Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Argas posted:

Those are fungoid ships IIRC, just not the usual color scheme.

Nah that's vanilla fungoid ship colour.

Just be aware there's a bug with fungoid battleships, the artillery bow won't display weapons for some reason. You won't notice while you're flying them around shooting alien vessels but it was pretty noticeable when I was designing my disgusting mushroomman fleet. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I wish they made federations a thing a player would actually want to be part of :(

I haven't really had much of a problem with Federations as of yet. So I am curious, what's the problem with them exactly? They seem to never object to liberation wars and really the only annoying thing is when they make constant war proposals giving me nothing and I get big diplo hits for saying no (why can't I make a counter-proposal adding some extra conditions?).

Now granted I rarely play all the way to the win screen because the victory conditions in this game are horrid, I just consider the game over when the awakened FEs/Endgame crises are dealt with (by that time it's always been pretty much a given that no normal empire in the game can challenge me), so I can see how they could become an impediment to actually hitting the victory screen, but other than that they seem functional as a way to make normal empires think twice about warring me or my allies.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 7, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Korgan posted:

Nah that's vanilla fungoid ship colour.

Just be aware there's a bug with fungoid battleships, the artillery bow won't display weapons for some reason. You won't notice while you're flying them around shooting alien vessels but it was pretty noticeable when I was designing my disgusting mushroomman fleet. :v:

It looked weird to me since they're usually more blackish with green lighting but I guess the yellow lighting makes it look different.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Poil posted:

I wish scrolling in menus wasn't such a pain, the bar on the right is so narrow and if you move your mouse pointer one pixel too far to the right it closes the window. Whoever designed that deserves a slap in the face by a gross alien's extremity.

:agreed:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Magil Zeal posted:

I haven't really had much of a problem with Federations as of yet. So I am curious, what's the problem with them exactly? They seem to never object to liberation wars and really the only annoying thing is when they make constant war proposals giving me nothing and I get big diplo hits for saying no (why can't I make a counter-proposal adding some extra conditions?).

Now granted I rarely play all the way to the win screen because the victory conditions in this game are horrid, I just consider the game over when the awakened FEs/Endgame crises are dealt with (by that time it's always been pretty much a given that no normal empire in the game can challenge me), so I can see how they could become an impediment to actually hitting the victory screen, but other than that they seem functional as a way to make normal empires think twice about warring me or my allies.

They put a host of limitations on your foreign policy options, cost 2 influence per month, and give you basically nothing in return. You're vastly better off just going it alone and being free to conquer poo poo, because it's pretty easy to build up to the point where nothing short of an awakened ascendancy would dare attack you anyway. If you're really worried about somebody jumping you, 1-2 defensive pacts are a much better idea.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The main problem with federations is the leadership structure. If I could just.. choose not to lead the federation, then they would be great because I could let the AI handle all the war poo poo while I focus on my happy little empire management game. That would totally be worth all the other drawbacks.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Political structures you can be a part of and subvert, like being a vassal in ck2, would be pretty rad. Also more ways to organise your federation's voting laws.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Theres some wierd glitches with the federation fleets too, when i inheret one theyll automatically return to wherever they were at when it inherited which makes them unusable.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
it'd also be great if you could create different kinds of federations, like you could have your base alliance sort of federation, or a ur Quan battle thrall hierarchy sort of situation where there's one undisputed master of the whole shebang and everyone else provides ships or resources, kinda as like a mega-vassal thing that you can't annex

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

They put a host of limitations on your foreign policy options, cost 2 influence per month, and give you basically nothing in return. You're vastly better off just going it alone and being free to conquer poo poo, because it's pretty easy to build up to the point where nothing short of an awakened ascendancy would dare attack you anyway. If you're really worried about somebody jumping you, 1-2 defensive pacts are a much better idea.

I guess, but a federation costs less influence than 3+ defensive pacts which is why I use them. Also because I like having stable allies.

I can see the argument that you don't get much out of getting a formal alliance though. It does seem like I quickly outclass all the AI players that aren't FEs and while having a safe border is nice I rarely have the AI declare war on me anyway, unless it's a FE I pissed off or an advanced start neighbor who was opposite ethos. I can see how there might be limited usefulness to them, I never really felt tied down though since liberation wars are generally a freebie and that's mostly what I declare.

Agean90 posted:

Theres some wierd glitches with the federation fleets too, when i inheret one theyll automatically return to wherever they were at when it inherited which makes them unusable.

A fix for this was posted a few pages back, just create a new fleet and move all the federation ships into it to make it stop doing that.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Reminding people I want more custom goon races, a lot more, especially some FEs.

If you submitted in the old thread that was NOT to my mod but to the one that got abandoned so please resubmit here.

use the keyword SPECIES SUBMISSION so I notice your post

Also someone mention this in one the stellaris discords
What's the difference between a normal custom race and a FE one?

Also, is it just me or are slaves almost never really worth it? I'm not really seeing any great benefits to them, especially if they're now making keeping them even more complicated...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also, is it just me or are slaves almost never really worth it? I'm not really seeing any great benefits to them, especially if they're now making keeping them even more complicated...
if you build your society around them, slaves make a ton of sense because you will be able to out-produce egalitarian societies with less overhead.

in practice, however, it's so fiddly that it's a wank

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm okay with slavery being a trap option that ultimately creates more problems then it solves, personally speaking

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Magil Zeal posted:

I guess, but a federation costs less influence than 3+ defensive pacts which is why I use them. Also because I like having stable allies.

I can see the argument that you don't get much out of getting a formal alliance though. It does seem like I quickly outclass all the AI players that aren't FEs and while having a safe border is nice I rarely have the AI declare war on me anyway, unless it's a FE I pissed off or an advanced start neighbor who was opposite ethos. I can see how there might be limited usefulness to them, I never really felt tied down though since liberation wars are generally a freebie and that's mostly what I declare.
Style differences I guess. I've never felt the need for more than one defensive pact, and I don't think I've ever signed NAPs beyond the first ten years. And I want my 'allies' to get screwed over as hard as possible without involving me, because it makes conquering them easier.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What's the difference between a normal custom race and a FE one?

One: You write a backstory that's actually relevant to being an FE rather than the normal kind of "we just made it to the stars" backstory.

Second: You tell me it's a fallen empire, so I can switch the fallen empire race toggle, which will make the race show up as a fallen empire instead of as a normal race (when there are FE slots available, of course)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I might make some more races of my own, so if you want to throw out concept ideas feel free to inspire me if you're too lazy to put in a real race. :v:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Looking forward to the expansion. Gonna make all of my dudes robots :awesomelon:

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
In the current version slavery is not worth the extra micro and issues it creates with factions and unrest. I see it as a roleplay option like xenophobe. With Banks, it sound like they are getting rid of some of the micromanagement issues it has to make it worth it as an alternative option. I still expect it to be a headache that creates more problems as the game goes on as it is now. The game does punish you for doing actions like that. The unrest and diplomatic issues caused by it are the cost which is justified.

That said most of my games have been with the individualist ethos. It's way too easy to be a warmonger and ignore what your pops think or want. Basically the galaxy hates you if you are an isolationist xenophobe that doesn't have slavery or purge, but they will love you when you brutally conquer them as a fanatic individualist. Bonus points if your 'democratic' leaders keep getting reelected and serve for life. You can do the same with xenophile.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

AriadneThread posted:

i'm okay with slavery being a trap option that ultimately creates more problems then it solves, personally speaking

it could be another end game crisis situation. if you really on slavery to a certain extent, then eventually you have a mass uprising that threatens to bring down your empire.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kilravock posted:

That said most of my games have been with the individualist ethos. It's way too easy to be a warmonger and ignore what your pops think or want. Basically the galaxy hates you if you are an isolationist xenophobe that doesn't have slavery or purge, but they will love you when you brutally conquer them as a fanatic individualist. Bonus points if your 'democratic' leaders keep getting reelected and serve for life. You can do the same with xenophile.
the biggest balance problem i see with the game right now is that there is no real reason to conquer territory using anything but integration of vassals. if you can't vassalize the guy you're attacking, liberate as many of his planets as possible to make a splinter power. you won't take any diplomatic maluses, the splinter power and their parent power will HATE each other so you actually REDUCE the amount of diplomatic heat you're taking, and when the truces expire you can declare multiple wars one after the other to keep vassalization on a fairly consistent schedule. individualist, xenophile, xenophobe, communal, pacifist, militarist - it literally never not makes sense to vassalize, or liberate if vassalization is not an option. it may seem like it takes longer, but between the liberation wars you WON'T fight, the recently conquered happiness malus causing internal political problems, and all the other problems that come with using cede territory, i'm not convinced it's substantially different.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The final Diplomacy reveal is up, and it's a Xenophile's dream:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828882978017247232

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Poil posted:

I wish scrolling in menus wasn't such a pain, the bar on the right is so narrow and if you move your mouse pointer one pixel too far to the right it closes the window. Whoever designed that deserves a slap in the face by a gross alien's extremity.
Scrolling sucks way less in 1.5!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there going to be any new art (specifically species) packed in with Utopia? Or as a separate cosmetic pack?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Roland Jones posted:

The final Diplomacy reveal is up, and it's a Xenophile's dream:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828882978017247232

That building is already available to Xenophiles, it's just moving it from unique tech to tradition tree.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

LordMune posted:

I hope this is how the patch notes read.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Drone posted:

Is there going to be any new art (specifically species) packed in with Utopia? Or as a separate cosmetic pack?

I'd pay for a species robotics pack, so that my synths look like their birdy progenitors.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Kitchner posted:

That building is already available to Xenophiles, it's just moving it from unique tech to tradition tree.

And it's still also not worth building because who cares about migration attraction.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's also +Habitability(And always has been), and that IS worthwhile. And besides which a +Happy buildout wants those other races in any case, because aliens are +Happy to you. Except, of course, that's all being thrown out for the new ethos system. Hmm.

I'm kinda concerned, in that it's not clear how you're getting the Unity Points to get these.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Migration really needs its own overhaul. The attraction mechanic is completely arcane and incomprehensible.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if there's a market for Blorg plushies. Or at least t-shirts with one and the text "I wish I had friends".

LordMune posted:

Great. :)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloodly posted:

It's also +Habitability(And always has been), and that IS worthwhile. And besides which a +Happy buildout wants those other races in any case, because aliens are +Happy to you. Except, of course, that's all being thrown out for the new ethos system. Hmm.

I'm kinda concerned, in that it's not clear how you're getting the Unity Points to get these.

There are buildings that give Unity. The default one does nothing else, but all the Tradition buildings so far (including the altered ones like the Visitor Center) give the same amount as well, in addition to their other effects. I think there will be other sources too; there are definitely other bonuses (Diplomacy's one that gives extra Unity per federation member, for example) at least. So advancing your Traditions helps your Unity generation as well as everything else.

Meanwhile, it's Exploration time.
https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828905947061960710

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 7, 2017

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I really hope the sector AI will auto build those buildings then. Currently I am under the impression that it rarely, if ever, builds your special buildings.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

There are buildings that give Unity. The default one does nothing else, but all the Tradition buildings so far (including the altered ones like the Visitor Center) give the same amount as well, in addition to their other effects. I think there will be other sources too; there are definitely other bonuses (Diplomacy's one that gives extra Unity per federation member, for example) at least. So advancing your Traditions helps your Unity generation as well as everything else.

Meanwhile, it's Exploration time.
https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828905947061960710

Helly yes. (It may be a small thing, but I'm always sad that I have to leave science resources for last, to keep building up my economy. With science stations being that much cheaper, I can now squeeze in some more while flooding everything with energy- and mining stations.)

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
That's actually a really strong buff for the very start of the game, when building a couple of research stations can double your output. I suspect a good early game will involve mixing and matching from the Exploration and Expansion trees, possibly dipping into Prosperity for the mining station buff.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aethernet posted:

That's actually a really strong buff for the very start of the game, when building a couple of research stations can double your output. I suspect a good early game will involve mixing and matching from the Exploration and Expansion trees, possibly dipping into Prosperity for the mining station buff.

Given the bonuses for smaller empires and whatnot being planned, Expansion might not be needed if you're not planning on early rapid expansion. (Though if you are going for that then it's pretty clearly the top first choice; it does so much there and isn't nearly as good later.) I do agree that it, Exploration, and maybe Prosperity seem like the early game things to go for, with Harmony and Diplomacy both being later options.

...Well, maybe. Exploration has a strong opener at least; we'll see what else it has soon.

Meanwhile, Wiz tweet:
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/828924590294446081

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Roland Jones posted:

Given the bonuses for smaller empires and whatnot being planned, Expansion might not be needed if you're not planning on early rapid expansion. (Though if you are going for that then it's pretty clearly the top first choice; it does so much there and isn't nearly as good later.) I do agree that it, Exploration, and maybe Prosperity seem like the early game things to go for, with Harmony and Diplomacy both being later options.

...Well, maybe. Exploration has a strong opener at least; we'll see what else it has soon.

Meanwhile, Wiz tweet:
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/828924590294446081

Dang. I find myself tempted to go for a similar build come 1.5. :stare:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I actually like how the military junta style of government works, but this is also very attractive.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Drone_Fragger posted:

And it's still also not worth building because who cares about migration attraction.

Unless youre a Xenophile empire (which gets the building to begin with) with a good happiness build which basically drags everyone onto your planets and then benefits from the happiness bonus.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What's that fanatical world crushing hand icon there? Is that the new icon for conformist (or whatever not egalitarian is called now)? It looks baller.

Teeheehee, "Montly Influence".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Splicer posted:

What's that fanatical world crushing hand icon there? Is that the new icon for conformist (or whatever not egalitarian is called now)? It looks baller.

Teeheehee, "Montly Influence".

Authoritarian, yeah. Egalitarian is a set of balanced scales, meanwhile.

Also, another Exploration tweet.
https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828936680568651779
I mentioned this one earlier in the thread after seeing it in the stream; it seems necessary, or at least really good, for early anomaly research because the failure rates seem higher.

• Locked thread