Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I saw Hamilton on Thursday (in Chicago). It was wonderful. You will never be satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
OH HEY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HAMILTON IN HERE?!!?!?!?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
For real though, anyone who can see it should see it, it's amazing.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I need to start entering the lottery again. Like every day.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Now i just need to get tickets for the Cursed Child. THANKS Rowling for putting it in a tiny theatre.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i don't like my job, but isn't that normal? to an extent? i dunno, for once i'm making more than just enough to get by in life, which is nice because i can afford things like surgery for my dog or car repairs without getting worried. i generally live so far within my means that outside that those big expenses, i don't find myself enjoying it. the thing is, i have no idea what i actually want to do with my life, or what kind of positions this current job qualifies me for. I like Creating Content and would definitely enjoy developing my own business using the skills i've learned here, but one of those is barely a career and the other would mean years of work before i could get started. i have no idea how much of this sentiment is douchey and privileged.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Cursed Child is a two night play. And I find that weird.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

i don't like my job, but isn't that normal? to an extent?

There's definitely a difference between "ugh job is annoying" and hating your job so much that you burst into tears before you go into work. I've had both and one of those is definitely not healthy and not sustainable long term. I think most people tolerate their job. They like parts of it, dislike other parts, but it's a way to make money to afford the things you want. That's perfectly acceptable, you don't have to love your job but that's a different thing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love my job but I have the best job

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Somberbrero posted:

i don't like my job, but isn't that normal? to an extent? i dunno, for once i'm making more than just enough to get by in life, which is nice because i can afford things like surgery for my dog or car repairs without getting worried. i generally live so far within my means that outside that those big expenses, i don't find myself enjoying it. the thing is, i have no idea what i actually want to do with my life, or what kind of positions this current job qualifies me for. I like Creating Content and would definitely enjoy developing my own business using the skills i've learned here, but one of those is barely a career and the other would mean years of work before i could get started. i have no idea how much of this sentiment is douchey and privileged.

"I like creating content and would definitely enjoy developing my own business using the skills I've learned here..."

You should do this, or at least look into this. Work so that your needs and some wants are met, but work towards things you enjoy. The cliché that if you "do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life" is simultaneously the best and worst advice I've ever read/heard/received, because yes, doing the things you enjoy is more satisfying, but it's false that it's not work. Enterprising on your own, you'll probably put in more hours, more work, and take bigger risks so it's a lot to consider, but I strongly support doing what makes you happy in most all things, personal and professional.

I used to do freelance design and bulk editing for photoshoots, and it was "fun" in the hobbyist sense, but I didn't realize the burden I had created for myself in doing so, and got burned on some payments a couple of times. Run of the mill bean counter now, and I don't hate my job, but it's very much a job. However, I'm free to pursue my passions and I do.

I haven't given up the dream that I'll one day write a hit screenplay and obtain all the acclaim and validation that I desire

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Asiina posted:

OH HEY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HAMILTON IN HERE?!!?!?!?

Did you watch the puppy bowl?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Aww man they should have continued with that naming trend.

Bark-uis de Lafayette
Bone Laurens
Barkules Mulligan
Elizabark Schuyler
Angelicat Schuyler (wait, how'd that one get in?)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
cats in the puppybowl

just ruin the sanctity of the entire event huh

this world has rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You fools, none of you realize how cruel and merciless this world really is. It'll crush everything you believe, all your hopes and dreams, without even breaking stride. The only way to survive is to realize that there's only one truth, one law.

The Rolling Start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrtl41oZxOA

##vote BottleKnight

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BottleKnight posted:

cats in the puppybowl

just ruin the sanctity of the entire event huh

this world has rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cats do the halftime show, FAKE FAN

Max
Nov 30, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

You fools, none of you realize how cruel and merciless this world really is. It'll crush everything you believe, all your hopes and dreams, without even breaking stride. The only way to survive is to realize that there's only one truth, one law.

The Rolling Start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrtl41oZxOA

##vote BottleKnight

##Reveal PMush's many, MANY, betrayals.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I dislike all my jobs but that's because I work a series of min wage fast food jobs as I'm unqualified to do anything else

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Hey guys I'm fat so I made a thing. Feel free to follow along on my journey and try not to throw up at the pictures.

PS Dear Evan Hansen anyone? It's lovely.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Hey guys I'm fat so I made a thing. Feel free to follow along on my journey and try not to throw up at the pictures.

Go you this absolutely owns I will subscribe

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

You're awesome and you will do awesome. I've bookmarked it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bookmarked for encouragement, you got this poo poo!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Go Anarc! I started c25k but about halfway through I ran funny and sprained my knee, which knocked me off that wagon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Subscribing also!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Double-posting to say that the new Samurai Jack trailer looks awful.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I've been lucky in that I'd say I liked most of my jobs. I get frustrated by it sometimes, but I really like the place where I am now.

I think one of the tricks, if you can do it, is to just get really into what you can when possible. I think there's this thing culturally where people are discouraged from liking their work and taking it seriously. If you're being treated poorly, be aware of that, of course, but even when I was working unloading trucks at a liquor store, I found that taking it seriously and treating the work process as a task to complete as effectively as possible made things a lot smoother.

That said, I DID also quit a job after 3 days this summer because my boss was v. rude to me so maybe take everything I say with a grain of salt.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

This is a bit of a side rant, but it came up to me today and I still have STRONG FEELINGS about it.

I think it's absurd when people act like not liking things is cool. People who like things have a happier life than people who don't like things. There's things that other people are REALLY INTO that I'm not, and I appreciate their passion and I hope that they are able to consistently pursue their interests. I'm not really a fan of poetry, but I've gone to poetry readings where my friends read a poem, and I applauded and tried to appreciate the use of language and pausing. It's really not my thing, but snarking at it or dismissing it would be appalling.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Actually, I'm cynical, and cool, and it's not a coincidence.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

liking things is cool. being really passionate about things is cool. it only bothers me when people are passionate about really awful and stupid things (white supremacy, becoming a megalomaniacal capitalist, dodgeball, etc.)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Double-posting to say that the new Samurai Jack trailer looks awful.

Blocked

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
samjack was, actually, a not very good cartoon with occasional glimpses of excellence.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
if i never post again it's because i fundamentally misunderstood the tree growing patterns in stardew.

quote this post to see what stardewman you are

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

if i never post again it's because i fundamentally misunderstood the tree growing patterns in stardew.

Do ittttt

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

there is a correct answer here,

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Final Fantasy 3 Mafia has ended in a Light Aligned victory!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

samjack was, actually, a not very good cartoon with occasional glimpses of excellence.

Wtf is wrong with you

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Somberbrero posted:

People keep throwing rocks at my tent

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CCKeane posted:

Do ittttt

you are MAYOR LEWIS because you are OLD and NO ONE LIKES YOUR FACIAL HAIR

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Please everybody, my very fragile mind doesn't allow for other people to dislike things I like. Don't make me otherize you in an attempt to validate my own feelings about media

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Somberbrero posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

there is a correct answer here,

you are SHANE because JESUS CHRIST OBVIOUSLY