Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
I have been hemming and hawing over what pop up toaster to get. I think many here prefer toaster oven's to pop up toasters so I suppose id take recommendations on both. I find the pop up toaster a bit more appealing as it takes up less counter space, looks nicer and is easier to clean. It's less versatile but I don't really run into times when I think to myself that using the oven would be more of a pain than a toaster oven.

A few years ago I overhauled my kitchen and replaced all my cheap stuff I had gotten for free from relatives or at thrift stores with either mid tier or high tier appliances, pots and pans and it feels weird to put a cheap toaster in the middle of all that. I've been looking at the KitchenAid Pro Line toasters but spending $300-400 on a machine just to toast things just seems disgustingly excessive.

Please talk me out of this stupid purchase and/or recommend a good pop up toaster or toaster oven.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Good toaster: Oster Jelly Bean. If you want to spend more, the Brevilles are nice. The ridiculously expensive KA prolines and DualIts are under no circumstances in any way worth the premium.

For toaster ovens, spending the extra on a Breville Smart Oven is absolutely worth it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Holy loving poo poo Kitchenaid wants $350 for a loving pop-up toaster?

If you want a great toaster oven that has convection, can cook a whole 6 pound chicken, 6 slices of toast, a 13 inch pizza or a small roast and functions as a second oven, get you a Breville Smart Oven ($250 on amazon, maybe cheaper at Bed Bath and Beyond with coupon):
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV800XL-1800-Watt-Convection-Toaster/dp/B001L5TVGW

If you want all that plus an interior light for $268, get the newer Breville Smart Oven:
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV...le+toaster+oven

If you can live without convection, and want an oven that can do a whole 6 pound chicken, 4 slices of bread, a 12 inch pizza or a small flat roast, get the Breville Compact Smart Oven ($170 on amazon, maybe cheaper at Bed Bath and Beyond with coupon)
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV...ville+mini+oven

If you want a small toaster oven that does 4 slices, an 11 inch pizza or a whole small (4 pound) chicken, get the Breville Mini Smart Oven ($120 on amazon)
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV...ville+mini+oven

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 2, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If you're gonna spend that kind of money on a toaster, get a Hatco or Waring Pro.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I got a $30 countertop oven from a Chinese brand that's 50% bigger than the Breville Smart Oven and it works fine. I even cooked a 14 pound turkey in it this Thanksgiving.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
who are the experts? serious.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
kitchenaid is good enough for mixing/crushing ice and doughing.

ripping poo poo apart needs rpms. Robo all the way.

Convince your employer to keep it's blades sharp, realize they paid too much for etc so no, plastic
safety cover will not work properly after being used constantly, machine blade is dull as gently caress (sometimes to a good dull)

Jam a loving bamboo skewer into it to make it work.

maybe i missed a thread about machine faults

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Water777 posted:

kitchenaid is good enough for mixing/crushing ice and doughing.

ripping poo poo apart needs rpms. Robo all the way.

Convince your employer to keep it's blades sharp, realize they paid too much for etc so no, plastic
safety cover will not work properly after being used constantly, machine blade is dull as gently caress (sometimes to a good dull)

Jam a loving bamboo skewer into it to make it work.

maybe i missed a thread about machine faults

I have no idea what's going on here

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Drunk post?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

whatupdet posted:

Drunk post?

That's what my money's on. I can kinda see where he was going? Maybe?

RE: Toasters. You might not think of a time you'd want a toaster oven until you own one and then you can't really imagine going back to a pop up toaster IMHO.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm debating between buying a pop up toaster and toaster oven, does it take much longer to make toast in a toaster oven vs pop up toaster?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's a more even toast in my experience. Perhaps not if you're only dropping 15.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do people use to keep cutting boards in place? I have a big wooden board and smooth counters, and it wants to slide all over the place. I had wet paper towels under it for a while, but I think the wood absorbed the water a warped a bit. I tried an Amazon silpat-alike but it didn't keep it from rotating. It's driving me crazy.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Subjunctive posted:

What do people use to keep cutting boards in place? I have a big wooden board and smooth counters, and it wants to slide all over the place. I had wet paper towels under it for a while, but I think the wood absorbed the water a warped a bit. I tried an Amazon silpat-alike but it didn't keep it from rotating. It's driving me crazy.

Wet paper towels can work sometimes but I find that a wet kitchen towel or wet hand towel works much better.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Subjunctive posted:

I've been using these things I found at Dollar Tree -

I can't remember if they were labelled as "coasters" or "jar openers" but they work great for such a cheap solution. Seem to be just circles of this stuff -

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I use a silicone hot pad, a lot thicker than a silpat, and with bumps. You might need to use more than one if your board is bigger.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Rubber o-rings from canning jars under each corner.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

it's a more even toast in my experience. Perhaps not if you're only dropping 15.
I was planning to drop about $60CAD if it was a pop-up toaster or under $200CAD for a toaster oven.

Thoht posted:

Rubber o-rings from canning jars under each corner.
This.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks, this is all very helpful.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

A damp kitchen rag (especially when you have dozens of them at your disposal) does the trick.

As a pro tip: sanitize the rag (wet it) in food friendly sanitzer so you can flip the board over to to meat/veg. (start with veg always) then rinse the rag in the same solution
after you finish to clean the prep area.

If you're using wood boards then you have to mineral oil them to prevent moisture warping it. I'd recommend plastic. It's cheap and easily replaceable, low maintenance and has a lower risk of
harboring bacteria since moisture can't penetrate it beyond the grooves you cut into it with a knife. Also they fit in a conventional dishwasher.

Wood boards are cool tho'. a lot of old butcher's blocks that were solid 4x4 tree trunks of wood have character. They just need a lot of care.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

More like work griping than drunkposting.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Water777 posted:

A damp kitchen rag (especially when you have dozens of them at your disposal) does the trick.

As a pro tip: sanitize the rag (wet it) in food friendly sanitzer so you can flip the board over to to meat/veg. (start with veg always) then rinse the rag in the same solution
after you finish to clean the prep area.

If you're using wood boards then you have to mineral oil them to prevent moisture warping it. I'd recommend plastic. It's cheap and easily replaceable, low maintenance and has a lower risk of
harboring bacteria since moisture can't penetrate it beyond the grooves you cut into it with a knife. Also they fit in a conventional dishwasher.

Wood boards are cool tho'. a lot of old butcher's blocks that were solid 4x4 tree trunks of wood have character. They just need a lot of care.

As long as you wash and dry your wood cutting boards, they are safe for anything. Wood is naturally antibacterial (when it dries). I agree that if you're cutting a bunch of different things in the same session that plastic is more convenient, but if you're just cutting meat you can use your wood cutting board or butcher block and then wash it and spray it down with white vinegar.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, at this point there have been dozens of repeated experiments showing that wood cutting boards are quite safe and in many cases safer than plastic (i.e. if you don't get the water hot enough).

Turns out that PH is very important for microbe development.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
How common is it to actually get sick from cross contamination issues? I am just atrocious about paying attention to stuff like that and of thus far never really had any bad experiences.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

bongwizzard posted:

How common is it to actually get sick from cross contamination issues? I am just atrocious about paying attention to stuff like that and of thus far never really had any bad experiences.
Honestly maybe I will poison myself one day, but I have never heard of anyone getting sick from their own kitchen without some kind of serious neglect like leaving a raw chicken in the sun for 8 hours. Can someone knowledgeable comment on the incidence of foodborne illness/contamination in home cooking? I'm sure it's hard to identify because it probably goes unreported compared to restaurants. But it's one of those things that, I have a hard time believing that people were constantly giving themselves food poisoning until plastic cutting boards etc. were invented.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm extra careful about avoiding cross contamination at home. Probably more than I need to be, but I've had food poisoning before (from a restaurant) and never ever want to go through that again.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
It's not like I'm thawing chicken breast by sticking them in my armpit, but I can't say that any sort of food safety is even remotely on my radar.

I assume the first time I poison myself I will start caring a little more. I needed had food poisoning from restaurants a couple of times, but somehow I feel invincible when I'm cooking at home.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
To avoid cross contamination, I usually just try to deal with food prep by food group. I'll probably wash and chop up all my veggies first, and set them in a bowl or something. Then I'll get the meat out and start working with that until it's in the pan or oven. After that I don't worry much. I have incredibly limited counter space, so I have to prep meat and non-meats in the same area, but I have yet to make myself sick.

edit: On the topic of plastic cutting boards - I only use them to prep 1 meal and then they go in the dishwasher. Almost never clean them by hand unless I'm in a pinch.

Just this weekend, I unwittingly ate some salmon fettuccini that had been sitting in the fridge for 3 weeks and I'm fine. It's like, really hard to give yourself food poisoning...

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 6, 2017

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

Here's Consumer Reports (from 2010) on chicken: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/how-safe-is-that-chicken/index.htm

The scary part is the widespread antibiotic resistance. So you might not get sick often, but if you do, it could turn into a life-threatening situation.

I've never had food poisoning before, but I still use a cheap 18"x24" Winco poly board dedicated for raw meat. It's not that much extra work for the peace of mind, imo.

Food safety is even more important when you're cooking for others, especially for young or old people, or people with compromised immune systems (e.g., your friend who's recently come down with a case of the sniffles).

Don't poison your dinner guests! They won't come back, lol.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just don't cook chicken.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

Subjunctive posted:

Just don't cook chicken.

But... it's so delicious :shobon:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Also be judicious about leftovers.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Neon Noodle posted:

As long as you wash and dry your wood cutting boards, they are safe for anything. Wood is naturally antibacterial (when it dries). I agree that if you're cutting a bunch of different things in the same session that plastic is more convenient, but if you're just cutting meat you can use your wood cutting board or butcher block and then wash it and spray it down with white vinegar.
you'll need to oil your wooden board regularly also, as wood will warp and/or crack without being properly oiled.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Not 100% sure but I think i had food poisioning last week from some flank steak i got from costco. I think it was in the danger zone in my car for too long before i got home. 2 days in the fridge and then add in the prep time while I trimmed, butterflied it and rolled it up to grill it...perhaps too long in the danger zone?

Either that or i had a 24-36 hour fight against a norovirus.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Neon Noodle posted:

Sure.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

bongwizzard posted:

Today, lol.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Water777 posted:

Today, lol.

Idgi, unless you are a witch and are putting a poop-curse on me.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

bongwizzard posted:

Idgi, unless you are a witch and are putting a poop-curse on me.

wash your hands

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Neon Noodle posted:

As long as you wash and dry your wood cutting boards, they are safe for anything. Wood is naturally antibacterial (when it dries).
Most woods used for cutting boards have mild antimicrobial properties. You should never rely on this to prevent foodborne illness. You should always be properly sanitising your cutting boards regardless of what they're made of, avoid cross-contamination, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BraveUlysses posted:

Not 100% sure but I think i had food poisioning last week from some flank steak i got from costco. I think it was in the danger zone in my car for too long before i got home. 2 days in the fridge and then add in the prep time while I trimmed, butterflied it and rolled it up to grill it...perhaps too long in the danger zone?

Either that or i had a 24-36 hour fight against a norovirus.

I'm late to the party in responding, but doesn't Costco blade tenderize their meats?