Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Homura and Sickle posted:

I had no internet for the first month of this season and want to catch up. Aside from Little Witch Academia (which I love already) what shows are worth checking out now that they've had 4-5 episodes?

Urara Meirochou, ACCA, Demi-chan, Kobayashi's Maid Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't believe i'm watching a boy idol show this season, but marginal#4 seems to have the right idea by being more about goofy hijinks than drama

also this poo poo is cute
https://u.nya.is/nsbjau.mp4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

anime

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I had no internet for the first month of this season and want to catch up. Aside from Little Witch Academia (which I love already) what shows are worth checking out now that they've had 4-5 episodes?

Maid Dragon is the sweetest show airing.

Kuzu no Honkai is messed up, and like watching a car crash in slow motion, but with teenagers making bad decisions about their love lives.

(I'm planning to marathon ACCA when it's all out, as I haven't been in the mood for it lately.)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Can someone summarize why the dragon maid show is good? I might check it out but the PV I saw a couple months ago made me think it was gonna be extremely terrible so I find it surprising so many people are recommending it

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Can someone summarize why the dragon maid show is good? I might check it out but the PV I saw a couple months ago made me think it was gonna be extremely terrible so I find it surprising so many people are recommending it

In short, It's KyoAni being KyoAni. It's a cute and funny SoL anime with a lot of love/effort put into it.

Also dragons own and make pretty much everything worth watching, but that might just be me.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the O.L. rap PV didn't sell you? / ///

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a well-animated comedy about a dead-eyed programmer and her dragon girlfriend forming a pseudo-family with other dragons. since it's kyoani the animation is on-point and the color palette has a nice softness to it that complements the tone of the show. if you were worried about fanservice or something like that, it's got the occasional boob gag but that's really it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

A sweet cute story about a lesbian immigrant family feels like a welcome respite from all the current bullshit, basically.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the first ep is kinda weak and has some dumb boob gags but once they introduce the kid and it just becomes a family comedy it's really soothing and sweet, and there's an episode where the main character gets a five minute speech about how xenophobia and sexism are stupid. not even coaxed in the dragon stuff. she just says 'men, women, japanese, and foreigners are all the same.'

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, definitely don't give up on it if you don't like the first ep. Episode 2 introduces a character and a slight tone shift that really brings the whole thing together.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I agree, I didn't like the first ep but it's been pretty good since then!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Fafnir made a guest appearance in LWA this week.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maidragon is a show about protecting your daughter and her friend from dodge ball bullies and then playing a friendly game of dodge ball with your friends

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maidragon's op has been stuck in my head for like the past few weeks. So I guess that's another plus.

Also in general it's just extremely good and cute.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just watched the dodgeball ep and almost cried twice. sweetest dragon family ever

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i wasnt too big on ep 1 of dragon maid but ep2 and 3 sold it for me
its just a nicely animated and charming show
also the op and ed are great

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Last two episodes of Long Riders dropped

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

On top of the others people have mentioned, Youjo Senki has been a break-out hit this season. You need to wait until episode 2 for it to explain the plot, so give it a chance but so far it's been my favorite show of the season. Tanya is a great villain-protagonist and everything she does is interesting.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RubberLuffy posted:

The real problem is that it tricks you with great art and action, but its fanservice increases exponentially as it goes on, to a distressing and bad degree.

Most mangas have the opposite problem, they start out with a chapter or 3 of fanservice and then start pretending there's a story in there!!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH5VvkGVjjQ

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Nephthys posted:

On top of the others people have mentioned, Youjo Senki has been a break-out hit this season. You need to wait until episode 2 for it to explain the plot, so give it a chance but so far it's been my favorite show of the season. Tanya is a great villain-protagonist and everything she does is interesting.

Yeah I was kind of curious if that show would turn out good, or if it was too nazi

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yeah I was kind of curious if that show would turn out good, or if it was too nazi

The show is still in not-WW1 and Imperial Germany.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's not really nazi at all. the uniforms don't even match. i mean it's still european war fetishization which i can understand not digging, but people who have been calling it nazi glorification on twitter are weirdos.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I suppose it's possible Imperial Germany also decorated their HQ like this, but I think it's fair to suppose that they're trying to evoke Nazism here.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I suppose it's possible Imperial Germany also decorated their HQ like this, but I think it's fair to suppose that they're trying to evoke Nazism here.

Maybe they're just hanging their very long rugs out to dry.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Like has been said it's more WWI, everyone-dying-in-trenches, than Nazi stuff. Except with mages thrown in as a kind of substitute for planes.

It's stayed away from any hints at ideology behind the war so far. And killing isn't exactly glorified.

The show is worth it just for the MC sassing god straight to its face.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The German Empire was kinda nazi-ish

I think we might be on to something here, guys.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Former Holy Roman Empire evokes Roman themes in its official pageantry; film at 11.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dude if they wanted to evoke nazis they'd just be calling their leader the fuhrer and sieg heiling

japan is not a country where you need to hide your nazi fetish in your works. dies irae is getting an anime this year and half the cast looks like this:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This conversation is tedious, so let's have a new one.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/02/06/sakuga-news-anime-industry-rumors-from-2ch/

quote:

The poster here said Mahōjin Guru Guru would be getting an animated remake after more than 20 years. That’s a pretty bold statement, but guess what: it’s true, not just the existence of the series but its nature. I believe this series of leaks is very likely legit. The post before mentions a new Eureka Seven project in the works, which we had already heard about from a verified source in the industry. The last post claims that Dungeon Meshi is receiving an anime adaptation at Madhouse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

woah gently caress a dungeon meshi anime im on board

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'd hope the rumors for both Dungeon Meshi and Golden Kamuy are true, unless the staff really would cause production strain

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
let eureka seven stay dead

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

let eureka seven stay dead

the e7 stuff is already happening http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-17/eureka-seven-ao-anime-gets-new-final-episode-to-promote-game/.111139
just an extra episode of AO to promote a pachislot

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pachinkos: The Death of Excellent game franchises.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

that is all ao deserves

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am 1000% down with a Mahoujin Guru Guru reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

As a bonus, I never got around to reading it. So this would be even better.

• Locked thread