Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

This is loving hilarious. Now I'm just thinking of him constantly terrified for the last, uh, 15 years of making Silent Hill or whatever.

Kojima was never involved with Silent Hill. Silent Hills was supposed to be Konami reviving the series with a fresh creator and fresh ideas, instead of contracting yet another US developer to produce yet another bad imitation of SH2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bombadilillo posted:

Hair splitting. 4 makes me constantly scared I will die and my goal is survival. 5 and 6 make me feel like my goal is to shoot zambies and experience crazy set piece explosions.

resident evil 4 gives you a ton of ammo unless you play so well that you set off the trigger to make it think you're doing a knife only run. the regenerators are scary for sure but with the way the game throws ammo at you i cant see a difference. also re4 was full of crazy set pieces?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jewce posted:

I pre-ordered Nioh. I almost made it, but I learned nothing from NMS.

Actually, Team Ninja was great with the alpha and beta play time and giving copies to review sites early without any limitations so I k jw what I'm in for and feel pretty good about the choice.

Preordering nioh isn't even in the same zip code of stupidity as preordering no man's sky. Nioh had three public demos with positive responses from players and which showed improvements between each one, and many reviews are already out with almost unanimous praise for the game.

At this point the only way I see preordering nioh as being a worse idea than waiting is if it's just not your kind of game anyway, which is no different than if you bought it after release. There's not a whole lot of info on the game we still don't have which would make preordering a bad idea. Unlike no man's sky where they were being coy motherfuckers about the whole thing all the way up to and past the game's release.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Anyone else having trouble with SEN? I can't see my friends list and it looks like I'm offline, but clearly my internet is working and it says the network is up. Can't sign in on my PS3 either.

e: nvm, looks like they finally updated their page to say sign in is hosed

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 7, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

ive actually thought about the subject of "horror games" a lot, mostly in the context of discussing whether or not the later resident evils count, which mostly centered around people making arguments for why 4 was but 5 and 6 weren't, which was mostly just hair splitting feelings based nonsense because most of the reasons people say they hate 5 and 6 also apply to 4. ANYWAYS, there isnt actually a "horror" genre of games, they don't easily fit into the same play style and one group isnt more authentic than any other. amnesia/soma are not like silent hill 2, but they're definitely all three horror games. i find that mostly people seem invested in arguing what is or isnt a horror game to keep stuff they personally dont like out of their playground, and that its pretty much meaningless.

of course this argument isnt limited to games, arguing about whether alien is a horror movie has been going on forever.

for the record i dont think you could stretch the definition far enough to include halo. the souls series is a little tougher, i can definitely see surrealist horror in a lot of demons souls setting, for instance, and bloodborne is undeniable and owes a lot to victorian horror stuff.

Yeah horror can really be anything that fits a certain mood or theme, it can be terrifying or goofy. I'd say later RE games still qualify as horror. Definitely action games, but thematically they are still horror even of they aren't scary. Like, I'd put dead space in that same genre even if DS is way scarier.

Something like Dark Souls is hard to peg. Same with the Last of us. They are both things that can be scary and even have thematic horror elements, but I don't think either one is defined by them so it's hard to call them horror.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

rabidsquid posted:

resident evil 4 gives you a ton of ammo unless you play so well that you set off the trigger to make it think you're doing a knife only run. the regenerators are scary for sure but with the way the game throws ammo at you i cant see a difference. also re4 was full of crazy set pieces?

Whatever Resi 4 is...it's certainly not 'survival horror' like the previous games. They totally reinvented the core theme in 4, for better or worse. Better for the industry, worse for the series.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rabidsquid posted:

Well RE4 actually achieves its gameplay balance through some cheap tricks. Enemies will take more hits somewhat randomly, and if you're doing really well I believe it spawns even more enemies in to ensure it's drained at least some portion of your ammunition. The game generally does its best to stagger your resources and force you into dangerous situations with less-than-ideal armament options. By the end of the game you have so many guns it doesn't matter, you'll always have something, but well into the castle you'll still find yourself desperately scrambling to find a chokepoint to knife your foes or some spare ammo to get your pistol back up and firing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Whatever Resi 4 is...it's certainly not 'survival horror' like the previous games. They totally reinvented the core theme in 4, for better or worse. Better for the industry, worse for the series.

Well for the series I would say worse too, RE5 and RE6 were awful. (Don't get me wrong though; RE4 was awesome, even if it was different from RE1-2)

And now the new RE has reinvented the core yet again, and in many ways returned to RE1's style of being trapped in a spooky mansion full of puzzles and monsters with limited ability to defend yourself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He said worse for the series.

RE4 was great but they ran in the wrong direction with it for sure.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The first half of Resi 4 is great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought the whole game was great.

Well, this is loving awesome. Sony isn't letting me log in until I change my password, which they supposedly sent an email to deal with. Which of course they didn't send so I'm stuck out of PSN. I hate when companies do this poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I thought the whole game was great.

Well, this is loving awesome. Sony isn't letting me log in until I change my password, which they supposedly sent an email to deal with. Which of course they didn't send so I'm stuck out of PSN. I hate when companies do this poo poo.

Do you have multiple email accounts?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

RE5 is honestly even worse in hindsight, an absolutely clunky stumble of a follow-up to RE4. Nice spectacle but the gameplay is just not nearly up to par, especially with the poorly implemented multiplayer focus.

RE6, on the other hand, is a really underappreciated gem of an action game. It's got a lot of Vanquish's DNA in it, particularly due to its slide mechanic, but it also introduces an overall fluidity and speed that RE5 lacked, and the 2-player element actually feels much more elegantly implemented and part of the experience. I think it's not the most well designed sort of game, it's a bit bloated and there are a lot of so-so parts, but at the same time it has some of the most excellent set pieces put forward in the series. There's a stage where you have to navigate through a submarine, beginning with you entering, ending with you making a narrow escape as it floods with water and sinks, and it's just fantastic, tons of action, some time-based puzzle challenges, and everything looks awesome.

I feel like RE5 burned people out and they didn't come to notice RE6's improvements to the design. It's good the series is moving back to its horror roots, but i think RE4's legacy isn't all bad for the brand overall. RE4 remains one of the greatest games ever made, period, and nothing can take that away from it. It's certainly my favorite Resident Evil game, without question, and the REmake would be the second.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah but not on PSN. I called CS and they said PSN is down.

The password prompt is weird though. Please god don't let there be another hack. Are you guys connected?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but not on PSN. I called CS and they said PSN is down.

The password prompt is weird though. Please god don't let there be another hack. Are you guys connected?

Yeah, I'm on. Also,

https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Do you need to be connected to PSN for preloaded games to unlock?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Weird. There is straight up a pre recorded message saying it's down that is the first thing you hear when you call them.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Digirat posted:

Do you need to be connected to PSN for preloaded games to unlock?

i am basing this entirely off of the fact that your ps+ game license doesnt give a poo poo if you're online or offline to lock you out of a game, but i would assume so long as your licenses have updated in the past recent history it still should unlock whether the psn is up or down. but it might not work like that for unlocks i guess? but it would be weird if it was different since a license is a license.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ill say I felt way more tense. And liked the game more. Before I learned about Res Evil 4s dynamic difficulty.

I rarely used special guns. So it rarely gave me ammo which made them feel special and awesome when I pulled them out. Scraping by the skin of my teeth looses its exhilaration when I know the game will balance so that happens.

It seemed survival horror to me. But granted is adventure horror or whatever if you play it that way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If it works like steam, a preloaded game needs to be decrypted, and they might not distribute the decryption key until the release time via PSN. but I have no idea if that's how it works on playstation or not.

I've never preloaded something from PSN before--do you normally have to wait awhile for it to decrypt when the release time hits, or can you launch it immediately? If you can launch it immediately then there's probably no decryption involved.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Digirat posted:

If it works like steam, a preloaded game needs to be decrypted, and they might not distribute the decryption key until the release time via PSN. but I have no idea if that's how it works on playstation or not.

I've never preloaded something from PSN before--do you normally have to wait awhile for it to decrypt when the release time hits, or can you launch it immediately? If you can launch it immediately then there's probably no decryption involved.

you can launch it immediately

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

:doh: somehow read that backwards

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Been playing Assault Android Cactus and while no doubt it's fun and better than Broforce by a mile, that knockdown mechanic is drat near game ruining. I would so much rather have it so taking a hit just knocked your life down whatever the equivalent of of laying there stunned for 5 seconds is. It's so unsatisfying in a game that fast paced.

Also the aesthetic is pretty hard to get past. It's sort of hideous.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Can I plug in a mouse and keyboard into my PS4 and play overwatch with that

Wait can even play any PS4 game with that I swear I saw FF14 ask me if I wanted to use a mouse and keyboard

E: I wanna play OW but I hate fps controller controls it's just too slow :c

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Wait can even play any PS4 game with that I swear I saw FF14 ask me if I wanted to use a mouse and keyboard

FF14 is the only one that you can play with mouse and keyboard, as far as I know.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

verbal enema posted:

The PS4 can accept a keyboard and mouse. Almost no games support it because it gives you an advantage over controller, and people don't want to have to use mouse and keyboard.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753235853?page=3#post-58

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/overwatch-director-speaks-out-against-console-mousekeyboard-adapters/

You can buy a device called a XIM which lets you make a mouse and keyboard appear as a controller, and its considered massively cheating.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
RE1, RE2, and RE4 are three equally incredible games and definitely the three best Resident Evil games. I love Code Veronica personally and RE3 is alright but both of those haven't aged well in their own way.

RE5 had a lot of minor things that added up to me not liking it as much as the past ones, but it was still a pretty good effort. One thing people don't mention often is the noticeably inferior sound effects in RE5 compared to RE4. They use a camera shake to sell what just looked and sounded badass in RE4 like noticing poo poo behind a door and decided at the last second to kick it open, little stuff like that. RE5 coop is a lot of fun though.

RE6......it looks so bad but I do still have to actually play it, I'll pick it up on the PS4 sooner or later. I played a little bit of it when it first came out and it seemed awful but I read they patched a better camera and fixed some other stuff a couple of months after it came out.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What about REvelations 1 and 2?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

What about REvelations 1 and 2?

Pretty dang good for handheld games.

Also RE Outbreak 1&2 were super fun co-op times and is underrated, although now the servers are down. There's 3rd party servers you can connect to which is awesome, but its kinda patchy and last I checked nobody was online.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Revelations is fuckin awesome but I haven't played 2 yet. I have to admit the console ports of Revelations 1 were a let down though. The game has a lot of shortcuts regarding its animations and some other things that were understandable on the 3DS, but really stand out on the PS3 compared to other RE stuff. Not really worth getting just to play on the big screen.

The Outbreak games are so awesome but no one gave them a chance when they were new. In today's world if they made an RE game where four folks gotta team up to solve puzzles in a survival horror game it would be huge, people would eat it up.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 7, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Zaphod42 posted:

The PS4 can accept a keyboard and mouse. Almost no games support it because it gives you an advantage over controller, and people don't want to have to use mouse and keyboard.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753235853?page=3#post-58

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/overwatch-director-speaks-out-against-console-mousekeyboard-adapters/

You can buy a device called a XIM which lets you make a mouse and keyboard appear as a controller, and its considered massively cheating.

I'm going to assume that's considered cheating by Sony so don't so that right?

Dang

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

verbal enema posted:

I'm going to assume that's considered cheating by Sony so don't so that right?

Dang

That top link is the director of Overwatch saying "The Overwatch team objects to the use of mouse and keyboard on console." so yeah.

If you want mouse and keyboard, play on PC. Maybe look into a steambox or find a way to run an HDMI cable to your TV from your PC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Revelations 1 is good 2 is trash imao.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Revelations 1 is good 2 is trash imao.

Might skip 2 then, what's wrong with it?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

verbal enema posted:

this is fairly topical as theres a bit of a community argument today since once of the overwatch devs said that he wanted kb&mouse peripherals either widely available to the entire console community or banned entirely, and i guess theres some fashion where disabled gamers can play with a xim4 and whatnot.

anyways apparently there is actually an official ps4 keyboard and mouse? but you can always use a xim4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Might skip 2 then, what's wrong with it?

Level design is super repetitive and bland. The production value is probably the lowest in the series short of that weird tactical shooter they put out last year. Super inconsistent difficulty Awkward AI partners...I thought it was incredibly bad all around, but the same crowd that thinks RE6 is great seems to like it but ymmv.

Also raid mode got boring really fast in 2. I think I only liked it so much in 1 because it was portable.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I enjoyed REvelations 2, enough to get to episode 4 at least. Which is when I got into a big scripted fight with several tough enemies and not enough ammo and no way to go back or get more and after 5 futile attempts I dropped that poo poo forever. Raid mode was cool but I didn't play REvelations 1 so I can't compare. 2/5

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching someone on Twitch play Nioh and the game looks so awesome. :eyepop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Watching someone on Twitch play Nioh and the game looks so awesome. :eyepop:

I can't wait to play. One hour left until NA digital release!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

RE5 is honestly even worse in hindsight, an absolutely clunky stumble of a follow-up to RE4. Nice spectacle but the gameplay is just not nearly up to par, especially with the poorly implemented multiplayer focus.

RE6, on the other hand, is a really underappreciated gem of an action game. It's got a lot of Vanquish's DNA in it, particularly due to its slide mechanic, but it also introduces an overall fluidity and speed that RE5 lacked, and the 2-player element actually feels much more elegantly implemented and part of the experience. I think it's not the most well designed sort of game, it's a bit bloated and there are a lot of so-so parts, but at the same time it has some of the most excellent set pieces put forward in the series. There's a stage where you have to navigate through a submarine, beginning with you entering, ending with you making a narrow escape as it floods with water and sinks, and it's just fantastic, tons of action, some time-based puzzle challenges, and everything looks awesome.

I feel like RE5 burned people out and they didn't come to notice RE6's improvements to the design. It's good the series is moving back to its horror roots, but i think RE4's legacy isn't all bad for the brand overall. RE4 remains one of the greatest games ever made, period, and nothing can take that away from it. It's certainly my favorite Resident Evil game, without question, and the REmake would be the second.

Everything you sai, I think the opposite of. I felt the coop was much better in 5. 6 was the game that stuffed Helena into a room while Leon fought the boss and had a campaign where coop was added later due to people complaining.

The problem with re6 is that you have to dig through a bunch of poo poo to get to some solid gameplay because for some reason they loaded the game up with gimmicky poo poo.