Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i'd be interested in breaking away, because backing a pro-corporate neoliberal would mean that the dems didn't learn a god damned thing.

i don't know about y'all, but I sure as gently caress can't afford four more years of status quo at best, or four more years of trump at the very worst.

we were told that perfect was the enemy of the good, but when establishment's definition of 'good' is an unelectable pile of bullshit, their insistence on doing the exact same thing is entirely on them.

drat it irene, you were supposed to NOT make the perfect the enemy of the good and now we have trumps all over the place. good going irene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
get left or :frogout:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If the 2016 GOP primary had been between Jeb Bush, Donald Trump, and three other rando no-hopers (let's say Fiorina, Carson, and Kasich), Jeb probably would have won the primary in a squeaker and then lost to Hillary Clinton in the lowest turnout general election in history. The presence of other base-pleasing ideologues like Cruz and Paul and establishment-pleasing empty suits like Rubio and Christie split the party's support system up, which allowed Trump to survive long enough to embarrass Jeb on the debate stage, say enough ridiculous poo poo to dominate press coverage all the time, and pick the others off one at a time until there was nobody left. And that won the GOP an election. So I say, for the 2020 primaries, flood the loving stage and let's see who sinks and who swims.

Al! posted:

drat it irene, you were supposed to NOT make the perfect the enemy of the good and now we have trumps all over the place. good going irene

The problem with saying "the perfect is the enemy of the good" all the time is when the good is actually bad

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zegermans posted:

Bevin was elected two years ago - did Hilldawg tip KY's congress over?

Yep. Kentucky House flipped and the first thing they did was implement right-to-work. Senate had flipped a while ago.

Almost like Republicans know that shattering the unions will hurt Dems and compound their own power...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

breaklaw posted:

All you posters going at "bad dems", would you be willing to break with the party in 4 years if they nominate another corporate stooge, but this time one with a non-zero likability rating and a god chance to win?

If they stand up Corey Booker or some other empty suit with the full backing of Citigroup and Goldmans Sachs, but one who remembers to deliver the fuzzy feels by talking up diversity and inclusion all the time, would you be willing to bolt for an independent or third party candidate?

Bernie ran for the dem primary but he was an independent, he could have run against Trump and Hillary if he really wanted to. If the primary process is so opaque and unfair, maybe it's time to say gently caress the primaries. Have a host of different candidates running for the general election two years out.

third-parties are hopeless, that's why bernie ran as a dem

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

We're gonna get national right to work anyway so I guess all these state-level laws are meaningless at this point though

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

zegermans posted:

A bernout coming up with a grandiose conspiracy when things aren't 100% tilted in their favor? :monocle:
:ironicat:

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
#BernieOrBust and #NeverTrump are two things that never really happened but could have. Bernie and Cruz or someone both running in the general and we would probably have a different president now.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The left is dead, Dems will field someone like Booker in 2020 and win and the establishment Dems will view it as a repudiation of the Bernie wing (as if they needed any further evidence of that in their eyes). There will never be meaningful leftward progress in America in the next 20 years or so because there's simply not even a hypothetical path for it to take. Good luck maintaining even BAU neoliberalism as the climate destroys the world and puts "refugee" onto the resume of half of the world's workers.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Don't evade probation

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
whoever runs for president in 2020 will be a corporate stooge because republicans are aware that calling the democratic candidate a corporate stooge is an easy way to push the buttons of white progressives

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/828663943413391360

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

stay safe, crazy rap man

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

call to action posted:

Warning, the Hillarymen are purging

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_lhRNV3XfE

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zegermans posted:

We're gonna get national right to work anyway so I guess all these state-level laws are meaningless at this point though

Disagree. At least if the Dems ever take back congress they can reverse it in one fell swoop - if the states pass it individually, it'll be a lot more durable.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

zegermans posted:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...bad29dbd1a.html

Missouri becomes a right-to-work state, because the dem favorite for governor lost, because he was dragged down by Clinton.

Even at the state level her shittiness is causing massive problems.

Hillary will invest massively in the downticket!! :downsgun:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/828705348550811650?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Missouri is going straight into the poo poo house in a couple years.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Remember when they were pals and then kanye offered to play at the inaug, only for trump to say no because he didn't look "American enough" lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

breaklaw posted:

All you posters going at "bad dems", would you be willing to break with the party in 4 years if they nominate another corporate stooge, but this time one with a non-zero likability rating and a god chance to win?

If they stand up Corey Booker or some other empty suit with the full backing of Citigroup and Goldmans Sachs, but one who remembers to deliver the fuzzy feels by talking up diversity and inclusion all the time, would you be willing to bolt for an independent or third party candidate?

Bernie ran for the dem primary but he was an independent, he could have run against Trump and Hillary if he really wanted to. If the primary process is so opaque and unfair, maybe it's time to say gently caress the primaries. Have a host of different candidates running for the general election two years out.

3rd parties dont really work in first past the post voting but if perez wins the dnc chair i'm willing to call the democrats a dead party and bail

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

wapo 3 years from now

"why frankensteins are just bernie bros scheming to take down booker"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

anime was right posted:

wapo 3 years from now

"why frankensteins are just bernie bros scheming to take down booker"

almost certainty, if he actually threatens him.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

Remember when they were pals and then kanye offered to play at the inaug, only for trump to say no because he didn't look "American enough" lmao

the frendship over with/new best friend meme

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Al! posted:

the frendship over with/new best friend meme

Friendship ended with TRUMP
Now KANYE is my best friend

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like this idea on its face but was actually a little less into it when I read the article because the author also thinks nominating the Starbucks guy or Marc Cuban would be a good idea

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Missouri is going straight into the poo poo house in a couple years.

Missouri has been a poo poo state full of poo poo people for over a decade, but until recently they at least had the sense to not vote for governors that run on the platform of making them earn less money.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

loquacius posted:

The problem with saying "the perfect is the enemy of the good" all the time is when the good is actually bad

Yeah I wouldn't say that someone like Booker even qualifies as "good." He lives in a fantasy land where the American economy still works for the middle class and things like drug prices and college tuition haven't spiraled totally out of control, I don't trust him to address any of these issues at all. Basically the only good thing you can say about him on economics is that he isn't as actively bad as a Republican, that's not good enough.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Bootacheck.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

logikv9 posted:

he will wipe the slate clean

vote buttgeig

Feel the Butt

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

logikv9 posted:

Bootacheck.

im pretty depressed today, they had a free bootacheck at work and they discovered a buttgeig.......

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why is this thread full of probations is zoux mod again

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Majorian posted:

"My plans are beings to expanding SCHIP...to include...a keratinous horrrrn implant...on each beautiful child-rens.

Oh, and to change national anthem to 'Fight Song.'"

A word about health care. Each American will receive a free cryogenic probe-tube, and it will give them an professional feverdepression.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Al! posted:

what's the word for a romantic relationship but that's based on being enemies????? its probably on tv tropes somewhere

marriage

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Baloogan went on a rampage and them probed himself when someone told him to go to bed

Its 430pm on the east coast

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

something about a giant bird circling the thread

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

target-rich environment

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

it's actually been heartening to see so many people stand up for concerned citizen, i thought you guys hated him

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Al! posted:

it's actually been heartening to see so many people stand up for concerned citizen, i thought you guys hated him

every thread needs a punching bag

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Yep. I'm pretty that is next on the republican docket, if they haven't already started the process. I'm sure pragmatic dems will vote along with it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
This thread was actually like good and occasionally funny for a long while after the election with like zero moderation

• Locked thread