Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Holy drunk driver batman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQkOAozKnjE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This evening in downtown Chicago I saw two bicyclists come off the sidewalk, get in the bike lane, and proceed to run a red light from there.

They were police officers.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Holy poo poo, court case on that one must be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Kudos to camera car + support car as well, they did the right thing and remained calm in the situation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

So he made two mistakes, is open and admits he's been at fault, and is looking for advice in affordable insurance... I don't really follow why this is threadworthy?
Because £1600 for a loving diesel Insignia :barf:.

I guess the terrible car stuff thread may have been a better choice.

The Locator posted:

Probably isn't, but he should probably go take a remedial math course if he thinks 160 per month = 1600 per year.
It probably is, because if you pay monthly, they load your premium for it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I expect a diesel isignia is on the high end to insure anyway since so many are rep mobiles that the drivers don't give a poo poo about and stick them in ditches all the time hoping to end their meaningless lives.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

So, I'm down in Ft. Lauderdale and I have to ask: what's the deal with everyone running red lights all the time? And is there a 7-second delay where all directions go red (as opposed to the 2 seconds I'm used to back home) because everyone was running red lights, or is everyone running red lights because they know there's a huge delay?

And what's with the "gently caress you, I'm turning left here!" thing that happens when the light goes green? That's a new one for me...

You're in South Florida, that's what's up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PT6A posted:

And what's with the "gently caress you, I'm turning left here!" thing that happens when the light goes green? That's a new one for me...

Pittsburgh left!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hey that's a Boston left thank you very much :colbert:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

InitialDave posted:

It probably is, because if you pay monthly, they load your premium for it.

That much? The only difference between monthly and per six months for me is a $1 service charge on the monthly payment.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

That much? The only difference between monthly and per six months for me is a $1 service charge on the monthly payment.
UK insurance companies work on the "lube costs extra" model, especially if you're a less than stellar credit proposition for them.

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

kastein posted:

Hey that's a Boston left thank you very much :colbert:

Pretty sure it's a Jersey left.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

For reference. Before I moved the US I was paying around 700 a year for an R34 Skyline GTT running about 550bhp so upgraded turbo, boost controller, bigger intercooler and supporting mods. Currently for a VW Tiguan and my Challenger Scatpack I am paying $1100 per 6 months so $2200 per year which if we want to compare apples to apples at the exchange rate of late 2012 minus inflation etc... takes it to around 1300 pounds per year.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Whenever I get sad that I'm paying more for half coverage (i.e covers everything but I don't get paid for the car if I'm at fault) on my 155hp MiTo than I would for full coverage on a E90 330i I just think of the UK rates.
If anyone is wondering "Wow how can that be?" it's because my car is a pretty rare one and they simply don't have enough data on it to do an accurate prediction. Or so I was told.

Edit: Full coverage for a E90 330i would be $750 a year. Can't complain really. Tax is around $250 a year.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 5, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
While they are a law unto themselves with how they assess risk sometimes, it's not actually that bad if you're on their good side. I can insure a Lambo or similar for about £500 a year.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I pay about $1300 a year give or take for an SUV everyone and their mother owns that can be fixed with a hammer half the time, a relatively common but expensive to get parts for hatchback, and a 150HP motorcycle, with an iffy credit history. The nearly 20 year old SUV has the least insurance coverage on it with just liability and still costs a full third of my rates because everyone and their mother has wrecked one I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_wvXDCQRM&t=19s

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 6, 2017

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

PT6A posted:

So, I'm down in Ft. Lauderdale and I have to ask: what's the deal with everyone running red lights all the time? And is there a 7-second delay where all directions go red (as opposed to the 2 seconds I'm used to back home) because everyone was running red lights, or is everyone running red lights because they know there's a huge delay?

Welcome to my home state. No one gives a gently caress. Don't expert people to stop for crosswalks either.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Haha.. so now not only does he get nailed for the minor hit to the BRZ, but he also gets reamed for damaging that guard-rail and of course the H&R ticket. People are stupid.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

Haha.. so now not only does he get nailed for the minor hit to the BRZ, but he also gets reamed for damaging that guard-rail and of course the H&R ticket. People are stupid.

Per the comments, also a deuce.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nm posted:

Per the comments, also a deuce.

Watched it inline and didn't read the comments, but nice to see that he did indeed get arrested.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Was driving up US-36 the other day, in the leftmost lane going 10 over.

Got cut off by a dilapidated, fart-cannon powered 4th gen Camaro who was within inches of hitting me and the car in the lane to the right, and when I honked he had the gall to flip me off.

I sure wish I had a dashcam to record this one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got buzzed by some snot in a Civic yesterday, I was doing 70 and he blew by 10-20 mph faster than that. Did my mental "gently caress you" and tried to put him out of my mind, but a few seconds later I saw a pair of headlights in my rear view approaching even faster. Turned out to be a state trooper going flat out to catch the kid.

More cops isn't good for anyone but on the other hand it's lovely when you actually get to see assholes ticketed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Saturday: shitlord in a ratty, lifted coal-rolling early 2000s F-250 in front of me had his tails tinted so dark you couldn't tell he was braking, and his third brake light was burned out. This was right at dusk too, can't imagine how bad his truck is during daylight hours. Flashed my highbeams at him and got the predictable cloud of black smoke in response.

Yesterday: kid in a first generation MS3 had a meltdown and planted himself two inches off of my rear bumper when a long string of traffic we were at the end of slowed down in front of us. He ended up trying to pass on a shoulder that was maybe 2' wide (highway down to one lane due to construction), gave up when (I assume) he figured out even if he got around me there were 8 more cars ahead, and resumed raging at me for the next four miles until he exited. Really need to get a bumper sticker that reads "note - I have no control over traffic in front of me."

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 6, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's me. Im the fully loaded car carrier going across three lanes in the space of a quarter mile

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

iospace posted:

It's me. Im the fully loaded car carrier going across three lanes in the space of a quarter mile

This used to be a constant thing where the on-ramp to I35S at Eisenhauer road in San Antonio gives you gently caress all room to get across three lanes for a left exit to go south on 410. It only took four years of construction to half-rear end make that into a right exit, and they aren't even close to being completely finished there.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

Was driving up US-36 the other day, in the leftmost lane going 10 over.

Got cut off by a dilapidated, fart-cannon powered 4th gen Camaro who was within inches of hitting me and the car in the lane to the right, and when I honked he had the gall to flip me off.

I sure wish I had a dashcam to record this one.

Can we assume though that at 10mph over you were in the process of passing the car in the right lane and he simply couldn't wait? We need more details to confirm you were not in fact a left lane blocker.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Geoj posted:

Saturday: shitlord in a ratty, lifted coal-rolling early 2000s F-250 in front of me had his tails tinted so dark you couldn't tell he was braking, and his third brake light was burned out. This was right at dusk too, can't imagine how bad his truck is during daylight hours. Flashed my highbeams at him and got the predictable cloud of black smoke in response.

Yesterday: kid in a first generation MS3 had a meltdown and planted himself two inches off of my rear bumper when a long string of traffic we were at the end of slowed down in front of us. He ended up trying to pass on a shoulder that was maybe 2' wide (highway down to one lane due to construction), gave up when (I assume) he figured out even if he got around me there were 8 more cars ahead, and resumed raging at me for the next four miles until he exited. Really need to get a bumper sticker that reads "note - I have no control over traffic in front of me."

Earlier this morning I had to drive to a client site about 30 minutes away and took the interstate there - on the way, I'm in the passing lane going by a couple cars on the right, and I see a semi coming up behind me pretty quick. Gave a little more gas, got well past the cars on the right and merged over so he could pass me (I was still going much faster than the people I passed so a considerable gap opened up behind me). What does the semi do? Merges behind me, crawls up my rear end to the point he looks like he's maybe 5 feet from my bumper at most, then goes back into the left lane and passes me while giving a death glare. Dude, I was considerate and got over specifically so you could pass me, go gently caress yourself with that bitch attitude.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Pretty sure the dude rage-passing the car already going 10 over is the douche in any possible scenario.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

davebo posted:

Can we assume though that at 10mph over you were in the process of passing the car in the right lane and he simply couldn't wait? We need more details to confirm you were not in fact a left lane blocker.

I mean, I was going relatively fast, yeah. The Camaro guy was going so fast that I didn't even know he was coming up until he was already cutting me off.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I would've pulled up right against his/her rear bumper when he/she hit the bollards to stop them from moving.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

I would've pulled up right against his/her rear bumper when he/she hit the bollards to stop them from moving.

Then you would've had a broken front bumper as well. :v:

Something tells me that rear end in a top hat wouldn't have had too much of a problem slamming reverse to get out of there, especially since it's their second DUI according to the comments. Unless you drive a beater truck with a huge chrome front bumper/some mean-as-hell bull bar, in which case, gently caress 'em up. :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EightBit posted:

This used to be a constant thing where the on-ramp to I35S at Eisenhauer road in San Antonio gives you gently caress all room to get across three lanes for a left exit to go south on 410. It only took four years of construction to half-rear end make that into a right exit, and they aren't even close to being completely finished there.

It also used to be a thing back in what we call the Mitchell Interchange in Milwaukee (T interchange, I-94 goes straight, I-894 branches off at that point) where you'd have to go from the right lane to the left in that span if you wanted to get on 894 coming from the airport. They've fixed it since then so it's all on the right.

In the case I mentioned prior, the last onramp on the left was 3 miles back. This was some idiot trucker waiting for the last second to get over, or not realizing "OH, THIS IS MY EXIT" until he's right on top of it.

Unrelated, someone almost crashed into me today going across the striped white area before the gore point of an exit. I let them know my displeasure via my horn and a certain gesture.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Got honked at by a pickup for slowly creeping through left hand turn on a solid ice intersection because 100% throttle has the same effect as 25% or 0%. got through and checked the mirror and i see the guy at full lock plowing straight on.

Probably the only tough driving i've had with a RWD only vehicle mid winter in years, it's nice to see the 4x4 guys aren't doing any better. The only vehicle that beat me off the light at a few icy red lights was a subaru.

3 days of snow and 2 more to go.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Got honked at by a pickup for slowly creeping through left hand turn on a solid ice intersection because 100% throttle has the same effect as 25% or 0%. got through and checked the mirror and i see the guy at full lock plowing straight on.

Probably the only tough driving i've had with a RWD only vehicle mid winter in years, it's nice to see the 4x4 guys aren't doing any better. The only vehicle that beat me off the light at a few icy red lights was a subaru.

3 days of snow and 2 more to go.

Worst driving in awhile.

There were a few bits where I had to start out in second gear because mashing the gas in first would make my Subaru step out a little sideways on the ice.

Second gear. Can you believe it?

Gets any worse I might have to start feathering the clutch or using less throttle or something.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Phanatic posted:

I've always wanted to open up a combination truck stop and topless club called the Mansfield Bar.
:vince:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
These are the people you share the dunes with:

http://i.imgur.com/7cVcEPm.mp4

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
They're both idiots, right? I dont know desert rules.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That dent on the hood is pretty badass though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I don't know the etiquette on the dunes, but seems to me that if you go flying over a blind crest like that, anything that happens is on you. I like how he flips off the guy who's hood he just ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Why did they have people filming, but no one spotting the landing zone?