Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ein cooler Typ posted:

imagine this same comic except it was about a man who assaulted a female

this is why we need Men's Rights

It's not like I like you or anything, baka!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

You'd think the guy who makes a point of shoe-horning Jim Henson properties in every chance he gets would remember we actually had four channels over the air back then. Or does Nancy live in some horrible place without PBS?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Yes, I admit, I doubted.

I admit, I mocked.

I admit, I laughed.

I would now like to extend a formal and most humble and sincere apology to the writer and artist of The Phantom for not believing in their ability to make a storyline about loving stamps incredible.

Messrs DePaul and Manley, I'm sorry.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

JacquelineDempsey posted:

You'd think the guy who makes a point of shoe-horning Jim Henson properties in every chance he gets would remember we actually had four channels over the air back then. Or does Nancy live in some horrible place without PBS?

I grew up in the 70s and we did have a PBS station, but it was too far away to pick up without a mast antenna. If the weather was right you could, but it was fuzzy as hell.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (November, 2009, click for big)

That tiger!!!! :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mister Kingdom posted:

I grew up in the 70s and we did have a PBS station, but it was too far away to pick up without a mast antenna. If the weather was right you could, but it was fuzzy as hell.

Awww, that sucks. :( My friend had a summer cabin on the St Lawrence River, and I remember being so jealous that she could get a US and a Canadian Sesame Street! Blew my 5 year old mind to watch some of my favorite animated segments in French instead of Spanish.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's kind of amazing how far broadcast TV has come. I recently got an antenna after dumping cable, and it pulls in 48 channels with great picture quality.

I realize a lot of this is from the shift to digital broadcasting, but it's still pretty amazing.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (November, 2009, click for big)

Man, I used to make fun of Locher as much as anybody, but looking back on it this was really artistic.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg

Mandrake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

For comparison, the same strip, as it appeared on May 24th, 1989.

Ripley's

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

16th cousins?! Wow, they were practically brothers!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Darthemed posted:

I'm either failing to spot the difference or failing to get the joke

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Practically everyone is related if you look that far. I bet I'm related to all kinds of famous people if I take a few dozen hops and skips.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Without looking at google maps I can't quite see a path from the glorious DPRK to Norway as described.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

MariusLecter posted:

Without looking at google maps I can't quite see a path from the glorious DPRK to Norway as described.

A small sliver of the DPRK touches Russia.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MariusLecter posted:

My girlfriend is visiting Norway right now. The next time we get in a fight I'll tell her to take a hike.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SomeMathGuy posted:

A small sliver of the DPRK touches Russia.

Believe it or not!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

*You* would certainly be shot crossing the one railway trestle that spans the North Korea/Russia border, but yeah, it's possible I guess.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

The second (and last) full adventure with artist John Burns. He'll split duties in the next episode, but let's not get ahead of ourselves!

Previous Adventures

All the "Modesty Blaise" stories I've served up over the past year are available here:

http://transmodiar.imgur.com/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I'm getting this right that means Cumberbatch and Doyle had a common ancestor right around the time the Thirty Years' War broke out.

It's a nice icebreaker when you're chatting up a Sherlock fan but I think Lone Starr and Dark Helmet have a stronger claim to relation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

YOU can swim from Tierra del Fuego to Kamchatka across just one ocean!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Nenonen posted:

YOU can swim from Tierra del Fuego to Kamchatka across just one ocean!

it's so empowering

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Scrumlord is a way better pun

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Wikipedia

Actual Historical Facts (tm) -- your hallmark of good storytelling!

Oh, and I thought the bottom left panel looked familiar, so I skimmed back a couple months and...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Selachian posted:

Oh, and I thought the bottom left panel looked familiar, so I skimmed back a couple months and...

Edge of AdvenT^Ure

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I think we had 6 channels at least where I grew up. In addition to the big three and PBS, there were a couple local stations that mostly showed old movies and syndicated shows. Those channels later became Fox and eventually (after becoming UPN or WB or whatever) things like the CW.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

It makes sense in Finnish - 'läppä' means joke, wisecrack etc. There's probably an English synonym that would pass but my thesaurus had nothing.

"I've come up with a great retort!"

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

The second (and last) full adventure with artist John Burns. He'll split duties in the next episode, but let's not get ahead of ourselves!

Previous Adventures

All the "Modesty Blaise" stories I've served up over the past year are available here:

http://transmodiar.imgur.com/

And yet another villain begins the quest for the 'suicide by Modesty Blaise' option!

:neckbeard:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tunicate posted:

"I've come up with a great retort!"

Nice!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Selachian posted:

Edge of Wikipedia

Actual Historical Facts (tm) -- your hallmark of good storytelling!

Heres to lovely line work, and a disembodied hand clutching a girly drink.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

More evidence that James Allen, much like Stebe McGarry of Biographic, is a loving tracer who has negatives of somebody higher up in the syndicate that distributes his strip.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

I can sympathize really hard with Sophie's second word balloon in the last panel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should probably get that girl some trauma counselling.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

James Allen didn't draw any of these animals.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

goatface posted:

They should probably get that girl some trauma counselling.

Wasn't the kidnapping trauma enough?

DOHOHOHO

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Baldo complains about the internet in the most basic way.

Big Nate goes into PUA territory

Wizard of Id

Wallace The Brave

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sorry about whatever stupid internet comment blew up in your face, Baldo writer and/or artist

• Locked thread