Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

Ered Luin is the superior starting zone.

Just as a broken clock is right twice a day, sassassin has a single correct opinion.

extra stout posted:

Highlights:

-All interior 'hooks' for items in houses can now be slid around, so you can essentially re-arrange your entire house to have troll heads and wood beds and other things that rhyme with those wherever you want them once this patch hits in February more or less.
Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I picked up warden and runekeeper and I see warden has a ranged dps tree. do people actually, like, played them as ranged dps or is that one of those weird non-choice pubbie traps? I can see the value in running around with it for solo leveling, but that sounds really goofy otherwise. :v:

RK seems okay so far and I like the idea that I could play either healer or DPS and nobody would care either way, where I know I'm going to get pigeonholed into healing on Minstrel (which isn't necessarily bad). But I don't know if I like all of the inductions needed.

The visual feel of Wardens is cool. I like running around with a spear and javelin strapped to my back. I made mine a hobbit. :3:

e: if you dont choose the Plumed Hat whenever you make a new character, regardless of your armor type, you are a bad person

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 21, 2017

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Tsurupettan posted:

The visual feel of Wardens is cool. I like running around with a spear and javelin strapped to my back. I made mine a hobbit. :3:

e: if you dont choose the Plumed Hat whenever you make a new character, regardless of your armor type, you are a bad person

I think you're starting to get what this game is really about :)

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

I picked up warden and runekeeper and I see warden has a ranged dps tree. do people actually, like, played them as ranged dps or is that one of those weird non-choice pubbie traps? I can see the value in running around with it for solo leveling, but that sounds really goofy otherwise. :v:

RK seems okay so far and I like the idea that I could play either healer or DPS and nobody would care either way, where I know I'm going to get pigeonholed into healing on Minstrel (which isn't necessarily bad). But I don't know if I like all of the inductions needed.

flowinprose posted:

I think you're starting to get what this game is really about :)

And as a former CoX player(:cry:), you'll soon come to really appreciate this game's cosmetic system.

I totally agree with you about the way that Wardens look. Even though I don't like how the class plays, running around looking like a Spartan warrior was really cool.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

No trap, throwing your javelin or using your spear is really only a matter of which piece of gear is better at the moment. The 'penalty' for being in ranged stance is negligible. I use it all the time just for the utility of ranged pulls.

All that said, the consensus is that the yellow skill tree is garbage, and the solo warden is better served by going red. All the bonuses from the red tree will still work in ranged stance.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Just when you thought we had enough stuff coming:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/20/massively-op-interview-standing-stone-on-lotro-ddo-and-daybreak/

"Rob Ciccolini: Yes. For [LOTRO's] Mordor expansion, we are looking at the High Elf as a new playable race, and we are adding a system that allows players to pledge their sword to Men, Elves, Dwarves, or Hobbits in their battle against Mordor."

Not sure if this is just a minor idea to make elves who can be captains, some people in /world are suggesting a new class/race combo like the beorning again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That's going to piss off a lot of people who already thought they were playing Noldor.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

That interview seems to confirm that new character models and animations are actively being worked on, and not just an idea.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Elves with beards. Make it happen, standing stone.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When you can make dark-haired & pale Elves from Rivendell who are trained by Elrond and can fight by spreading obscene amounts of light damage is there really a need for "high" elves (what is this, warhammer fantasy?)?

?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just spent some of my sweet lifetime sub bucks on all of the inventory slots and, for my Burg, all of the legendary item slots and all of the cosmetic outfit slots. So I hope I'll still have enough funbux for high elves or whatever. (Although that's the sort of thing I sometimes get free.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

extra stout posted:

Just when you thought we had enough stuff coming:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/20/massively-op-interview-standing-stone-on-lotro-ddo-and-daybreak/

"Rob Ciccolini: Yes. For [LOTRO's] Mordor expansion, we are looking at the High Elf as a new playable race, and we are adding a system that allows players to pledge their sword to Men, Elves, Dwarves, or Hobbits in their battle against Mordor."

Not sure if this is just a minor idea to make elves who can be captains, some people in /world are suggesting a new class/race combo like the beorning again.

Give us Hobbit Captains, SSG, Merry and Pippin demand proper recognition for their RotK roles. :colbert:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Evil Fluffy posted:

Give us Hobbit Captains, SSG, Frodo demands proper recognition for his role. :colbert:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Been playing with my Warden some more, and jesus the amount of back and forth running in the shire is ridiculous. I don't ever want to touch this starting zone again. I ended up just gunning it through the prologue story and getting to Bree. :smith:

Is there a point where wardens get faster at killing things? honestly I am feeling a bit spoiled by my Minstrel at this point. Gambits are cool but things are just kind of glacial. I am in the red tree, too.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tsurupettan posted:

Been playing with my Warden some more, and jesus the amount of back and forth running in the shire is ridiculous. I don't ever want to touch this starting zone again. I ended up just gunning it through the prologue story and getting to Bree. :smith:

Is there a point where wardens get faster at killing things? honestly I am feeling a bit spoiled by my Minstrel at this point. Gambits are cool but things are just kind of glacial. I am in the red tree, too.

I have barely played the warden class but from what I know (assuming you have a good modern red line spec and know your gambits well) the class is usually shown off for soloing things and not dying, not for killing with extreme speed. I imagine your remaining options for more DPS beyond reviewing your rotation, adjusting your build etc, is just to overgear. But that is typically not the best use of time until level 100-105. Mathom armors are account bound, so whichever char you open your daily hobbit present on you can mail them to that character if you want to get a bit more beefy.

Low level minstrel DPS is one of the more explosive in game, so maybe just don't compare them and you're set!

Final option: Roll a 105 champ and spend months getting perfect gear on it, go two hander berserk mode.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
My wife and I have been slowly leveling a minstrel and warden hobbit duo. Minstrel was pretty much wrecking house and leaving the warden getting only a shot or two in until the late teens and very early 20s. Once you get into the latter parts of Bree you should see it ramp up a bit.

Edit: the goblin camps in the extreme north of the shire was the first time I had to scale back and think about doing some actual healing, but we may have been fighting above level at that point.

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 25, 2017

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

I play a warden in the mid-levels (47 right now) and one thing I've learned is that a warden will take just as long to kill one enemy as they do to kill 5 enemies. What I mean is, our AOE line (fist-shield combos) are some of the best damage we've got. I routinely round up as many enemies as I can without them leashing, rely on my medium armor, shield, dodge and evade to stay alive, and just work through the War Cry gambit chain. You need Surety of Death (fi-sh-fi-sh) to really start cooking, and you might be too low level right now to have it. But man, a hunter might be able to blow up a single mob in 3 seconds, but we can bring down the whole room before they've gotten halfway done.

Depending on your level, you may or may not have access to the gambit "mastery" skills. These skills seriously increase the pace of gambits, and are also the reason wardens have such a reputation as a complex and difficult class.

Look me up in game as Puckles if you have any warden questions. I'm also happy to hook you up with some seed money (that goes for any newbie) to get some decent crafted armor/weapons from the AH.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The best class to play is Burglar if you like taking ten minutes to kill a single trash mob.

(I still love my Burg tho)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

extra stout posted:

Final option: Roll a 105 champ and spend months getting perfect gear on it, go two hander berserk mode.

thanks i'll just buy a level 95 and do this!

Joking aside, is there some story behind this since you mention it?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Bramble posted:

I play a warden in the mid-levels (47 right now) and one thing I've learned is that a warden will take just as long to kill one enemy as they do to kill 5 enemies.

Yellow guardian is/was the same.

Slow and steady genocides the base.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I haven't touched Warden since before the combat revamp in Helm's Deep but IIRC around the 40s or so you could start rounding up large groups of enemies and kill them through AOE. Not sure how viable that is any more though.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tsurupettan posted:

thanks i'll just buy a level 95 and do this!

Joking aside, is there some story behind this since you mention it?

Champions do some of the best damage in the game but have been neglected by the devs for years at a time, so we're pretty much always reduced to a single strategy, build, super armor and weapons, and our 'group value' only includes a few debuffs, good interrupts, I was just making a joke because my main is a champion and it's annoying how many classes can do 90 percent of my damage and then also have the choice of switching traits and doing something else effectively.

Hunters and Captains both can do pretty good damage despite also having a loving collection of cool useful things people want one of them in a group for, ports, swiftly traveling around and buffing people etc. Guardians are arguably still the best tanks in game and if they switch to red and get a two handed axe they can do 90 percent as much damage as I do as well.

What I think is cool and SSG should give me some data on it: I see almost as many champions in the game as any other class despite this. Even when they took away shields from us, even when yellow line AOE was considered the only acceptable build, even with red RK damage being insanely good, I still see champions everywhere and I think it's purely a combination of a love for hack and slash playstyle and Gimli being funny in the movies.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

extra stout posted:

Champions do some of the best damage in the game but have been neglected by the devs for years at a time, so we're pretty much always reduced to a single strategy, build, super armor and weapons, and our 'group value' only includes a few debuffs, good interrupts, I was just making a joke because my main is a champion and it's annoying how many classes can do 90 percent of my damage and then also have the choice of switching traits and doing something else effectively.

Hunters and Captains both can do pretty good damage despite also having a loving collection of cool useful things people want one of them in a group for, ports, swiftly traveling around and buffing people etc. Guardians are arguably still the best tanks in game and if they switch to red and get a two handed axe they can do 90 percent as much damage as I do as well.

What I think is cool and SSG should give me some data on it: I see almost as many champions in the game as any other class despite this. Even when they took away shields from us, even when yellow line AOE was considered the only acceptable build, even with red RK damage being insanely good, I still see champions everywhere and I think it's purely a combination of a love for hack and slash playstyle and Gimli being funny in the movies.

By 90% as much damage, do you mean to a single target? I'm pretty sure no class in the game even comes close to approaching the damage that a champion can do to multiple targets.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

flowinprose posted:

By 90% as much damage, do you mean to a single target? I'm pretty sure no class in the game even comes close to approaching the damage that a champion can do to multiple targets.

Our aoe is of course very good but I refuse to abandon my two handed axe so I've got less of that than the younger fellas, I do have the aoe legacies so I try to call it a hybrid build, but I still mostly aim to see a single huge number explode above an orc's head. I don't have any numbers to back it up: But I've seen red RKs and blue LMs who do pretty impressive aoe damage as well.

edit

Please don't acknowledge the strengths of my class what if SSG reads that and refuses to give me shields back or triple my damage as I fairly hope for

VV

Also we'll all be deleting our mains to make new High Elves this year anyway!

quote:

Can you give us some insight into your plans for 2017?

We will be releasing a new Producer’s Letter shortly that will outline our plans for 2017, but we intend to release Update 20, then focus on our 10th Anniversary, prior to releasing the Mordor expansion for Update 21. We are aiming to have a new race, the High Elf, released with Update 21. Update 22 will round out the year, but at this point, we’ll keep its contents under wraps. We also want to update our character avatars to make them even better looking.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 26, 2017

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

Our aoe is of course very good but I refuse to abandon my two handed axe so I've got less of that than the younger fellas, I do have the aoe legacies so I try to call it a hybrid build, but I still mostly aim to see a single huge number explode above an orc's head. I don't have any numbers to back it up: But I've seen red RKs and blue LMs who do pretty impressive aoe damage as well.

Yeah but in mind that you as so much breathe and those two classes die. Champions are pretty drat tanky in their own right.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I haven't touched Warden since before the combat revamp in Helm's Deep but IIRC around the 40s or so you could start rounding up large groups of enemies and kill them through AOE. Not sure how viable that is any more though.

That's definitely still the case. Almost feels like a waste of time to be fighting only one enemy at a time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Bramble posted:

That's definitely still the case. Almost feels like a waste of time to be fighting only one enemy at a time.

Why I hated Hunter.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah but in mind that you as so much breathe and those two classes die. Champions are pretty drat tanky in their own right.

I would also like my morale doubled, thanks.

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-producers-letter-2017-plans-new-expansion-and-10th-anniversary

The brief producer's letter is out, Mordor was vaguely hinted to be Q2-Q4 with all of us assuming that meant Christmas, looks like they're actually aiming for late summer though. Nothing too new revealed. We will soon not just be in Dagorlad but two other regions outside of and leading up to the gates will be included in update 20, still coming in February I believe. I'm curious what the 3 or 6 man will be, or if The Battle of The Black Gate would even be an epic battle. Maybe just an instance in the epic quest and the new content will be "side stuff", either way I'm happy. Be level 105 and caught up on the main story or be behind, turds.

~

More new stuff, probably not advertised yet but the site is up.
http://lotro.com/en/vipgift

Anyone who buys VIP as of February 6th til March 13th or 15th (mistake on page) will receive a Steed of the Eldar on every char they ever make, war and regular. Just buy VIP and log in at least once in that time frame. Do they reward the 500 points for VIP at the end each month or quickly? Might do this so I've got enough points for Update 20.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 28, 2017

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

https://www.lotro.com/en/vipgift

quote:

Coming February 6th to all active VIPs!

As a thank you from Standing Stone Games, starting February 6th, active VIPs can receive a special gift! Simply sign in and log into a character on your VIP account before March 13th to get an Account-wide Steed of the Eldar for all your characters, forever! Not a VIP yet? Sign up between February 6th and March 13th and you are eligible for the gift too!

• Limited edition Premium Account-Wide Mount
• Gives +68% speed and 250 morale!
• Includes a War-steed Caparison, Saddle, and Halter!
• A mount for all your characters now, and all future ones too!

Yes, warsteeds are faster than a +68% regular mount, but sometimes you don't wanna ride a warsteed for regular stuff. And outside of a handful of festivals, +68% mounts are a hassle to earn, so if you're VIP don't forget to log in during the gift period!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Smart move to get a bunch of non-VIPs to spend a few dollars to go VIP during the period as well. I'm sure SSG is going to do some pretty heavy review of VIP activity before/after this announcement as well as during the event period to get a feel for the viability in having it be something they'd do on a regular basis.

It'll be incredibly useful for anyone who has account-wide riding skill too since it'll mean having the mount available at level 5 or so, I think?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Hell, it's going to get $15 out of me and I play basically a few hours every couple days.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Also, for anyone who's been kind of hemming or hawing about spending the money, VIP unlocks a number of things that persist even after the VIP expires, and if you haven't already bought something with real money, going VIP permanently marks your account "premium" which I think protects it from being deleted through inactivity or something? A month of VIP is definitely one of those things that I would rank very highly on the LOTRO value-for-money scale.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I really want to get into this game but the old style of questing and tab target combat just doesn't do it for me anymore. Honestly I think I've just done the 1-50 stuff so much I'm just over it but can't justify boosting a character. I love the environments and the community though. Is there a goon guild? I might try to play in that case.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

desudrive posted:

I really want to get into this game but the old style of questing and tab target combat just doesn't do it for me anymore. Honestly I think I've just done the 1-50 stuff so much I'm just over it but can't justify boosting a character. I love the environments and the community though. Is there a goon guild? I might try to play in that case.

There is, though I doubt it's any more active than when I was playing regularly (I swear I'll be back come the summer, probably). I suggest you continue through to Moria, it's arguably the best laid out region in the game. Lothlorian and Mirkwood after that are pretty good too. Not gonna sugar coat it though Rohan, for which you're in for a good 20 levels is pretty terrible. Repetitive and dull, I have no interest in ever doing Rohan again. The landscape is ok, but you can only have so many plains and mistrustful Rohirrim before it grows old. Though if you do manage to get through it Gondor is waiting for you and what I saw, up through Minas Tirith, is everything that Rohan wasn't.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I saw some videos of Moria and it looks awesome. Maybe I'll just have to pick up my 46 Captain and slog my way there. I'm definitely interest in their after-Mordor plans.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You can go right in at level 46. You'll do fine.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I didn't really hate Rohan. It went by quick and a lot of the grind has been sanded off. Gondor is a ton better though.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I would like some Beoring advice. Is going yellow line still the way to go for solo builds? I've been doing that, but noticed on the LOTRO trait tree planner site that by far the most popular build is a red/blue hybrid. Don't know if there's a good reason for that, or if the class has been tweaked significantly since the last time I played with it.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Conskill posted:

I would like some Beoring advice. Is going yellow line still the way to go for solo builds? I've been doing that, but noticed on the LOTRO trait tree planner site that by far the most popular build is a red/blue hybrid. Don't know if there's a good reason for that, or if the class has been tweaked significantly since the last time I played with it.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?795-Beornings

There's the official beorning subforum which includes some crazy people from Arkenstone I logged in to chat with who tank the current raid: Throne of the Dread Teror on bears:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649414-Waste-Beorning-Tank-Build-2-0-Lvl-105

I think their screenshots of their gear should be about halfway down. This post was kind of more for everyone to gawk at as you need like 20,000 gold worth of essence gear to properly do it.

Your answer finally: Yes, their healing and ability to survive are still their best features, so yellow is most popular. If you browse over the traits in red and blue you'll probably see a few very much worth putting one point into. The most common hybrid is 75% yellow 25% red. Some blue ones worth looking at (going off the top of my head) is one point in the vitality one gives you like 80 vitality (x5 for beornings=400 more morale too), but a second point only scales it to 92 vit or something, so only one point max for most builds. Red has a few I use but would have to read again in game, I think anything related to Hearten is worth using no matter what build you go. There is a +Hearten legacy for legendary items, and a +Overall healing as well so both will make your instant little heal even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Double posting but some cool news today: A patch and a reward

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?651101-Update-19-3-Release-Notes

https://www.lotro.com/en/vipgift