Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Trillhouse posted:

Dominion mode (the 4v4 mode) was kind of a shitshow in closed beta. A single good player will who knows how to use revenge mode well will tip the entire balance in his team's favor. It definitely had the least skilled players on average compared to 2v2 and duels. Expect a lot of people using the one combo they know is good for their class (see: Peacekeepers with the guard break into triple stab) or loitering near ledges to throw people off. Or running away unless they outnumber you. So until people get a lot more experience I doubt team comp will matter too much. Play whatever you think is fun.

How does one use revenge mode well anyway? I understand that it's actually easier to build it when being ganged up on, something about blocking multiple people being easier? But I don't really know any details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm going to be giving this a go on the open beta, tell me if I'm far off from my assumptions without having ever played.

Warden is the sort of character that is the jack of all trades tutorial type, not bad at anything and probably good for starting out.

Kensei is going to be regarded as a bad character because it has the katana and that attracts a lot of people who will tend to suck and make it look bad.

Conqueror and Raider being beefy and high potential damage, but are too slow to reliably get off more then light attacks that barely do any damage compared to fast attacks from a light class and probably suffer at higher skill levels because of the slow attacks being easily avoided.

Nobushi and Peacekeeper being on the strong end because of bleeds while still having good fast damage even without the bleed.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Captain Oblivious posted:

How does one use revenge mode well anyway? I understand that it's actually easier to build it when being ganged up on, something about blocking multiple people being easier? But I don't really know any details.

block alotta stuff -> get revenge. A little meter fills up and when its ready you press a button. Then you go super saiyan and can hopefully punish at least one of the people ganking you

you only really get it when multiple people attack you or else the meter doesnt fill

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm going to be giving this a go on the open beta, tell me if I'm far off from my assumptions without having ever played.

Warden is the sort of character that is the jack of all trades tutorial type, not bad at anything and probably good for starting out.
Pretty much, yeah. Her toolkit is fairly limited, but all the moves she does have are simple, quick, and effective.

quote:

Kensei is going to be regarded as a bad character because it has the katana and that attracts a lot of people who will tend to suck and make it look bad.
Barely anybody ever seems to play Kensei. Instead, the worst of the weeaboos are drawn to Orochi due to that whole ninja-flair. Also, Kensei is actually using a nodachi, not a katana :spergin:

quote:

Conqueror and Raider being beefy and high potential damage, but are too slow to reliably get off more then light attacks that barely do any damage compared to fast attacks from a light class and probably suffer at higher skill levels because of the slow attacks being easily avoided.
At higher levels, almost no character can reliably get heavy attacks through without some sort of setup or trickery. The Raider actually has pretty good setups for that, being able to easily stun and throw enemies into walls. Conqueror does struggle a bit there, mostly because he cannot feint and is more reliant on luring his opponents into mistakes.

quote:

Nobushi and Peacekeeper being on the strong end because of bleeds while still having good fast damage even without the bleed.

Kinda, yeah. Much of the combat revolves around creating and seizing momentary opportunities and then cramming as much damage in there as possible before the enemy can get out of it. So the ability to cause pretty severe damage with just a single move (that's also relatively easy to land) makes them very potent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Kensei and Warden (and Raider) are extremely similar with only some slight nuanced differences between them. Each faction gets a basic all-around bread and butter class, and they play very similarly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Are we allowed to talk about this now? Conq is really loving fun and the ability to charge into a fight, knock a dude onto his rear end and then stomp him with your buddy is hilarious.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

dogstile posted:

Are we allowed to talk about this now? Conq is really loving fun and the ability to charge into a fight, knock a dude onto his rear end and then stomp him with your buddy is hilarious.

I thought your name was dogpile and made a great user name post combo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Mods you know what to do

or not, I like my name

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Conquerer is actually the character that can most reliably land strong attacks in the game because he can freely land them at the same time as blocking, and it comes out fast once charged up. A high skill conqueror is ridiculously hard to beat, it's just a slow to kill stuff since it requires playing so defensively. What you're thinking is more in line with one of the other characters that wasn't in the closed beta.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

dogstile posted:

this is why i like dominion more than duels... because you can actually team up with a bud and create combos together

a large part of the moveset for chatacters arent viable in 1vs1 at higher levels, but everything has a use in 4v4 and you can actually pull off some awesome teamplay

*charge tackles some dude onto the ground and smacks him with flail*

*buddy grabs the guy as he is getting up and and tosses him into death pit*

:getin:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey, looks like For Honor got the Man At Arms crew to make the Kensei's Nodachi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbSrnjNGBdA

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Some dudes are getting an early chance to stream the open beta of For Honor (some kind of promo event, they all have huge ugly overlays because lol marketing), talking about changes I heard someone say soon after I opened the stream that Peacekeeper's bleed damage from the stab thing was nerfed by like 75%

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Looks like all the streamers are at an event. I was browsing through them when one of them got kicked out with an anti-cheat message. ...the person was presumably playing on a Ubi computer. Heh.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Shorty was vs a Shugoki bot (they can't play the new characters but I guess the bots can? they're only vs bots right now) and got killed in an interesting way

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So with the open beta coming up there'll probably a whole lot of first-time players, so I figured I'd do a little write-up about things that aren't immediately obvious from the tutorials. On that note, the tutorials are good and useful and you should definitely play them, particularly the advanced one found in the “How to Play” section. Not only are there important game concepts in there, they'll also give you a bunch of ingame currency to get you started.

General tips:

• If you're on PC, consider trying out both a controller as well as m+kb. The former's a bit more intuitive and relaxed, but the latter tends to make it easier to pull off certain moves like feints or defensive stances.

• Watch the advanced tutorial videos for whatever characters you're interested in playing. There are usually some very useful things in there.

• Be wary of overusing heavy attacks. Yes, they do a whole lot of damage, but even a fairly mediocre player will usually be able to easily block or even parry them. Avoid opening with a heavy, instead use them primarily to exploit an opportunity when your opponent is stunned, staggered, or otherwise indisposed.

• A flaming effect on an attack combined with a lightning bolt symbol indicates that it is unblockable. A violet tint means it inflicts a bleeding damage over time effect. A white flash across the entire character means it's uninterruptable.

• Unblockable attacks that deal damage can be parried (but not blocked, obviously) like a regular attack. This applies primarily to the Kensei's overhead and the Raider's horizontal swing. This does not work for unblockables that just stagger (e.g. Warden's shoulderbash, Conq's shieldbash) or that are part of a counterattack (e.g. Orochi's deflect, Warden's top counter).

• The precise speed and damage of attacks does vary a bit depending on their direction. As a rule of thumb, attacks from the top (particularly heavy ones) tend to be somewhat slower but also more damaging than those from the sides.

• When you're trying to gang up on an enemy in a group fight and you're at their back, avoid just throwing regular attacks at them. Attacks coming from the outside are incredibly easy to block, and will only fill up their revenge meter. Instead, focus on guardbreaks and whatever unblockable attacks you have, and leave the actual killing to their primary target.

• When you yourself are ganged up upon, focus primarily on your defense to fill up your revenge gauge. Stay mobile to avoid being guardbroken. Note that you can actually parry attacks coming from the outside just like you would those of your targeted enemy.

• The best time to activate revenge is when you're just about to be hit. This will automatically parry that attack and throw your enemy to the ground, opening them up to several very powerful hits while you do extra damage and cannot be interrupted. Try to save it until you're in a good position to outright kill one of your enemies while they're down.

• Guardbreaks cannot be dodged, except by pre-emptively rolling backwards out of range. Make use of this when you're up against one of those annoying assassins who just keep dodging circles around you.

• Speaking of guardbreaks, the window for countering them is a little counterintuitive. It actually starts just before you're hit, and lasts until a few fractions of a second after it connects. There's a section in the advanced tutorial where you can practice this.

• When an opponent is out of stamina, guardbreaking and throwing them will knock them prone. Use this to get in a guaranteed heavy attack or two.

• It varies a bit from character to character exactly what kind of attack you're guaranteed to get through after certain setups. As a rule of thumb: A regular guardbreak can be followed by a single light attack, a heavy one will only connect for some certain characters. Throwing somebody into a wall or obstacle guarantees a single heavy. A successful parry usually only allows for a light attack, but often also for a guaranteed guardbreak.
On to the (likely to be playable) characters:

Warden
The Warden is kind of the “default” class, and falls squarely into the “easy to learn; hard to master” niche. She's got a very basic moveset, but at the same time the moves she does have are very useful and efficient. A variety of fast and powerful light attacks allow you to keep harrying and wearing down your opponents very quickly. Note that to do the quick two-hit sideways light combo, you may not switch directions between the first and the second attack. Your area attack (pressing both attack buttons at the same time) comes out incredibly fast and is near guaranteed to catch your enemy by surprise, but at a significant stamina cost. The charging shoulder bash can be canceled into a regular guardbreak, offering a decent mixup. If you've got an enemy in a corner, you can actually get sort of an infinite combo going alternating the bash and heavy attack, at least while your stamina lasts. Last but not least, your top light attack is both very fast and has an automatic counterattack property, so definitely feel free to make heavy use of it.

Raider
Compared to the Warden, the Raider trends somewhat towards the slightly slower but more powerful style. The ability to cancel heavy attacks into the leaping pommel-strike is incredibly useful and should be part of your bread-and-butter repertoire. Your unblockable attack looks cool and does huge damage, but it's very obvious and easy to counter. Your best hope of getting it through is by surprising your opponent with it after stunning them through either the pommel-strike or by charging them into a wall. Either of those will screw up their vision for a moment, making the attack more difficult to see coming. Note that if you use your running charge to merely throw an enemy to the ground you are actually not guaranteed to hit them with a heavy attack, so stick with just a light one in that case.

Kensei
Among vanguards, Kensei trends more towards more mobile side of things. His forward dodge followed by a guardbreak is a great way of catching opponents off guard at range, and allows you to get in easy guaranteed heavy attacks. If you do a top light attack as the second one of your combo, it turns into a very quick and difficult-to-anticipate stab. Kensei is something of a one-trick pony, but with a very good trick: All of his moveset works towards comboing into his unblockable heavy overhead. They key there is that this overhead can also be canceled into a heavy uninterruptable sideways attack making. This is very difficult for your enemy to anticipate, and there's no safe way out it outside of dodge-rolling backwards out of range entirely.

Conqueror
Conqueror's defensively oriented, and relies heavily on being good with your timing. Your main gameplan is to bait your enemy into attacks, and then punish those with your superior block property during a heavy attack. The windup for your heavy attack is particularly useful for that, as it tend to lure opponents in while also increasing your damage. On open ground your shield-bash is only so-so in terms of utility, since it can only be followed by a light attack. But when your opponent has their back towards a wall or corner you can get a semi-infinite combo going by alternating it with heavy attacks, just like the Warden.

Warlord
Warlord is a little like the Conqueror, but more geared towards putting constant heavy pressure on your enemy in exchange for a relatively lower damage output. His headbutt after a forwards-dodge is one of the fastest unblockables in the game, and can be followed up by an unavoidable light attack. Even better, just like the Warden's shoulderbash it can be canceled into a regular guardbreak. One often overlooked ability is that when you throw a guy, you can hold the button to significantly increase the range of the throw. Together with the headbutt and your quick combos, you can force an enemy against a wall and just keep on pummeling them until you run out of stamina or they run out of blood.

Nobushi
Nobushi's all about poking, baiting, and punishing. The first thing to note is that your regular combos are kind of a trap: Their second attacks come out so slowly that they'll almost always be blocked unless your enemy seriously messes up. Fortunately, there's a way around that: Your Hidden Stance allows you to initiate a combo starting with the second attack, turning your mediocre 3x light attack combo into a very quick and potent 2x one. This combination is usually one of your best initiators, since it does decent damage and leaves the enemy little time to react and block. In fact, your Hidden Stance is one of your greatest assets, use it liberally in place of a regular dodge whenever possible for an easy but powerful punish. It's also a shortcut to get out a quick kick, which will often catch an opponent by surprise.

Peacekeeper
Peacekeeper's core move is the triple stab after a guardbreak, which causes severe bleeding damage. The number of stabs you can get in (between one and three) depends entirely on your own timing, so make sure to get that down. You can also stop after the second stab and finish it with a throw, which can be a good way to keep up pressure if there's a wall to throw your enemy into. Another big advantage is that you get a guaranteed guardbreak after successfully parrying an attack, which of course gives you another opportunity to get your stab on.

Berserker and Orochi
I haven't played as these very much yet, so I can't really comment on them in depth. All I can really say from playing against them is not to rely on your dodge-attacks too much, as they give away your direction of attack. And as Orochi, make sure you only do your backwards-dodge Storm Rush (where you put the sword down to your side) as a punish against a whiffed enemy atttack. If you just try it openly against a ready opponent you're almost guaranteed to get parried and everyone will laugh at you. If you charge it up and realise you don't have a window, remember that you can just cancel out of it.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I was really looking forward to trying out the Lawbringer. The open beta will be my first time trying the game, so there is still lots to experiment with regardless but I was hoping that all the classes would be available to try before launch. Still, looking at some of the comments and bits of footage before for the tech test, he sounds like Geese Howard with no damage. Maybe it is a good thing I will have to learn an actual good class.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They may drop them in for testing in the later days of the open beta.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The biggest cheese I see a lot of people falling for is guard break spam. You can counter this by hitting guard break yourself just as they touch you(the tutorials will help you practice) but the window for landing the counter is very narrow. In an actual battle, unless you've got a ton of practice or are already great at fighting games, you'll usually miss it.

Luckily there's an easier way to fight a guard break spammer: judicious use of light attacks and aggression. If you're in the light attack animation, or partly into a heavy attack animation, the guard break does nothing and they can't block the attack. For new players I highly recommend just loving attacking them constantly instead of trying to hit the CGB. New players in general either abuse whatever move they think is OP or play too defensively. When I started pushing the action I did much, much better.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

What is the platform everyone is shooting for here? Real life friends who I played through the Dark souls games with are shooting for PS4.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I can't deny the sweet smoothness of 60 FPS on PC.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
PC, mostly because I don't own a current gen console. News that they farmed out the PC port has me a little worried (I got burned by MKX's PC port), but people say it performed well in the betas so far so :shrug:.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

My PC is old and can do nothing pretty.

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

I dont know posted:

PC, mostly because I don't own a current gen console. News that they farmed out the PC port has me a little worried (I got burned by MKX's PC port), but people say it performed well in the betas so far so :shrug:.

I have an i5 2500k and a 970 GTX, ran fine

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am getting it for PC, and also, I want to play Shugoki super bad

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Just finished the pre load and I will be playing on the PC.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
The twitch chat for the special event is so salty about vikings knocking people off of ledges

panda clue
May 23, 2014
if you are given the opportunity to knock someone off a ledge and you dont take it, you have already lost the match imo

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Agreed, instant death cliffs and spikes every match. If you aren't getting a stream of hate mail you aren't playing right.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

I dont know posted:

Agreed, instant death cliffs and spikes every match. If you aren't getting a stream of hate mail you aren't playing right.

https://gfycat.com/SilkyCrazyLamprey

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Perestroika posted:

hell of stuff

Just wanna say fantastic post lots of great info, Thanks.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
https://clips.twitch.tv/forhonorgame/DifficultCaribouPanicBasket

You can see how much damage the new Peacekeeper triple stab does at around 12s in. Seems to do about the same as the old single stab did.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It's been a long time since I've gone through so many emotions while reading a singular post

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im gonna level with u guys, im not gonna be very honorable in this game :frogbon:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Will all of the classes be playable in the open beta?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
It's more of an ironic name, really.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Some men get off on Doing The Right Thing. Honorable duels, 1 vs 1. Two men enter, one man leaves

And some men just want to watch the world burn (double team some dude and stunlock him to death)

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Some men get off on Doing The Right Thing. Honorable duels, 1 vs 1. Two men enter, one man leaves

And some men just want to watch the world burn (double team some dude and stunlock him to death)

this guy gets it

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
you could even say that by not throwing someone off a cliff, you dishonor the cliff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zzulu posted:

The former is influenced by martial fantasy, the latter by real life history.