Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

homullus posted:

If you're wondering about the usage of Latin "Papa" for the Pope, don't just Google "Latin Papa." And while are you are not Googling that, make a special point of not Googling it at work.

Google customizes results based on previous search history, if you have cookies enabled...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Google customizes results based on previous search history, if you have cookies enabled...

I had a leaky pump that needed repairing, but "busted O-ring" was apparently not the right term to search.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I googled "roman emperor baby dick nibbles" and do NOT look that up at work

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I googled "roman emperor baby dick nibbles" and do NOT look that up at work

It just brings up a photo of Suetonius leaning over the fence while his neighbor hangs out the laundry, going,"Girrrrl you would not believe what I just heard about the Emperor...."

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I googled "lives of famous whores full movie" and boy was I disappointed

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Disciple: Hey, God, I have a question.
Christ: No, no, call me Josh. "God" is my father.

I think you'll find they're actually the same person, you heretic.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They're different persons, but they have the same hypostasis. Stulte.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

NON de Vitae Meretrices Illustris 30 Parodia

Excuse the pig latin, I couldn't find the actual title in latin by googling. Also I like that the romans had different terms for registered and non-registered prostitutes.

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 27, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
A cool report out of an archeological journal (reported by Ars) reports new evidence showing that the Sun Temple in New Mexico used by Pueblo peoples a thousand years ago has signs of being designed with advanced geometric principles, the earliest known evidence of such in the Americas.

Specifically, the temple was designed using a measurement increment of about 30cm, and using this, the structures were placed within a one percent margin of error. Golden rectangles, squares, 45◦ triangles, Pythagorean 3:4:5 triangles, and equilateral triangles are all present in the design of the temple. Cool stuff froman often neglected part of ancient history.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

More evidence of contact with the Greeks.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

euphronius posted:

More evidence of contact with the Greeks.

You mean Atlanteans. :smuggo:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I dunno, i thought your mom did a good job in it

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

I think you'll find they're actually the same person, you heretic.

Bullshit. He clearly had a divine and a human nature which are separate. Learn the facts.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grevling posted:

Bullshit. He clearly had a divine and a human nature which are separate. Learn the facts.

Even Monophysites accept Nicaea

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Any recommendations for audiobooks on 17th - 18th century political history?

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Man, did it take forever to catch up with the thread...

Just how 'barbaric' were the barbarians - their lands and states? The most common word, tribes, invokes an image of a bunch of stick huts in the middle of a forest, filled with large dudes, so hairy that you cant tell where their beards end and their uncured furs begin, but even with my miniscule knowledge I know that's not (entirelly) it. Do we have any knowledge on how Gaoul/ Gothic/ Frankish society was organized?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RedSnapper posted:

Man, did it take forever to catch up with the thread...

Just how 'barbaric' were the barbarians - their lands and states? The most common word, tribes, invokes an image of a bunch of stick huts in the middle of a forest, filled with large dudes, so hairy that you cant tell where their beards end and their uncured furs begin, but even with my miniscule knowledge I know that's not (entirelly) it. Do we have any knowledge on how Gaoul/ Gothic/ Frankish society was organized?

It's extremely difficult to say, since when we speak of barbarians we are not speaking of people who all lived in one time, or one place, or spoke one language, or indeed necessarily shared religions, cultures, ancestry, or anything else besides not being Roman. I'll give it a shot though. A very cool book to read on this subject if you can find a copy is Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West by Guy Halsall, but I'll try to give short answers.

Gallic: probably we know the most about these, but only from what Caesar recorded, and he was not exactly an unbiased source -- that said, he's what we've got. He says Gallic society was divided into confederations of what had at one point been clan groups -- he refers to the confederations as "tribes", but it's important to remember that the Romans themselves were divided into tribes as a form of political and administrative organization (albeit not literally physically divided by territory) before you go thinking of any unwashed men in fur coats. Each of these groups claimed some amount of land centered around an oppidum. This would be a walled, defensible site (usually on a hilltop) where trade was conducted, political decisions were made, and the tribe could retreat in time of war. Most seem to have been permanently inhabited as well, making them more like permanent fortified towns than just fortifications. He says that there was a professional class called druids responsible for organizing religious and legal ritual who were exempted from military service. This was the province of a nobility who were politically organized into senates, dominated other free men in what might be termed patron-client relationships, and held what might be called civil magistracies, chief among them the role of vergobret. This was an annual position that entailed defending the tribal land, which the vergobret was not permitted to leave; within the land they had quite a lot of power during their term of office, but not to an arbitrary extent, being forbidden from elevating their close family members to magistracies for example. If this sounds somewhat similar to Republican Rome itself, it's worth remembering that Caesar's source for this is the political dealings he had with his allies the Aedui, who had been allies of Rome for a while and were surely politically influenced by Rome. For all that though, this office of vergobret seems to have been common-ish in some parts of Gaul, even in the early days of the Roman province. Among the Belgae in the north, kingships seem to have been more common before Caesar's campaigns. But again, it's worth remembering that Caesar was operating under the point of view that the closer you were to Rome, the more civilized you no doubt were, and if you were away in the north or on the dark side of the Rhine, you were probably a smelly unshaven axe-murderer slaving away under a tyrant.

Gothic: very little until they crossed into Roman territory. When the Tervingi and the Greuthungi showed up on the Danube in 376, each was a large migrant group led by a pair of leaders -- chiefs or kings, it's hard to say. A couple of years before, the Tervingi had been led by a king named Athanaric, who fell foul of the Romans -- some later sources allege over the question of whether Goths could be Christians or not -- and was deposed. A generation before that, apparently all the Gothic peoples had been united under the rule of one king, Ermanaric, though there's more than likely legend at work there. After the Gothic wars and the settlement of the Goths in the empire, Goths were settled on Roman lands which they farmed and raised troops from in exchange for freedom from Roman law. They seem to have maintained political organization under their kings as well. They clearly didn't have a developed or even rudimentary urban culture when the Romans let them in in 376, but that's because they were refugees fleeing their lands -- it seems like before they moved towards the empire they were more probably pastoralists than a settled agricultural society with a lot of food surplus, but it's hard to say for sure. Anyway, while Romans continued to piss and moan about them being barbarians, it didn't stop some Gothic leaders from reaching important positions in the Roman military and government. Halsall suggests that many of the settled Goths initially considered themselves to be proper Romans and that they only chose to forsake Roman identity and set themselves apart from it as western Roman government authority disintegrated in the mid-5th century. Again, the impression from the sources is that these weren't like dim-witted cavemen. Even if Roman elites complained about their barbarousness, it's entirely possible that the wider Roman society -- particularly the military -- was culturally meeting the Goths halfway.

Frankish: we have little about Franks from Roman sources, because they frankly weren't very prominent until after Roman authority collapsed in Gaul. They were a number of Germanic groups settled by the Romans in the Low Countries as federates, in the aftermath of the fall of the empire they consolidated under a united kingship, conquered a lot of Gaul and the rest is history. What they were like before the Romans settled them, we have no clue from the sources and I'm not familiar enough with archaeological evidence from this region to say if there's any evidence there.

tl;dr the image of scruffy rear end beardies in the woods scratching themselves and wiping it on their furs is probably inaccurate, but a lot of Romans thought that way so it's understandable that we have this image. Some barbarians were more like Romans than one might expect, and in the end some Romans were more like barbarians than they might have expected. Read Halsall's book, it's really interesting.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

skasion posted:

tl;dr the image of scruffy rear end beardies in the woods scratching themselves and wiping it on their furs is probably inaccurate, but a lot of Romans thought that way so it's understandable that we have this image.

I think the Romans might have had less caricatural views (at least those who left written testimonies behind...) and that it got inflated over time after the Middle Ages. I especially blame the Renaissance Roman fanboys.

Also, the idea of "scruffy rear end beardies in the woods" (love that phrasing) implies they were isolated from the outside world. It's linked to the idea that Gauls was poor and primitive but... The thing is, there was plenty of trading going around in that part of the world too. By the times the Romans started taking over parts of Gauls, the locals would have been trading with Greeks for something like 5 centuries (going by when Massilia was founded, although obviously it'd depend on the tribe). Carthaginians too, before the Romans wrecked them (edit: the Carthaginians went all the way to Britain for tin). And that means some cultural exchange, too. Plus Celts had a tendency to migrate and/or go off to fight abroad as mercenaries (like for Carthage).

Kassad fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 4, 2017

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is there much known about the Germanic tribes that didn't leave Germany? That's always been something that I've wondered about, and it seems like they were a big influence on the way things happened after Charlemagne came and went.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kassad posted:

I think the Romans might have had less caricatural views (at least those who left written testimonies behind...) and that it got inflated over time after the Middle Ages. I especially blame the Renaissance Roman fanboys.

Also, the idea of "scruffy rear end beardies in the woods" (love that phrasing) implies they were isolated from the outside world. It's linked to the idea that Gauls was poor and primitive but... The thing is, there was plenty of trading going around in that part of the world too. By the times the Romans started taking over parts of Gauls, the locals would have been trading with Greeks for something like 5 centuries (going by when Massilia was founded, although obviously it'd depend on the tribe). Carthaginians too, before the Romans wrecked them (edit: the Carthaginians went all the way to Britain for tin). And that means some cultural exchange, too. Plus Celts had a tendency to migrate and/or go off to fight abroad as mercenaries (like for Carthage).

Some Romans were definitely more nuanced than others in their opinions on barbarians, but as a whole antique writers seem to have pretty much thought of them as savages - noble savages, when it suited them, but savages nonetheless. Of course the tale grew in the telling, but it's not hard to see where the images of barbarians as fur-clad subhumans squatting around the campfire plotting human sacrifice came from when you read poo poo like Ammianus Marcellinus' description of the Huns.

While it's true that Gaul was neither poor nor especially primitive (and Caesar would not have wasted his time subduing it unless he figured it was going to make him good money), it's very clear from archaeological record that there were people out there beyond the Roman frontier who were both. What's now Germany, particularly east of the Elbe, had very little permanent political structure or development of any kind as far as we can tell -- while closer to the Roman frontier there were richer, more settled groups, the more distant cultures didn't have oppida, and may not even have had towns or villages at all. Caesar claims the Germans had no or very little agriculture, went mostly unclothed, were pastoral nomads who had no organized religion or fixed leaders but were animists led by chieftains. Mind you this is right before the infamous passage where he claims elk sleep standing up and people hunt them by cutting down the trees they're leaning against to sleep, so he might be bullshitting (even Julius Caesar can't convince me that anyone who habitually lived through a German winter went mostly naked), but his basic point -- that whereas Gaul proper was rich, populous, and settled, Germania was none of the above -- is as far as we know correct.

Come to think of it, by the time the Romans started taking over parts of Gaul, the locals had been trading with them for quite a while too. The Romans did an extremely rich trade of wine for slaves with the Gauls -- I think Caesar makes a comment to the effect that the fiercer, more barbarous Belgae were so because they were further from the wine markets (and thus freed from this civilized habit). And hiring barbarians to fight for you was a long-term motif in antiquity -- the Romans did it constantly themselves, both on the justification that savages were bolder and better individual fighters than civilized men even if, as a unit, civilized men were superior, and more cynically on the assumption that whereas Romans might always have their own loyalties and opinions, a bunch of hired Germans would be loyal to you exclusively as long as you paid them.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

skasion posted:

Come to think of it, by the time the Romans started taking over parts of Gaul, the locals had been trading with them for quite a while too. The Romans did an extremely rich trade of wine for slaves with the Gauls -- I think Caesar makes a comment to the effect that the fiercer, more barbarous Belgae were so because they were further from the wine markets (and thus freed from this civilized habit).

It's actually as early as the fourth sentence, a nice little bit of rhetorical trickery:

quote:

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur. Hi omnes lingua, institutis, legibus inter se differunt. Gallos ab Aquitanis Garumna flumen, a Belgis Matrona et Sequana dividit. Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae, propterea quod a cultu atque humanitate provinciae longissime absunt, minimeque ad eos mercatores saepe commeant atque ea quae ad effeminandos animos pertinent important, proximique sunt Germanis, qui trans Rhenum incolunt, quibuscum continenter bellum gerunt.

quote:

All Gaul is divided into three parts, one of which the Belgae inhabit, the Aquitani another, those who in their own language are called Celts, in our language Gauls, the third. All these differ from each other in language, customs and laws. The river Garonne separates the Gauls from the Aquitani; the Marne and the Seine separate them from the Belgae. Of all these, the Belgae are the bravest, because they are furthest from the civilization and refinement of the Province, and merchants least frequently resort to them, and import those things which tend to effeminate the mind; and they are the nearest to the Germans, who dwell beyond the Rhine, with whom they are continually waging war.

The Belgae are the fiercest because they are furthest from these strength-sapping luxuries...luxuries which, for the most part, come from Rome. But Rome isn't affected by these luxuries, right? If civilization corrupted absolutely, Rome would never win a battle. So the Romans, by being able to beat the Gauls, are practically superhuman in their moral fiber.

There is of course the longstanding unease about luxury in Rome itself, with sumptuary laws coming and going over the centuries, but Caesar takes the rhetorical stance that true Romans can rise above it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any of you champions have any reading material about pre roman celts/picts?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
What if Julius Caesar hadn't been assassinated? Is it better that Octavian / Augustus became Emperor when he did?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bean_shadow posted:

What if Julius Caesar hadn't been assassinated? Is it better that Octavian / Augustus became Emperor when he did?

His assassination and civil war that followed basically liquidated the Roman aristocracy which imho was good for everyone .

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bean_shadow posted:

Nobody knows whether Caesar would have gone full on emperor/imperator or left the trappings of the republic prominently intact. Much of the framework for Augustus' imperial rule was there but there was still plenty of room to go between the consulship/dictatorship of JC and the principate, let alone the empire as it became with Augustus.

On the other hand the guy was a ruthless power hound.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I've always felt that Caesar was going to end up pulling a Sulla and retiring after fixing the republic (but much more radically than Sulla did, of course), but it's impossible to know. On one hand, there's no real evidence that the fear that Caesar wanted to be a king/emperor was anything more than a paranoid fantasy cooked up by the optimates - who were going to end up being the ones eating the price of JC's intended reforms, you see. Why would you do a bunch of constitutional reforms if you didn't really intend for the system to be functional at some point? On the other, the symbols used by his administration get more gaudy, regal, and self-absorbed over time, and JC was always a guy to believe that he was the only one who really knew what he was doing, so maybe he never steps down after all.

Whatever the case, people sometimes like to call Caesar the real first emperor but that's silly. The establishment of the principate is a much more radical alteration of Roman society than Caesar seems to have intended, while also being much subtler. The empire would probably have been quite different if Caesar had gone full emperor compared to how it turned out as a creation of Augustus. Better or worse? Who knows.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jazerus posted:

I've always felt that Caesar was going to end up pulling a Sulla and retiring after fixing the republic (but much more radically than Sulla did, of course), but it's impossible to know. On one hand, there's no real evidence that the fear that Caesar wanted to be a king/emperor was anything more than a paranoid fantasy cooked up by the optimates - who were going to end up being the ones eating the price of JC's intended reforms, you see. Why would you do a bunch of constitutional reforms if you didn't really intend for the system to be functional at some point? On the other, the symbols used by his administration get more gaudy, regal, and self-absorbed over time, and JC was always a guy to believe that he was the only one who really knew what he was doing, so maybe he never steps down after all.

Whatever the case, people sometimes like to call Caesar the real first emperor but that's silly. The establishment of the principate is a much more radical alteration of Roman society than Caesar seems to have intended, while also being much subtler. The empire would probably have been quite different if Caesar had gone full emperor compared to how it turned out as a creation of Augustus. Better or worse? Who knows.

Caesar called Sulla a political illiterate for resigning the dictatorship. I don't think he had any plans to willingly diminish his power.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

skasion posted:

Caesar called Sulla a political illiterate for resigning the dictatorship. I don't think he had any plans to willingly diminish his power.

I mean you can exist as dictator within the confines of the republican system, but I would say the assumption would be that you'd resign or at least divest yourself of the powers once the poo poo was no longer spraying into the fan.

A systemic problem related to this was the lack of an impeachment process. You were ironclad inviolable (barring, y'know, :ese:) until you left office but you could be held liable afterward for actions you took during. So retaining power until death became a solid way of evading any kind of culpability for any crimes you commit, but also a way of avoiding the frivolous cases brought by your opponents.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The vast majority of our sources from the period are basically Caesarean propaganda, right? Both Caesar himself and Augustus had a huge vested interest in portraying Caesar as the best guy ever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The vast majority of our sources from the period are basically Caesarean propaganda, right? Both Caesar himself and Augustus had a huge vested interest in portraying Caesar as the best guy ever.

Not really. It's a mistake to think of Roman republican sources as being state or government propaganda, even the most adulatory recorders are a long way from the spin-doctor bullshit of late imperial panegyrists. Augustus didn't suppress anti-Caesarean writers (Livy apparently favored Pompey though we don't have enough of his history to be sure) or even writers overtly opposed to his own rule (Asinius Pollio for example), though subsequent emperors were a apparently less open-minded about it. Cicero is a major source for the period and certainly did not write Caesarean propaganda!

FAUXTON posted:

I mean you can exist as dictator within the confines of the republican system, but I would say the assumption would be that you'd resign or at least divest yourself of the powers once the poo poo was no longer spraying into the fan.

A systemic problem related to this was the lack of an impeachment process. You were ironclad inviolable (barring, y'know, :ese:) until you left office but you could be held liable afterward for actions you took during. So retaining power until death became a solid way of evading any kind of culpability for any crimes you commit, but also a way of avoiding the frivolous cases brought by your opponents.

Caesar was dictator in perpetuity and since, as you point out, he would have been legally vulnerable only once he left office, I can't imagine why he would ever have stepped down from the dictatorship.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

skasion posted:

Caesar was dictator in perpetuity and since, as you point out, he would have been legally vulnerable only once he left office, I can't imagine why he would ever have stepped down from the dictatorship.

Right, there's this noble assumption of ethics underpinning the whole of the republican system which completely collapses when you have people who have little or no concern for ethical behavior. Sure you can share power fairly and act within the law and step down from your position of absolute power after a crisis but why do that when you can just as easily twist an incredibly powerful state apparatus to suit your personal desires, stay in an ever-strengthening position of power, and (assuming the knives stay home) die peacefully in office? Sure it's against the law to order extrajudicial killing of your opponents but lol you can't be touched until you leave office so why even hesitate. Everyone was waiting for their opportunity to take a poke at him and what probably set it all in motion was a belief that they'd never get it unless they murdered him. So, of course, they did.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

cheetah7071 posted:

That's the feeling I get from reading about people like Atia or Octavia. Not much is known except they were the model Roman women. Perfect in every way. Yeah, Livia and Julia (Augustus's daughter) are colorful but I'd like to know more about the others.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

bean_shadow posted:

That's the feeling I get from reading about people like Atia or Octavia. Not much is known except they were the model Roman women. Perfect in every way. Yeah, Livia and Julia (Augustus's daughter) are colorful but I'd like to know more about the others.

Virtue in Roman women consisted in large part in keeping your head down and not inviting comment from historians and other passers of judgment. Just about every woman from the ancient world we do know more than a few things about, it's because they famously slept around or did dumb poo poo, or both at the same time. Livia is the only real exception because she was so important for so long. Even then she got an undeservedly nefarious reputation out of it despite pretty much living as blamelessly as any politician could ask of his wife.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

FAUXTON posted:

Right, there's this noble assumption of ethics underpinning the whole of the republican system which completely collapses when you have people who have little or no concern for ethical behavior.

This is a fairly generous description of a totally aristocratic system

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Speaking of the HBO Rome series. Is the depiction of urban life for the masses accurate? It looks utterly dire and devoid of any kind of rule of law.
Also would it be safe to assume that Aetia's role in the series is to represent Rome itself?- they're both pragmatic, lucky, ruthless and have a knack for winning the devotion of powerful men...
(Long-time lurker. Thanks posters one and all, for this most excellent thread!)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ras Het posted:

This is a fairly generous description of a totally aristocratic system

:v: you might say optimal system, as it were.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FAUXTON posted:

:v: you might say optimal system, as it were.

:golfclap:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

FAUXTON posted:

Right, there's this noble assumption of ethics underpinning the whole of the republican system which completely collapses when you have people who have little or no concern for ethical behavior. Sure you can share power fairly and act within the law and step down from your position of absolute power after a crisis but why do that when you can just as easily twist an incredibly powerful state apparatus to suit your personal desires, stay in an ever-strengthening position of power, and (assuming the knives stay home) die peacefully in office? Sure it's against the law to order extrajudicial killing of your opponents but lol you can't be touched until you leave office so why even hesitate. Everyone was waiting for their opportunity to take a poke at him and what probably set it all in motion was a belief that they'd never get it unless they murdered him. So, of course, they did.

jeez this feels weird to read in america, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That paradigm really became perverted when the legions became loyal to the general (consul) and not the state . Which has maybe not happened in the USA . Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

euphronius posted:

That paradigm really became perverted when the legions became loyal to the general (consul) and not the state . Which has maybe not happened in the USA . Maybe.

I read in a lot of places that Mattis holds incredible loyalty from the USMC. Granted that probably means the three branches that aren't cannon fodder will take any reason to ignore him but that's that.