Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aren't they zodiac-themed? it seems like a safe bet that there will be 12 total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

aren't they zodiac-themed? it seems like a safe bet that there will be 12 total.

I look forward to seeing whom will represent the one that looks like 69.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Just constellations
No one is born under the chameleon or the swordfish

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

I look forward to seeing whom will represent the one that looks like 69.

Two people 69ing

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It's constellation themed. The main villains are constellation themed too.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Godspeed, FurryRanger.

I was expecting a last minute sacrifice from Bud, but the ending was a good, straightforward affair and the epilogue was well done.

E: Misao's character development was surprisingly heartwarming and profound for a children's TV show.

MachuPikacchu fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 6, 2017

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
I haven't lurked in a while but I did pop my head in and saw everyone giving Zyuohger praise. After dismissing it from the first episode I started again this weekend, only on episode 9, but it's better than I thought it was going to be and the theme / mecha grew on me. Interested to see where the villains end up. Also my son is almost 4 and he also really likes the show. Animals, robots, fighting, explosions, dance music. Glad I finally have an *excuse* to enjoy my kiddie shows (I jest, I've never needed an excuse). So thanks, y'all!

The new Kamen Rider also put me off from a visual design perspective. Not sure if I'm willing to invest my limited time into it unless I read more about it being amazing. Kamen Rider generally has a lot more talking so I don't think my kid will like it yet either.

For Kyuranger I'm curious how they will execute on the characterizations of a 9 person team + side characters right from the start.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Kuso Meriken posted:

For Kyuranger I'm curious how they will execute on the characterizations of a 9 person team + side characters right from the start.

Pink is the ship's pilot, so I figure she'll likely stay out of battle most of the time a la Yayoi/Kyoryu Violet.

Orange is "a proud & cold lone wolf", so he'll probably be off doing his own thing and disappear for long stretches.

Gold and Silver work together and look kinda like a buddy-pair, I think they'll be a bit more independent, but not quite to Orange's degree. Like the Go-On Wings or Beet and Stag Buster.

The three remaining humans (Red, Yellow, Green)* will get more focus episodes and character development than the suits (Blue, Black) and will probably be the main characters. In a roundabout way it'll be like the other post-anniversary series with a focus on a trio of rangers.

They'll have all nine together for the premiere; I don't doubt that, but after that... maybe once or twice before the tenth ranger shows up.

*aka Team OOO, The Stoplight Trio, TaToBa Humans.

no go on Quiznos fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 6, 2017

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

no go on Quiznos posted:

They'll have all nine together for the premiere; I don't doubt that, but after that... maybe once or twice before the tenth ranger shows up.

Good point. It's probably naïve to think all 9 will be given as much attention as a five person team, especially the muppets.

I'll probably watch it regardless for the visual design. I love the suits, with that many members they need to differentiate them more than just color swaps and helmets, but they didn't skimp out. I also like what I've seen of the bubbly orb mecha.
I hope the villains are good too. Sometimes when I'm not super into the heroes the villains will save a show for me. Carranger was my favorite sentai of the 90's but the humans, except for Minoru, were super flat IMO. Bowzock is what made that show for me, along with VRV Master. I was also 13 so Zonnette's costume didn't hurt either.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Kuso Meriken posted:

I hope the villains are good too. Sometimes when I'm not super into the heroes the villains will save a show for me. Carranger was my favorite sentai of the 90's but the humans, except for Minoru, were super flat IMO. Bowzock is what made that show for me, along with VRV Master. I was also 13 so Zonnette's costume didn't hurt either.

Minoru for best Carranger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have no idea how you can see LEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADER and say the Carrangers were flat. Red Racer owned so goddamn hard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I have no idea how you can see LEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADER and say the Carrangers were flat. Red Racer owned so goddamn hard.

Not to mention he was one of the only Sentai heroes to fight a monster unmorphed and win (though the Yellow from Maskman came close once). Carranger is probably one of my all-time favorite Sentai shows (and one of the few shows where I liked pretty much every character).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Stop making me want the Carranger DVDs

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Some new Ex-Aid forms and Riders got leaked over at Jefusion.

For those too busy to click links:

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid Muteki Gamer

The Hyper Muteki Gashat, which triggers Muteki Gamer form.

The DX Gashacon ParabraGun, used by Kamen Rider Para-DX (I guess that's the official romanization) in his Level 99 Perfect Knockout Gamer form achieved by putting the Gashat Gear Dual into a Gamer Driver.

The Buggle Driver II and Kamen Rider Chronicle Gashat, used by an as of yet unknown character (probably Graphite) to become Kamen Rider Chronos.

And finally the Tokimeki Crisis Gashat, which Poppy uses alongside another Buggle Driver II to become Kamen Rider Poppy. (She's so dead.)

Simon The Digger fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 7, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
muteki gamer is too beautiful for this world

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

muteki gamer is too beautiful for this world

It's almost verbatim what I would assume a Kamen Rider would look like in Kill La Kill :allears:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Tokimeki Crisis is a dating game, isn't it?

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Caphi posted:

Tokimeki Crisis is a dating game, isn't it?

The chances are extremely good that it is. Sadly there'll be no Tokimeki Memorial Legend Game Gashat, because TokiMemo is owned by Konami.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Those absolute madmen. Muteki Gamer owns. Kamen Rider Poppy owns.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe flat isn't the right word but I certainly didn't give a poo poo about them as much I could characters in other shows. I almost included Kyosuke in my "but" along with Minoru and you are probably right.
Perhaps time has dulled my memories but I just don't remember the plots around the characters being that enthralling. It was the bad guys and their dumb schemes that made those episodes memorable for me.

I will concede the Xmas episode where Dappu's trapped inside the robot to power it and he screams about just wanting to have a merry Christmas with them makes me tear up to this day.

edit:

After seeing those designs perhaps I need to also give EX-Aid another chance. The eyes remind me too much of B-Robo Kabutack.

Kuso Meriken fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 7, 2017

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
The Ex-Aid one is the thing that comes out of Mighty Maximum X, which we saw in earlier scans.

Kamen Rider Chronicle is probably Dan tbh. I think Graphite is dead dead and Dan will need an upgrade at some point.

Poppy using the same driver as Chronicle is weird. Not sure what's up with that.

If Parad needs a Gamer Driver for Parad-DX level 99 I wonder if that means Hiiro or Taiga are going to bite it so he can steal the driver, or if he's taking Kiriya's somehow.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

I think Graphite is dead dead and Dan will need an upgrade at some point.

Barring bugster resurrection Graphite is loving dead. Dude got quad killed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dan's entire goal is to create chronicle. unless some new villain usurps his whole deal, that is either him or parad.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
why did we need a second Buggle driver?
:cry: my poor wallet

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I can't believe Ex-Aid's ultimate form is a Mario Starman. It's beautiful.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

the way Dan talks about Chronicle also makes me think that's the MMORPG Gashat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yamato's All Beasts Unleashed form is goofy as hell and I loving love it.

Didn't expect the weird "worlds are merged" thing but since Sentai shows take place in their own separate universes outside of crossovers I guess it doesn't matter. It'd still be hilarious for zyumans to appear in the backgrounds of cities from now on though.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Didn't expect the weird "worlds are merged" thing but since Sentai shows take place in their own separate universes outside of crossovers I guess it doesn't matter. It'd still be hilarious for zyumans to appear in the backgrounds of cities from now on though.

"We bought 75 rubber horse head masks off Amazon and we might as well use them :toot:"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Maybe Gao is just a Zyuman.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
OK I was wrong about 2016. Zyuohger is pretty good and holy crap is Ex-Aid up my alley. I was put off by the initial visual designs but after only watching the first episode the cheesy gaming aesthetic is my joint and I'm even appreciating the busy suits. And omg the Poppy reveal. I should be caught up by this weekend, will probably take a break from Overwatch in the evenings to do it, ha.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For fans of obscure, but not SUPER obscure, old school tokustasu

A friend of mine, from a project tangentially related, is working on subbing old school Tokustasu. Mirrorman, Fireman, Megaloman are his primary targets now, though if things go well he plans to expand into further territories.

The problem is that he has to pay to have them translated. He's planning on a Patreon, where people donate $3 dollars a month. If enough people pitch in, a serious dent could be made in the backlog. I know for a fact he's good for it and for getting this done, because he has already self funded all of Zone Fighter and has gotten it fully subbed in English, right out of his own pocket. He doesn't regret doing it that way at all, but it isn't really feasible to keep doing.

For the moment he's keeping it private, but I can personally attest that it is legit and the subs are of very good quality. If he can get support for the rest of these, he will gladly release all of them publicly. If you have any interest in helping out with this, shoot me a PM and I can get you his contact details.

It'd be a pretty fun way to get some good old series to see the light of day again, because it's almost a certain fact that otherwise, they never would get released legally. I also have nothing to do with this project beyond knowing the guy doing it, and all of the money goes right to the translator to get the job done.

EDIT: he went ahead and made the Patreon https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2795074

Helps explain things further.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 11, 2017

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kyuurangers 2nd Quarter Toy scans are on jefusion and probably everywhere else and holy poo poo the mecha are extremely the poo poo I would need to have as a kid.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kyuurangers 2nd Quarter Toy scans are on jefusion and probably everywhere else and holy poo poo the mecha are extremely the poo poo I would need to have as a kid.

Link it goof

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In case anyone doesn't have Ohranger yet Amazon has it for 25 bucks right now. Preordered that and Carranger

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ApolloGeese/status/830547844851441665

*Gokai change voice* KYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURANGER!!!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

That dude's twitter is full of Gifs and holy poo poo I'm excited.

Apparently Blue Guy is also a newbie alongside Red

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Low quality new OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zhL0a2jog

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So I've re-started my effort to watch all the Heisei Kamen Riders (I'm still on Kuuga) and watching through Kuuga again has reminded me how horrible the translation is.

This isn't even 'oh they got some weird grammar wrong' level. This is 'maybe they couldn't hear that sentence right because they apparently just made something up and stuck it in there' level. Bizarrely, horribly wrong. On the plus side Kuuga is a great series and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Maybe this time I'll actually get through Kuuga and move on to the other Heisei series instead of getting distracted and dropping the whole thing 3/4ths of the way through Kuuga like I did last time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Getsuya posted:

So I've re-started my effort to watch all the Heisei Kamen Riders (I'm still on Kuuga) and watching through Kuuga again has reminded me how horrible the translation is.

This isn't even 'oh they got some weird grammar wrong' level. This is 'maybe they couldn't hear that sentence right because they apparently just made something up and stuck it in there' level. Bizarrely, horribly wrong. On the plus side Kuuga is a great series and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Maybe this time I'll actually get through Kuuga and move on to the other Heisei series instead of getting distracted and dropping the whole thing 3/4ths of the way through Kuuga like I did last time.

What subs are you even watching

If you say TVN you're not allowed to complain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

TVN never even finished Kuuga, he's talking about MCS' "hey we have a free month, let's binge translate a 40+-episode show daily, gently caress yeah" Kuuga subs.

• Locked thread