Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
The best of both worlds is giving tourists directions based on landmarks that are no longer there and people they don't know. Straight to the former post office, then take a right and keep going until you see the mayors house, and turn toward the old mill. If you get to the building that used to be a bakery, you've gone too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pair the obsolete landmarks with a scribbled map like this without labels. Where am I now? What was this circle again?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
So that's how you get to Israel.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I always used streets/landmarks like malls and parks with chinese taxis then just told them where to turn/stop. I tried to always ride motorbike taxis if it wasn't raining though since it was exciting, and those dudes didnt have any gps or any poo poo like that. Where I lived there was apparently a law requiring all motorcycle riders to wear helmets, but what amounted to a flimsy toy plastic hat thing counted as a helmet. Some of them didnt even fit on my head and i'd just hold it on with my hand. A couple of people told me that children were exempted from the helmet law.

I left my wallet in a taxi once and got a friend to call the taxi company and tell them where I was picked up and let off, and apparently the taxis even back then (2009?) had GPS in them. I was able to go to the taxi office the next day out in the sticks and pick my wallet up, money and all. I was pretty impressed i'm not gonna lie.

I left my cell phone in a taxi once and texted it saying i'd pay 100rmb if they brought it back and they did.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

Where am I now?

Nagoya!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Two pages of map chat punctuated with a Haier humblebrag and Xi taking over the CCP.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
That wasn't even a humblebrag. Harris Wittels must be spinning in his grave.

Fun fact: my phone wanted to autocorrect "spinning" into "spin nong".

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

peanut posted:

Pair the obsolete landmarks with a scribbled map like this without labels. Where am I now? What was this circle again?

Is this why there are so many boundary disputes in Asia? drat, this scribble is gonna be used in a hundred years as evidence that Morocco has always been Chinese.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

peanut posted:

These puzzles from The Witness just get weirder and weirder as you go along.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ceciltron posted:

Is this why there are so many boundary disputes in Asia? drat, this scribble is gonna be used in a hundred years as evidence that Morocco has always been Chinese.

It also proves Western Sahara is Moroccan.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Mameluke posted:

Western Sahara, aka Xinjiang.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mameluke posted:

pyf territorial disputes

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Vancouver was the site of an ancient Chinese trading settlement.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Haier wasn't humble bragging a random dude who rarely posts about China was triggered Haier hosed around with a Chinese girl

It happens all the time just ignore it

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Moving away from the creepy poo poo:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

sad sexual experiences you have with people you genuinely seem to loathe and talking about the women you hooked up with like it's a loving safari.

That's creepy and gross no matter what country you do it in, and if you're totally into hearing some dude talking like that, might wanna think about what that says about you.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You're way too old to be such a goddamn child, holy moly.

someone doesn't like Haier. Big surprise. Who cares

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i like haier's stories beacuse usually he's just eaten loads of food and doesn't want to gently caress then ends up loving and it going badly

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I find Haier's stories funny.

Haier, please continue posting.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Haier consistently brings a narrative and an outlook that you rarely get on the internet and for that people should be appreciative. I lived with someone like Haier for two years in China so it doesn't bother me in the slightest because I personally had to deal the the worst of the fallout and like walking in on random girls in my bathroom literally squatting on our western toilet on their phone. I never post these stories here but Haier does. It's like a Chinese foreigner version of master of none

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
haier's like our kramer always bursting in with some wacky entertaining story but under that false veneer of hilarious jewisity there is a seething racist just waiting to bust out the n-word

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Vancouver was the site of an ancient Chinese trading settlement.

Chinese money's been hidden offshore far longer than most Canadians would care to acknowledge.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I'm a fan of Haier. With exception to peanut brittle puss. That was..... :smith:

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I like Haier because everyone one has 1 or 2 wierd hook up stories (especially out here in Asia) and then they usually becomes traumatised and move on to something else but Haier's stories are like watching a bird fly into a closed window over and over and over.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Haier is to Icarus as making GBS threads your own pants, and gutter oil hotpots and disgusting women are to the sun.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

E_P posted:

I like Haier because everyone one has 1 or 2 wierd hook up stories (especially out here in Asia) and then they usually becomes traumatised and move on to something else but Haier's stories are like watching a bird fly into a closed window over and over and over.

someone post the scooter guy and imagine the hole in the ground is a hair cave

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Jose posted:

pyf territorial disputes

Bir Tawil

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHQ28qCqm3s

Im the Chinese announcer in the background telling people that the roads are slippery and they should be careful of ice and snow when crossing the street.

I'd love to go to Sapporo to see that snow festival but gently caress the crowds.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Thought I'd crosspost this from the Archery and stuff thread since it's a cool thing China did. I'm not sure if I buy all the history bits that guy's saying, but repeating crossbows are pretty impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JToxcNxED5I

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I really enjoy Haier's stories but I don't understand why he keeps doing these things that always seem to end in frustration or disgust for him. I'm assuming there are a lot of good things that happen to him that he just doesn't share because they're not as funny as the bad things.

Anyway my experience with Chinar is that I went to Beijing for a 2 week trip back during my college days (right before the 2008 Olympics) to scope the place out for a potential bullshit English teaching job. Even as a 22 year old with failing grades the whole thing seemed way too sketchy for me. Like every place was super eager to take me before even asking for any qualifications, and every time I followed up with a school the details always changed in strange ways. What they said on the phone would always be totally different from what they said in person. The whole thing hit too many red flags so I gave up on the idea.

It was cool seeing how life works there, though. I was traveling with my college housemate/friend with benefits who was a Beijing native studying in the States, so I stayed at her place instead of some touristy hotel. Her mom had been recently diagnosed with cancer so we helped her out with the hospital visits a few times and I got the full China medical system experience. It was pretty crazy how inefficient and inconvenient everything was, almost seemingly by design. Like the doctor gave her mom a prescription, so we went up 3 floors, pushed our way through a non-line of people to get to a little window where a lady exchanged our piece of paper for a different piece of paper, traveled down 2 floors, pushed our way to another little window, exchanged papers again, down to ground floor, another crowded window, exchanged papers for medicine. Same routine each day. It really struck me how people didn't line up or really have any kind of system for ensuring that a particular person will not be waiting forever. How do the little old people get through the crowd? Everyone just pushed them out of the way.

Everyone was pretty nice to me, basically treating me like a celebrity everywhere I went (unless we were "queuing" up for something, then it was every man for himself). I'm a tall white guy and not to brag but I have pretty decent looks, and apparently this is all it takes to make you the center of attention at all times in China. It got to the point where I had to start denying photo ops with random people. One person would want to take a picture with me for some reason, and then a small crowd would start and everyone would want a turn. It was odd.

Conversely, the Chinese people seemed to hate each other. They basically regarded other humans as obstacles rather than people. There was no concept of random kindness or common courtesy. Like hold the door open for someone and you're just a sucker who didn't get in first. It made me kind of sad and distressed.

I ate local food almost entirely but wow the Pizza Hut over there sure is nice.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Yea, that's a piece of poo poo that people like to hand around sometimes.

If you want something really neat, you can look at the trigger mechanisms of Qin crossbows.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
haier here's some thailand.txt for you courtesy of reddit

quote:

I'm a 25 year old white guy been living in isaan for 6 months. Tonight my Thai wife attacked me with a machete because i told her to shut up and I nearly lost my life. I had to wrestle the knife from her and when her dad came back he has been waving a loaded .45 in my face.

I want to post this so that if something happens to me I can say I have never raised my hands to this woman in any way. She is 100 percent psychotic. I have devoted myself to her in every way and she tried to kill me. I never raised my hand to her ever . She still might kill me. I write this Sat in a rice field in maha sarakham beside a dirt track 5 minutes fron roi et. If there are any farangs in bkk that can meet me jusy for a chat please pm me . If I can leave this house alive I will get the first bus to Bangkok.

If I disappear then I am buiried in a field by her ex police father. I would never kill myself or hurt myself. If i go missing I have been killed there can't be many men my age in sarakham. Im not trolling I need ro make a record of what's happening to me. Thank you

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I hope he dies personally.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

E_P posted:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

I hope you get your duck avatar back.

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
I think masturbation might be a better option than having a Thai wife with an ex-cop Dad and living in Isaan

Anyway some guys are just horny I guess.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

may i ask why?

i thought isan women were cute.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

UltraRed posted:

I hope you get your duck avatar back.

The situation on the ground regarding my avatar is much more tumultuous now than it has been in recent times

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Sheep-Goats posted:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ups_rail posted:

may i ask why?

i thought isan women were cute.

Because he is a dumbshit and also redditor

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'd like to hear her side of the story. I wonder if there would be any inconsistencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

I'd like to hear her side of the story. I wonder if there would be any inconsistencies.

I honestly hope not, I hope she just says "He told me to shut up and he's such a lovely little worm that that's way overstepping his bounds, so I hit him with my machete"

• Locked thread