Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Cool that this thread is focussing on anime and video games when the Speaker has literally just denounced Trump in the House of Commons.

As important as I am, I am not an entire thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I'm sure there was an article in the Graun recently stating that Trump had no interest in addressing MPs and just wanting all the pomp and circumstance of a state visit, meet the Queen, some military display, that kind of shite.

[edit] this one - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/05/us-president-doesnt-care-about-making-a-speech-on-uk-state-visit

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 6, 2017

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Pissflaps is moaning about shitposting?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jesus Christ, BBC news has a video of an NHS manager going around with a credit card machine demanding £800 a day from foreign visitors to stay in hospital.

How do people like that actually live with themselves? I know a lot of doctors, myself included, who are going to get very angry if they see anyone like that going near their patients.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Niric posted:

I definitely think the "culture wars" thesis is the most persuasive. It'd be fascinating to get some polling for even just a few of those wards to see how closely death penalty support etc lines up at that micro level

I think 'culture war' vs 'economics and equality' is a false dichotomy though - people/ communities who feel they are in a lovely situation with no way out and no chance of outside help are going to turn inwards, and part of that is going to be increased suspicion of outsiders and more extreme punishment for insiders who transgress.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jabby posted:

Jesus Christ, BBC news has a video of an NHS manager going around with a credit card machine demanding £800 a day from foreign visitors to stay in hospital.

and yet when I do that at the sperm bank people call me a fiend

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Prince John posted:

The Beeb have an interesting breakdown of EU referendum voting trends.

They've been piecing things together with lots of FoI requests - the main trends identified before concerning education and age are replicated here, but they've also managed to obtain a much more granular picture than that available previously, even down to the individual ballot box in some places.

Worth a read if you have a few minutes. I also found it interesting that the education correlation with a remain vote was also present for levels of education below that of a degree, so it's not simply about campus contact with ~~foreigns~~.

This only has about 10% of the UK wards in it annoyingly. I've been meaning to do some map stuff with the Trump petitions and if that works then I'll take a look into this, see if it's properly indicative of the UK.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So I looked at the Wikipedia history of The Guardian on a whim and holy poo poo what an absolutely horrific goldmine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian

quote:

The working-class Manchester and Salford Advertiser called the Manchester Guardian "the foul prostitute and dirty parasite of the worst portion of the mill-owners".[20] The Manchester Guardian was generally hostile to labour's claims. Of the 1832 Ten Hours Bill, the paper doubted whether in view of the foreign competition "the passing of a law positively enacting a gradual destruction of the cotton manufacture in this kingdom would be a much less rational procedure."[21] The Manchester Guardian dismissed strikes as the work of outside agitators – "... if an accommodation can be effected, the occupation of the agents of the Union is gone. They live on strife ..."[22]

The Manchester Guardian was highly critical of Abraham Lincoln's conduct during the American Civil War, writing on the news that Abraham Lincoln had been assassinated: "Of his rule, we can never speak except as a series of acts abhorrent to every true notion of constitutional right and human liberty ..."[23]

The paper so loathed Labour's left-wing champion Aneurin Bevan "and the hate-gospellers of his entourage" that it called for Attlee's post-war Labour government to be voted out of office.[28] The newspaper opposed the creation of the National Health Service as it feared the state provision of healthcare would "eliminate selective elimination" and lead to an increase of congenitally deformed and feckless people.[29]

Many Irish people believed that the Widgery Tribunal's ruling on the killings was a whitewash,[32] a view that was later supported with the publication of the Saville inquiry in 2010,[33] but in 1972 The Guardian declared that "Widgery's report is not one-sided" (20 April 1972).[34] At the time the paper also supported internment without trial in Northern Ireland: "Internment without trial is hateful, repressive and undemocratic. In the existing Irish situation, most regrettably, it is also inevitable... .To remove the ringleaders, in the hope that the atmosphere might calm down, is a step to which there is no obvious alternative."[35] Before then, The Guardian had called for British troops to be sent to the region: British soldiers could "present a more disinterested face of law and order,"[36] but only on condition that "Britain takes charge."[37]

They literally opposed the NHS because it would impede the natural process of eugenic selection of the disabled :stare:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jabby posted:

How do people like that actually live with themselves? I know a lot of doctors, myself included, who are going to get very angry if they see anyone like that going near their patients.

ITV called it "so-called Health Tourism" which has some nice connotations

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Hardline Protestants love their crocodile metaphors.
Yeah, because a crocodile in the OT is itself only used in relation to the Egyptians/Babylonians who would destroy Israel!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

So I looked at the Wikipedia history of The Guardian on a whim and holy poo poo what an absolutely horrific goldmine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian

They literally opposed the NHS because it would impede the natural process of eugenic selection of the disabled :stare:

Liberals.txt.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Prince John posted:

They've been piecing things together with lots of FoI requests - the main trends identified before concerning education and age are replicated here, but they've also managed to obtain a much more granular picture than that available previously, even down to the individual ballot box in some places.

Worth a read if you have a few minutes. I also found it interesting that the education correlation with a remain vote was also present for levels of education below that of a degree, so it's not simply about campus contact with ~~foreigns~~.

Why do I get a feeling that this study did not heavily include income or class?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

jBrereton posted:

Yeah, because a crocodile in the OT is itself only used in relation to the Egyptians/Babylonians who would destroy Israel!

I'll never forgive Elohim for kicking in all those cool-rear end religions from back in the day. :mad:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/naomi_rovnick/status/828606484112084992

Oh the Graun

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
For two weeks.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You too could make Dame Polly of Toynbee's cuppas for a week unpaid while nobody thinks too hard about slavery.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

gently caress off they never go into the office.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage-and-paul-nuttall-pelted-with-eggs-in-stokeontrent-a3459861.html

Nigel Farage and Paul Nuttall pelted with eggs in Stoke-on-Trent

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
He's only vulnerable to plane crashes

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

WeAreTheRomans posted:

He's only vulnerable to plane crashes
If this was true we wouldn't be in this mess.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What a waste of eggs, do they not have bricks?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TACD posted:

If this was true we wouldn't be in this mess.

No he needs to have like, several planes crash into him at once. We need a Nige/11

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Prince John posted:

They might as well just headline that with 'stupid old white racists voted leave' but we kinda knew that already didn't we.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

You can't specify that you only want BAME candidates if it's a paid scheme because of UK employment equality law.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Seaside Loafer posted:

They might as well just headline that with 'stupid old white racists voted leave' but we kinda knew that already didn't we.

The more I see data like that the more I come to accept that Brexit will be an unequivocal success out of otherworldly spite.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Prince John posted:

interesting that the four most southerly wards in Portsmouth voted Remain, while Slough's results are a little weird except that the Britwell is as I thought and a hotbed of racism

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

HJB posted:

The more I see data like that the more I come to accept that Brexit will be an unequivocal success out of otherworldly spite.

:siren: DISCLAIMER :siren: I'm not a Remoaner that's desperate to see this country fail.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's not about wanting anything to fail. If it's a "success" in that the economy is fine the problem is all the deregulation that's going to happen. We might have an economy but your food is full of mercury and you can't go to the hospital for treatment because you can't afford the new private health service. I can totally see "brexit" working economically but failing socially. But no one will give a gently caress about the social impacts and after a few years of dying of toxic contaminants in food, it'll be the new norm.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fangz posted:

You can't specify that you only want BAME candidates if it's a paid scheme because of UK employment equality law.

I think a newspaper which occasionally attacks inequality & low pay does its cause immeasurable damage by exploiting unpaid schemes like this which ultimately are going to favour people whose parents are wealthy enough to give their kid a 2 week free ride, on top of already paying for them to be able to afford London rents

But then liberals are generally terrible on discrimination based on class & economic measures so that's hardly a shocker. Still a lovely look.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Looking forward to hearing about the article 50 bill amendments that Labour are going to force onto the Tories somehow

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/828710614310715392

oh

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Looking forward to hearing about the article 50 bill amendments that Labour are going to force onto the Tories somehow

I haven't seen a single person claim Labour can 'force' amendments onto the Tories. Everyone is well aware that amendments will only pass if some Tories are convinced to support them. You're complaining about a position that no-one holds.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

I haven't seen a single person claim Labour can 'force' amendments onto the Tories. Everyone is well aware that amendments will only pass if some Tories are convinced to support them. You're complaining about a position that no-one holds.

So these people justifying Corbyn's loving awful three line whip on this bill by saying Labour will get amendments

Namtab posted:

The Tories can force it through regardless, the aim is to get them to crumble and accept some of the amendments, which seem easy enough to swing some rebellion or concessions.

Baka Kaba posted:

If enough Tories are willing to defy the whip and political hell and vote No on principle, the amendments should pass anyway - they're just good ideas and the kind of safeguards those rebels want to see.

Gort posted:

The plan is to respect the result of the referendum but make the best of the result of the referendum. Step one of that is the amendments:

didn't actually think it was going to happen?

Interesting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I think a newspaper which occasionally attacks inequality & low pay does its cause immeasurable damage by exploiting unpaid schemes like this which ultimately are going to favour people whose parents are wealthy enough to give their kid a 2 week free ride, on top of already paying for them to be able to afford London rents

But then liberals are generally terrible on discrimination based on class & economic measures so that's hardly a shocker. Still a lovely look.
I think they might be getting less liberal and more radical recently.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I said that that was the aim, I never said that the Tories would go for it, you asinine oval office

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Dead Goon posted:

I'm sure there was an article in the Graun recently stating that Trump had no interest in addressing MPs and just wanting all the pomp and circumstance of a state visit, meet the Queen, some military display, that kind of shite.

[edit] this one - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/05/us-president-doesnt-care-about-making-a-speech-on-uk-state-visit

He doesn't want to...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The joys of majority government.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Poor Jenny - this has to be one of the most intervened speeches yet today. I think that they're getting cranky because they've got hours to go.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

I said that that was the aim, I never said that the Tories would go for it, you asinine oval office

Ah, I see you're using a basic understanding of 'maths' and 'counting' to come to your conclusions.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

So it was a worthless strategy and when you attempted to justify it by going on about amendments you knew then that it was a loving stupid idea. I see.

I told you the Tories wouldn't go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

So it was a worthless strategy and when you attempted to justify it by going on about amendments you knew then that it was a loving stupid idea. I see.

The only worthless thing here is your "contributions"

• Locked thread