Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A reminder that Hitler intentionally wanted to fight to the last to 'punish' the German people for failing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Speaking of refusing to stop fighting long after any sane person would, Grey Hunter better strap in for the long hall because I won't consider this LP truly complete unless he simulates the Japanese garrison holdouts who terrorized tourists well into the 70s.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So, 28 planes - that would be a CVL or about the entire airgroup of a CVE launched?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Woof, just read through this entire thread. This is a great game to watch a LP of, but trying to actually play it seems incredibly daunting. Thanks for going through it for us Grey!

If no one has claimed it yet, can I claim PT-109 as my Lucky Ship?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

If no one has claimed it yet, can I claim PT-109 as my Lucky Ship?

Done.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We bring down another Liberator.

We crack another layer of forts – thankfully, this is mostly disabled squads, and easy to replace.

Two Liberators in one day!

The carriers go out to hunt their opposing number, but find a large task force in Milne Bay.

We put some bombs into them.

I'll need to rest up my troops – they will recover as well, but not as quickly due to low supplies.

Lets see what damage the carriers can do in the coming days!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Huh... actually looks like you'll win at Noumea, Adjusted Value, forts, casualties are going in the right direction.
Still no casualties on the allied side though.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
Noumea's definitely gonna need some bombardment support to be winnable. Crater the airfield with a BB bombardment then annoy the garrison by throwing bombers at them every day. And maybe turn Koumac into an airbase and park some Betties there so they can't resupply.

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

Slippery42 posted:

Noumea's definitely gonna need some bombardment support to be winnable. Crater the airfield with a BB bombardment then annoy the garrison by throwing bombers at them every day. And maybe turn Koumac into an airbase and park some Betties there so they can't resupply.

Given the fate of the Fuso, I'm not sure he can provide the air cover necessary to keep BB's alive around Noumea

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You can run night missions in and out at night--you know when it's dark--and if your first missions knock out the airfield it helps.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TildeATH posted:

You can run night missions in and out at night--you know when it's dark--and if your first missions knock out the airfield it helps.

Would the Japanese get a bonus for this? Engagements during the night was something that their navy was specifically trained for. Granted, that was for naval battles and not shore bombardments, but it should still apply.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 4, 2017

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

TildeATH posted:

This. Also, recall that it took a few days of sustained bombing for those planes to actually take the Fuso down since none of them appear to be equipped with torpedoes. I'm actually a little surprised to see Noumea listed as still having planes present. In my experience, the AI often freaks out and evacuates every air group it can from a threatened base.

Of course, knowing Grey, he'd throw some slow-rear end training cruiser into the TF that would prevent them from reaching the target before the planes can sortie :v:

RZApublican posted:

Would the Japanese get a bonus for this? Engagements during the night was something that their navy was specifically trained for. Granted, that was for naval battles and not shore bombardments, but it should still apply.

Ship crews have separate experience listed for day and night. I've never gone grognard enough to look into how Allies vs. Japanese ships compare in this regard at various points in the war to know whether there's actually a bonus (and the degree thereof), but it's definitely a thing the game can model.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Slippery42 posted:

Ship crews have separate experience listed for day and night. I've never gone grognard enough to look into how Allies vs. Japanese ships compare in this regard at various points in the war to know whether there's actually a bonus (and the degree thereof), but it's definitely a thing the game can model.

Pretty much all the IJN ships start with much higher night experience than the Allied ships. Given how miserly the game is with giving out experience and nobody loses experience, this means that even Japanese yard queens who never fire a shot in anger (like IRL Mutsu) will have higher night experience throughout the war than Allied ships who actually participate in and live through night fights.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
(from a few days ago) Check out those Japanese sorties :black101:

Also, I'm glad the Hankow troops have supply again. For a while. I was wondering at the time if damaged squads would properly reform without supply, or if Grey was getting hit harder than he thought because the low supply was causing slower reformation of squads. That would requiring knowing exactly how this engine works and HAHAHAHAHA

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey Hunter posted:

I'll need to rest up my troops – they will recover as well, but not as quickly due to low supplies.

Rest is for the weak, press on the attack!:black101:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

How's the Fuso? Is she facing serious dockyard time or bottom of the ocean?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

A White Guy posted:

I have bad news for you...

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

A White Guy posted:

I think you mean the Hyuga, the Fuso is a reef now.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good luck racking up some kills with the carriers!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

TildeATH posted:

Are we deliberately trying to refight Guadalcanal?

Grey needs to put a lot more subs around it to stop resupply.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

Grey needs to put a lot more subs around it to stop resupply.

The Japanese BBs shelling Henderson Field really was the closest they ever came to shutting it down, though.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Comstar posted:

That's the first word popping up in my head when I see the situation in Noumea actually.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We're finally starting to do damage to their heavy bombers.

We sink a loaded troop ship.

We then savage several more.

New Caledonia is such a target rich environment.

One kill here and a tanker from last year in the ops reports.

Rule The Waves Part 3. I make many mistakes.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 5, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're doing carrier ops in a thunderstorm? Ballsy as gently caress.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Getting fighters that have actual guns instead of those 7.7mm toys does seem to be helping with the heavy bomber problem.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Zeros have always had cannons :confused:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It is only relatively recently (last ten days or so) that he started getting decent numbers of Zeros into action there. Mostly he's been trying to shoot them down with Nates and sometimes a couple of Zeros (too few to help much).

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

drat working torps.

We bring down a couple of Hurricanes.

Time for another killing spree!

Most of these ships are not making it home.

Its a bad day for Allied shipping – and the troops they are carrying!

A very bad day.

Mmmm. Tanker.

The Empress' India takes some sinking.

We should earn some points today!

There will be a lot of letters going home to lots of families.

I think we did some damage today. 240 points of troops killed alone!

So many kills.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

drat

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Wowee, good job Grey. Keep smacking them around, and soon you'll be invading San Diego!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

So how long until CINCPAC realizes the "reverse Tokyo express" strategy isn't working out too well?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That was some quality pixelmen murder there, Grey.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Wow, that was just a slaughter.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
RMS Empress of Australia in her prime:

Fun Ship Fact: She was actually in port at Yokohama when the Great Kanto Earthquake struck in 1923. Both Tokyo and Yokohama suffered catastrophic damage in what is probably one of the worst earthquake disasters in recorded history. After some fancy footwork and the help of divers from the BB Yamashiro freeing a fouled propeller, Empress of Australia stayed on-station for several days providing relief and ferrying refugees up the coast to Kobe.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I feel like in this timeline more soldiers die in sinking ships than in battle.

Anime-style battleship-troop transports are the only logical outcome.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It's a little ridiculous that there are uncovered convoys trickling through the Coral Sea.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Pixelman's go in the water, pixel sharks in the water...

Fair well and adieu all you ladies of spain...

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Army basic training is extended by 5 weeks with Navy SEAL-levels of swimming requirements.

Despite losing the war, the US sweeps the Olympic medals in every swimming event for the next twenty years.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Wonder how some of the guns and vehicles wound up as "disabled" instead of destroyed. Did they put some of them into lifeboats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You don't ship them assembled, and they probably don't have to travel with their full crew & support crews.