Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Terraria is 2d Minecraft, so that might be fun.

Total War - Warhammer has a fully co-op campaign. It is turn-based strategy with real-time tactical combat. An incredibly fun and addictive game. I have only played the single player and competitive multi-player but I've heard positive things about the co-op campaign. There is a ton of DLC, but the base game has hundred of hours of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Dawn of War 2

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mr. Dragoon posted:

I'm looking for a online co-op game for a friend of mine to play with me. He wants either a Turn Based Strategy or a RTS where we can work as a team with no PvP elements. Or a open world survival game in 3D that has a objective or goal. "Like Terriaria in 3D"

Edit: For PC

Doesn't Starcraft 2 have all kinds of coop online options now? I haven't tried them yet but they were always staring me in the face on the menu screen.

Edit: yeah.

http://kotaku.com/co-op-is-quietly-the-best-thing-in-starcraft-ii-1775761958

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Mr. Dragoon posted:

Or a open world survival game in 3D that has a objective or goal. "Like Terriaria in 3D"

Empyrion: Galactic Survival maybe? It has more of an exploration and survival focus than Space Engineers, some NPCs to hunt and defend against, it's pretty cool. Astroneer as well, it's very early access but there's some things to do - pretty interesting modular building system for bases and vehicles.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 24, 2017

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Dragoon posted:

"Like Terriaria in 3D"

Edit: For PC

Eela6 posted:

Terraria is 2d Minecraft, so that might be fun.

What was your thought process with this post

Anyway, you guys should go with Factorio, which is kinda co-op open-world RTS to launch a rocket while defending against bugs.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm going to keep recommending Creativerse as a Minecraft alternative, because its just so darned good and nobody else recommends it but me. It's also free. If I were to describe it in a sentence, it would be "vanilla Minecraft, but better in every possible way"

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Evilreaver posted:

What was your thought process with this post

I was recommending Minecraft. The wording is a little clunky, admittedly.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Doesn't Starcraft 2 have all kinds of coop online options now? I haven't tried them yet but they were always staring me in the face on the menu screen.

Edit: yeah.

http://kotaku.com/co-op-is-quietly-the-best-thing-in-starcraft-ii-1775761958

SC2 coop is its own unique mode and is not integrated into the main campaign. It is fun and has progression and all that, but I don't know if it's a draw entirely on its own merits.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Are there any games where you defeat Captain Planet-esque villains? I need something to cope with the news.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Backhand posted:

SC2 coop is its own unique mode and is not integrated into the main campaign. It is fun and has progression and all that, but I don't know if it's a draw entirely on its own merits.

SC2 coop is extremely good and the fact that it's separate from the campaign is very much in its favor.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are there any games where you defeat Captain Planet-esque villains? I need something to cope with the news.

Ratchet and Clank games pretty much uniformly feature cartoon supervillains as primary adversaries, both in writing and scope. (Dr. Nefarious is a goddamned treasure.)

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
anyone know any good phone games that are skill based but still have a lot of randomness involved? puzzle and dragons is good but doesn't give me gambling rush

no nerdy rear end card games with a ton of fantasy bullshit and complexity. i want to put it all on the line and get hosed hard.

fbsw fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 24, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

fbsw posted:

anyone know any good phone games that are skill based but still have a lot of randomness involved? puzzle and dragons is good but doesn't give me gambling rush

no nerdy rear end card games with a ton of fantasy bullshit and complexity. i want to put it all on the line and get hosed hard.

Grindr

Caufman
May 7, 2007
What are some unusual roguelikes that I might have missed over the years? I'm not super interested in going down a dungeon, but Liberal Crime Squad or Armoured Commander caught my attention, as well as survival roguelikes like UnReal World, Neo Scavanger and Cataclysm.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Caufman posted:

What are some unusual roguelikes that I might have missed over the years? I'm not super interested in going down a dungeon, but Liberal Crime Squad or Armoured Commander caught my attention, as well as survival roguelikes like UnReal World, Neo Scavanger and Cataclysm.
I'm guessing you've played it but Doom (or D**m, rather)? Also Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode is surprisingly fun, and Gearhead too

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 26, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Caufman posted:

Caves of Qud is great and is getting better every day

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there anything good that uses modern graphics in the same vein as Tie fighter or X-wing? Something that's not Scam Citizen or boring like elite.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
House of the Dying Sun might be worth a look?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there anything good that uses modern graphics in the same vein as Tie fighter or X-wing? Something that's not Scam Citizen or boring like elite.

Not too modern, but Freespace 2 has a bevy of custom campaigns if you've already played the original release. It's brilliant and I need to get around to finishing Blue Planet.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any good hacker sims like Uplink? I'm not picky, browser games, steam, whatever is fine.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Robo Reagan posted:

Any good hacker sims like Uplink? I'm not picky, browser games, steam, whatever is fine.

Hacknet and Hackmud are the next best singleplayer and multiplayer hacking games respectively.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I want to play one of the telltale games but I don't know which one. I played the Walking Dead one only and it was pretty good. The gameplay sucks but the story is interesting and interactive enough that its sort of the gameplay. I know Telltale released a bunch of series based on licensed titles but I am not sure which ones are well regarded or well reviewed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ulio posted:

I want to play one of the telltale games but I don't know which one. I played the Walking Dead one only and it was pretty good. The gameplay sucks but the story is interesting and interactive enough that its sort of the gameplay. I know Telltale released a bunch of series based on licensed titles but I am not sure which ones are well regarded or well reviewed.

Tales from the Borderlands. Best thing they've done since TWD S1, is very funny, and requires no knowledge of Borderlands.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sounds good. I have played a bit of Borderlands 1 but never got back to it. Also does it still have the same problem as older Telltale games such as save files not working sometimes from episode to episode?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anything in the last 6 months in the realm of low/no-brainer action RPGs, either in the mold of Diablo 2/3, or in turn-based dungeon crawling like Dungeonmans?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ulio posted:

Sounds good. I have played a bit of Borderlands 1 but never got back to it. Also does it still have the same problem as older Telltale games such as save files not working sometimes from episode to episode?

I haven't had that problem with it, but I didn't have that problem with older games either.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Whats good and engaging for iPad? I have the longest, dullest train journey coming up and I've 100%ed FTL

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

massive spider posted:

Whats good and engaging for iPad? I have the longest, dullest train journey coming up and I've 100%ed FTL

Pacific Fleet and Atlantic Fleet are fun ship-fighting games. Pacific Fleet gets easy once you upgrade all your ships with radar and the missions are pretty simple, but Atlantic Fleet is more complex and quite engaging.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 6, 2017

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

massive spider posted:

Twilight Struggle, but you won't get the full experience without multiplayer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

massive spider posted:

:xcom:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ulio posted:

I thought The Wolf Among Us was really good. I played it with my wife and it was like a good TV series for us.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I'm nearing the end of my Steam library and have no idea where to go from here. My tastes are varied, but I'm also incredibly picky. I used to seek out narrative-focused games but have since come to accept that games as a medium are unlikely to deliver the sorts of stories I'm interested in. Lately, I tend to gravitate toward games with interesting environmental story-telling and background lore, or games where themes are conveyed entirely through atmosphere, where the over-arching narrative is superfluous, or non-existent. As far as gameplay is concerned, while I would prefer there to be some sort of problem to solve (a puzzle, a difficult combat encounter, or a moral dilemma) it's not strictly necessary, especially if there are other things of interest. Aesthetics are important to me.

Some of my personal favourites include:
Kentucky Route Zero is one of a small number of games with writing I genuinely enjoyed. I'm just waiting for it to be finished.
I loved the puzzles in both The Talos Principle and The Swapper, though I preferred the way the former explored it's themes (and enjoyed the background lore far more).
Dark Souls made me realise I'm capable of enjoying combat encounters in games (previously I'd presumed it wasn't for me), and that I'm not as terrible at it as I thought.
I used to really like The Legend of Zelda series, especially Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. The newer games seem significantly less appealing.
The Elder Scrolls series has some of my favourite background lore even though the developers seem strangely averse to exploring the more interesting parts. Morrowind is unbelievably charming, although I've played Skyrim more than any other game in my library.
Of the choice-heavy role-playing games I've played, Pillars of Eternity is the one I've enjoyed the most, with Tyranny a close second.
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP was wonderful, and Below can't come out soon enough.

Other games I've played and enjoyed are:
The Witness, Botanicula, Samorost, Pavilion, Coffee Pot Terrarium, Hiversaires, and Howling Dogs.

I'm also fascinated by Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian, Journey, and Demon's Souls but I haven't had the chance to play them yet due to console exclusivity. Presently, I have access to reasonably powerful gaming laptop, an Android phone, and a regretfully purchased Nintendo 3DSXL.

This post grew a little unwieldy, but if you can be bothered to suffer through it I'd appreciate some recommendations!

basalt fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 7, 2017

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I share some of your taste in environmental storytelling, atmospheric games, and games that challenge you in some way, and I think you should play STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I share some of your taste in environmental storytelling, atmospheric games, and games that challenge you in some way, and I think you should play STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

I agree, but be aware that it's not very stable out of the box. There are many basic bug fix mods, installing one is highly recommended.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Interested in suggestions for a turn-based strategy game suitable for multiplayer with friends. Bonus points if you can run a server that will happily process turns at any time.

Fat Samurai posted:

Dominions 4 :unsmigghh:

My friend gifted me Dominions 4 and it ruined my life. A+++ would highly recommend.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

gohuskies posted:

I agree, but be aware that it's not very stable out of the box. There are many basic bug fix mods, installing one is highly recommended.

Yeah if you want to go this route install Stalker Complete and disable the gameplay changes, but imo if you save often it's not so bad. I actually played through it without mods recently. It totally does crash and the game's rough around the edges even with mods but you will still be able to enjoy a great game if you just download it off Steam and start playing.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I share many of your tastes and recommend SOMA with whatever mod it is that turns monsters off. The story in that game is one of the best I've seen but the shoehorned horror gameplay is just awful.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SOMA is a good call.

I can't decide whether Firewatch is worth recommending or not for you.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

bloodclot posted:

This post grew a little unwieldy, but if you can be bothered to suffer through it I'd appreciate some recommendations!

Or pick up Metro 2033. Both are depressing Russian literature at its finest. System Shock 2 and Bioshock are great games that rely heavily on a horror based atmosphere. The older Thief games build a very interesting world, though the graphics are not pleasant. If you like the Elder Scrolls games, consider picking up Fallout: New Vegas. There's Limbo, a neat puzzle game with no dialogue or narration. It has a sort-of sequel called Inside that's by the same people. The Shadowrun games, Returns, Dragonfall, and Hong Kong, are all great story based games, though the gameplay might feel a bit simplistic. In that vein, the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is a nice remake of a older game.

Oh yeah and Soma is great, but taking the monsters out kinda removes the fun from some of the sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

massive spider posted:

Sorcery 1 to 4 if you like CYOA RPG stuff