Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I think it's more of the novelty of it. He has plenty of squeak toys he goes nuts for. Or did until this one came. Flirt poling is the only reliable thing that distracts him from it.

I can try getting him a new rubber one that he only gets if he ignores the Sophie. Eughh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I was trying to figure out what things she barks at most but it seems pretty random. She's generally pretty chill inside. She barks when the upstairs neighbor comes and goes, which only bugs me because we work different shifts so her barking wakes me up. It's a different story when we go out, she'll bark at all sorts of random things.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

GoodBee posted:

I was trying to figure out what things she barks at most but it seems pretty random. She's generally pretty chill inside. She barks when the upstairs neighbor comes and goes, which only bugs me because we work different shifts so her barking wakes me up. It's a different story when we go out, she'll bark at all sorts of random things.

I got my dog when she was around 7 months old and she never barked at all, at anything. Four or five months later and she barked for the first time at something and she sounds like cerberus. Now she barks...a bit. I feel like she barks less than she did when she firsts started barking, but still she will bark now, especially at other filthy dogs.

She did the same bark thing when people came home to the apartment upstairs, but she's kind of a nervous dog so as soon as I noticed them coming home I would get her to lay down and feed her treats and kibble. Now she doesn't mind people going upstairs. I have no real good advice to give you about your dog barking at everything out in public, however.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
We'll be picking up our first puppy in a long time this March, I ordered him a Fluff & Tuff stuffed tiger to give him a cuddly toy to bond with, hopefully it's as tough as Fluff & Tuff says they are.

It has a squeaker in it though, what's the verdict on squeaker vs no squeaker? Will the squeaker make it want to destroy its stuffy or not a big deal?

Also thanks for the dogstardaily links in the OP, that info is invaluable, I read Before and After you get your puppy then joined the site to see the rest, can't recommend it enough.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hello dog thread friends! I'm in a relationship and have recently become the companion of two wonderful dogs. Both dogs are mutts from a local shelter.

This is Melvin:

He is 12 years old, 6 of which have been with my partner. I call him Gremlin Gooddog a lot. Maybe a schnauzer/pug mix. Very very scrappy, would love to fight the moles and the opossum in the yard.

This is Tasha:

Tasha is 6 years old and has been with my partner 6 months. She was returned to the shelter twice and doesn't seem to have been given much obedience training before she came here. A shepherd mix of some kind with comically short legs. She is very sweet, and food motivated.

I work from home, so since I've been staying here, the dogs and I have been running and training every day together. I'll probably have questions later but am just reviewing my basic training skills and wanted to introduce myself and the pups! I'm a long time lurker so I am glad to have some dogs to post!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
180% of a dog's problems can be solved by giving them more exercise. Its great that you can run with them everday.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How bad is a chow chow for a first time owner? Should I just stick with some easier to train and low maintenance?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I was recently made aware of the Spanish Galgo's (and how they're treated!!).
Anyone here have any experience with them? We're talking about adopting one.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Ulio posted:

How bad is a chow chow for a first time owner? Should I just stick with some easier to train and low maintenance?

It's not a great dog for people who haven't done their research. The same can be said about any primitive breed. If you're realistic and research the poo poo out of the breed, and understand a chow won't be like a Labrador in terms of affection, and socialize the hell of it, you could be fine.

Basically, when looking into a breed, you should look at their worst traits and think if you pulled that card if you could deal with it.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
We loving suck at potty training. Our 11 week old puppy's favorite move is to go outside, pee, get a ton of treats and Good Dogs. Then, she plays for five minutes, and pisses on the floor right in front of our stupid faces. We then take her back outside and repeat step 1.

She never pees in her crate and only has to be let out once in the middle of the night. She just doesn't get rid of all the pee when she goes outside. She's never pooped inside but man oh man does she love to pee in the house.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Have you tried giving her a firm "no!" When she's peeing in front of you?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

My dog didn't start asking to go out until she was like 5 months old. We just had to take her out constantly to avoid everything being pissed on.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I got a cat who is brave and sweet and has hissed at my basset like 3 times when they've been in eyesight, the more recent times they've seen each other not even a hiss. No clawing or anything. He is absolutely deathly afraid of her. Any advice to ease a dog into an adult cat who seems pretty chill. I think by EOW she will be roaming the whole apartment and I don't want him to have a heart attack.

This is a dog who is so cowardly that when I got a bike he refused to go into that portion of the apartment and peed/pooed in the bathroom to avoid said bike rather than ask to go out and see the bike.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 7, 2017

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

bamhand posted:

Have you tried giving her a firm "no!" When she's peeing in front of you?

Intimidating/verbally punishing dogs when they pee inside can work out, but it can also have really bad consequences. Lots of people will tell you this. Anecdotal evidence: when I was younger, my parents (who know nothing of dog training) constantly used verbal punishments on a dachshund puppy for peeing inside. They ended up giving her away because she would get really afraid (and ironically pee a little) whenever anyone said anything to her.

I'm convinced that the safest way to potty train is by just being very observant, not creating a lot of opportunities to have accidents, being very fast at carrying your puppy outside if she does have an accident, and never punishing the puppy for having an accident. It can be exhausting but it works.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

sunaurus posted:

Intimidating/verbally punishing dogs when they pee inside can work out, but it can also have really bad consequences. Lots of people will tell you this. Anecdotal evidence: when I was younger, my parents (who know nothing of dog training) constantly used verbal punishments on a dachshund puppy for peeing inside. They ended up giving her away because she would get really afraid (and ironically pee a little) whenever anyone said anything to her.

I'm convinced that the safest way to potty train is by just being very observant, not creating a lot of opportunities to have accidents, being very fast at carrying your puppy outside if she does have an accident, and never punishing the puppy for having an accident. It can be exhausting but it works.

Yeah, my family dog was constantly punished for accidents and she ended up running away to hide when she needed to use the washroom outside. My mom still goes on about how modest she was and how she didn't want people to look at her when she did her business, uh huh.

Anyway, I think it just takes patience, lots of patience.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Aggro posted:

We loving suck at potty training. Our 11 week old puppy's favorite move is to go outside, pee, get a ton of treats and Good Dogs. Then, she plays for five minutes, and pisses on the floor right in front of our stupid faces. We then take her back outside and repeat step 1.

She never pees in her crate and only has to be let out once in the middle of the night. She just doesn't get rid of all the pee when she goes outside. She's never pooped inside but man oh man does she love to pee in the house.

You are not doing that badly. Some thoughts:

1) At 12/13 weeks they can go about 8 hours between peeing when crated. Be prepared to deal with some whining when you don't let her out at 1 am
2) If you know she's going to pee after playing, why aren't you taking her out again?
3) Puppies don't really have bladder control, especially when they are running around. When they pee inside, it's usually the owners fault for not being perfect. (you won't always be perfect, so don't blame the dog when an accident happens)

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My dog woke me up today because she was making small, worried woofs and pacing around. She nose booped the Xbox again and ejected the disk tray. This is apparently very worrying.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My dog (1.5 year old vizsla) bit someone yesterday. We went into the pet store to grab some new treats and a few things. It wasn't very busy and several people came up to pet him without any issues. He was incredibly well behaved, not pulling, not trying to grab treats or toys.

We were rounding a corner into another aisle which was a narrow space and this family of three also came around towards us. I had my dog on the opposite side as the family trying to create a buffer. Nothing really raised any flags at first. The kid reached out to pet my dog and then he lunged at the kid. He wasn't snarling or showing teeth, he didn't even bark. He nipped the kids butt from what I could see, he didn't hold on to him or anything, just a quick playful nip and he backed off. The husband stepped towards his son and as we continued to walk past my dog grabbed the back tail of the guys shirt. I feel like it might have been play driven, like when he plays chase/hide and go seek with other dogs and they pop around a corner and play tag of sorts.

There was no growling, no teeth, no aggressive gabbing or thrashing. The kid barely noticed anything even happened and wasnt crying or bleeding or anything, apparently not even any marks according to the parents.

I was mortified. I was worried the kid was hurt. Then I started to worry about getting sued or having to put my dog down.

My wife talked to the family while I took my dog to a separate area. The family was upset but understanding. We exchanged numbers and stuff and we checked to make sure the boy was okay. One of the employees came by and asked what happened. Luckily he was also the trainer that we worked with when our dog was younger so he's familiar with Stanley.

He asked us what happened and was really surprised since he knows our dog well and knows that aggression is not a common issue. We're going to do some more training classes, work on sitting to meet people, ignoring distractions and focusing on us and our commands.

Stanley gets lots of socialization with other dogs and people alike, daily (1-2 hour) off leash dog park trips and leashed walks. Doggy day care when we're really busy. He's never been aggressive, hes only ever reacted if another dog attacked him. He doesn't get a lot of interaction with kids since we don't have any and neither do our friends. I'm afraid he gets nervous around them and has a hard time reading their body language. I don't horse around with him or wrestle so he knows that people aren't toys or play things. He doesn't jump and has otherwise great manners. I think kids just give of a nervous energy around dogs, especially bigger breeds.

We'll go through more training. I don't want a dog that bites and everything that comes along with that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Aggro posted:

You are still real early in the potty training game, and none of that is anything out of the ordinary. My puppy did a lot of the same things for at least the first three months of his life, and it still took work beyond that.

The same supposedly housebroken now 8 month old just today pissed on the scale at the vet's, then again in the exam room five minutes later (to be fair, he LOVES his vet and was excited to see her), and then at home pissed a gallon onto the couch. :shrug:

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Oh god don't ttell me that

Today she stopped playing and started sniffing at the floor. We quickly scooped her up and took her outside. She peed and got all the treats. So apparently we just have to pick up in the two second warning she gives us. If she's not playing or chewing, she gon' pee.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Aggro posted:

Oh god don't ttell me that

Today she stopped playing and started sniffing at the floor. We quickly scooped her up and took her outside. She peed and got all the treats. So apparently we just have to pick up in the two second warning she gives us. If she's not playing or chewing, she gon' pee.

You're on the right track. Just keep watching her like a hawk; the second she makes a move, out she goes. Eventually, she'll get the hint and start improving. Just don't be surprised if it's another month or so before you start seeing major improvement, but all dogs are different so YMMV. Also, with my pup, we had much better success once we started "ignoring" her accidents. In other words, if she does have one in the house, don't scold or make a fuss, just bring her right outside. Scolding can sometimes lead to them being frightened of you seeing them pee, and they'll just do it out of your sight, rather than ask to go outside.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
So, more on the topic of outside business, my 9 month old hound has developed a taste for poop. A few weeks ago I saw her fussing with something out in the yard, and went to see what it was. Apparently, I had missed picking up a poop the night before and it had frozen over night. I gave her a "no!" and bagged it up. Since then I've been pretty adamant about making sure I get them all, but still occasionally miss one and catch her chowing down. Up until two days ago it was just frozen ones, but now she's decided that not only is fresh OK, but her own are just as good as her brother's. (Thankfully, he hasn't picked up the habit. He did investigate what she was doing once, but realized it was poop and walked away. )

Now I'm literally following them both around with a roll of poo bags so I can clean up before she gets to it. She's also obsessing over it and asking to go outside just so she can look for turds. Any ideas what's causing this horror and what I can do besides reprimands and following them around waiting for them to poop.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Super Grocery Kart posted:

So, more on the topic of outside business, my 9 month old hound has developed a taste for poop. A few weeks ago I saw her fussing with something out in the yard, and went to see what it was. Apparently, I had missed picking up a poop the night before and it had frozen over night. I gave her a "no!" and bagged it up. Since then I've been pretty adamant about making sure I get them all, but still occasionally miss one and catch her chowing down. Up until two days ago it was just frozen ones, but now she's decided that not only is fresh OK, but her own are just as good as her brother's. (Thankfully, he hasn't picked up the habit. He did investigate what she was doing once, but realized it was poop and walked away. )

Now I'm literally following them both around with a roll of poo bags so I can clean up before she gets to it. She's also obsessing over it and asking to go outside just so she can look for turds. Any ideas what's causing this horror and what I can do besides reprimands and following them around waiting for them to poop.

Dogs love to eat poop. When my dog first started doing this I was distressed and tried pouring hot sauce onto a poop and letting her out at night when I knew was her favoured poo snacking time. She ate it right up. Ok, I thought, I'll just pour a quarter cup of cayenne on this other one and she'll never eat a poo again. Turns out my dog loves spicy poo. I think she licked the ground clean.

Anyway, sometimes it can be a sign that they have some sort of illness, but I am not a vet. These days she will eat her own poo once in a while. Like...once every couple weeks. I discourage her by redirecting her attention and obviously cleaning up the poo as much as possible. I actually don't mind that she does it in theory, but I just don't want her eating strange poos out in the wild and getting parasites.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tsyni posted:

Dogs love to eat poop. When my dog first started doing this I was distressed and tried pouring hot sauce onto a poop and letting her out at night when I knew was her favoured poo snacking time. She ate it right up. Ok, I thought, I'll just pour a quarter cup of cayenne on this other one and she'll never eat a poo again. Turns out my dog loves spicy poo. I think she licked the ground clean.

Anyway, sometimes it can be a sign that they have some sort of illness, but I am not a vet. These days she will eat her own poo once in a while. Like...once every couple weeks. I discourage her by redirecting her attention and obviously cleaning up the poo as much as possible. I actually don't mind that she does it in theory, but I just don't want her eating strange poos out in the wild and getting parasites.

Yeah, understood. I guess the reason it probably bothers me so much- other than being gross and potentially dangerous if she eats strange poo- is that she is such a snugly affectionate dog who loves to give kisses. So now her patented smother-you-in-doggy-love move is less endearing knowing that she might have just munched a dook outside. The way she's getting obsessed with it troubling as well, because her "leave it/drop its" are usually pretty solid, except for now for poop she is completely ignoring me. She just had a vet checkup recently and she was the picture of health. Google says that some dogs may eat poop due to a vitamin B deficiency, but her diet is pretty balanced, quality food/treats, occasional plain meat or chicken, etc. I guess I'll just keep trying to keep one step ahead of her and then bring it up with her vet next time.

Bonus pic of her getting annoyed by her chompy brother.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, understood. I guess the reason it probably bothers me so much- other than being gross and potentially dangerous if she eats strange poo- is that she is such a snugly affectionate dog who loves to give kisses. So now her patented smother-you-in-doggy-love move is less endearing knowing that she might have just munched a dook outside. The way she's getting obsessed with it troubling as well, because her "leave it/drop its" are usually pretty solid, except for now for poop she is completely ignoring me. She just had a vet checkup recently and she was the picture of health. Google says that some dogs may eat poop due to a vitamin B deficiency, but her diet is pretty balanced, quality food/treats, occasional plain meat or chicken, etc. I guess I'll just keep trying to keep one step ahead of her and then bring it up with her vet next time.

Bonus pic of her getting annoyed by her chompy brother.

I think it will just take some time using drop it/leave it etc. My dog used to be very interested in the random poo on trails around here, but she's so used to me saying "let go" when she goes near that she barely gives it a sniff now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Verman, muzzle him while out in public and if he's intact then get his nuts lopped off. It's worth investing in the nicest leather cage muzzle you can find, the cheaper fabric ones are a false investment.

I'm thinking about writing a children's book about little dog who barks at random things. Snow, the window in my back door, painting dogs, mirror dogs... but not real dogs for some reason.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I can't find any articles about it but one thing my vet behaviorist does for poop eating dogs (luckily mine is not so I don't have all the details) is to teach the dog to "alert" to poop like a drug dog would alert to drugs. So whenever the dog found delicious poop they sit and wait for their treat for finding poo instead of gobbling it. A really, good solid "leave it" is probably a good idea too.

When I was working at a dog daycare all the dogs loved poop snacks from dogs who ate kibble with corn in it so you might want to evaluate what you're feeding them. Poop from cheap foods with lots of colors and flavoring and corn was like doggie doritos, they couldn't get enough.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I can't find any articles about it but one thing my vet behaviorist does for poop eating dogs (luckily mine is not so I don't have all the details) is to teach the dog to "alert" to poop like a drug dog would alert to drugs. So whenever the dog found delicious poop they sit and wait for their treat for finding poo instead of gobbling it. A really, good solid "leave it" is probably a good idea too.

When I was working at a dog daycare all the dogs loved poop snacks from dogs who ate kibble with corn in it so you might want to evaluate what you're feeding them. Poop from cheap foods with lots of colors and flavoring and corn was like doggie doritos, they couldn't get enough.

The "alert" idea is awesome, thanks! She's very food motivated and loves to play training games, so I think I will start working with her on that.

As far as their food goes, they get high quality stuff with no corn or colors, so that shouldn't be an issue on that end.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Psychobabble! posted:

It's not a great dog for people who haven't done their research. The same can be said about any primitive breed. If you're realistic and research the poo poo out of the breed, and understand a chow won't be like a Labrador in terms of affection, and socialize the hell of it, you could be fine.

Basically, when looking into a breed, you should look at their worst traits and think if you pulled that card if you could deal with it.

Sounds good I will do just that. Thanks.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Please ignore the mess!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

a taste for poop

If you ever get desperate there are coprophagia (poop-eatin') supplements/treats that contain ingredients that make the poop less, uh, palatable for dogs. I've heard mixed results from my customers but the general consensus is that they work pretty well as long as you make sure that all dogs in the household get the treats. There's a small percentage who don't seem to care and will still chow down, but it's worth a shot as they're not particularly expensive and it's still in treat form so if it doesn't work, well, you got some treats out of it. Still definitely work on training first, though!

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Has anyone else done the grass patch potty that dogstardaily's guide recommends?

Seems like a good way to let the puppy have more time in the play area/pen without enforcing floor=potty. If they'll use the washable grass patch, at least they're connecting grass=potty.

I'm not a fan of puppy pads, but this seems like a good idea.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

learnincurve posted:

Verman, muzzle him while out in public and if he's intact then get his nuts lopped off. It's worth investing in the nicest leather cage muzzle you can find, the cheaper fabric ones are a false investment.

Leather ones are definitely nicer and a good investment, but there is nothing wrong with a cloth one, especially for a dog that hasn't had this kind of interaction before.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

wish my dog would stop eating cat poop

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Psychobabble! posted:

Leather ones are definitely nicer and a good investment, but there is nothing wrong with a cloth one, especially for a dog that hasn't had this kind of interaction before.

Cloth muzzles aren't as comfortable for a dog to wear as a basket muzzle because it physically prevents them from opening their mouth, and are meant more for temporary use when a dog needs to be manhandled safely.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

wish my dog would stop eating cat poop

welp if the military paid you more maybe you could afford some dog food.

Bird Law posted:

Has anyone else done the grass patch potty that dogstardaily's guide recommends?

Seems like a good way to let the puppy have more time in the play area/pen without enforcing floor=potty. If they'll use the washable grass patch, at least they're connecting grass=potty.

I'm not a fan of puppy pads, but this seems like a good idea.

It's the same loving concept friend.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Dogs don't really understand that plastic grass and real grass are the same thing because they smell totally different. Two kinds of puppy pad, those that smell like wee to a dog and those that don't. First kind your pup will naturally choose to go toilet on, the second you have to put them on if you see them start to go toilet. Newspaper is cheaper than the second kind. Give treats and praise for going to the toilet in the right place. The whole point is that you have the pad near the door, so when they learn that pad = good dog you will see them go towards the door. Open the door and give treats for going toilet outside. Congratulations your dog is now toilet trained. :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Dogs don't really understand that plastic grass and real grass are the same thing because they smell totally different. Two kinds of puppy pad, those that smell like wee to a dog and those that don't. First kind your pup will naturally choose to go toilet on, the second you have to put them on if you see them start to go toilet. Newspaper is cheaper than the second kind. Give treats and praise for going to the toilet in the right place. The whole point is that you have the pad near the door, so when they learn that pad = good dog you will see them go towards the door. Open the door and give treats for going toilet outside. Congratulations your dog is now toilet trained. :)

Why not just teach the dog to pee and poo outside from the beginning?.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That's what I don't understand either. If you're going to go through the effort of training your dog to pee somewhere, why not just reinforce going outside?

Pee pads and fake grass are strange concepts to me. Then again my dog is a medium sized dog and was housebroken within 2 weeks of bringing him home at 10 weeks old so my experience was pretty easy. Little dogs might be a completely different universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
City folk who live in tall buildings are the only people I think that makes sense for.