Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't think I've ever seen one of those. Buy it.

Firenza is the J-body right? http://whatmonstersdo.com/blogs/wmd/18186263-car-feature-joshs-1991-turbo-cavalier-rs-wagon

Yep. I... just look at it! That radio, the GM parts-bin everything, unf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I once had a Firenza 2-door. I actually really liked it. It was comfortable, did its job without any fuss, was peppy enough, and I once did a 150 mile drive on only 3 gallons of gas.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5984692581.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

scuz posted:

Ho. Lee. poo poo.

:eyepop:

The very first car that my folks had that I can remember being in was their 1980 Oldsmobile Omega 4 speed. I'm getting a lot of flashbacks looking at the interior of that car.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sorry for the car dummy question, but could someone humor me and tell me what the attraction is here? It's hard for me to see how it would be cool except maybe if you're a drug dealer and need a completely generic anonymous looking car. Is it really easy/cheap to maintain and customize or something?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

Sorry for the car dummy question, but could someone humor me and tell me what the attraction is here? It's hard for me to see how it would be cool except maybe if you're a drug dealer and need a completely generic anonymous looking car. Is it really easy/cheap to maintain and customize or something?
It's a small, built-out-of-a-parts-bin-yet-still-rare American wagon with a 4-speed manual in amazing shape. It would also be like sitting the care-free days of my youth since this is the wagon version of My Very First Car Ever. And did you see that tape player? What're those buttons? I MUST KNOW!

I legit have to stop staring at the listing or I'm going to use money that should be used elsewhere for this ridiculous automobile.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wagons are cool
Manual trans Oldsmobiles are rare
4 speed is rarer in the manual trans world?
It's in good condition
It's only $700!
Wagons are cool

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

It's a smidge overpriced imho

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Any running car is worth at least $1000 in today's world. Sorry you think it's 2004.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

My scirocco looks and drives like it's been through a war and I'm reasonably optimistic I can get a grand for it. Somewhere in the past five years 80s cars have become the new affordable classics.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Snowy posted:

There's a slim chance that could literally be the nicest (and maybe even only running) manual Firenza wagon in the whole country. It's not a great car, but it's unique.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

My scirocco looks and drives like it's been through a war and I'm reasonably optimistic I can get a grand for it. Somewhere in the past five years 80s cars have become the new affordable classics.

Sciroccos are getting pretty rare now and even non-running it's probably worth a grand or more. Even if it had been in a severe accident you could probably part it out and get a grand, although a ton of the parts are the same as rabbit parts so maybe not as much (but then, GTI/Rabbit parts of that vintage are getting rarer too).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/5977832844.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/5975610454.html

edit LOL for spelling:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 1, 2017

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Honestly I think what it goes for is going to be a crap shoot down to somebody wanting the 16v engine I put in mine. The prices of those things are all over the map and I think it's down to somebody wanting it on that day. The car itself ain't worth much, kinda makes me mad because I finally got the suspension right and the chassis, engine and gearbox has just become garbage. It drives ridiculously well in winter if you can drive around all its little quirks but I'm tired of having to do it on a daily basis.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have never seen a Firenza in person. $700 for a manual Oldsmobile wagon is pretty drat reasonable. And I dunno what your market is like but anything running and driveable is $1000 at least.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Pretty clean looking Forester turbo:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/5986116996.html

quote:

1999 Subaru Forester L
Chassis: I bought the chassis (with a bad but running engine) from the father of a girl who lived in California with it for the first 180,000 miles. The day I bought the car it was in perfect condition without dents and with absolutely NO RUST or signs of rust even on suspension parts or anywhere under the car. Two days later my wife backed my truck into it in my driveway and it was kind of down hill from there. Nearly everything I've learned about rally driving (including and especially going "off") I learned in this car and it doesn't attempt to hide our experience. This car was used as a training tool and wears the remnants of our many lessons as dents, missing parts and crumpled sheet metal.

The chassis has rusted considerably in its time in Michigan but structurally is still in great shape. Subarus have a serious problem with rust on the rear strut towers which will cause very bad structural problems. This car still has clean looking strut towers that I feel good about.

Little issues (that aren't REALLY issues) be aware of:
• OEM Fogs (useless broken housings and bulbs removed)
• Rear wiper (seized motor?)
• Headlights (both ziptied in but work fine)
• No carpet in the car
• Interior is generally gross
• The shift knob spins freely (stripped threads)
• No front bumper cover (still has beam)
• Some random interior panels are missing
• Hood latch pull doesn't work sometimes. (I'll show you how to open the hood manually [easier anyway])
• Some of the doors have a hard time opening
• Rear hatch latch sticks (pull multiple times)
• Generally, the interior smells like gear oil and exhaust
• Clutch pedal squeaks a lot
• Rear defrost only has a few functional lines
• Blown front speaker (sounds terrible)
• The rear wiper sprayer is gone
• The rear wiper motor is hooked up to the front (front motor is bad)
• The ECU is pretty exposed on the passenger footwell without carpet
• There are two wires running from the engine bay to the ecu through the front doors (don't remember what they are but they are important)
• The front fender liners are pretty ripped up. They've been yanked out by the tires a few times.
• No AC (but the heat works fine)
• Lots of the wheel studs and lugs suck
• There was black wiring on the car still for Hellas that I removed when they caught fire. Now has Hellas again with a slightly better harness. These have not yet caught fire.

Issues serious enough that I thought about actually fixing:
• The exhaust manifold leaks
• Windshield mating surface is rusty and leaks (small hole drilled in the rear floor to drain)
• It won't rev past 4,500RPM in first gear only. It's been this way since the swap and I just didn't care. Probably a combo of TPS garbage and ABS deletes.
• There is a clunk in the front when I reverse while parking sometimes.
• I haven't changed the rear diff fluid in a while
• The power steering is getting hard and choppy. I assume it's the pump but don't care.
• I think it's slowly leaking coolant somewhere? Probably some stupid hoses.

Engine:
• 2002 EJ205 with STI VF39 Running 19PSI on 93.
• Stock WRX longblock with Something like 180K on it. Nevermind that one just blew up. Using a 205 block rebuilt by some Honda guy with the aforementioned WRX motor's heads. Smokes a lot on decel. I'd keep an eye on the oil level. This is also probably why it misfires some around idle and low load.
• Tuned using Tactrix cable and open source tuning software.

Intake:
• K&N Typhoon intake with silicone turbo inlet
• Godspeed topmount intercooler (with Ebay fans)
• BLOCKED OFF BOV (for dolphin noises, Tune is specific for this will run lean if unblocked). The intercooler side is blocked off using a coolant expansion block, and the intake side is blocked off using a stool foot cover and a worm clamp.

Exhaust:
• 5"to 3" stainless downpipe into custom 3" straight pipe. Axle back unbolts for use of OEM WRX muffler which bolts on to the straight pipe. Also comes with unashamed 3" rusty hood dump.

Fuel:
• DeatschWerks modified 565cc injectors (wrx modded to sti flow)
• Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Cooling:
• Mishimoto aluminum radiator
• No Rad Fans (always completely fine except on hot days in a long jam. . .)

Drivetrain:
• Trans is a forester case (stronger than the pre-wrx imprezas) with who knows what else I put in there (4:11 final drive though for sure) It's in great shape.
• Rear diff is from a 2000+ impreza RS and LSD (4:11 obviously)
• South bend clutch (Part# KSB04HDO which is just modded exedy components and is a very wonderful and comfortable clutch)
• Lightweight flywheel (ACT Streetlight I believe. This unit was resurfaced past what a shop is normally ok doing for someone. So when it gets looking bad again, that's probably the end)

Suspension:
• Stock forester stuff. I recently replaced the rears with some used struts/springs.
• No front sway bar. (didn't work well with the swap)

Braking:
• Rears have NEVER been serviced
• Handbrake works pretty well
• Fronts are wrx calipers (seems to me that the rotors and pads are still forester stuff and it works great)
• ABS is disabled by removing all the sensors

Other Stuff:
• Old-school Turbo legacy front subframe (from an old silver wagon)
• "Skid plate" (light duty) is a street sign.

Normal engine codes:
• Some evap
• TGV's (tumble generator vales. . ..blah blah blah don't care)
• Wastegate duty something. . . meh
• IAC crap

Recentish service:
• Front brakes (I even used NEW PADS AND ROTORS from the store!! WOoOW!)
• Oiling tubes for the turbo
• Coolant tube to the oil cooler
• Oil changes every 3k-4k miles for the whole time I've owned it. (John Stevens was even more frequent)
• Tons and tons of other stuff to, but nothing is coming to mind for some reason. . .

A word about Transmissions:

This car is on Trans #8. The inward facing "SELF CONTROL" windshield banner was put in place to remind me of a few trans saving behaviors that I've learned over the years which can drastically increase the life of a trans in this car. The data:
1. 4 times I blew up 2nd gear at WOT in a dry and paved corner. (approaching redline)
2. 2 times I blew up 2nd gear in a straight line on a dry road. (approaching redline)
3. 1 time I blew up 3rd on ice drifting at the top of the gear. (I think it caught a patch of grip suddenly for a split second.)
4. I have NEVER broken anything due to a hard shift or a launch.
5. Broken gear + time = more broken gears no matter how you are driving the car.
6. I have never broken anything trans related at rallycross and I have not held back in any way at all. On dirt, ice and snow, let loose. . . Please.

Comes with an extra Forester case and extra WRX gears. You'll need them.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Haha, that got flagged fast.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Why the hell was it flagged?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Pretty sure because I had a name in the ad maybe?

Reposted: http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/5986238527.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

All it needs is a bull bar and it'd be :perfect:

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up
Car is on its EIGHTH transmission! GAT drat

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

There's something neat, almost time capsule like about a car that didn't turn any heads when it rolled off the production line but has been kept in good working order so many years later. Not to mention one that has unusual options like that one. Plus, like everyone else said, the nostalgia of boxy american cars that we had growing up.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Even $500 wouldn't be a great deal and that car is completely loving hammered.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Adiabatic posted:

Let me guess... won't pass inspection in VA?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Breakfast Feud posted:

There's something neat, almost time capsule like about a car that didn't turn any heads when it rolled off the production line but has been kept in good working order so many years later. Not to mention one that has unusual options like that one. Plus, like everyone else said, the nostalgia of boxy american cars that we had growing up.

Thanks for this and the other responses. I like cars but grew up in the city so never drove much and I miss out on some car dude stuff sometimes. Nostalgia I get, but this probably isnt one I'd expect, and I was around then :corsair:

if I were getting nostalgic about old family cars of that time we had a sweeet Renault Alliance but then on the good side a late 70s Toyota Corolla and Celica. Not sure why I'm rambling but thanks for the tips and the thread in general, I'm still waiting for some real gold that makes me buy something dumb.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

rdb posted:

Let me guess... won't pass inspection in VA?

surprisingly it would.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
The gas and brake pedals on this really make it

http://orlando.craigslist.org/for/5962455747.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Singl Axil, New Barings, 4 Axil Barings.

At least the brakes double as tire cleaners.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Good for young man to learn about stuff.

Like getting your first DUI well tooling around the neighborhood.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Having seen a chain let go and punch through a chain guard and then almost clean through a radiator I wouldn't be too keen on the gear placement right against the tire.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

love on the cheap posted:

All of that for 300 dollars. :angel:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

love on the cheap posted:

I am Jack's complete lack of suspension.

edit: yeah a go-kart doesn't necessarily have it but lol if you'd ever be allowed to take that fucker on an actual carting track.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's something similar coming up at mecum

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LA0217-273567/1973-bug-stinger-go-kart/

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

dem brakes

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

beep-beep car is go posted:

The very first car that my folks had that I can remember being in was their 1980 Oldsmobile Omega 4 speed. I'm getting a lot of flashbacks looking at the interior of that car.

Ugh, that was the horrible H-body (Citation) wasn't it?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lol those look like they would just instalock the rear wheels

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol those look like they would just instalock the rear wheels

Most karts only have rear brakes. They understeer like pigs if you put any weight remotely close to the front axle so you're going to want alot of rear bias even on karts with front brakes

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

1500quidporsche posted:

Most karts only have rear brakes. They understeer like pigs if you put any weight remotely close to the front axle so you're going to want alot of rear bias even on karts with front brakes

TIL. What's that disc on the front wheel for?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

TIL. What's that disc on the front wheel for?

Front brakes. Some karts have them, mostly shifters although I think the KF class or whatever the successor to that class was called use them too due to a requirement for a secondary braking circuit in the regs. But again they usually are super tiny since you want most the braking bias at the back anyways.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

Ugh, that was the horrible H-body (Citation) wasn't it?

I think the Citation and Pontiac Kleenex was the X body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Neat Scirocco:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5952720273.html