Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are they going to throw the new Dalai Lama kid in prison? They've been claiming he's a terrorist and whatnot for decades, so it would be pretty weird if they let his next incarnation just set up shop in Tibet.

Well they also claim that they have the right to decide who he reincarnates into because 5000 years of Tibet obeying the Middle Kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Except you actually feel sorry for Jared

Careful dude, that guy fucks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ceciltron posted:

Well they also claim that they have the right to decide who he reincarnates into because 5000 years of Tibet obeying the Middle Kingdom.

Right. He's totally going to incarnate into a Han kid next time. But if they play along that it is really the same guy, then he's still a terrorist. If it's not the same guy, then that's not the real Dalai Lama and the real one is at large somewhere still being a terrorist.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are they going to throw the new Dalai Lama kid in prison? They've been claiming he's a terrorist and whatnot for decades, so it would be pretty weird if they let his next incarnation just set up shop in Tibet.
The Dalai Lama said it might all end with him and he might no even be reincarnated, perhaps but China disagrees, you see.

You can't make this poo poo up, because the chinese already made it all up first: China Says It Will Decide Who the Dalai Lama Shall Be Reincarnated As

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Dalai Lama will be reincarnated as a 45-year old party official whose wife's family owns a paper mill in the Lhasa suburbs.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

peanut posted:

The Dalai Lama will be reincarnated as a 45-year old party official whose wife's family owns a paper mill in the Lhasa suburbs.

Seems auspicious imo

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

quote:

Quora posted:

Ya, I don’t care what you Taiwanese think about the answer by bashing me. It will just make me laugh since I basically said what the mainland Chinese think about and quoted some. If you really want an answer, I hope many of the younger Taiwanese aren’t Chinese since it brings disgrace to my culture. I am one step short of the idea of “keeping the island without people”. There was a lot of good impression about Taiwan if it is 10 or 20 years earlier, but now, it is overwhelmingly negative even for what used to be Taiwan’s stronger areas thanks for the DPP brainwashing. Anyway, turning off the comment since I think I have enough explanation. It is just some Taiwanese kids who failed their reading comprehension and cannot understand what it is to answer a question. I have quite a few Taiwanese friends who I can even discuss politics constructively and impartially. We can criticize both sides and laugh together without being ignorant since we can corroborate things easily.

As for democracy, look at Tsai and her DPP and what they did after winning the election especially when it is about KMT. Guess what, even if I want to have full democracy in China and having Taiwan as an example of Chinese democracy (no, no Singapore, I don’t consider it as democratic as TW), I would be really hating on the idea now given how Taiwanese thought they have better manner.

(rant over and mic drop)[/b]

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Haier posted:

Now they're just taking who they want:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...66087d7f44d877f

It goes on. You would think that billionaires are usually above the law, but not in CCP China. You would also think that a billionaire who knows he might be abducted would hire some loving personal security or wear an ankle monitor or something. He might also not even go back to China or Hong Kong, but LOL, nope.

It's likely just part of Uncle Xi's "Anti Corruption" action. Using state sanctioned powers to steal money from people who could potentially be rivals or dissidents is about as old a trick as there is.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Baronjutter posted:

It's been a loooong march, gettin' from there to here.

:golfclap:

I got you bro.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Haier posted:

Now they're just taking who they want:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...66087d7f44d877f

It goes on. You would think that billionaires are usually above the law, but not in CCP China. You would also think that a billionaire who knows he might be abducted would hire some loving personal security or wear an ankle monitor or something. He might also not even go back to China or Hong Kong, but LOL, nope.

drat. are they going maoist again? some dude on another thread said XI was trying to head back in that direction. i am sure the tankies are thrilled.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dapper_Swindler posted:

drat. are they going maoist again? some dude on another thread said XI was trying to head back in that direction. i am sure the tankies are thrilled.

He's been trying to arrest anyone who has any reason to oppose him.
He's been trying to consolidate control of the country's armed forces to himself and his cronies.
Trying to craft a cult of personality by show-boating against the west.
Significantly increasing censorship and crackdowns on any manner of dissent.
And he's been trying to cultivate the idea that the party is dependant specifically on himself, "so maybe term limits are a bad thing?".

I don't know about Maoist. . . more like "Putinist"?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Blistex posted:

He's been trying to arrest anyone who has any reason to oppose him.
He's been trying to consolidate control of the country's armed forces to himself and his cronies.
Trying to craft a cult of personality by show-boating against the west.
Significantly increasing censorship and crackdowns on any manner of dissent.
And he's been trying to cultivate the idea that the party is dependant specifically on himself, "so maybe term limits are a bad thing?".

I don't know about Maoist. . . more like "Putinist"?

Will it work? I thought the party apparatus had safe guards against these kind of power moves. Is the CCP going to bend over and take this or are they going to get a share of Xi's good fortune and power?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Last night I was supposed to meet this girl from Tantan for like a walk-date thing. We had already met last week at her place and got frisky, and this time she was in my area and wanting to take a stroll and see my house. It was looking good.
I was actually coming home from somewhere else, so I sent her my house location and told her to meet me there. She says she can't read a map and is sure she'll get lost, and she needs me to show her. I told her to just try anyway. Sure enough, she starts walking a totally wrong direction and I ask her to stop and turn around because now she's going to another neighborhood. About twenty minutes after that, I have dumped my stuff off at home and am outside trying to find her. Eventually she finds the Metro station and we meet.

Why is it soooooooooooooooooo common here that people can't read a map and follow the little arrow showing them that's their location? Countless dumbos have been completely unaware about how to read a map or use GPS location or follow the route that the app makes for them. It's mind boggling to me.

Anyway, we're walking and her phone keeps buzzing. She's keeps opening Wechat to write something, saying it's her job. I can see it's all in English, and her job is entirely in English, so I don't think anything of it. About ten minutes later it starts making a different sound. I'm in the middle of telling her something and I look over and she's got Tantan open and chatting with some white guy. Ok, that's too weird. I can't go for that.

Me: "Ok, I'm going home now. Thanks."
Her: "WHAT? Why are you going home? I don't understand!?"
Me: "You have Tantan open. That's rude as hell. I know Chinese have no sense of not using their phones all the time but, where I come from, chatting a bunch during a date gives the other person the ability to walk away."
Her: "Oh my god! I am so sorry! This is the same reason my ex left me! Please forgive me!"
Me: "Your ex left you because of your chatting? Hahahahahahahahahaha"
Her: "Yes, he was always complaining we were having a special moment and then I began to chat. He said I was addicted to my phone and Wechat. I am trying to stop, but it's so difficult.
Me: "Yes, it's very rude. I'd leave you too if you were ruining everything with this poo poo."
Her: "Ok, I am sorry! Can we please just continue? I don't want to go home."

Since she didn't know my area, I took her for a loop around the block. She had no sense of space and where we were going. We rounded a corner and one of the Metro exits came into view, and I pointed at it and said "There's your station, have a good night! Dhanyavad!" (Hindi for 'thanks a lot'). "WHAT? WHERE ARE YOU GOING? WHAT DOES THAT WORD MEAN? WHY????????????"
I kept walking and she didn't follow me. About five minutes later I get a flurry of about twenty messages in Wechat and a bunch of one-minute-long voice messages trying to explain how badly she had failed in her last relationship because of her chatting, and if I could just give her one more chance and she won't be addicted to her phone soon and I got it ALL WRONG!!!
LOL. I don't care much, but I just think it's dumb to do that while you're face to face with another person. Wait until someone goes to the toilet or something, or mute the drat thing until you're alone.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It's likely just part of Uncle Xi's "Anti Corruption" action. Using state sanctioned powers to steal money from people who could potentially be rivals or dissidents is about as old a trick as there is.
It says that in the article, and it's probably true. I am sure they also just don't want people removing billions from the economy, as they are already pretty upset about millionaires fleeing with their money.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Automatic Slim posted:

Will it work? I thought the party apparatus had safe guards against these kind of power moves. Is the CCP going to bend over and take this or are they going to get a share of Xi's good fortune and power?

No idea if it's going to work, or if Xi is truely trying to do that (all signals point to "yes"), but when you've arrested and disappeared anyone who might have protested your power moves, other tend to keep their heads down. He's been slowly moving in this direction from the instant he took over for Hu, and he still has half of his "state limited" reign to change things. One interesting thing to note is that many believe that Jiang Zemin has been the de-facto leader of China since he left office, since he had so heavily stacked the government and military in his favour. The instant Xi was sure he had sacked and arrested enough of Jiang's cronies, he placed him under arrest. While he might not literally sit in his current position for longer than his term, he might just pull a "Jiang" and just run the country from behind the curtains.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are they going to throw the new Dalai Lama kid in prison?

If the situation in Tibet hasn't improved significantly by the time such things become necessary, the 15th Dalai Lama will definitely be found outside of Tibet- perhaps in the Tibetan exile settlements in India. A group of the highest lamas from each school of Tibetan Buddhism will sign off on this child, a scene that will contrast very strikingly with the lack of influential lamas present at the Jokhang ceremony choreographed by Beijing when they unveil their rival Dalai Lama. Just like their Panchen Lama, Beijing will find their Dalai Lama almost completely useless. His mere existence will be an affront to the vast majority of Tibetans, and any attempt to force Tibetans to treat him as an object of veneration will trigger further instability across Tibet- see, for example, how even decades after the real Panchen Lama was forcibly disappeared by Beijing, calls for his release remain common at Tibetan demonstrations, and in the words of self-immolators.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Haier posted:

Why is it soooooooooooooooooo common here that people can't read a map and follow the little arrow showing them that's their location? Countless dumbos have been completely unaware about how to read a map or use GPS location or follow the route that the app makes for them. It's mind boggling to me.

I thought the chinese government made large parts of their gps roadmap data wrong on purpose and if I ever heard a reason I forgot it. I mean in other countries it's to test for copyright infringement, i.e., you stole our maps, there's no such thing as gotcha, motherfuckers boulevard.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

Anyway, we're walking and her phone keeps buzzing. She's keeps opening Wechat to write something, saying it's her job. I can see it's all in English, and her job is entirely in English, so I don't think anything of it. About ten minutes later it starts making a different sound. I'm in the middle of telling her something and I look over and she's got Tantan open and chatting with some white guy. Ok, that's too weird. I can't go for that.

Me: "Ok, I'm going home now. Thanks."
Her: "WHAT? Why are you going home? I don't understand!?"
Me: "You have Tantan open. That's rude as hell. I know Chinese have no sense of not using their phones all the time but, where I come from, chatting a bunch during a date gives the other person the ability to walk away."
Her: "Oh my god! I am so sorry! This is the same reason my ex left me! Please forgive me!"
Me: "Your ex left you because of your chatting? Hahahahahahahahahaha"
Her: "Yes, he was always complaining we were having a special moment and then I began to chat. He said I was addicted to my phone and Wechat. I am trying to stop, but it's so difficult.
Me: "Yes, it's very rude. I'd leave you too if you were ruining everything with this poo poo."
Her: "Ok, I am sorry! Can we please just continue? I don't want to go home.".

lol a girl at the bar one time added me on wechat look around while she was on a date with a guy at the bar and messaged me asking if I had a girlfriend and if I was down to bang. I messaged her back "isn't that you on a date with the guy at the table near the door?" And she was like "yeah but he's not my boyfriend"

She banged my roommate later that week and he said he regretted it and I told him my story and he said I had more willpower than he did, heh

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Its off near important stuff so you can't cruise missile it using baidu maps.

The rest of the time its pretty accurate, but map reading seems to be a skill many people lack.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
My girlfriend is loving useless with maps, if she is using baidu maps she has to stare at her phone, walks about 5 meters, looks up and spins in circles looking confused, then back to staring at the map and shuffling along another couple of meters and repeat. Even if its on a straight road and there is only one direction to go she does this. I look at the map for 5 seconds and tell her where to go but she never believes me, I have never been wrong but she still never listens. Another thing she will do is if we are looking for somewhere and I see it and point it out she will stop and squint and blindly walk sideways into the middle of the road trying to get a better angle to see it, if you ask her why she doesnt just keep walking she will say no it might not be the right place even if we are walking in that direction anyway.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's different now but when I was first in Thailand if you got a map out to show a cabbie he'd stare at it in this total state of puzzlement and almost distrust, slowly turning it in his hands, sounding out whatever words he found i on it in Thai, and so far as I could tell never aware for an instant that the lines squiggled all over the paper were anything more than doodles.

I guess at some point we're taught how to use road maps in the West because seeing one of those guys try to figure out what a map was was like watching a monkey try to work a pressure cooker.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 7, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Sheep-Goats posted:

Maybe it's different now but when I was first in Thailand if you got a map gps out to show a cabbie he'd stare at it in this total state of puzzlement and almost distrust, slowly turning it in his hands, sounding out whatever words he found i on it in Thai, and so far as I could tell never aware for an instant that the lines squiggled all over the paper screen were anything more than doodles.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Maybe it's different now but when I was first in Thailand if you got a map out to show a cabbie he'd stare at it in this total state of puzzlement and almost distrust, slowly turning it in his hands, sounding out whatever words he found i on it in Thai, and so far as I could tell never aware for an instant that the lines squiggled all over the paper were anything more than doodles.

I guess at some point we're taught how to use road maps in the West because seeing one of those guys try to figure out what a map was was like watching a monkey try to work a pressure cooker.

I think they might just not be able to read? Quite often if I gave them an address written in Thai they would just look at it confused and I'd have to call someone to get them to say it for them then they'd understand.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Anyone have the video of the malnourished slantpoor who can't can't grip the IPhone parts right? That one cracks me up every time

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Blistex posted:

No idea if it's going to work, or if Xi is truely trying to do that (all signals point to "yes"), but when you've arrested and disappeared anyone who might have protested your power moves, other tend to keep their heads down. He's been slowly moving in this direction from the instant he took over for Hu, and he still has half of his "state limited" reign to change things. One interesting thing to note is that many believe that Jiang Zemin has been the de-facto leader of China since he left office, since he had so heavily stacked the government and military in his favour. The instant Xi was sure he had sacked and arrested enough of Jiang's cronies, he placed him under arrest. While he might not literally sit in his current position for longer than his term, he might just pull a "Jiang" and just run the country from behind the curtains.

I never knew this was the fate of Jiang's political machine. Smart on Xi's part. I only knew that Jiang was seen as overstaying his welcome.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I think they might just not be able to read? Quite often if I gave them an address written in Thai they would just look at it confused and I'd have to call someone to get them to say it for them then they'd understand.

I think they can read, I just think they have no conception that such a thing as a map has been birthed by mankind. But I'm not sure.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think they can read, I just think they have no conception that such a thing as a map has been birthed by mankind. But I'm not sure.

A while back google maps revamped how suggested routes are displayed and it really confused me the first few times I used the new system. I guess it looks better on mobile devices this way? (At the time I just looked up the map on my desktop and printed it out on a B&W printer, and the new design was poo poo for my purposes.) Anyway, my point is even if you are familiar with maps in general, an unfamiliar map style can still be incomprehensible at first.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Back in antiquity, people used the landmarks on the shoreline for maritime travel. If your thais have such a premodern spatial conception, try using landmarks to tell them where to go. Straight to Wat Kittyporn, then right at the intersection, straight to Nongpantsdown

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Haier posted:

"There's your station, have a good night! Dhanyavad!" (Hindi for 'thanks a lot'). "WHAT? WHERE ARE YOU GOING? WHAT DOES THAT WORD MEAN? WHY????????????"

This is like the most bizarre humble brag.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

A while back google maps revamped how suggested routes are displayed and it really confused me the first few times I used the new system. I guess it looks better on mobile devices this way? (At the time I just looked up the map on my desktop and printed it out on a B&W printer, and the new design was poo poo for my purposes.) Anyway, my point is even if you are familiar with maps in general, an unfamiliar map style can still be incomprehensible at first.

This is a street map of Bangkok, that you are showing to a taxi driver, in Bangkok.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JaucheCharly posted:

Back in antiquity, people used the landmarks on the shoreline for maritime travel. If your thais have such a premodern spatial conception, try using landmarks to tell them where to go. Straight to Wat Kittyporn, then right at the intersection, straight to Nongpantsdown

The Thois mate

I'll just call me missus

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

The Great Autismo! posted:

lol a girl at the bar one time added me on wechat look around while she was on a date with a guy at the bar and messaged me asking if I had a girlfriend and if I was down to bang. I messaged her back "isn't that you on a date with the guy at the table near the door?" And she was like "yeah but he's not my boyfriend"

She banged my roommate later that week and he said he regretted it and I told him my story and he said I had more willpower than he did, heh
Considering how much friends and couples just sit in restaurants and bars not even talking to each other and instead playing on their phones in silence, I feel like this kind of thing is very common. Especially if someone is new to getting the validation-addiction going, they might find it impossible to NOT do it.

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

My girlfriend is loving useless with maps, if she is using baidu maps she has to stare at her phone, walks about 5 meters, looks up and spins in circles looking confused, then back to staring at the map and shuffling along another couple of meters and repeat. Even if its on a straight road and there is only one direction to go she does this. I look at the map for 5 seconds and tell her where to go but she never believes me, I have never been wrong but she still never listens. Another thing she will do is if we are looking for somewhere and I see it and point it out she will stop and squint and blindly walk sideways into the middle of the road trying to get a better angle to see it, if you ask her why she doesnt just keep walking she will say no it might not be the right place even if we are walking in that direction anyway.
At least she tries. I was walking through a park with that girl that asked me to lunch before the holiday, and she told me she had gotten lost in that park during lunch one day and was lost for 3 hours and had to get her boss and coworkers to find her. I pointed to the tall buildings and said "Don't you work there? Couldn't you have just walked to the buildings since you can see them?" and she said "I didn't think about that at the time."

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is like the most bizarre humble brag.
How on Earth is that a brag at all? "Thanks" in another language is forbidden? Especially since I took Hindi lessons and have lived in India for years. I said it to confuse her, and it worked. I often do this here when I want to be annoying. I throw in a word or phrase from somewhere else and don't explain myself, and they have to question if maybe their English skills are lacking.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

How on Earth is that a brag at all? "Thanks" in another language is forbidden? Especially since I took Hindi lessons and have lived in India for years. I said it to confuse her, and it worked. I often do this here when I want to be annoying. I throw in a word or phrase from somewhere else and don't explain myself, and they have to question if maybe their English skills are lacking.

I do this too except I make up a language and make like a hex sign too. Gives em a story, that's for sure

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Haier posted:

It must be shocking when they run in to foreigners that a language other than English. They're used to be being able to speak some English to a foreigner's face, than Chinese behind their backs. But what do they do when the foreigner speaks a language other than English??

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Haier posted:

You're way too old to be such a goddamn child, holy moly.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

This is a street map of Bangkok, that you are showing to a taxi driver, in Bangkok.

Many of the cab drivers I used in Bangkok were actually from lovely mountain villages and they had no idea of anything outside the route between Khao San and the airport. The tuktuk bros were more likely to be local/familiar.
I always wondered if the multiple flipped over taxis on the way to the airport were a frequent occurrence or if they just left wrecks abandoned until scrap pickers took it away.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Don't be such a meany. Oide Eule.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You literally do get better results in Bangkok giving people landmarks instead of a map, that's just how they prefer to navigate. I do get it in that sense of, like, they're happier using their experience (when they have it) and saying "okay this foreigner lives near [temple/landmark/large, named apartment building]" rather than relying on Bangkok street addresses and GPS since the addresses often don't make sense and the streets are laid out in a pretty chaotic way.

Every so often you get Somchai Buffalohead from the sticks who has to stop and ask directions, though.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Gentleman, the party has officially been pooped on.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I've definitely noticed a lot of people in shanghai haven't figured out the concept where you only need to look in a few specific places to get most of the information you need about something. Like skimming a newspaper article or a textbook, over time you pick up what parts to look at and you've got 80% of the story. The same thing applies with navigation and few people here get it.

When you come down the stairs/escalator to the subway platform, shoot a glance above the gates on either side and you've got a map with train direction and your current location. Or in beijing shoot a glance at the columns when you get downstairs. Local-style is instead to sprint back and forth to any open subway cars while gawking, even if you've lived there for years.

When you get on the subway, glance above the door and you've got a route map that takes a few seconds to review. Local style is instead to lean over the guy in front of you and shove your face super close while you carefully read every stop's name aloud and maybe do some math for about 25 seconds.

When you're checking a map on the street and need to figure out what road you're actually on, go to any intersection and glance at the big signs for names and cardinal directions - it's wicked easy. Local-style is, well the posts in this thread where you drown in a dog's water dish because you cant find your way out

i swear this has to be a side effect of being conditioned from an early age to Mr Magoo your way through life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

You literally do get better results in Bangkok giving people landmarks instead of a map, that's just how they prefer to navigate. I do get it in that sense of, like, they're happier using their experience (when they have it) and saying "okay this foreigner lives near [temple/landmark/large, named apartment building]" rather than relying on Bangkok street addresses and GPS since the addresses often don't make sense and the streets are laid out in a pretty chaotic way.

Every so often you get Somchai Buffalohead from the sticks who has to stop and ask directions, though.

My friends lived on the same soi as a notorious brothel (at the other end of it, but still) and they frequently got the Thai equivalent of "VERY NICE *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*" when telling cabbies to take them home.

I found the lack of map skills cropped up sometimes, especially in rural areas. I don't think it was not understanding the text (actual illiteracy is not super common unless you're in an area with some pretty insular [or marginalised] ethnic minorities), but having trouble with the concept, which makes sense if you haven't been exposed to it much.

• Locked thread