Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I garrote the Kobold with the silk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Do you guys have any ideas for magic items or weapons for monks? Or any custom made items for a monk?

In the DMG, anything that provides additional defense or healing options are very welcome in parties with either few melee-focused characters and/or healers. UA aside, only open hand monks get any kind of healing feature, and it's a bit weaker than what fighters/paladins get. A ring of regeneration or periapt of wound closure would fill this gap. Bracers of defense and/or a cloak of displacement would be very welcome as well. If the party doesn't have a rogue, toss things that fit that role at them: Gloves of thievery, any of those stealth enhancing cloaks/boots.

You might not be as limited as you think for weapons, either. Monk weapons include any simple weapon and short swords. A bunch of named swords of all rarities can manifest as any sword, so make one the party happens upon a short sword. Every mace is fair game, as are daggers and any staff without a spellcaster attunement requirement. A +x weapon with a humble d4 damage die might not be very appealing to characters who are after something a bit stronger or dex characters who need the finesse tag on their weapons, but it'd work just as well as anything else in the hands of a monk.

As for homebrew, nothing in the DMG deals with ki points. Something to let them recover 1d4 points in a pinch once per day is an idea, as is any item fueled by a monk's ki (giving them additional things to spend those points on). There aren't any items that augment unarmed strikes, so there's another gap you can fill, either with a boring +x bonus or with some kind of on-hit rider. In actual play, my monk's campaign has magic beer scattered throughout the world which, when drank, lets you roll on a chart to receive some minor perk. Suffice to say, one of my monk's arms has recently become detachable. I kinda doubt my DM will let me go full-Kratos with the thing, but I can definitely see some puzzle-solving uses for it.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Do you guys have any ideas for magic items or weapons for monks? Or any custom made items for a monk?

I'm going to have a lightning-fist in my game. It's treated as an unarmed attack (but also weapon attack, if the distinction matters). It can do a d8 lightning damage melee attack or 1d6 lightning ranged attack, and as an action you can use it to stabilise an adjacent creature. If the monk in the party uses it, I would let them substitute their martial arts damage on melee attacks if it is higher. No bonuses to hit or damage for being magic, but it would count as magic.

Sage Genesis posted:

No, resistance never stated that. Check the PHB (p. 197) and the MM (p. 8), resistance simply works against "a damage type".

Specific monster entries do/did claim that their specific resistances only work against non-magical weapons, but that's not the issue here. Sea Soul is not a monster ability, it's a class feature. Meaning it will apply to spells like Blade Barrier, to traps, to falling damage, etc.

On the other hand, I just noticed that Barbarian Rage was never errata'd either. So... I guess WotC really does want resistance to be basically two different rules for (N)PCs and monsters, which mostly overlap but not quite like some kind of weird Venn diagram.

I mean... take a typical Fire Elemental and a raging Barbarian, both of whom just happen to posses 102 hit points. Now throw them both off a cliff which just so happens to deal, say, 160 damage or so. Or something close to that.

The magical incarnation of flame itself will splatter to the ground and die on impact. The human being will stand up and brush himself off, because he's just too angry to be seriously hurt by that fall. Because their resistance abilities simply don't work the same. This is cool from a silly heavy metal point of view, but let's be honest it's also dumb as gently caress.

Sorry, yeah - I got that wrong. The references to non-magical weapons weren't in the Resistance rules themselves, but every monster I can find in the Monster Manual with resistance to physical damage types also specified that it was a resistance to damage from non-magical weapons. That means their resistance never actually helped monsters against Blade Barrier or falling damage.

Given that Watery Defence provides damage reduction against piercing, slashing and bludgeoning damage that's what I was focused on. It does provide resistance to fire damage, but as far as I can see the errata doesn't effect resistances to things like fire. The errata that I can find never changed to rules to state the Resistance itself is only against non-magical attacks of that kind, that has to be specified in the creature's stat block or the class feature rules, or wherever the resistance comes from.

Although, for bonus confusion, my Monster Manual incorporates the errata, so looking there doesn't help.

Sage Genesis posted:

Remember how they had to errata the Monster Manual to clarify that resistance was only supposed to apply to attacks, because you got unintended interactions with traps, spells, and falling damage?

I cannot find any errata that can be interpreted as doing this. Do you have a link?

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 7, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fist of the great god:
Spend 4 Ki to bump up your damage die for an encounter.
All of your damage dies.
You can then spend 4 again to double your damage, but you take 2 exhaustion.

Belt of the Triclops Master:
Spend 3 Ki to summon a copy of yourself that moves on your initiative step, it deals one damage die lower and can only use basic attacks and has limited HP.
It can still provide flanking and positioning bonuses, but not from actions like aid other.

Circlet of the Sun:
Spend 2 ki as a bonus or reaction to force a save vs reflex on creatures in front of you, the DC is 10+Wis. On a fail the creatures are blinded for a round, on success they lose the ability to oppurtunity attack for a round.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wait resistance doesn't apply to spells? Cold resistance doesn't reduce damage from cone of cold? :psyduck:

It totally does, the errata did not change resistance in a global fashion so that they only apply to non-magical attacks. It changed the verbiage from "non-magical weapons" to "non-magical attacks", but those exceptions to damage resistance are set out in the monster stat blocks, they aren't a universal rules of damage resistance.

All the errata says is:

“Particular creatures are even resistant or immune to damage from nonmagical attacks (a magical attack is an attack delivered by a spell, a magic item, or another magical source). In addition, some creatures are immune to certain conditions.”

That's simply a note that some stat blocks say that, it is not a rule of general application to resistances (I can only find examples of resistance to non-magical attacks relating to piercing, slashing and bludgeoning damage).

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 7, 2017

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mystic tattoo

Dipping your hand in this swirling jar of multicolored ink causes a living tattoo to crawl over your body and attach itself to you. Focusing on the tattoo allow you to cast X spell X(1-3) times per day but doesn't count as a spell and ignores things like componants and antimagic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Fist of the great god:

Circlet of the Sun:

These are all fine ideas, but personally I'm loathe to make items that also require other player resources to activate, because now you have to make the choice between spending Ki points on your normal abilities, or on the item.

If you make the item so much more powerful than what Monks already have to encourage them to spend their Ki points on it, then all you're really doing is placing a cap on the number of uses of the item itself, except it also costs the Monk their regular ability use.

Which then circles you back to the item should just have limited uses in and of itself.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
seriously no wizard items i can think of cost spell slots to use

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Razorwired posted:

We did. The first one had free Heavy armor and an expanded spell list. Which is probably why they did a new version.

The previous Favored Soul got medium armor, shields, and simple weapons -- not even martial, but still a step up from Sorcerer profs.

Like, it was basically good for playing a cleric that was CHA-based instead of WIS-based and more blasty than anything else, in terms of spellcasting. Even then, it's a concept that's mostly fluff and/or could be accommodated with house rules; this poo poo doesn't really need to be hard, printed character options.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Elfgames posted:

seriously no wizard items i can think of cost spell slots to use

If anything they give you extras.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think Monk items can/could (not necessarily should) cost Ki points but should also give you extra Ki to spend, thus making the items and class more flexible rather than less.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Like a +1 weapon, but your weapon is your fists.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Roving Boots
For every five feet you move before attacking, add +1 damage to any melee attack you hit with this turn. This effect is cumulative this turn.

Bracers of Ki Absorption
After hitting with an attack, you may choose to deal 1+Dex or Str damage instead of your usual damage. If you do, you may regain one ki point.

Headband of Spiritual Sense
You may use your Deflect Missiles ability against any ranged attack that isn't an area attack. There is no size limit on the attack when catching it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'm looking at giving this to my wrestling-themed monk:

quote:

Throne of the Lich

This chair can cast Fly on itself at will. A person attuned to it and seated on the chair can give mental commands to control it. It has a Fly speed of 30 feet and can be folded up for easier carrying when not in use. If used as a weapon, it is Versatile and does 1d6 (1d8) damage on hit.

As a bonus action, an individual attuned to the chair can channel its residual magical energies into an attack which does 1d10 Magic damage on hit.

A Lich spent a millenia or so with his rear end parked on this magic wheelchair.

Serperoth posted:

Bonesaw's Brilliant Headband

You can activate this item as a reaction. When activated, all attacks made against you automatically hit. If you begin your next turn without being Incapacitated, you regain Ki equal to 1/2 of the damage taken.

He's Hulking out!

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 7, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Serperoth posted:

what is the obsession d&d players have with luchadors? it's seriously weird how often they come up

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

what is the obsession d&d players have with luchadors? it's seriously weird how often they come up

Luchadors are cool. I know you try very hard to appear aloof and uncaring with your opinions and lack of punctuation so I hope this has helped.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

thefakenews posted:

I cannot find any errata that can be interpreted as doing this. Do you have a link?

No, I slightly misremembered. They did change the monster resistances to attacks (instead of weapons), but that was not due to the interaction with falling damage. You posted the quotes in reverse order, I did later come to realize that falling damage was still covered under damage resistance - provided you have the correct type of resistance (e.g. Barbarian Rage).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mil Muertes, the Thousand Deaths would be a great D&D character

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Luchadors are cool.

This, pretty much, but extended to wrestling in general.

Which reminds me, I should work on my wrestler class. Monk is way too limited.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Spend 3 Ki to summon a copy of yourself that moves on your initiative step, it deals one damage die lower and can only use basic attacks and has limited HP.
It can still provide flanking and positioning bonuses, but not from actions like aid other.

I wish Tien would use the body split again too.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Boots of water running. May move across liquid without sinking until movement stops.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm thinking of changing some of the worse monk skills they gain when they level up like timeless body. Is giving them a choice among a few feats a fair substitute to power it up?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

RC Cola posted:

I'm thinking of changing some of the worse monk skills they gain when they level up like timeless body. Is giving them a choice among a few feats a fair substitute to power it up?

Is it fun for the player? Is it fun for the other players (no role stomping)? Is it fun for the DM?

The answer to those questions is the answer you seek grasshopper.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
In the editions where feats were not optional, monk abilities were the trade off for not getting fighter bonus feats, so to me that's barely a house rule. You should totally let people swap things around to make the game better.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Serperoth posted:

This, pretty much, but extended to wrestling in general.

Which reminds me, I should work on my wrestler class. Monk is way too limited.

But it's weird in that there's ten thousand variations of luchador chars and not a single other type of wrestling guy/gal. Where are the Hulk Hogans and rouseys etc

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'm going to be giving my players the blessing of a goddess that will let them gain all benefits of a short rest once per day as an action. Someone tell me if this is a terrible idea.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

But it's weird in that there's ten thousand variations of luchador chars and not a single other type of wrestling guy/gal. Where are the Hulk Hogans and rouseys etc

I've always wanted to have a game where I can be Great Muta

Poison Spray is available to druids, wizards, and warlocks (edit: And I guess Bards through Magical Secrets?). Which one can we get the closest to this?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 7, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

so thats where yoshimitsu got it from

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

siggy2021 posted:

I'm going to be giving my players the blessing of a goddess that will let them gain all benefits of a short rest once per day as an action. Someone tell me if this is a terrible idea.

Eh, on the face of it, it seems like it would break some things to do it mid combat.

Why not shorten the 1 hour period to 5 minutes once per day instead?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

No, I slightly misremembered. They did change the monster resistances to attacks (instead of weapons), but that was not due to the interaction with falling damage. You posted the quotes in reverse order, I did later come to realize that falling damage was still covered under damage resistance - provided you have the correct type of resistance (e.g. Barbarian Rage).

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be tricky posting the quotes out of order; I edited my post a couple times as I was reading back through the thread so ended up addressing stuff out of order.

I didn't read your later post as changing your position on how monster resistances work so I didn't think the order mattered.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

so thats where yoshimitsu got it from

Literally yes.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Hey guys, so I joined an Adventurer's League and rolled up a character that I'd like to get some feedback on. Right now, most of the party consists of either close-range squishy types (bard, rogue, monk), a bow ranger, and two clerics. I've made a human fighter that got to choose the optional Human traits of 2 stats, skill, feat and picked up Sentinel because I want to sword and board enemies, control movement, punish anyone who isn't either attacking me or getting anywhere near me, and I plan on becoming a battle master at 3rd. I also picked protection as my first fighting style.

For the very first game, we got attacked and I actually died from 6 kobolds ganging up on me, but I was pretty happy that it takes that much concentrated firepower to drop me (including they all getting advantage and I didn't second wind at half health). I'd read suggestions online about taking polearm mastery feat for the additional zone control and possible shield mastery or mobile, as well as certain maneuvers. Anyone have any suggestions for making a solid defender style fighter, someone that is pretty solid at setting up allies for attacks, controlling fights and punishing enemies?

I chose to buy-in for stats, str 16 con 14, and applied the bonus point to both. Skies the limit from here on where to take my character.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

User0015 posted:

Hey guys, so I joined an Adventurer's League and rolled up a character that I'd like to get some feedback on. Right now, most of the party consists of either close-range squishy types (bard, rogue, monk), a bow ranger, and two clerics. I've made a human fighter that got to choose the optional Human traits of 2 stats, skill, feat and picked up Sentinel because I want to sword and board enemies, control movement, punish anyone who isn't either attacking me or getting anywhere near me, and I plan on becoming a battle master at 3rd. I also picked protection as my first fighting style.

For the very first game, we got attacked and I actually died from 6 kobolds ganging up on me, but I was pretty happy that it takes that much concentrated firepower to drop me (including they all getting advantage and I didn't second wind at half health). I'd read suggestions online about taking polearm mastery feat for the additional zone control and possible shield mastery or mobile, as well as certain maneuvers. Anyone have any suggestions for making a solid defender style fighter, someone that is pretty solid at setting up allies for attacks, controlling fights and punishing enemies?

I chose to buy-in for stats, str 16 con 14, and applied the bonus point to both. Skies the limit from here on where to take my character.

Rogue has no mechanical incentive ruleswise to operate in close range, by-the-by, unless they picked the swashbuckler archetype.

Regarding being a 'defendery' fighter that sets up control points - 5e mostly has you out of luck most of the time. You want to do at least a few of the following:
1. Take the Polearm master feat and use polearms instead.
2. Take the Sentinel feat, when you can.
3. Take the Tunnel Fighter fighting style instead, from this Unearthed Arcana article.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

User0015 posted:

. Anyone have any suggestions for making a solid defender style fighter, someone that is pretty solid at setting up allies for attacks, controlling fights and punishing enemies?

Unless there's a dwarven defender class that I've missed there really isn't a way to do this. Play a Cleric, use buffs and status effects liberally.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Eldritch knight can be a pretty good option for that imo depending on your spell selection. Stuff like fog cloud and shield are intelligence independent spells with lots of utility.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

User0015 posted:

party consists of either close-range squishy types (bard, rogue, monk), a bow ranger, and two clerics. I've made a human fighter

Party should be solid as gently caress. Clerics armored up too, bard is the best class, and that's 3 characters that can toss out a healing word if someone manages to drop. With a rogue/monk/fighter all in melee, bard should be dropping Faerie Fire for advantage on everything and Dissonant Whispers to give everyone crazy OAs and off-turn sneak attacks. The only thing really missing is area damage and the clerics might be doing that too.

A fighter in that sort of group should plan to use all the advantage going around from bards and monk stun. Shield mastery would be good too, to prone enemies for more group advantage. Remember to drop a battlemaster point if you crit, sort of a poor man's paladin smite for doubled maneuver damage. And don't forget about the dodge action if you do get swarmed by minions.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

User0015 posted:

I will give my perspective as someone playing a rogue:

It sounds like you are off to a very solid start. I would skip polearm mastery because your rogue will want you to be adjacent to the enemy so he can get his sneak attack off (thus negating the benefit of reach). Plus you like shields (polearms are 2H) and the extra AC never hurts for a sentinel.

I would choose Battle Master. Almost every maneuver in there will be of benefit to a coordinated party. Commander's strike, in particular, will always be welcome to rogues. A 2nd chance to use sneak attack is really powerful. Disarming attack would be fun too, especially if any of your melee fellows is a halfling and can move through the enemy's space to pick up that weapon.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

nelson posted:

I will give my perspective as someone playing a rogue:

It sounds like you are off to a very solid start. I would skip polearm mastery because your rogue will want you to be adjacent to the enemy so he can get his sneak attack off (thus negating the benefit of reach). Plus you like shields (polearms are 2H) and the extra AC never hurts for a sentinel.

I would choose Battle Master. Almost every maneuver in there will be of benefit to a coordinated party. Commander's strike, in particular, will always be welcome to rogues. A 2nd chance to use sneak attack is really powerful. Disarming attack would be fun too, especially if any of your melee fellows is a halfling and can move through the enemy's space to pick up that weapon.

The rogue is a halfling actually. I read about it and heard Commander's strike isn't good because of it costing all your actions essentially. Trip, riposte and precision strike were all recommended, plus whichever strike lets you terrify an opponent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Knight archetype from the Fighter Unearthed Arcana also has defendery options.

That + Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style + Sentinel feat+ Polearm Master feat should make you super defender-y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Hey all. Going to be starting a campaign soon and wanted to run it above 1st, probably around 9th.

Some of my players have some leftover characters they were wanting to play from an abandoned 1st level game, so I got thinking that might be a good opener.
Make level 1 characters and run a single session intro, establishing the players into the world and the characters history together, a little foreshadowing.

End of session instruct them that time jumps forward several years and they level up to 9.
They've been together since that fateful first adventure and are good friends.

I was also thinking of making a beholder dungeon with vertical shafts and a hateful eye tyrant troubling the lands around.

does this work?

Also how do I select magic items for character building at this level?
is there a table or rule of thumb?