Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

B. Start over. RimWorld is a colony building game, once you've built your colony that's all there is to it at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yoloer420 posted:

My colony is running too well and I'm bored of it. Which option?

A) swap to Cassandra
B) attempt to get closer to the exit ship

C) Both

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I've never used the dev console. Could you, say, spawn a raid, infestation and mechanoids all at once? Oh, and a boomalope manhunter pack. That would be fun.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=817231829

By the guy who sticks these big useless stories before mod descriptions so alt-text is entirely worthless.

They get a bit wordy and sometimes finding the actual info about the mods can be a hassle.

Vegetable garden is fun but it does have its issues. One being designing stuff to be seen from an angle as opposed to straight up.

Sometimes this just leads to hilarity. (check out that golden horseshoe pole. Who say's I don't take care of my people?)

And sometimes vertigo.

:stare:

This one needs tending by a doctor before it's too late.

I love manhunter packs.

Biggest one yet. I lost the screenshot of it on the map but it was so many that they passed the trench and started mauling my conscripts.

You know the mortar volley was swift when you have the lingering thought-bubbles of vaporized people complaining about seeing dead people.

This one was hit so hard on the head that they went into a coma and the only thing that could get them out of it was Luciferium.

Really mourning that wife I see.

And finally

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

yoloer420 posted:

My colony is running too well and I'm bored of it. Which option?

A) swap to Cassandra
B) attempt to get closer to the exit ship

Do B! My nomad game has been pretty fun.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
What do people here think of drugs (in rimworld duh)? Grow for profit? For medical use? If I start producing joints but forbid their use will chemically interested colonists try to secretly smoke them regardless?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Trogdos! posted:

What do people here think of drugs (in rimworld duh)? Grow for profit? For medical use? If I start producing joints but forbid their use will chemically interested colonists try to secretly smoke them regardless?

Drugs for use is a disaster. Even the social ones.

Chemically interested people will still use drugs, binge and overdose as long as they have a physical path to drugs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's all about the profits.

e: obviously don't dip into the product yourself

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 7, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Alchenar posted:

It's all about thep rofits.

:ese:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Question: when I set Item quality on the crafting details what precisely does that do?

It is a roundabout way of limiting which skill-level colonists will take the job?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Trogdos! posted:

Drugs are good for mood triage like as a countermeasure to unavoidable moodlets when your luck temporarily runs out. If you want an example of what happens if you use it for mood or joy continuously check out some of Dejawesp's posts in the thread.

Don't discount the administer smokeleaf option on the medical operation page. Its incredibly useful for disease convalescence before your hospital turns into the funnest place on earth because it is a joy source (I think? Not sure if they lose that by not smoking under their own power), a positive moodlet, and a painkiller so it can be amazing to prevent the death spirals where someone gets a wander break and loses the bed bonus to immunity.

Similarly before your recruitment prisons turn into luxury hotel resorts you can ply them with drugs.

Its so little work and has no quality so drugs are really good at using unskilled labor to turn plant matter into silver.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 7, 2017

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

straw man posted:

Infestations are pretty OP. What would be a good nerf to them?

I just wound up making Not Galt's Gulch, a scenario about the Trump ruled future.

You flee from the TRUMP WORK™ camps, have a work speed bonus, no supplies, and massive malnutrition and toxic buildup. But Trump XXIII had a bug war and won somehow, so there are no bugs anywhere ever, bigly.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Playstation 4 posted:

I just wound up making Not Galt's Gulch, a scenario about the Trump ruled future.

You flee from the TRUMP WORK™ camps, have a work speed bonus, no supplies, and massive malnutrition and toxic buildup. But Trump XXIII had a bug war and won somehow, so there are no bugs anywhere ever, bigly.

Oh hey politics :frogout:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the basic rundown of the dope in this game is like this:

social drugs (alcohol, weed): use to treat major break risks, ideally brought on by major but temporary things. someone's bonded pet/spouse dying, withdrawal mood penalties, etc.

hard drugs (yayo, wake-up, go juice, etc): use to accomplish specific jobs. use wake-up on doctors right before surgery, yayo/go juice on soldiers right before combat, etc. knowing exactly what to do here requires being familiar with what affects the speed/efficiency of various jobs. don't ever use flake, it's just a lovely form of yayo.

luciferium: not even once. okay, MAYBE if you are a very mature colony and have someone with brain damage and otherwise there's no way to save them, because luci will help reverse that brain damage. i generally consider luci addicts to be dead men walking, though, because it's so, so easy to get a drought where no new traders show up with more of the drug. keep a cryptosleep casket on hand for every luci addict you have unless you're cool with sealing them into a death chamber cask of amontillado style.

all hard drugs should be administered manually unless you are feeding an addiction, which might make sense to do if you have someone you need active and ready to work. you will however, long term, want to get ALL junkies clean - it's just a liability otherwise. social drugs you can set up a manual drug policy that says something to the effect of "one joint/beer every 3 days, if mood <50%", and that will allow your pawns to use social drugs responsibly. drugs are generally good to sell but you will have more luck just selling clothing, generally speaking.

withdrawals: withdrawals of ANY hard drugs are nasty as hell - especially go-juice. you have a couple of options for dealing with them; a joint or two a day of smokeleaf is the easiest thing. if you use too much of it (i personally limit junkies to one or two per day) you might trade your hard drug addition for a smokeleaf addiction, but smokeleaf is not a difficult habit to shake. this has the benefit of keeping the pawn working and active, though at a reduced rate.

the safest thing to do is to change the pawn's schedule so they have Sleep for 20 hours a day, and only a pair of 2 hour blocks for "Anything", which they will mostly use to eat. put a TV in their room to keep their Joy up if possible, and keep a light on in their room. junkies of hard drugs are hard to get work out of in the first place so this is basically giving up on them until they're clean. keeping them in bed will generally keep them stable and prevent them from doing something moronic. after they're clean you can return them to a normal schedule, but getting clean takes at minimum two full seasons.

withdrawals of social drugs are annoying but manageable. if the junkies are being really obnoxious you might need to seal away your beer and weed for a season to keep people from cheating. you can do this by simply making a critical quality stockpile, getting all that junk in one place, and then walling it up. junkies will sometimes ignore forbidden doors so do not count on that to keep them away. bed rest should not be required if the rest of your colony isn't depressing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Has anyone tried the Nerve Staple mod? I've been thinking about downloading it since hey, what's another atrocity or two for the road.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I learned you can disable events in the scenario editor. No short circuits, no solar flare, no infestations!
I don't know if it's a side effect but holy poo poo this batch throws a lot of parties. The first thing they did was throw a party instead of important work. They throw a party every few days!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

I like the mod that adds mushrooms so I can have a vegan colony. I feel bad murdering all the animals but mostly it's just a pain in the rear end since farming is a sort of "set and forget" sort of thing.
I also feel bad when garbage animals self-tame and they are rewarded with slaughter.

Vegetable garden adds tofu as a meat option as well

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Coolguye posted:

the basic rundown of the dope in this game is like this:

social drugs (alcohol, weed): use to treat major break risks, ideally brought on by major but temporary things. someone's bonded pet/spouse dying, withdrawal mood penalties, etc.

hard drugs (yayo, wake-up, go juice, etc): use to accomplish specific jobs. use wake-up on doctors right before surgery, yayo/go juice on soldiers right before combat, etc. knowing exactly what to do here requires being familiar with what affects the speed/efficiency of various jobs. don't ever use flake, it's just a lovely form of yayo.

luciferium: not even once. okay, MAYBE if you are a very mature colony and have someone with brain damage and otherwise there's no way to save them, because luci will help reverse that brain damage. i generally consider luci addicts to be dead men walking, though, because it's so, so easy to get a drought where no new traders show up with more of the drug. keep a cryptosleep casket on hand for every luci addict you have unless you're cool with sealing them into a death chamber cask of amontillado style.

all hard drugs should be administered manually unless you are feeding an addiction, which might make sense to do if you have someone you need active and ready to work. you will however, long term, want to get ALL junkies clean - it's just a liability otherwise. social drugs you can set up a manual drug policy that says something to the effect of "one joint/beer every 3 days, if mood <50%", and that will allow your pawns to use social drugs responsibly. drugs are generally good to sell but you will have more luck just selling clothing, generally speaking.

withdrawals: withdrawals of ANY hard drugs are nasty as hell - especially go-juice. you have a couple of options for dealing with them; a joint or two a day of smokeleaf is the easiest thing. if you use too much of it (i personally limit junkies to one or two per day) you might trade your hard drug addition for a smokeleaf addiction, but smokeleaf is not a difficult habit to shake. this has the benefit of keeping the pawn working and active, though at a reduced rate.

the safest thing to do is to change the pawn's schedule so they have Sleep for 20 hours a day, and only a pair of 2 hour blocks for "Anything", which they will mostly use to eat. put a TV in their room to keep their Joy up if possible, and keep a light on in their room. junkies of hard drugs are hard to get work out of in the first place so this is basically giving up on them until they're clean. keeping them in bed will generally keep them stable and prevent them from doing something moronic. after they're clean you can return them to a normal schedule, but getting clean takes at minimum two full seasons.

withdrawals of social drugs are annoying but manageable. if the junkies are being really obnoxious you might need to seal away your beer and weed for a season to keep people from cheating. you can do this by simply making a critical quality stockpile, getting all that junk in one place, and then walling it up. junkies will sometimes ignore forbidden doors so do not count on that to keep them away. bed rest should not be required if the rest of your colony isn't depressing.

This is a good post.

I give Luciferium to old people before I harvest their organs so they don't escape early through death by infection.

When it comes to helping people go through drug withdrawal I found that it helps to amputate one of their legs and then let them stay in bed until they are clean. After that you can give them a bionic/prosthetic leg if they are useful or a peg leg if they are less useful.

Does anyone here have a good way to make pawns be less frivolous in their wear on clothes?

If I have 10 pawns. I make 20 sets of clothes. One to wear and one as replacement.

They will wear a shirt to 80%. Then switch that for a 100% shirt, then wear that shirt to 70 or 60% and then switch to the 80% shirt and wear that to 60%. And it makes my clothes stockpile look like this

And I can't set them to be incinerated automatically because worn out clothes sell for a lot of silvers.

What I want is for my pawns to wear a single piece of clothing until it counts as tattered (50% or so) and then switch it out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Question: when I set Item quality on the crafting details what precisely does that do?

It is a roundabout way of limiting which skill-level colonists will take the job?

I believe, weirdly, it will limit the quality of the items used to craft.

But, as input items don't generally have quality, it's kind of irrelevant. I think it's just part of the common interface.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dejawesp posted:

And I can't set them to be incinerated automatically because worn out clothes sell for a lot of silvers.

What I want is for my pawns to wear a single piece of clothing until it counts as tattered (50% or so) and then switch it out.

I can't do much about your pawn behaviours but you could make a separate stockpile for <50% clothes combined with outfit restrictions for >50% clothes and then you have a working pile with wearables and a trash pile with stuff for the charity shop spaceship.

It won't stop their fashion choices but it will give you a more visible guide as to what you have.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Unless you're pinching pennies its almost never a waste to have a 10+ crafter doing any tailoring even if dusters and cowboy hats are better so you can set up a stock target and just sell the rattiest outfits instead of trying to wear everything down to 50%.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

I can't do much about your pawn behaviours but you could make a separate stockpile for <50% clothes combined with outfit restrictions for >50% clothes and then you have a working pile with wearables and a trash pile with stuff for the charity shop spaceship.

It won't stop their fashion choices but it will give you a more visible guide as to what you have.

Oh I have that:

Display cases: 60-100% normal-legendary (Important)

Nice Stockpile: 60-100% normal-legendary (preferred)

Junk stockpile with orbital trade beacons (1-59%, shoddy-poor)

Good clothes go to display cases first. Extras after that go into the nice storage. Bad clothes go into the junk storage and will be seen in the inventory when trading with ships.

But most traders come in person and that shows every single item you own. I wouldn't mind a mod that made visiting traders bound by trade beacons.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have my crematorium set to burn anything clothing less than good and any clothing less than 50%, it takes care of the clutter pretty good.

I'm not sure if it's vanilla or from a mod but I noticed any clothing or armour off someone who died gets a "D" modifier that gives a bad mood to anyone wearing it, yet at the same time there's absolutely no way to assign outfits to not wear D clothing or tell a stockpile to filter it or a crematorium to burn it. It's quite annoying. If that dead guy's shirt is creeping you out why not go wear this nice new shirt you fuckman??

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Delerion posted:

Anyone running the JTReplacewalls mod for upgrading walls? The steam workshop site is saying it has some bugs in A16 but this feels like a must have mod to me, upgrading walls is quite a operation to do.

JT detours almost as much as I do, which is definitely cause for concern with his mods.

Britnoth's Zone Tools also allows upgrading walls, plus a couple other useful tools.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not sure if it's vanilla or from a mod but I noticed any clothing or armour off someone who died gets a "D" modifier that gives a bad mood to anyone wearing it, yet at the same time there's absolutely no way to assign outfits to not wear D clothing or tell a stockpile to filter it or a crematorium to burn it. It's quite annoying. If that dead guy's shirt is creeping you out why not go wear this nice new shirt you fuckman??

You can directly tell crematoriums to burn it by unchecking "allow non-deadman's". You can indirectly filter it out of stockpiles by having a high priority apparel stockpile with "allow non-deaman's" unchecked. You can't filter it out of outfits but colonists give it a very low score in their apparel selection, so if there's a non-deadman's clothing option that they won't put on, that probably means you forced them to wear the deadman's one.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Zhentar posted:

You can directly tell crematoriums to burn it by unchecking "allow non-deadman's". You can indirectly filter it out of stockpiles by having a high priority apparel stockpile with "allow non-deaman's" unchecked. You can't filter it out of outfits but colonists give it a very low score in their apparel selection, so if there's a non-deadman's clothing option that they won't put on, that probably means you forced them to wear the deadman's one.

I was about to say this. I have my crematorium set to burn dead mans clothes because they sell poorly and colonists mostly refuse to wear it.

Baronjutter posted:

I have my crematorium set to burn anything clothing less than good and any clothing less than 50%, it takes care of the clutter pretty good.

Yeah but that's a ton of silvers wasted too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought I poured over the interface for any mention of that, but I guess it's in there! Sometimes the item filter menus can be a bit non-intuitive.
Also if it's not good enough for my people to wear, it's not good enough to sell. I won't harm my colony's reputation by selling garbage used clothing!

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

I thought I poured over the interface for any mention of that, but I guess it's in there! Sometimes the item filter menus can be a bit non-intuitive.
Also if it's not good enough for my people to wear, it's not good enough to sell. I won't harm my colony's reputation by selling garbage used clothing!

I know what you mean.

Pro-Rimworld lifehack: Keep an eye out for weddings. They're an excellent time to harvest organs. The mood bonus from the wedding will easily net you six organs from two people or eight organs from four people. It's a bargain!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really never have mood problems. Everyone's always pretty much maxed out. My biggest problems are immoral idiots divorcing and cheating and "social fighting" and poo poo like that but they get over it fast.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mzbundifund posted:

Shub Niggurath
1 - "Blesses your crops". I haven't tried this.

I can tell you how the this one works. If successful, a small totem will spawn by the altar. You can reinstall it like any furniture. It has a radius of I think five or six tiles, and within that area, crops have a huge boost to fertility. Like 80% I think. The totem lasts for... a season, I want to say? Ten days maybe? A decent time, at any rate. It's very very useful for a small and specialized growing area to boost stuff that grows slowly or whatever.

e; most drugs are more trouble than they're worth but beer is okay and weed is loving great, it has basically no downsides and even addiction is pretty easy to overcome, and you can easily make a lot of it to sell for space dolla.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dejawesp posted:

When it comes to helping people go through drug withdrawal I found that it helps to amputate one of their legs and then let them stay in bed until they are clean. After that you can give them a bionic/prosthetic leg if they are useful or a peg leg if they are less useful.
this is effectively what i am suggesting by setting their schedule to be sleeping 20 hours a day, yeah. someone in bed is far less likely to have a mental break and if they do they're going to have it in the middle of your settlement, where you can at least keep an eye on them or alternately arrest them. being a prisoner is an alternate way to keep them in one drat place while they get the crud out of their systems.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So, I haven't played this for a while. Did we get a major update since page 224? :iamafag:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The difference between mandatory bedrest/prisoner and amputation is that if a leg amputee has a break, they can't actually act out any of the bad parts of breaking.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why y'all need so many organs anyways? I'd rather have some more haulers/cleaners than organs.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Baronjutter posted:

Why y'all need so many organs anyways? I'd rather have some more haulers/cleaners than organs.

Most prisoners are worth more dismantled, especially if they don't haul or clean

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

zedprime posted:

The difference between mandatory bedrest/prisoner and amputation is that if a leg amputee has a break, they can't actually act out any of the bad parts of breaking.

also the high chance of death or further maiming owing to unnecessary surgery, the wasted medical supplies, the chance of infection, and the wasted resources going into an unnecessary prosthetic

i'm also 85% sure that the most common breaks (various styles of wandering) respect forbidden doors so you if you get the notification you can just pause quickly and lock the broken moron in their room.

Baronjutter posted:

well most people do it in a 'money at any cost' bid but deja is probably doing it just because it amplifies suffering and that boy is all about that

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 7, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In my experience it's honestly less effort to just sell drugs and high-quality clothes, unless you're playing on an ice sheet or something with really limited growing space. I don't ever really have money shortages past year 1. Organ harvesting is just too much micromanagement worrying about mood breaks and having to manually queue up all those harvest operations for me. I just don't capture garbage prisoners unless I want to release them for faction good will.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

In my experience it's honestly less effort to just sell drugs and high-quality clothes, unless you're playing on an ice sheet or something with really limited growing space. I don't ever really have money shortages past year 1. Organ harvesting is just too much micromanagement worrying about mood breaks and having to manually queue up all those harvest operations for me. I just don't capture garbage prisoners unless I want to release them for faction good will.

yep. unless everyone is a psychopath or some similar edge case that eliminates the downside, being really lovely to your prisoners just has too many pitfalls for me to consider it a worthwhile endeavor. even on ice sheets, there are easier ways after you have your first ~5k silver. namely, simply buy your raw materials from a bulk goods trader (ideally just wood), refine (through art or construction), and sell to the next merchant (typically an exotic goods merchant).

organ harvesting can help you get to that critical mark but it does not scale well and is almost as hard on your guys as it is on the 'donors'.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just churn out art and sell that. And huge cotton farms and i'll sell raw cotton or raw stone blocks to bulk goods people for many thousands. Money is very easy to come by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, that's the preferred way of handling business on warm biomes. even overproducing base foods works really well for bulk goods traders simply because you can turn out so many potatoes and so much rice. the modified trade values in A16 where you can now generally trade at market value completely changed the game.

now if i could just get some douchbag with some loving uranium i would be off the rock my colony's currently on