Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

When does your mountain of skulls get installed? Sounds like you must have quite a pile of them by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Fun fact: You're supposed to get 960 ticks (16 seconds) between the infestation event triggering and insects spawning. But there's a bug that means you never get more than 250 ticks (and usually much less).

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Slung Blade posted:

When does your mountain of skulls get installed? Sounds like you must have quite a pile of them by now.

You would think so but I got this mod "vegetable garden" that lets you cremate corpses into fertilizer that's super good for growing. So I guess this is the best I can do as a testament to the fallen.

For now.

Zhentar posted:

Fun fact: You're supposed to get 960 ticks (16 seconds) between the infestation event triggering and insects spawning. But there's a bug that means you never get more than 250 ticks (and usually much less).

Now that is interesting. I just had one and it ended with two good soldiers as vegetables. Permanent <30% consciousness from mixed dismemberment and friendly fire. I had plans for those soldiers.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 6, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

When it comes to chickens, am I right that it's either all-or-nothing when it comes to eggs being fertilized or not? If I have roosters and hens, the eggs will be fertilized and I'll be gaining chickens constantly (presumably for meat-slaughtering). If I only have hens, the eggs will be unfertilized and they'll just remain eggs (for general food). Do I have this right?

e: vvv I was asking if there's any way to not have roosters fertilize everything.

Roosters gently caress chickens to make fertilized eggs, if you keep the roosters and the chickens apart they will not gently caress and will not produce fertilized eggs.

You could probably also freeze the fertilized eggs to sterilize them.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I had a lone soldier make a caravan once with some stolen loot. Among them was something like 20 fertilized eggs. They hatch on the way and he shared his foods with the chickens. Because of that he didn't have enough to make it back home.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MisterBibs posted:

When it comes to chickens, am I right that it's either all-or-nothing when it comes to eggs being fertilized or not? If I have roosters and hens, the eggs will be fertilized and I'll be gaining chickens constantly (presumably for meat-slaughtering). If I only have hens, the eggs will be unfertilized and they'll just remain eggs (for general food). Do I have this right?

e: vvv I was asking if there's any way to not have roosters fertilize everything.

You have to keep them separate. Create an animal area for hens/chicks, and an area for roosters.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there is an easier way to do that. just make a very small stockpile (1 square is fine) and make it fertilized eggs only, highest priority. then allow fertilized eggs to be stored in your freezer.

this will limit the number of chicks you can get to one stack of eggs (which i believe is 40). all other fertilized eggs will go into your freezer, where the sub-zero temperatures will immediately kill the embryo and basically make it an unfertilized egg.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
But then you'll have to set fertilized eggs in your cooking details and it could cause some of your cooks to start grabbing the ones you want to keep, depending on the stockpile priorities and distances.

The easiest way is to have 1 rooster and keep him separated from the hen zone and when you want new chicks, just send him in to fertilize them all. Roosters are boring as gently caress so it shouldn't take long for it to bang them all.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Teikanmi posted:

But then you'll have to set fertilized eggs in your cooking details and it could cause some of your cooks to start grabbing the ones you want to keep, depending on the stockpile priorities and distances.

The easiest way is to have 1 rooster and keep him separated from the hen zone and when you want new chicks, just send him in to fertilize them all. Roosters are boring as gently caress so it shouldn't take long for it to bang them all.

Ah but you can set maximum distance they will go to collect the eggs and then make sure the freezer is within that and the other stockpile isn't.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

So this guy. He whips out an automatic weapon in the middle of dinner in a crowded room. Gets tackled by half a dozen people and beaten to within an inch of his life before they take him to the hospital. A guard collects his rifle and brings it to the armory.

Spends a day in a coma before he wakes up. He opens his eyes, barely hanging on to life and he tries to speak. So I lean down to hear what I expect to be his final confession. A plead for forgiveness for what he was about to do.

His lips move.. "H...." "H..." I lean down closer. He's obviously in pain and he can barely move. His vital stats are all in the red and he has several broken bones. "H...." I hold his hand and encourage him. What is it my friend? What do you want to say?

"Hunter lacks ranged weapon"

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Dejawesp posted:

So this guy. He whips out an automatic weapon in the middle of dinner in a crowded room. Gets tackled by half a dozen people and beaten to within an inch of his life before they take him to the hospital. A guard collects his rifle and brings it to the armory.

Spends a day in a coma before he wakes up. He opens his eyes, barely hanging on to life and he tries to speak. So I lean down to hear what I expect to be his final confession. A plead for forgiveness for what he was about to do.

His lips move.. "H...." "H..." I lean down closer. He's obviously in pain and he can barely move. His vital stats are all in the red and he has several broken bones. "H...." I hold his hand and encourage him. What is it my friend? What do you want to say?

Hey, the guy clearly knew what he wanted out of life.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Dejawesp posted:

Pretty hard to take down the most dangerous game without your piece.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I feel like maybe the game should wait with reminding me about the lack of a ranged weapon until the guy is out of his hospital bed. They also complain when you make them go get a rifle.

Also what the hell. I gave one of my doctors bionic arms so he would work better. Then a prisoner tries to escape and the doctor punches one of his fingers off when subduing him.

I need him to have fingers when I recruit him damnit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dejawesp posted:

I feel like maybe the game should wait with reminding me about the lack of a ranged weapon until the guy is out of his hospital bed. They also complain when you make them go get a rifle.

To be fair, it's a (damned impressive) alpha. File a bug about it.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
So I got tired of my colonies growing quickly and becoming super overpopulated with converted prisioners that I decided to change the rules I play by. In my current game, I used prepare carefully to male everyone a psychopath, and I will only accept, buy, or recruit other psychopaths or immediate family members of existing colonists.

I started with 5 colonists and spent probably the first few days of gameplay with only these 5. There is one father/ son, but otherwise everyone is unrelated to each other. As psychopaths, that also means that even though they all crashed here together and have been working together for survival they are all barely acquaintances. After another few hours I recruited three relatives of my lead constructor (his dad was also a psychopath, bonus!!)

This is the only colony I've established with a fully built base where I haven't made peace with the tribals. At all. I just finished building the prison complex, so the possibly of taking prisoners is there but I am doing such a great trade in human leather and long pig that I have an insane amount of silver.

I've started buying up drugs in bulk from traders just so I can trade away the extra meat and resources (I accidentally set the base up so it makes enough food for 30+ colonists and I still have just 8.)

I do have one psychopath tribal I captured from a raid sitting in a random dark cave on the floor. They're missing a leg so I don't care how unhappy they are. I figure I'll start recruiting this one after the mortar complex is finished.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mean we really can't even say it's alpha anymore... the game has been out for like 3 years now.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Teikanmi posted:

I mean we really can't even say it's alpha anymore... the game has been out for like 3 years now.

the new globe poo poo is alpha i figure

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I kind of hope they add an ability to abstract alternate colonies a bit. Having multiple colonies running at the same time is a cool idea, but it doesn't matter how cool the idea is if it's practically infeasible considering what it does to the framerate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

Two, strictly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Teikanmi posted:

Its an alpha in that there isn't a feature lock yet. Its maybe not a useful term for the continuous development scheme popular for sandboxes and simulations when a patch is basically an expansion from the player's point of view.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

I kind of hope they add an ability to abstract alternate colonies a bit. Having multiple colonies running at the same time is a cool idea, but it doesn't matter how cool the idea is if it's practically infeasible considering what it does to the framerate.

I'd prefer it if the game just flat out froze the colony you weren't zoomed in on. It makes not make sense but at least it's fun, saves frame rate and lets you spread out more to harvest whole maps of people and resources.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Can anyone give me some tips on the Lovecraft Cult mod? I keep getting my rear end kicked or driven insane by cosmic horrors.

Should I be researching the successful cult tech over and over?
Do different hoods do different things?
Any tips on a good god to worship?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Should I be researching the successful cult tech over and over?

No, all it does is raise cult-mindedness on the researcher, which goes up for free on the entire colony if you have them attend a sermon.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Do different hoods do different things?

They increase the odds of successful rituals when the executioner is wearing the appropriate one. All hoods seem to have the stats of cowboy hats, so they're good against hot environments and boost social chat impact.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any tips on a good god to worship?

The only difference in gods is what rituals they give you access to. Here's all the rituals I've unlocked.

Cthulhu
1 - Spawns a drop pod similar to a Rich Explorer start. A good weapon, some silver, some food, some medicine, etc. There's also an insane guy in the pod but both times I tried this the insane guy just ran off the map immediately. Theoretically you could capture him and wait for the madness to wear off in a couple days.
2 - Turns a random arm or leg on a random one of your colonists into a tentacle, which functions as a bionic that adds +20% manipulation. You can't control who gets it, though.
3 - Gives a psionic brain to the guy running the execution, which functions as a bionic in the brain slot that provides +20% manipulation and +20% consciousness, which affects every single action in the game and makes them ridiculously good at everything. They also use a psionic attack when engaging in melee, which means not only are they obscenely accurate with their guns, they're super lethal if forced into melee. Super good.
4 - Drives every hostile entity on the map insane. Presumably this means they start beating the poo poo out of each other. I haven't tried this yet.
5 - ?

Nyarlathotep
1 - Adds the psychopath trait to the guy running the execution. If he's already a psychopath, adds the cannibal trait. This does not replace existing traits.
2 - Adds a big chunk of research points to your currently active research.
3 - Removes all "incapable of X" features off the executioner. The skill gets raised to 3, and the pawn will have no passion for it though. Could be good if you just need to make guys capable of hauling / cleaning / firefighting.
4 - Summons two pawns that instantly join your colony. You don't get to see their stats ahead of time, they might be crap.
5 - Wins the game.

Shub Niggurath
1 - "Blesses your crops". I haven't tried this.
2 - "Summons some animals for you to hunt." I haven't tried this.
3 - Adds a big chunk of research points to your currently active research. Just like Nyarlathotep's, but unlocks later.
4 - ?
5 - ?

Dagon
1 - Spawns a shipwreck on the map that you can deconstruct for a few hundred wood, steel, and plasteel.
2 - Spawns some treasure chests on the map that you can open for gold, jade, and silver.
3 - Summons some hostile-to-everyone mobs at a pre-determined (by you) location? I haven't tried it.
4 - Spawns a shipwreck that also has treasure chests and a bunch of insane sailors on the map. When I tried this most of the sailors were having berserk and sad wandering fits, the rest just left the map. They were hostile to me when I got close though, and were equipped with decently dangerous weapons.
5 - ?

There's no penalty for switching so once you unlock all the rituals you care to you can swap to another one later, and swap back whenever you want.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I keep getting a message about a thief stealing things. Does anyone know what this is related to and how to stop it?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Mzbundifund posted:

No, all it does is raise cult-mindedness on the researcher, which goes up for free on the entire colony if you have them attend a sermon.

They increase the odds of successful rituals when the executioner is wearing the appropriate one. All hoods seem to have the stats of cowboy hats, so they're good against hot environments and boost social chat impact.

The only difference in gods is what rituals they give you access to. Here's all the rituals I've unlocked.

Cthulhu
1 - Spawns a drop pod similar to a Rich Explorer start. A good weapon, some silver, some food, some medicine, etc. There's also an insane guy in the pod but both times I tried this the insane guy just ran off the map immediately. Theoretically you could capture him and wait for the madness to wear off in a couple days.
2 - Turns a random arm or leg on a random one of your colonists into a tentacle, which functions as a bionic that adds +20% manipulation. You can't control who gets it, though.
3 - Gives a psionic brain to the guy running the execution, which functions as a bionic in the brain slot that provides +20% manipulation and +20% consciousness, which affects every single action in the game and makes them ridiculously good at everything. They also use a psionic attack when engaging in melee, which means not only are they obscenely accurate with their guns, they're super lethal if forced into melee. Super good.
4 - Drives every hostile entity on the map insane. Presumably this means they start beating the poo poo out of each other. I haven't tried this yet.
5 - ?

Nyarlathotep
1 - Adds the psychopath trait to the guy running the execution. If he's already a psychopath, adds the cannibal trait. This does not replace existing traits.
2 - Adds a big chunk of research points to your currently active research.
3 - Removes all "incapable of X" features off the executioner. The skill gets raised to 3, and the pawn will have no passion for it though. Could be good if you just need to make guys capable of hauling / cleaning / firefighting.
4 - Summons two pawns that instantly join your colony. You don't get to see their stats ahead of time, they might be crap.
5 - Wins the game.

Shub Niggurath
1 - "Blesses your crops". I haven't tried this.
2 - "Summons some animals for you to hunt." I haven't tried this.
3 - Adds a big chunk of research points to your currently active research. Just like Nyarlathotep's, but unlocks later.
4 - ?
5 - ?

Dagon
1 - Spawns a shipwreck on the map that you can deconstruct for a few hundred wood, steel, and plasteel.
2 - Spawns some treasure chests on the map that you can open for gold, jade, and silver.
3 - Summons some hostile-to-everyone mobs at a pre-determined (by you) location? I haven't tried it.
4 - Spawns a shipwreck that also has treasure chests and a bunch of insane sailors on the map. When I tried this most of the sailors were having berserk and sad wandering fits, the rest just left the map. They were hostile to me when I got close though, and were equipped with decently dangerous weapons.
5 - ?

There's no penalty for switching so once you unlock all the rituals you care to you can swap to another one later, and swap back whenever you want.

Thanks! One more question, what are these strange red and black trees all over the map?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Thanks! One more question, what are these strange red and black trees all over the map?

Spawns once your guy goes nuts on day 2 or 3. It's part of the "create a grimoire" event. The only use I know for them after that is chopping them down for wood.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Anyone running the JTReplacewalls mod for upgrading walls? The steam workshop site is saying it has some bugs in A16 but this feels like a must have mod to me, upgrading walls is quite a operation to do.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Cthulhu and Dagon?

The whole point of that book was that people thought they were worshiping the Hebrew god of fishing but they were in fact giving themselves up to Cthulhu.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Delerion posted:

upgrading walls is quite a operation to do.

It's kinda annoying to do, but to ensure no "oh god the roof fell down on your pawns" situations, I find it easiest to mark for dismantling every other block in the walls, wait for them to do that, and then redraw the lines and repeat the other half once the first are completed.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Spaseman posted:

I keep getting a message about a thief stealing things. Does anyone know what this is related to and how to stop it?

That's from either the Psychology mod or its required other mod. Not sure of the exact mechanics but there's basically an invisible pawn that moves to whatever they're stealing then makes for a map edge. Your colonists can catch them, at which point they become visible and go hostile.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you're not building everything with granite right from the start I don't know what to tell you.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Dejawesp posted:

You would think so but I got this mod "vegetable garden" that lets you cremate corpses into fertilizer that's super good for growing. So I guess this is the best I can do as a testament to the fallen.

I would say that the rabbit hole gets deeper with every post of yours I read, but at this point I'm just gonna assume it has no end.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Note that there's dozens of different crop options in that mod for a well balanced diet but all his subjects get is potato.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like the mod that adds mushrooms so I can have a vegan colony. I feel bad murdering all the animals but mostly it's just a pain in the rear end since farming is a sort of "set and forget" sort of thing.
I also feel bad when garbage animals self-tame and they are rewarded with slaughter.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Delerion posted:

Anyone running the JTReplacewalls mod for upgrading walls? The steam workshop site is saying it has some bugs in A16 but this feels like a must have mod to me, upgrading walls is quite a operation to do.

I use it, I don't have any issues with it in A16. Works flawlessly, I built a temporary-slapdash workshop out of wood, and when I went to replace the walls with granite, I just drew the walls overtop the existing ones. I forgot I did it, and when I went back to look at the workshop after a while, it was completely replaced.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I'm sure its been mentioned a few times but I can't find it... What was the name of the mod which creates blueprints for things are are destroyed? So I don't manually have to tell pawns to rebuild walls all the time...

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

I'm sure its been mentioned a few times but I can't find it... What was the name of the mod which creates blueprints for things are are destroyed? So I don't manually have to tell pawns to rebuild walls all the time...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=817231829

By the guy who sticks these big useless stories before mod descriptions so alt-text is entirely worthless.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=817231829

By the guy who sticks these big useless stories before mod descriptions so alt-text is entirely worthless.

This story is 2 and a half page downs. What the gently caress man, bible verses aren't this verbose.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Start a tribal colony, make it a season, eat plague through four of my six tribals, lose immediately. Such is life on the Rim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
My colony is running too well and I'm bored of it. Which option?

A) swap to Cassandra
B) attempt to get closer to the exit ship