Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

Summoner and/or Linebacker as SRM fast delivery cars?

Or what other mechs are good SRM delivery vans that aren't the Spirit Bear, Atlas, or ugh, Cyclops? Getting into range in slower mechs can be a little painful sometimes, especially in solo queue.

Mediums and lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DancingShade posted:

Mediums and lights.

I've got the missile Hunchback IIC, the Griffins, the missile Jenner IIC, and I'm not sure any IS non-Huginn light mechs are particularly good at it, and even the Huginn is kinda eh. Any I'm missing?

For what it's worth, I'd be down for heavy fast missile mechs. Timber Wolf is a fun one, for example.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Artificer posted:

The Atlas Response Treatment = Shoot It Now treatment, right?

Yeah, pretty much any scary SRM bomber or small pulseboat causes understandable panic reflexes in people

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Artificer posted:

I've got the missile Hunchback IIC, the Griffins, the missile Jenner IIC, and I'm not sure any IS non-Huginn light mechs are particularly good at it, and even the Huginn is kinda eh. Any I'm missing?

For what it's worth, I'd be down for heavy fast missile mechs. Timber Wolf is a fun one, for example.

Hunchback 4SP, Oxide, im pretty sure theres a good shadow hawk variant that does it as well. The catapult can be pretty nippy and is now small enough that it doesnt draw all the fire in the world if you want some heavies.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Polyakov posted:

Hunchback 4SP, Oxide, im pretty sure theres a good shadow hawk variant that does it as well. The catapult can be pretty nippy and is now small enough that it doesnt draw all the fire in the world if you want some heavies.

SHD-2D2 is excellent

something like this works very well, especially in scouting

SHD-2D2

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Artificer posted:

Timber Wolf C, 5 SPL, 4 SRM 6s, 4 tons of ammo. Think that's too little ammo?

Have you considered a real mans TBR-C?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

TjyvTompa posted:

That looks brutal

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Artificer posted:

Or what other mechs are good SRM delivery vans that aren't the Spirit Bear, Atlas, or ugh, Cyclops? Getting into range in slower mechs can be a little painful sometimes, especially in solo queue.

HOLY poo poo KILL X

SEE Kodiak, Atlas, brawling timber, night Gyr (lol)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Thats always a pucker moment when you're tooling around in your locust ahead of everyone else and run around a building face to face with a huge brawler like that. If you're lucky you just run like hell saying "KILL A KILL A OH GOD HELP KILL A"

if you're not lucky he just looks at you and fires a weapon group and you disintegrate :(

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Artificer posted:

After the TBR build I posted the next mech is the Mad Dog. I asked this exact question last week and ended up with the MDD-B. It's really powerful but extremely fragile. I mastered it but went back to the TBR afterwards.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

TjyvTompa posted:

Alternatively Hello

The hunchback 4SP doesn't really boat missiles being that it only has two of them, but it is fast, has outrageous structure quirks that effectively make it a mini atlas and generous missile velocity, cooldown and spread quirks. It's a must have mech if you like brawling.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Artificer posted:

Summoner can work, like this. I would recommend the MDD, TBR, and CPLT over it for pure SRMs though. The SMN is the fastest mech for this, has missile spread quirks, the most armor, and pretty dang good jumpjets which should mean it's the best, but its missile hardpoints are spread out so much that you're always always going to get poo poo groupings on anything you fire at, which is a problem the other mechs don't have. If you ever wanna do SSRMs, this is absolutely your mech, way better than the Stormcrow at this specific loadout (and only this one!).

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
SHC-Pursuer

Fast, Jumpy,, Hidey, SRMs. It's the cousin of the Dadlas. Instead of being a terror on the battlefield, be the thing that goes bump in the night. Results may vary.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Best SRM bomber is probably the jenner IIC with a reduced engine and all SRM6s imo. If you're good at positioning lights and finding stragglers quickly it can one shot some mechs and two shot others. Even if you're not getting butt shots with it you can just dump your alphas into someone's front and make them invalid if they ever actually have to fight another mech.

Some people prefer SRM4s because it lets them get more ammo, more heatsinks, or a bigger engine, but 6s really are terrifying if you use them properly.

No real reason to buy the oxide with that thing existing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
SRM4s have higher DPS due to a lower refire rate, too. That said, I prefer sixers.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Thats always a pucker moment when you're tooling around in your locust ahead of everyone else and run around a building face to face with a huge brawler like that. If you're lucky you just run like hell saying "KILL A KILL A OH GOD HELP KILL A"

if you're not lucky he just looks at you and fires a weapon group and you disintegrate :(

One of the few times I've felt I had to type "Sorry mate" at my victim was when I caught a Locust carefully peeking at our lance from over a hill and one-shot it with a 3x ERPPC alpha.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

NihilCredo posted:

One of the few times I've felt I had to type "Sorry mate" at my victim was when I caught a Locust carefully peeking at our lance from over a hill and one-shot it with a 3x ERPPC alpha.

that's when I write "surprise fucker"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Yeah I can't hardly ever get mad, it was usually my dumbass fault in the first place. It just sucks when its 20 seconds into the match :(

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I feel like im shilling for a money mech here, but the bushwacker P1 can run quad 6s with a full deadside at 87kph or 6x4s at 111kph (might as well XL for the speed of you're gonna have srms in both torsos anyways) heaviest armored medium around too (4sp might be overall thicker but that's alot of structure, haven't run the numbers tho)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

I feel like im shilling for a money mech here, but the bushwacker P1 can run quad 6s with a full deadside at 87kph or 6x4s at 111kph (might as well XL for the speed of you're gonna have srms in both torsos anyways) heaviest armored medium around too (4sp might be overall thicker but that's alot of structure, haven't run the numbers tho)

The 4SP is significantly tougher than any 55t mech right now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

It is only 2 SRM hardpoints and lasers though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The Griffin 3M can run 4SRM4As in an asym build, has missile cooldown and velocity quirks, and is tougher than the Bushwacker, with more structure and good shield arms. The 2N has four missile slots and ECM and velocity quirks, but isn't nearly as tough and can't run asymmetric builds.

Shadow Hawks are about as tough as Bushwackers, have better hitboxes (but not quite as nice as the Griffin's), and all of the variants except the 5M have plenty of missile hardpoints. The big winners for SRM boating are the 5M (three asym missile slots with no space issues, cooldown and velocity quirks) and the 2D2 (two asym missile slots, plus one in CT and one in the head, plus both missile quirks).

The Centurion A has that huge tough shield arm, 3SRM6A, and missile speed/CD quirks. It isn't as tough as it was once upon a time, but it's still tough if you can take hits on that shield arm.

I don't really see any reason to spend real money on a medium SRM bomber, especially a boondoggle like the Bushwacker.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Artificer posted:

It is only 2 SRM hardpoints and lasers though.

The cool down makes it puke srm6 everywhere though. It's effectively more than just the hard points would imply

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
If you're going for pure SRM making GBS threads everywhere then the trebuchet fulfills that pretty well. I'd still say that the griffin is the best IS medium for SRMs, but the trebuchet trades in all the survivability of the griffin and smashes it into shooting even more missiles faster.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Cease to Hope posted:

The 4SP is significantly tougher than any 55t mech right now.

I dont remember the exact armor + structure total on the 4sp's torso but its 123 on the bushwacker. 82 armor 41 structure.

Also, as someone with 250k+ exp on each of the shadowhawks, I can unequivocally say their only advantage in srm bombing over a bsw is jumpjets.

I will agree the ecm on the griffin is nice, buts its definitely not thicker.

And as for everyone who's always claiming the bsw has garbage arm geom.. I'd say over 85% of fights I lose both arms before torso armor is ever breached. Unless I'm intentionally hiding one (like if it has my main cannon) and even then half the time.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 5, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rysithusiku posted:

It's really not a deadside if you're using an IS XL engine.

Or perhaps it is, just not the good kind.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Commoners posted:

If you're going for pure SRM making GBS threads everywhere then the trebuchet fulfills that pretty well. I'd still say that the griffin is the best IS medium for SRMs, but the trebuchet trades in all the survivability of the griffin and smashes it into shooting even more missiles faster.

I will chime in and say the trebuckets are significantly less worthless after the great arm arc unfuckening a few weeks back.

The Treb 7m can do stupid, stupid things with cooldown modules since its missile quirks are generic.

If you must lurm, its comparable to that one good tolerable lrm hunchie too.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DancingShade posted:

He is saying that the 87kph 4xSRM6A build has a deadside and a standard engine, the 111kph 6xSRM4A doesn't.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

He is saying that the 87kph 4xSRM6A build has a deadside and a standard engine, the 111kph 6xSRM4A doesn't.

Ah gotcha.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
I must say, the lance in formation challenge is probably one of the most irritating ones I have had to do while pugging.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

johntherussian posted:

I must say, the lance in formation challenge is probably one of the most irritating ones I have had to do while pugging.

I didn't bother with it at all and got it by default but I assume that's due to the completely insane amount of LRM mechs during this event. Like seriously, it's so bad right now. I loving hate these new "play every day" events, they really bring out the worst in people. They don't play the game, they play the lovely events.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

DancingShade posted:

It would be a death-side. Yeah, I'm aware that he didn't wrote that the XL build has a deadside. But I couldn't pass up the chance for a bad joke.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

I didn't bother with it at all and got it by default but I assume that's due to the completely insane amount of LRM mechs during this event. Like seriously, it's so bad right now. I loving hate these new "play every day" events, they really bring out the worst in people. They don't play the game, they play the lovely events.

If you don't play alone, it isn't so bad.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Playing a dad in pub matches is really loving frustrating but once every third game or so I get to steamroll a lance so I think I'll stick to learning the way of the dad.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

various cheeses posted:

I'm picturing battlemechs with huge tits

100ton Atlas DD-C if you catch my drift

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Artificer posted:

If you don't play alone, it isn't so bad.

Most games are made better by playing with friends, or goons, this one in particular is made so much more enjoyable because you not only get competent lancemates, you get comedy, gimmickry and general goofing around.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
It seems most of the euro guys have stopped playing because it's always empty when I'm on, like now.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

TjyvTompa posted:

It seems most of the euro guys have stopped playing because it's always empty when I'm on, like now.

Nah, pretty much everyone has quit playing.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I've been banned for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Azuth0667 posted:

I've been banned for a while.

:laffo: what did you get banned for?

• Locked thread