Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly the Archon Ruler is where they messed up the most. The Viper and Berserker can be neutralized with tactics, positioning, and a little luck. The Archon though it's just straight RNG whether they decide to chokeslam your best unit to death or send out a wave of unavoidable damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Or get chumped like a bitch with a 5% luck shot.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Fire Storm posted:

Need more modded in rulers. Andromedon ruler, ADVENT Trooper Ruler, Faceless Ruler, etc. RULERS FOR EVERYONE!

Friend of mine pointed out that it would have been nice to have an Andromedon ruler, if nothing else to shed more light on them.

Also finally all caught up with this one, and how the loving hell does jade get bugs like this?! :psyduck:

You're a lighting rod for some kind of cosmic irony mate.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
At the risk of beating on worn out drum/deadhorse, the LW alien pack mod does add some fun thing. For various levels of fun.

Like a Muton Elite, who can give themselves shield health, have armour, have increased defense for every 'enemy' they can see (meaning your guys), and sometimes are immune to explosives.

Or Vipers with squad sight. Or SMGs and Gun&Run (a weird reverse of Run&Gun where if you make a flanking shot, you get a free move.)

Which is all cool, but I do wish their mods had a link in the description for what they added if you wanted to make sense of it, as opposed to trying to recognize types of plasma weaponry on an enemy model.

And really, I can't say the difficult of the game is high, and I wouldn't say I'm good at this kind of thing (though I can't face Ironman, eesh.) At least, sans-DLC.

And, and, and. On the case of armour, I've seen people play on Legendary without using Shredder or similar (grenades sometimes). There's stuff you are kind of dumb for just eating the damage reduction of armour for, but you can manage. It's just subpar. Most of the heavily armoured stuff is vulnerable to Bluescreen at least.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Kwyndig posted:

Honestly the Archon Ruler is where they messed up the most. The Viper and Berserker can be neutralized with tactics, positioning, and a little luck. The Archon though it's just straight RNG whether they decide to chokeslam your best unit to death or send out a wave of unavoidable damage.

Stasis ruins his poo poo, though.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Thyrork posted:

Also finally all caught up with this one, and how the loving hell does jade get bugs like this?! :psyduck:
I had the phantom SPARK legs thing happen in my playthrough.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

I had the phantom SPARK legs thing happen in my playthrough.

The JAIDS is spreading!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Fire Storm posted:

Need more modded in rulers. Andromedon ruler, ADVENT Trooper Ruler, Faceless Ruler, etc. RULERS FOR EVERYONE!

Same except there should also be middle managers for every enemy type.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Was catching up on a couple of videos I missed, and drat I wish Operation Bad Wrong'ard had some kind of warning on it. That beeping noise is just about at the upper end of my hearing and holy poo poo my tinnitus didn't appreciate encountering it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I tried to load the forge mission up again and have Julian open the casket as Guava wanted. Wasn't able to. Went back to mission select to try something and...

Yup, Julian can't carry soldiers and the game is programmed to handle that. Sort of. I don't know why there is a empty window on top of the first one, covering the upper left part of this image.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Jade Star posted:

I tried to load the forge mission up again and have Julian open the casket as Guava wanted. Wasn't able to. Went back to mission select to try something and...

Yup, Julian can't carry soldiers and the game is programmed to handle that. Sort of. I don't know why there is a empty window on top of the first one, covering the upper left part of this image.

Were you attempting to enter the mission with just Julian? So what would happen if you brought a SPARK along for this mission and then every human character died? Would you just get a game over even though you still had one unit alive because you can't carry the plot macguffin?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ousire posted:

Were you attempting to enter the mission with just Julian? So what would happen if you brought a SPARK along for this mission and then every human character died? Would you just get a game over even though you still had one unit alive because you can't carry the plot macguffin?

Do you want centaurs? Because this is how you get centaurs!

P.S. For critical bonuses above 100%, it should grant the overage as a chance for the enemy to drop items, above the standard 1 enemy drop per mission. Eg: a 109% critical chance would give a 9% chance of an item drop appearing. A nice bonus and probably not game breaking.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ousire posted:

For the record, if you end up in a situation where you are unable to complete any future objective, you game over. If Julian were the only soldier left in that mission you would fail it, yes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Materant posted:

For the record, if you end up in a situation where you are unable to complete any future objective, you game over. If Julian were the only soldier left in that mission you would fail it, yes.
"If only Father had programmed me to operate a forklift instead. :geno:"

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

JT Jag posted:

"If only Father had programmed me to operate a forklift instead. :geno:"

Oh, come on. If there's one thing Julian isn't, it's :geno:. All his line readings are delivered as smugly as possible. Even the angry ones.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Why has Firaxis been so secretive about the voice actor for Julian, he should have been in the credits unless the VA did it anonymously intentionally.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Jetrauben posted:

Stasis ruins his poo poo, though.

To be fair, Stasis is probably the one of the best psi abilities. I would probably take a psi op on a mission even if they had stasis and nothing else.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, Stasis is pretty much the king of "Oh poo poo" buttons, especially if you can use it on your own men that you've somehow overextended.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Why has Firaxis been so secretive about the voice actor for Julian, he should have been in the credits unless the VA did it anonymously intentionally.
More than likely, Julian is voiced by an union voice actor taking a non-union job, so sometimes they either get credited with a pseudonym or don't get credited at all on official statements.

The rules, as it seems to be laid out, are that as long as you don't use whatever name you signed up with at the union, you can take a voice acting gig and still get paid like everyone else. Otherwise, you're limited to union roles and only union roles. An example from another game would be the character of Virion in Fire Emblem: Awakening. His English voice actor is the only one in the cast not credited, so whoever voiced Virion was likely a union voice actor taking a role off the books so as not to get into trouble with his union. Now, the recently released mobile game Fire Emblem Heroes does give Virion an actor credit, Taylor Henry. But, right now it is unclear if that is the same voice actor from Awakening or if it is someone new doing their best to recreate the original voice actor's performance.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

vdate posted:

Oh, come on. If there's one thing Julian isn't, it's :geno:. All his line readings are delivered as smugly as possible. Even the angry ones.

":smug: Father really outdid himself, didn't he? :smug: :smug: :smug:"

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

AradoBalanga posted:

The rules, as it seems to be laid out, are that as long as you don't use whatever name you signed up with at the union, you can take a voice acting gig and still get paid like everyone else. Otherwise, you're limited to union roles and only union roles. An example from another game would be the character of Virion in Fire Emblem: Awakening. His English voice actor is the only one in the cast not credited, so whoever voiced Virion was likely a union voice actor taking a role off the books so as not to get into trouble with his union. Now, the recently released mobile game Fire Emblem Heroes does give Virion an actor credit, Taylor Henry. But, right now it is unclear if that is the same voice actor from Awakening or if it is someone new doing their best to recreate the original voice actor's performance.

I'm pretty confident Liam O'Brien is a union VA, yeah.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
i said "long war" 3 times in a mirror and jade still didn't update

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Lunethex posted:

lovely movie night takes priority.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lunethex posted:

On a very brief observation Long War 2 seems better than the original, if only because Firaxis stripping out the inventory system means that the LW devs have to actually try to balance their class gimmicks rather than just throwing poo poo at the wall and using random small inventory items to shore up weaknesses.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Also no air game for them to make even worse somehow.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"Long War 2: it's only better because we couldn't make it worse"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the infiltration mechanic. That plus managing the Havens seems to be the new Air Game, especially with the Faceless infiltrators you have to deal with.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
If anyone here is curious as to how good we humans are getting at engineering DNA in real life, take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pp17E4E-O8

Just imagine Tygan's voice narrating.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Syphon Filter

Today's mission is a Guerrilla Operation that triggered after one of the three dark events it was supposed to be able to counter triggered. I don't know how that is possible and have never seen that before. It really sucks too because the dark event that went prematurely was the one I wanted and needed to prevent from happening. That really bites, but I will be able to deal with it. I do need to gather more intel in a hurry in order to expand contacts toward alien facilities, but I have just enough breathing room that I am not panicking about it yet.

This mission was also a little bit of hubris. I intentionally left behind any soldier that was already at Colonel rank so that I could get promotions spread among the other soldiers and get everyone else ranked up. The difficulty curve is starting to get to the point where that may not be the best idea, leaving a few of your best soldiers in the squad as a sort of core anchor for the team isn't a bad idea at all. The extra hubris on top of this was to think I could stealth hack a mission objective. Don't do this. I'd never done this before and thought it'd be fun to try since the opportunity presented itself. That was kind of bad as it turns out. Whoops.

New skill choice!
Grenadier Major Rank: Salvo vs Hail of Bullets

Salvo is kind of like bullet swarm but for grenades. Throwing or launching a grenade, or using a heavy weapon as the first action of your turn no longer ends your turn. This allows for some fun plays like using grenades to blow up cover and then shoot exposed enemies. Or launch two grenades, or... you get the idea. It's really useful in certain situations, likely to save your grenadier an action or two every map, and combos very well with the Heavy Ordnance skill.

Hail of Bullets we have seen already in the LP because of the AWC giving it to Cain. It's a straight forward skill; spend 3 ammo to guarantee a hit on your target. Guaranteed damage is always, always, a good thing to have. The high ammo usage kind of sucks, requiring your grenadier to have a fully loaded gun to activate the ability, or to equip the grenadier with an expanded magazine to increase their ammo count.

Winner: I'd say this is decided by your previous skill choices. If you have Heavy Ordnance then you stand to gain more fro Salvo. If you have Holo-Targeting/Shredder then you stand more to gain by guaranteed cannon hits.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 14, 2017

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Menace 1-5, we've lost control of the package. Recover it at all costs, we can't afford to lose that material to the aliens.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Man, those two civilians must have been on one hell of a date.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Recover 1-5, we've lost aliens of the costs. Menace it at all package, we can't material to lose that afford to the control.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Man, those two civilians must have been on one hell of a date.

They were probably wondering if Menace 1-5 lost control of the package.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

That officer was in the middle of taking a nap with his feet on the chest, and was too lazy to get up. That's what I think happened anyway.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Honestly I think the civillians are just desperately trying to pretend nobody's there and that the guys in power armor and their robot friend aren't going to get them killed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

This run just does not want you to benefit from people with a boosted hacking stat. Jesus Christ, Jade.

Also, clearly Bradford was too busy being drunk or something and left a pre-recorded message to cover for his rear end. The problem is that he left control of the message in Julian's hands, and we all know how Julian rolls.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Is it possible to shoot the underside of an overhead bridge, making it collapse like a building, and getting everyone standing on it? I kept worrying the Sectopod would try.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Menace 1-5, you can't cut back on funding! You will regret this!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Anaxite posted:

Is it possible to shoot the underside of an overhead bridge, making it collapse like a building, and getting everyone standing on it? I kept worrying the Sectopod would try.

Yep. I had a run on this same map go sour when I got missled, which blew up a car, which blew up the overpass. 3 deaths from full health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Menace 1-5, we've lost control of the post. Recover it at all costs, we can't afford to lose that material to the aliens.

• Locked thread