Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
my and my ex drank our way through h1n1

just sat on the couch and drank natty ice for a week shivering and sweating and leaking fluids in all directions with a body ache slightly numbed by alcohol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my bout of swine flu was very unpleasant, luckily it was pretty much over with by the third day

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Update:

Puke bucket was not necessary. I had plenty of warning.
Down side is the dry heaves for the last half hour. Every muscle in my body aches right now. Death walked by my window, laughed at me, then continued on. Suffering is eternal.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

At least you aren't dry heaving on the pavement every 10 minutes from a 24 hour stomach bug like I did 8 years the day before my cousin's wedding in Washington state. Normal vomiting pales in comparison to that.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/JAdomian/status/828833851602563072

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

you mean alt-good

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my bout of swine flu was very unpleasant, luckily it was pretty much over with by the third day

:same:

worst illness i ever had was pneumonia last year which i had no idea i had until i fell over and felt like i had a heart attack in the middle of the night but the paramedics didn't find any heart problems and it tooks a chest x-ray to figure it out

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
someone just linked me a livestream of the filibuster of betsy devos and right now it's tim kaine saying that private schools are explicitly racist

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

someone just linked me a livestream of the filibuster of betsy devos and right now it's tim kaine saying that private schools are explicitly racist

Would've been nice to have gotten some of that during the campaign, buddy.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i appreciate the effort tim kaine made to get drunk at campaign events and play the harmonica while his wife clog danced

you can't ask for more from a vice presidential candidate

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

he's not wrong

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

The bucket is what you hold as you run to the bathroom and is in case you cant make it in time. What are you, new?
cant you hold your mouth shut for 3 seconds ?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cant you hold your mouth shut for 3 seconds ?

not everyone is a vomit prodigy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

imagine this please sc,

you are sick, you are very nauseas and you think you may vomit sometime in the near to medium term future

due to your illness you feel a lot of fatigue and rather than laying on the cold tile of your bathroom floor, you prepare to fitfully sleep in your own bed

now, you worry that the urge to vomit might come upon you so suddenly that you will not be able to get out of bed and stagger to your bathroom in time, so instead of projectile vomiting all over your bed spread and carpeting, you grab a plastic bucket and put it by your bedside in case the worse should come to pass
lol if you don't have a heated floor in your bathroom

also are you like a twig who cant lift tucked in bed sheets or something

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
https://www.c-span.org/video/?423606-1/us-senate-democrats-hold-senate-floor-night-devos-vote-looms

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

At least you aren't dry heaving on the pavement every 10 minutes from a 24 hour stomach bug like I did 8 years the day before my cousin's wedding in Washington state. Normal vomiting pales in comparison to that.
have you tried eating properly done steaks

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lol if you don't have a heated floor in your bathroom

also are you like a twig who cant lift tucked in bed sheets or something

Are heated bathroom floors normal in Former Soviet Baltistan?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/eminemobama/status/828897137937244161

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Are heated bathroom floors normal in Former Soviet Baltistan?
not uncommon for middle class. at this place, bathroom and toilet has carpets, kitchen floor is heated

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just listened to an interview with that Syrian chick who voted for Trump and then had her non citizen family kicked out of the country lol. It's great because she's Christian so she sort of bought into the whole keep the terrorists out thing, like race wasn't going to play a role at all.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/yemen-raid-had-secret-target-al-qaeda-leader-qassim-al-n717616?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma lol if this is even a single bit true

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not uncommon for middle class. at this place, bathroom and toilet has carpets, kitchen floor is heated

Heated bathroom floors aren't even booj in the US, that would just be upper class.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

:ohdear:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ah, poo poo

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it's ok, they've got it under control now

it made for an interesting tuesday evening though

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Avshalom posted:

it's ok, they've got it under control now

it made for an interesting tuesday evening though

Is it true the fire danger signs start at "HIGH" over there?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pirate Radar posted:

Is it true the fire danger signs start at "HIGH" over there?

They start at Low-Moderate. Then High.

It continues for 3 or 4 more stages after that. The top one is "CODE RED / Catastrophic", which often means the sign itself is on fire.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 7, 2017

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
vanya and the keets are safe

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Federal Communications Commission's new anti-regulation stance is now affecting prisons. BuzzFeed News reports that the FCC is no longer defending two key parts of its caps on prison phone call rates: limits on intrastate call rates and the methods used to determine those rates. Ultimately, it's expected to push for eliminating the caps altogether. While this doesn't end litigation from phone service providers attempting to overturn the caps (they're merely on hold, not scrapped), it finds the FCC supporting the very companies it was challenging just weeks earlier.

The telcos have argued that the previous FCC administration had misinterpreted federal law. A clause requiring that providers be "fairly compensated" was meant to give the companies their due, according to attorneys, not to keep rates artificially low. The caps were supposedly so dire that the service operators were taking losses.

However, that still raises a question: what, if anything, will the FCC do to keep the call rates in check if the current rules go away? The limits came about precisely because rates were being used as a roundabout way of discouraging prisoners from calling. If there are no limits in place, it may be prohibitively expensive for inmates to stay in touch with family and friends. While there is the potential for abuse, fewer calls could isolate prisoners and increase the chances that they'll be maladjusted if and when they're set free.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Avshalom posted:

vanya and the keets are safe

the soul and conscience of dadchat is intact

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Breitbart, the website Bannon created, and the hate-filled language of alt-right politics, are decidedly Leninist in tone. Above all, Lenin needed to invent enemies he had to be seen to defeat. In post- revolutionary Russia it was the kulaks – richer farmers who were “sucking the blood” of poorer peasants, bankers who were war profiteering, the “elite” (a word Lenin used frequently) who treated the majority with contempt. He despised so-called “experts” who claimed a monopoly of knowledge. He often said that a worker with five days’ training could run a government department. He scapegoated opponents and labelled them “enemies of the people”.

Lenin abolished the existing legal system and started afresh. Within a few weeks his regime closed down the first freely elected parliament in Russia’s history – and the Soviets never allowed another one. It would be wrong to assume that the next step for Trump is the abolition of Congress, or the construction of labour camps. But the unprecedented war by tweet between the administration and the judiciary over the president’s executive order on immigration has real echoes of Bannon’s revolutionary hero.

Lenin would very likely have identified 2017 as a revolutionary moment. He matters today not because of his flawed and bloody answers, but because he was asking questions similar to those we are asking today. In his quest for power, Lenin promised people anything and everything. He offered simple solutions to complex issues. He lied unashamedly. He justified himself on the basis that winning meant everything; the ends justified the means. Lenin was the godfather of post-truth politics. Powerful people have learned depressing lessons from him.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Avshalom posted:

tuesday evening

Yesterday was Monday.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

AARO posted:

Yesterday was Monday.
i'm in australia, it's tuesday night here

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's wednesday morning actually

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Avshalom posted:

i'm in australia, it's tuesday night here

Ah...my response was just brought on by the fact that you made me double check what day it was.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
can't wait for devos to get voted in on a 50/50 voting split with pence as the tiebreaker!!!!!!!!!!!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exmarx posted:

Breitbart, the website Bannon created, and the hate-filled language of alt-right politics, are decidedly Leninist in tone. Above all, Lenin needed to invent enemies he had to be seen to defeat. In post- revolutionary Russia it was the kulaks – richer farmers who were “sucking the blood” of poorer peasants, bankers who were war profiteering, the “elite” (a word Lenin used frequently) who treated the majority with contempt. He despised so-called “experts” who claimed a monopoly of knowledge. He often said that a worker with five days’ training could run a government department. He scapegoated opponents and labelled them “enemies of the people”.

Lenin abolished the existing legal system and started afresh. Within a few weeks his regime closed down the first freely elected parliament in Russia’s history – and the Soviets never allowed another one. It would be wrong to assume that the next step for Trump is the abolition of Congress, or the construction of labour camps. But the unprecedented war by tweet between the administration and the judiciary over the president’s executive order on immigration has real echoes of Bannon’s revolutionary hero.

Lenin would very likely have identified 2017 as a revolutionary moment. He matters today not because of his flawed and bloody answers, but because he was asking questions similar to those we are asking today. In his quest for power, Lenin promised people anything and everything. He offered simple solutions to complex issues. He lied unashamedly. He justified himself on the basis that winning meant everything; the ends justified the means. Lenin was the godfather of post-truth politics. Powerful people have learned depressing lessons from him.
somewhere in norway, a lone accidental lumber thief sits down, his hearth aching

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

loving latvia, i cant find pesto cheaper than 3 dollars for half a cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

7 dollars for a pound, smh

• Locked thread