont understand how it works. I tried putting a merchant there to collect, but that actually lowered my income

• Locked thread