Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Zak2k12 posted:

I can answer if anyone has more questions about Romanian politics or the current political situation, and I'll try to keep it neutral when it comes to history. Most of these things can be easily looked up and verified. My own opinion is that right now PSD and ALDE are riding on the anti-EU hype train and are going to try to steal anything that isn't nailed down and try to keep their own people out of prison by weakening all the justice reforms and institutions created in the last 20 years. I am sure there are good and honest people in both parties who want a rule of law, but their leadership is literally made up of convicted felons or people under investigation for corruption. Things are looking bad.

How long until the next elections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Here we go, something from the C SPAM Trump thread to bang your head against.

https://twitter.com/jpaceDC/status/827881807467143169?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This could be related to a recent war game where Poland attacks Russian controlled Belarus as part of NATO.

http://www.thepotomacfoundation.org/baltic-security-scenario-simulation-in-poland/
http://belsat.eu/en/news/hegemon/

quote:

“First, the Kremlin inspires a revolution in Belarus which results in Lukashenka being removed from power. Power comes to the hands of the political force completely loyal to the Kremli, headed by one of the Belarusian secret service generals with pro-Russian geopolitical inclination”.

The Moscow protege invites Russian troops. Kremlin starts to use Belarus for hybrid threats against Poland and the Baltic states, and later switches to military threats. Then, according to the scenario of the game, the blue side, NATO, decides to activate the fifth article and comes into conflict with the red side, which is the Russian Federation. The fighting breaks out.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Aumanor posted:

How long until the next elections?

Next parliamentary elections: December 2020
Next local elections: Summer 2020
Presidential elections: November 2019
EU parliament elections: Spring 2019

The mechanism for triggering early elections for parliament relies on more than 50% of parliament resigning, or them being unable to appoint a government in case this one falls, both of which are extremely unlikely scenarios at this moment.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I would not be surprised if they withdraw the bill and then sneak it in with bunch of other laws after the protests have dissipated. Typical eastern European tactic.

At least in UK heads rolled after the 2009 parliamentary expenses scandal.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

jonnypeh posted:

I would not be surprised if they withdraw the bill and then sneak it in with bunch of other laws after the protests have dissipated. Typical eastern European tactic.

The emergency ordinance has been withdrawn today, but things are still tense.
They already said they were going to try to pass the bill through parliament in a new form. The government and the leaders of the coalition are still claiming that they did nothing wrong and that they had the right idea, but the way in which they presented it to the public was deficient. They say that the protesters are uninformed, that we are being influenced by foreign powers (the West) and that the President is trying to stage a coup.

I'm going out for the sixth night in a row today, I want to see the government resign.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Streitapfel/status/828315561130131456

:ussr:

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Just got this link. 250,000 people in front of the government. Subway won't stop in the two nearby stations. That's 100k+ lights there. Zak2k12 is prolly one of them. I'm
jealous. I'm sure someone somewhere is making an inauguration crowd meme with this.

E: Video here.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 5, 2017

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

Yeah, I was there. I'm proud to be a Romanian today and I am awe of the number of people who came out to protest all across the country. We might still make a change. Stay strong brothers.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What kind of Colored revolution would this be if successful?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Zak2k12 posted:

They already said they were going to try to pass the bill through parliament in a new form. The government and the leaders of the coalition are still claiming that they did nothing wrong and that they had the right idea, but the way in which they presented it to the public was deficient. They say that the protesters are uninformed, that we are being influenced by foreign powers (the West) and that the President is trying to stage a coup.

Has someone published a "how to spin a disgustingly evil legislation after you have to withdraw it" book recently, because the govt here says the exact same thing every time

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tevery Best posted:

Has someone published a "how to spin a disgustingly evil legislation after you have to withdraw it" book recently, because the govt here says the exact same thing every time

Yes, there are a bunch of poli sci texts on the subject. In practice it's consultants like Paul Manafort who teach how to handle situations like that.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Grouchio posted:

I know I've seen White Revolution here and there, IIRC the prez himself called it that.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

Except for the president bit because ours is a puppet.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Grouchio posted:

Should start naming revolutions after soccer players from the country in question. Colours are old hat. This could be the Hagi Revolution.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tevery Best posted:

"It's not legislation, it's a social experiment".

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Lichtenstein posted:

"It's not legislation, it's a social experiment".

"Just a prank, bro!"

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ltnewsnet/the-kaliningrad-controversy/1409715652392624

quote:

The Kaliningrad controversy

LTnews.net·Tuesday, January 31, 2017

(Vilnius) - Earlier this month, Lithuanian MP Linas Balsys, a representative of the Green Party, said at a conference titled ‘World in 2017: The View from Vilnius’ that Russia had lost legal rights to the Kaliningrad region after what he described as the "annexation" of Crimea and the status of the exclave, which is part of the former German province of East Prussia, needed consideration at the international level.

"Time has run out for Kaliningrad," Balsys alleged. "Kaliningrad was not given to Russia in perpetuity, either at the Potsdam Conference or at Helsinki. It was [only] said that the region would be put under Soviet administration until a final European peace agreement is signed."

Jasa Jakilaitiene, the official spokesperson for the Lithuanian Foreign Ministry said Lithuania did not have territorial claims to any of its neighbors and was not raising any questions regarding the status of the Kaliningrad region.

Russian Deputy Prime Minister has mocked the Lithuanian Foreign Ministry's statetement disavowing a demand by a Lithuanian parliament deputy to take Russia's Baltic exclave Kaliningrad region away from Russia.

Rogozin's comment appeared in Facebook: "Praise God! And we were already shaking in our shoes," he wrote.

Kaliningrad, known as Koenigsberg before 1946, was the capital of Germany’s province of East Prussia.

And the "failing" New York Times covered the protests in Romania.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/828561898874556417

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 6, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like earlier today a court in Astrakhan' has fined a person for ~1.2 thousand US dollars for violation of the recently adopted snitching law.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Heavy fighting all across the Donbas, in particular in Donetsk oblast. The following localities, as far as I can gather, have reported contact in the last three hours:

Mykyrivka
Shyrokyne
Yenakiieve
Zolote
Promzone
Zhovte
Kuryumivka
Metalurhiv
Kadiivka
Holubivka
Novhorodske
Holubivka
Avdiivka
Donetsk
Yasinuvata
Mayorsk
Zaysevo
Yenakijeve
Mariupol
Stakhanov
Vuhlehirsk
Lysychansk
Luhansk
Mineralne
Toretsk
Horlivka
Svitlodarsk
Bakhmut
Kalynove

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Belarus uses newspapers for camouflage instead of paint

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

If it's dumb and it works, it ain't dumb.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LeoMarr posted:

Soldiers need to be educated.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
In Estonia the 'run' part of 'hit and run' is apparently only a misdemeanor (edit: monetary fine + losing driver's license) even if the 'hit' part caused a death. Great to know. Also driving under influence can not be proved despite numerous witnesses seeing a man who was drunk the whole evening drive off in a car that minutes later caused this hit and run. Because they are not 'experts'. Also the victim was partly at fault for not wearing a bicycle helmet while the crash broke her neck. :colbert:

Well... I'm sure there are worse travesties of justice out there but this grinds my gears. The guilty party still had to pay 22,000€ and then sit 5 months in jail with 2 and half years of suspended sentence as a result of a plea bargain. But got to keep his license.

From what I read, hit and run is "worth" at least 3-5 years of jail in some western countries, even more if it causes a death.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

I was thinking about this earlier in the context of American protests, and how the pressure there from the left is to foster violence. The difference, I think, comes from the different structure of media and state force in the US vs. European countries. The American media is incredibly complacent in supporting the status quo not necessarily consciously, but at least by putting the least possible amount of effort into covering events outside the routine events - if something doesn't conform with the daily schedule and expectations of reporters, it is going to be downplayed and cherry picked to hell because of a systemic bias.

This isn't even in the same universe as the truth. It isn't 2002 anymore bub.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

jonnypeh posted:

In Estonia the 'run' part of 'hit and run' is apparently only a misdemeanor (edit: monetary fine + losing driver's license) even if the 'hit' part caused a death. Great to know. Also driving under influence can not be proved despite numerous witnesses seeing a man who was drunk the whole evening drive off in a car that minutes later caused this hit and run. Because they are not 'experts'. Also the victim was partly at fault for not wearing a bicycle helmet while the crash broke her neck. :colbert:

Well... I'm sure there are worse travesties of justice out there but this grinds my gears. The guilty party still had to pay 22,000€ and then sit 5 months in jail with 2 and half years of suspended sentence as a result of a plea bargain. But got to keep his license.

From what I read, hit and run is "worth" at least 3-5 years of jail in some western countries, even more if it causes a death.

It's pretty much like this everywhere outside of the netherlands. The real victim is always the poor driver and accidents just happen.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

Let me check what's the Latvian fine for this.

The "run" bit is classified as an administrative offense:
- bicycles, scooters - 7 to 55 euro fine.
- anything else - 70 to 700 euro fine, and optional driving ban for 3 to 24 months.

And the "hit" bit is classified as a criminal offense:
- if the victim has been moderately harmed at most - up to 2 years of jail, or arrest, or forced labour, or fine of up to 60 minimal monthly wages (22800 euro), with optional driving ban for up to 5 years.
- if the victim has been heavily harmed or killed - up to 10 years of jail, with optional driving ban for up to 5 years.
- if the offender has been under some substances (in either of two cases above) - 3 to 15 years of jail, driving ban for up to 5 years, and optional confiscation of property.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 7, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

It's pretty much like this everywhere outside of the netherlands. The real victim is always the poor driver and accidents just happen.

Uh no, it's because fleeing the scene of any crime is already be its own, minor crime, and it's way more important that someone was seriously injured or killed as far as punishments go.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

fishmech posted:

Uh no, it's because fleeing the scene of any crime is already be its own, minor crime, and it's way more important that someone was seriously injured or killed as far as punishments go.

By the letter of the law maybe, but in practise you can pretty much murder people with your car and get away with it. There were some high profile drinking driving hit and runs with serious injuries or deaths in my area recently where the driver got off scot free or with a slap on the wrist. People were even coming out saying that strict punishments for hit and runs were unfair to the poor because if you take away a person's license maybe they can't drive to work or pick their kids up and that's just so hard on people and maybe that pedestrian could have looked both ways an extra 10 times when crossing on a green??

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Russia is perhaps an extreme example, but I remember crossing the road in St. Petersburg and it felt like drivers were actively trying to kill you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

By the letter of the law maybe, but in practise you can pretty much murder people with your car and get away with it.

Usually because nobody actually gets a good enough view of who did the hit to figure out who it was. For the same reason that hit and runs where it's one car hitting another also don't get caught on many occasions. I doubt sincerely that the Dutch law does anything to fix that.

And that's in countries with police forces that can at least theoretically afford to try to sweep all red sedans in the area and see if there's visible damage, or the car mysteriously needed to go in to the mechanics the day after a known accident. In poorer countries, forget it unless any witnesses had time to accurately remember the plate or something.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 7, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Russia is perhaps an extreme example, but I remember crossing the road in St. Petersburg and it felt like drivers were actively trying to kill you.
That's just Eastern European big city driving culture. Plenty of countries in Asia are comparably uncanny for pedestrians, in this regard. Problem is that in places like Russia or Pittsburgh, it can be easy to blindside the punishment by being a pope, or white.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

fishmech posted:

Usually because nobody actually gets a good enough view of who did the hit to figure out who it was. For the same reason that hit and runs where it's one car hitting another also don't get caught on many occasions. I doubt sincerely that the Dutch law does anything to fix that.

And that's in countries with police forces that can at least theoretically afford to try to sweep all red sedans in the area and see if there's visible damage, or the car mysteriously needed to go in to the mechanics the day after a known accident. In poorer countries, forget it unless any witnesses had time to accurately remember the plate or something.

Dashcams are great for this. A lot more cyclists are getting helmet cams too. Hopefully nail more dangerous drivers that way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

Dashcams are great for this. A lot more cyclists are getting helmet cams too. Hopefully nail more dangerous drivers that way.

Those cams are often installed incorrectly, or are just plain cheap poo poo that barely works - especially at night. It doesn't help much, except for producing funny youtube videos.

Ultimately what's at stake is that many crimes in general just go completely unsolved, even uninvestigated beyond the most basic aspects.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11LlWuktqrI

Does this projection seem accurate?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's just Eastern European big city driving culture. Plenty of countries in Asia are comparably uncanny for pedestrians, in this regard. Problem is that in places like Russia or Pittsburgh, it can be easy to blindside the punishment by being a pope, or white.

loving horrific how in China and Taiwan instead of hit and run they have hit, reverse a few times to assure the victim is dead and then maybe run, in order to get around paying compensation to a possibly maimed victim.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
The minister of interior of Estonia promised that hit and run would now mean sentences of up to 5 years in jail. At least somebody noticed!

Caspian report is usually good, also considering that guy is from Azerbaijan and he managed to make a more-or-less neutral report of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Randarkman posted:

That's why they have perekhods! Pedestrians belong under the streets, either in those or in the metro, not on them!

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I'm on mobile so I can't link a source but Givi was killed by a bomb in Donbas today. He's the guy responsible for torturing Ukrainian POWs in case you forgot. Good riddance.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

A Russian judge on Wednesday said that opposition leader Alexei Navalny was guilty of embezzlement, Interfax news agency reported, a decision that will force Navalny to drop his plan to run in next year's presidential election.

What a coincidence!

A Pale Horse posted:

I'm on mobile so I can't link a source but Givi was killed by a bomb in Donbas today. He's the guy responsible for torturing Ukrainian POWs in case you forgot. Good riddance.
http://www.bbc.com/russian/news-38896309

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Question to EE goons - what's the state app landscape where you at? I was reading up on things in Latvia, and turns out that we have designated apps for dialing emergency services with GPS coordinate transmission, as well as apps to take photos of traffic and other incidents, with automatic geotagged report submission to the authorities.

E:

Dwesa posted:

A Russian judge on Wednesday said that opposition leader Alexei Navalny was guilty of embezzlement, Interfax news agency reported, a decision that will force Navalny to drop his plan to run in next year's presidential election.

What a coincidence!

https://twitter.com/navalny/status/829279369176694784

As per Navalniy, he was read the verdict from the previous court hearing on the case, that had differing eyewitness accounts.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 8, 2017