Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

shut up blegum posted:

Exactly. However Dirt Rally isn't exactly what I'd call a relaxing game :D

I don't know. Even if it is extremely difficult, I find I'm relaxed after I make a clean run and I usually stop there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

NNick posted:

Comparing RE1 versus MGS2 is a good example. Those two games share far more in common gameplay wise than RE1 and RE7. They are both action games, fixed camera, tank controls, etc. If we only defined games by their gameplay, then either MGS2 is horror or RE1 is tactical espionage. Clearly, that doesn't work.

RE1 is more adventure game than action game, and MGS2 does not have a fixed camera or tank controls. Buddy what are you smoking

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

NNick posted:

Bloodborne is 100% a horror game. Not because it is 'horrific' (I don't think it is), but because of its setting, monsters, story, etc. Many people consider it a ode to Lovecraft.

Anyone who thinks Bloodborne isn't a horror game is a loving goober.

Everything in that game is flayed, foreboding, slimy, covered in eyeballs, and screaming at top pitch...ready to kill the player in two hits. The player character is literally drenched in spilled blood, Evil Dead style, for 80% of the game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
MGS2 is a Tactical Espionage Action game, pal

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

RE1 is more adventure game than action game, and MGS2 does not have a fixed camera or tank controls. Buddy what are you smoking

MGS2 has a rail-camera, like God of War. It's fixed in a way, but is definitely its own thing because of the corner peek. Goddamn, now you're reminding me how awesome the corner peek was as a gameplay mechanic in 1998.

I miss the Tenchu games, too.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Horror isn't a genre in games, it's an aesthetic

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

survival horror is a video game genre

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Resident Evil is a horror game where you get in the nightmare's face and kill it, hard

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Resident Evil is a horror game where you get in the nightmare's face and kill it, hard

Nah you swerve around the zombies to save ammo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

survival horror is a video game genre

survival horror is a tagline

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We can all agree that games aren't art

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NNick posted:

I don't think games are reducible to only their gameplay. Horror, like fantasy, sci-fi, thriller or other genres encompass a lot more than gameplay. Resident evil 1, last of us, bloodborne, and resident evil 7 are all horror games but all have distinctly different gameplay.

Comparing RE1 versus MGS2 is a good example. Those two games share far more in common gameplay wise than RE1 and RE7. They are both action games, fixed camera, tank controls, etc. If we only defined games by their gameplay, then either MGS2 is horror or RE1 is tactical espionage. Clearly, that doesn't work.

You're misunderstanding me, or maybe I was misleading by saying 'gameplay'. I didn't mean just the gameplay, but still the horror genre in books is fundamentally different from the horror genre in games, even ignoring mechanics. I don't think they're reducible to only their gameplay either, I mean they are but then you're ignoring the theming and how much that reinforces the mechanics, which is very key to game design.

NNick posted:

tl;dr horror isn't a gameplay or mechanic genre

That's exactly what I was saying. "Horror Fiction" is a book genre that isn't the same thing as "horror games". You can have an FPS game with fiction-horror elements (Blood) but its not a horror game.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

But it IS a genre in games too. Its just they're not the same thing. Just because the same word is used to describe them doesn't mean they're the same thing; they exist in different contexts.

"Horror" and "Horror" are effectively homophones, meaning depending upon the context of what you're talking about.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Calling horror games horror games is like calling other games fun games, it can be accurate but tell you more about the impression they make rather than how they play.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

MGS2 has a rail-camera, like God of War. It's fixed in a way, but is definitely its own thing because of the corner peek. Goddamn, now you're reminding me how awesome the corner peek was as a gameplay mechanic in 1998.

It also has first-person!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Okay so yesterday my step-dad switched our Internet provider(from Frontier to Spectrum) and unfortunately our Internet strength went right down the toilet, which sucks cause it wasn't very good in the first place, before I'd average 1 to 5 MBPS on download speed for my PS4(not very good admittedly but it would suffice as long as no one else was doing any streaming), now it won't even crack 100 KBPS, anyone have any good suggestions to possibly fix this before I have to spend a bunch of money on a pair of Powerline adapters, and before you ask, just using an Ethernet cord isn't an option, the Playstation and our router are on opposite sides of the house

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So your wireless router changed? It might be worth wiring it with a temporary setup to at least confirm the wireless signal is the issue.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

drrockso20 posted:

Okay so yesterday my step-dad switched our Internet provider(from Frontier to Spectrum) and unfortunately our Internet strength went right down the toilet, which sucks cause it wasn't very good in the first place, before I'd average 1 to 5 MBPS on download speed for my PS4(not very good admittedly but it would suffice as long as no one else was doing any streaming), now it won't even crack 100 KBPS, anyone have any good suggestions to possibly fix this before I have to spend a bunch of money on a pair of Powerline adapters, and before you ask, just using an Ethernet cord isn't an option, the Playstation and our router are on opposite sides of the house

When you switched over, are you using a different modem/router now?

99% of the time, the stuff ISPs give you is absolutely dogshit. You have a couple of options. Roll your own modem and router. I think Spectrum doesn't charge a rental fee, so you can just roll a different router.

If that doesn't work, go the power line route. I did that for a while until I upgraded to a PS4 Pro and it worked fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

acksplode posted:

Calling horror games horror games is like calling other games fun games, it can be accurate but tell you more about the impression they make rather than how they play.

Fundamentally RE5 and RE1 are different genres of games. RE5 isn't a 'horror' game, its an action game, but by comparison RE1 totally is. You can call it "Survival Horror" instead, but "survival" is its own genre of games like Rust and ARK and all those early access shits. So it seems kinda silly to say "Horror isn't a genre but 'survival-horror' is". Like, can't we just call that horror for short? Honestly.

Its not the same because pretty much all games try to be fun. Not all games are about spooking you and stressing you with limited resources and putting you in environments where you're outnumbered and probably can't beat everything and should run and hide. Saying "horror" communicates all that in one word, which is the point of genres. "fun" doesn't.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The one thing Steep needs is for the devs to have one of those "we hear you!" Moments when they completely overhaul the snowboard and skiing controls/mechanics to be more like what we'd expect.

This is like modern FPS's that venture too far from standardized and accepted FPS controls. I wanted to love Steep but it lacked something in the feels.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

drrockso20 posted:

I don't know what you thought they cost but here's a pair of well-reviewed power line adapters for $22.99 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-9qMyb4VX8N5F

edit: otherwise yeah the other answer is probably to buy a better router than the stock one your cable company provided you and that's gonna cost a lot more than $22

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also, while I have the floor; I think David Jaffe needs to retire.

He's like somebody's heavy metal uncle who jumps out whenever you have guests over, throwing up devil horns and sticking his tongue out like KISS.

Is there anyone who is excited by Drawn to Death??

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

How big is the install and patch on DOOM? I've been wanting to replay it, but I heard it's up to like 80-90 GB?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh good, horror game discussion.

The "horror" genre of games has always been a weird contradiction in the world of games. The first Alone in the Dark game is a clunky mess, rife with instant kills and tons of ways to screw yourself over.

The thing is, that was basically what adventure games of the era were doing as a matter of course. What made Alone in the Dark scary was that it was aggressive and unforgiving in all of its challenges, and the interface gave players the feeling of limitation when it came to dealing with enemies or obstacles. Overall it made the player feel not just challenged, but rather helpless.

Horror, though, works in video games on several levels. The best way to develop horror in a game is to create strong amounts of tension. Enemies or obstacles should all be extremely dire threats, and failure should be a harsh punishment that is unpleasant to undergo. Bloodborne creates this tension, but I do not think Bloodborne wants to be a horror title in that same vein.

Alien: Isolation is a great example of a horror game where the fear is communicated through the gameplay. Every gameplay facet in that game is in some way designed to help generate tension, even if it's just the sound effects of your motion detector or the scraping noise when you enter a locker. Every time you are killed by the alien you have to endure a reasonably brutal death animation that can't be skipped. They're never too long, but they're all rather horrific, tragic, and they make you feel badly for losing, thus salting the wound. The game relies on save points, so only player skill and good luck can consistently take you from checkpoint to checkpoint. It establishes a power dynamic between the player and the monster, and you aren't taken out of it by getting the ability to kill or even really fight the Alien. At best you have a somewhat random chance of scaring it away with a flamethrower burst, a very temporary measure.

Fatal Frame is great for this as well, encouraging the player to enter high risk situations for the best combat advantage. Overall, building tension and executing stern punishment on the player is the cornerstone of horror games. Bloodborne's gameplay style encourages, or wants to encourage, experimentation, and so frequent deaths is expected in Souls games. Bloodborne punished you most strongly for death outside of Demon's Souls, but I do not think the game's challenges are intended to be cleared on your first go, so this is actually more a failure on the game's part than a success. It still manages to breed a powerfully frightening atmosphere and back it up with gameplay teeth as well.

Horror games should never, preferably, have a set "genre". Survival-horror got bastardized enough that it just became action, and the new era seems to have seized upon first person viewpoints, which is an exciting direction the genre has always hinted towards but not quite realized.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Soul Glo posted:

How big is the install and patch on DOOM? I've been wanting to replay it, but I heard it's up to like 80-90 GB?

When I played it a few months back it was something like 68 GB in full.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

It is loving enormous, yeah.

From a fresh disc install, the patch download is 28.685 gigs, I'm not sure on the exact final size but it's 80-something gigs.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Ugh. Be pretty swell if they'd let me opt out of multiplayer patches. Probably won't bother in that case.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

It also has first-person!

Intrusion Mode!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

univbee posted:

So your wireless router changed? It might be worth wiring it with a temporary setup to at least confirm the wireless signal is the issue.

I can confirm it because it's worse on my laptop in the same room as well(went from about 20 MBPS down to around 10 MBPS)

Oddly enough it's mostly affecting my DL speed negatively, my upload speed hasn't really changed much(indeed it's often improved from before)

Jose Oquendo posted:

When you switched over, are you using a different modem/router now?

99% of the time, the stuff ISPs give you is absolutely dogshit. You have a couple of options. Roll your own modem and router. I think Spectrum doesn't charge a rental fee, so you can just roll a different router.

If that doesn't work, go the power line route. I did that for a while until I upgraded to a PS4 Pro and it worked fine.

Last time we tried using a router that wasn't given by our provider it didn't work worth crap(and that was a top of the line router my brother gave us), so not really an option

So yeah it looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy the Powerline adapters, hopefully our house is wired properly so it'll work

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

I can confirm it because it's worse on my laptop in the same room as well(went from about 20 MBPS down to around 10 MBPS)

Oddly enough it's mostly affecting my DL speed negatively, my upload speed hasn't really changed much(indeed it's often improved from before)

Last time we tried using a router that wasn't given by our provider it didn't work worth crap(and that was a top of the line router my brother gave us), so not really an option

So yeah it looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy the Powerline adapters, hopefully our house is wired properly so it'll work

Also forgot to mention I did some speed tests closer to the router with my laptop and in the same room as it I got like 46 MBPS, so the adapter should hopefully work

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

goferchan posted:

I don't know what you thought they cost but here's a pair of well-reviewed power line adapters for $22.99 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-9qMyb4VX8N5F

edit: otherwise yeah the other answer is probably to buy a better router than the stock one your cable company provided you and that's gonna cost a lot more than $22

Just ordered that exact set(and a 20 foot Ethernet cord to use with the one I'll be connecting my PS4 to)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Still not sure how I feel about Ghost Recon. Definitely has some issues, combat is too thin, world is too serious.... but I did have a few fun moments, like this spontaneous slaughter with random pubbies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtpngGuUOOA

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lol this is timely: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hideo-kojima-explains-why-hes-done-making-horror-g/1100-6447604/

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ive actually thought about the subject of "horror games" a lot, mostly in the context of discussing whether or not the later resident evils count, which mostly centered around people making arguments for why 4 was but 5 and 6 weren't, which was mostly just hair splitting feelings based nonsense because most of the reasons people say they hate 5 and 6 also apply to 4. ANYWAYS, there isnt actually a "horror" genre of games, they don't easily fit into the same play style and one group isnt more authentic than any other. amnesia/soma are not like silent hill 2, but they're definitely all three horror games. i find that mostly people seem invested in arguing what is or isnt a horror game to keep stuff they personally dont like out of their playground, and that its pretty much meaningless.

of course this argument isnt limited to games, arguing about whether alien is a horror movie has been going on forever.

for the record i dont think you could stretch the definition far enough to include halo. the souls series is a little tougher, i can definitely see surrealist horror in a lot of demons souls setting, for instance, and bloodborne is undeniable and owes a lot to victorian horror stuff.

acksplode posted:

yeah, people really dont like that idea for some reason but if you've ever watched a resident evil speed run or just played the game a shitload when you were a kid with nothing better to do you would agree that resident evil is all about memorizing where stuff is and avoiding things/taking efficient routes.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

this is definitely true

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
My PSN friends list and other features have not been working since 8pm est. I'm so scared you guys. Life is the real horror game.

The funimation app works fine so I can watch anime and pretend everything is fine.

edit: actually Titanfall 2 is working fine as well. Is anyone else not able to see their friends list?

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 7, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hideo Kojima posted:

"But while in that process, we're constantly imagining, like, terrifying situations so it ends up giving me bad dreams," he added.

This is loving hilarious. Now I'm just thinking of him constantly terrified for the last, uh, 15 years of making Silent Hill or whatever.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I pre-ordered Nioh. I almost made it, but I learned nothing from NMS.

Actually, Team Ninja was great with the alpha and beta play time and giving copies to review sites early without any limitations so I k jw what I'm in for and feel pretty good about the choice.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

SamuraiPaul posted:

My PSN friends list and other features have not been working since 8pm est. I'm so scared you guys. Life is the real horror game.

The funimation app works fine so I can watch anime and pretend everything is fine.

edit: actually Titanfall 2 is working fine as well. Is anyone else not able to see their friends list?

I came here to ask the same thing. Everything else looks fine but I can't see friends.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
why would they do this to me? Playstation is the only place I have friends.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

I didn't get that impression from RE7, but I was playing it in VR. From what I saw of the prerendered cinematics (where the VR backs out to cinema mode) there are a lot of effects that get silently disabled in the name of comfort.

Of course the visor itself more than makes up for the missing animations in terms of occupying space in the game.

I was curious as to why I was fine with RE7 and found Here They Lie to be the most vomit inducing VR game ever, despite their similarities. Had I just gotten used to it? Would I be fine with Here they Lie now? Nope. Still wanted to puke and this was the exact reason. The character sways like it's a human body and it is the most seasick inducing thing I've ever seen in VR. RE7 must have gone through a ton of trial and error compared to most VR games to make it as palatable as it is.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

SamuraiPaul posted:

I could see my list for a little while but trying to access profiles shot back an error and now I can't get the list to load at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

rabidsquid posted:

ive actually thought about the subject of "horror games" a lot, mostly in the context of discussing whether or not the later resident evils count, which mostly centered around people making arguments for why 4 was but 5 and 6 weren't, which was mostly just hair splitting feelings based nonsense because most of the reasons people say they hate 5 and 6 also apply to 4. ANYWAYS, there isnt actually a "horror" genre of games, they don't easily fit into the same play style and one group isnt more authentic than any other. amnesia/soma are not like silent hill 2, but they're definitely all three horror games. i find that mostly people seem invested in arguing what is or isnt a horror game to keep stuff they personally dont like out of their playground, and that its pretty much meaningless.

of course this argument isnt limited to games, arguing about whether alien is a horror movie has been going on forever.

for the record i dont think you could stretch the definition far enough to include halo. the souls series is a little tougher, i can definitely see surrealist horror in a lot of demons souls setting, for instance, and bloodborne is undeniable and owes a lot to victorian horror stuff.

yeah, people really dont like that idea for some reason but if you've ever watched a resident evil speed run or just played the game a shitload when you were a kid with nothing better to do you would agree that resident evil is all about memorizing where stuff is and avoiding things/taking efficient routes.

this is definitely true

Hair splitting. 4 makes me constantly scared I will die and my goal is survival. 5 and 6 make me feel like my goal is to shoot zambies and experience crazy set piece explosions.