Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IMB posted:

Aren't there lots of dudes who get released, then get picked up by another team who only has to pay them the minimum, while their former team pays the remainder of their full contract?

Or even trades, would that count? I mean, the Yankees are paying part of McCann's salary for the rest of his contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

CubsWoo posted:

Edwin Jackson got 4/50MM from the Cubs to put up a total of -4 WAR across four teams for the duration of that contract.

He's off the books for good now! :toot:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs paid ejax in 2016 for exactly 1 win, according to Saber-Metrics

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Royals signed Jason Hammel for 2/$16m with a mutual option for a 3rd season.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Pending the results of a physical :ohdear:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Clearly less than he wanted/expected but he gets to stick with Soler and if he's not actually broken that's a reasonable deal for a guy who will probably give you 120+ innings of #4/#5 starter level pitching. It was getting late enough that I actually expected Hammel to end up somewhere on a minor league deal and ST invite.

Now I'm wondering why Travis Wood isn't signed unless he's digging in and wanting a chance to start again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Now I'm wondering why Travis Wood isn't signed unless he's digging in and wanting a chance to start again.

He's reportedly gotten interest from a few teams for a bullpen/swingman role, but rumor is he wants a starting gig.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sydin posted:

He's reportedly gotten interest from a few teams for a bullpen/swingman role, but rumor is he wants a starting gig.

Someone should sign him as an outfielder.

N: Jung Ho Kang entering alcohol treatment program after third DUI since 2009

V: Christ, man, you were supposed to be cool once upon a time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Explosionface posted:

Didn't he have a rape charge last year too?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Didn't he have a rape charge last year too?

Or sexual assault, yes. I don't know if he was ever formally charged or if the whole thing just fizzled. Last I knew, it was still being investigated, but that was also back when we still had MLB games happening.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AdamRubinESPN/status/828626812091576320

that's not good for mets reporting

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Explosionface posted:

We've all thought this type of thing before but how do professional athletes keep getting DUIs? Dude you've got enough money for a cab and a cab back to your car in the morning. Hell the team itself would probably be perfectly happy to set up some sort of ride for you at any time.

Good, I guess. They needed to get someone else in, as long as his arm doesn't fall off it seems fine.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

We've all thought this type of thing before but how do professional athletes keep getting DUIs? Dude you've got enough money for a cab and a cab back to your car in the morning. Hell the team itself would probably be perfectly happy to set up some sort of ride for you at any time.

What good is a $200k sports car if you can't drive it drunk?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

What good is a $200k sports car if you can't drive it drunk?

They should be required to buy only poo poo like the FXX where you have to have Ferrari bring it to the track for you and they won't let you have it on the road.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
welp got our tickets for the year. 800 bucks for the year, 20 games, not bad at all. cmon spring training go jays

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Grittybeard posted:

Because addicts do not make rational decisions while they are using. I hope he manages to get sober and stay that way. This does not excuse any of his past behavior, but "Wow, why do people with addictions do dumb things?" is not exactly the question to ask.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Maybe he gets nervous driving his sport car, so he just drinks while driving it to loosen up.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Grittybeard posted:

There was a guy who owned a towing company in Highwood, IL that basically made a living off of Scottie Pippen in the '90s. Pippen would drive his Lamborghini to a bar, then rather than driving drunk, he'd call the owner of the company who'd personally come over at any hour and tow Scottie and his car back home.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Grittybeard posted:

I've heard rumors that the Cardinals effectively took away Freese's driving privileges at one point because of issues like this. If only they'd done the same with Taveras.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I drive better when I'm drunk

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My understanding is that these leagues do have a program that provides free transportation for players that are not able to drive, but there is a stigma against it because it's provided by the league and players are concerned that just by using it teams are going to use that information against them in the future or something. I remember hearing that about the NFL anyway.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The other question I have is how do the teams feel about their players drinking this much? Certainly drinking alcohol to the point that you can't drive your car on a regular basis has deleterious effects on your body that would show on the field.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Baseball has a long storied tradition of alcohol/drug abuse that I'm sure still persists to a lesser degree today. I imagine the owners can't really tell players to stop drinking completely or assign handler because that would be extremely unpopular among the players. It's probably a "don't let me hear about it and don't show up drunk" situation.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Pro sports Baseball has a long storied tradition of alcohol/drug abuse that I'm sure still persists to a lesser degree today. I imagine the owners can't really tell players to stop drinking completely or assign handler because that would be extremely unpopular among the players. It's probably a "don't let me hear about it and don't show up drunk" situation.

Hockey might be the worst....they think a quarter of the league today has at the least a drinking problem if not being outright alcoholics; 30 years ago it was probably 75%. Baseball at least makes them wait until they're 18 to start abusing.

In related news it looks like they're thinking about moving bottom of the strike zone to above the knee? That seems like a pretty significant change to the game.....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
When I was a kid I used to wonder how a player could go from averaging a PPG in hockey to being a bubble guy, I wonder how many of those guys had coke or drinking problems

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

In related news it looks like they're thinking about moving bottom of the strike zone to above the knee? That seems like a pretty significant change to the game.....
The effective bottom of the zone has migrated downward over the past 5+ years, in part because of the feedback umpires get from PitchFX. There is a good argument for this contributing to the drop in offense over the same period.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Baseball was founded on guys playing the game in the park with booze nearby, so I highly doubt that will ever change

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bawfuls posted:

The effective bottom of the zone has migrated downward over the past 5+ years, in part because of the feedback umpires get from PitchFX. There is a good argument for this contributing to the drop in offense over the same period.

Plus bad calls only exacerbate the problem-- The zone's already huge, so one or two egregious calls will have batters chasing poo poo that's nowhere close for the rest of the game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The other question I have is how do the teams feel about their players drinking this much? Certainly drinking alcohol to the point that you can't drive your car on a regular basis has deleterious effects on your body that would show on the field.

The legal limit is pretty low in terms of serious bodily harm from your BAC. I mean, if it does become an issue on the field is when you see teams really step in, be that via suspensions for DUIs or whatnot or actual in-game performance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They're also again bringing up automatic IBB's because MLB hates fun and is on a crusade to remove as much of it as possible from the game.

e. Also the Cubs keep adding to their conga line of failed pitching prospects:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/828063472336375809

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's been a lot of functioning alcoholics in baseball. It's kind of intertwined with the sport:

Babe Ruth
Doc Gooden
Darryl Strawberry
Bret Boone
CC Sabathia

Oh, who knows if Josh Hamilton was sober when he killed that guy...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Listing players with drinking problemsachievements and not including Wade Boggs smh

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Soul Glo posted:

Listing players with drinking problemsachievements and not including Wade Boggs smh

Rest in Peace, Wade Boggs :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

seiferguy posted:

There's been a lot of functioning alcoholics in baseball. It's kind of intertwined with the sport:

Babe Ruth
Doc Gooden
Darryl Strawberry
Bret Boone
CC Sabathia

Oh, who knows if Josh Hamilton was sober when he killed that guy...

Mickey Mantle, too. Pretty sure more than one person has said the race between Mantle and Maris made Mickey from a guy who liked a drink now and then to a full blown drunk, mainly because of the pressure to be the one who broke the record. Plus, he personally liked Maris despite what the media claimed, and that probably didn't help, with the way they treated him.

Mickey Mantle posted:

A lot of people wrote that Roger (Maris) and I didn't like each other and that we didn't get along. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Mickey Mantle posted:

Roger Maris was as good a man and as good a ballplayer as there ever was

Mantle was a pretty straight shooter who let people know what he thought of them, so reconcile that with the narrative the media tried to create and you can see why it created stress. There are 5 Yankees I like without reservation: Sabathia, Mantle, Posada, Ruth and Paul O' Neill.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Billy Martin remains the gold standard for baseball drunks.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Spoeank posted:

Rest in Peace, Wade Boggs :(

He still has a lucrative Carpet World to fall back on.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Seems like every baseball memoir I've read talks about ballplayers barhopping all night and sleeping it off on the bus ride to the park.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There was a guy who owned a towing company in Highwood, IL that basically made a living off of Scottie Pippen in the '90s. Pippen would drive his Lamborghini to a bar, then rather than driving drunk, he'd call the owner of the company who'd personally come over at any hour and tow Scottie and his car back home.

I wonder if he got tipped at all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

They're also again bringing up automatic IBB's because MLB hates fun and is on a crusade to remove as much of it as possible from the game.

I know right? When people mention fun, watching a pitcher lob a ball four times to a catcher while everyone stands around hoping with baited breath we get to see a one in a thousand chance thing happen is the first thing that comes to my mind, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

I know right? When people mention fun, watching a pitcher lob a ball four times to a catcher while everyone stands around hoping with baited breath we get to see a one in a thousand chance thing happen is the first thing that comes to my mind, too.

It's a dumb change because it won't speed up the game appreciably, but it's also a dumb change to get worked up about because it seems like it hardly ever happens and like you said, it getting messed up happens even more rarely.

• Locked thread