Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pakled posted:

I read a review of Deus Ex once that lamented that it would be a good game if it wasn't for having to restart the game all the way from the beginning every time you died :suicide:

Never not Iron Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
In Revision, if you have the targeting aug on when you go to login to a computer you somehow get this little piece of horror. Also, the location of the Backspace key on that keyboard is triggering.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The wild and unregulated world of ergonomic keyboards.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lemon-Lime posted:

The wild and unregulated world of ergonomic keyboards.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

More Revision weirdness. In Hells Kitchen there's two decorated interior rooms that don't apppear to be accessible without the ghost console command. One is empty. The other contains this weird shrine to Lucius DeBeers watched over by a character with no dialogue appropriately named "Quiet Man".

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 14, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Someone on reddit got their hands on Warren Spector's original annotated design document for Deus Ex
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_-knUokw90RzIwUEJsU2pYdWs/view

I haven't had time to read it all but there's probably some interesting stuff in there.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That is interesting as hell, wow. I'm halfway through and it has been a pro read so far.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The game was supposed to be like ten times longer lmao

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

Someone on reddit got their hands on Warren Spector's original annotated design document for Deus Ex
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_-knUokw90RzIwUEJsU2pYdWs/view

I haven't had time to read it all but there's probably some interesting stuff in there.

Late 90s game devs were incredibly thirsty.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I can't manage to read even a single handwritten sentence :(

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Xander77 posted:

I can't manage to read even a single handwritten sentence :(

This is why Drump won

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I've come to the conclusion that it was either poorly scanned or Warren Spector is actually a bag of spiders wearing human skin, based on his hand-writing.

I love the fact that of the three main conspiracy sites slated (Area 51, NORAD and the Urals) the one that Warren cut out was the only one to make it into the game.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ZearothK posted:

I've come to the conclusion that it was either poorly scanned or Warren Spector is actually a bag of spiders wearing human skin, based on his hand-writing.

An alternate possibility is that Warren Spector studied medicine at some point before becoming a game developer. I've never seen any doctor with a legible handwriting; and I'm pretty sure the reason why studies to become pharmacist are even longer than to become doctor is that there are years of training on how to decipher alien glyphs.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

http://www.dxm.be/navigator.php5?lang=en&content=202 - updates maps
http://code.google.com/p/deusexv2/ - fixes "Paul is not in his apartment" bug

Are those fixes necessary? Never saw much talk about them in this thread.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 17, 2016

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

quote:

Bugs fixed by the patch:
-Absence of music when entering Hell’s Kitchen a third time.
That wasn't intentional? That will definitely change the mood.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 15, 2016

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Does anyone have a link to the original Deus Ex HR announcement thread where people clowned on it for dozens of pages? The three things I can remember being in it are that terrible quote about the Icarus metaphor, prefixing cyber- and nano- to everything, and how the game would hold your hand by highlighting everything in the environment.

Whoops, found it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2990746

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

horse mans posted:

Does anyone have a link to the original Deus Ex HR announcement thread where people clowned on it for dozens of pages? The three things I can remember being in it are that terrible quote about the Icarus metaphor, prefixing cyber- and nano- to everything, and how the game would hold your hand by highlighting everything in the environment.

Whoops, found it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2990746

I remember public opinion of DX:HR among gamers being really negative until the leaked preview

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Segmentation Fault posted:

I remember public opinion of DX:HR among gamers being really negative until the leaked preview

I bought that game day 1 for $60 because of playing the leak.

Then I ended up never playing it until years later and it had gone on sale for like $15 multiple times so I over-payed 75% for loving nothing!!!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

horse mans posted:

Mankind Divided broke the fundamental rule of game novels in that never under any circumstances use the novel wholly as the background/introduction for your game. You get dumped in MD not knowing who half the people/factions are unless you read the book. Same thing happened with Mass Effect 3, they dumped Kai Lang in it and 95% of the people who played went 'who the gently caress is this guy'

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just finished HR (still great) and was reading up on the production.

I didn't realise that the guy who voices David Sarif went bonkers, went around dressed up as his character from the game and seems to genuinely believe the Illuminati is trying to kill him (with robotic fruit flies...?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbOZ-C5FZy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO2WIFTm7n4

He's now a Trump-obsessed hobo obsessed with proving the reality of Hilary Clinton's pizza-shop child sex dungeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qri7bg7HHM

edit:

Take THIS you smug English prick.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 20, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I just finished HR (still great) and was reading up on the production.

I didn't realise that the guy who voices David Sarif went bonkers, went around dressed up as his character from the game and seems to genuinely believe the Illuminati is trying to kill him (with robotic fruit flies...?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbOZ-C5FZy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO2WIFTm7n4

He's now a Trump-obsessed hobo obsessed with proving the reality of Hilary Clinton's pizza-shop child sex dungeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qri7bg7HHM

edit:

Take THIS you smug English prick.

From what I understand Shellen was always kind of off his rocker, and voice acting doesn't pay all that well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For those not in the know, there is finally an unofficial patch/mod for invisible war that gets rid of the minimizing between loading screens issue, adds widescreen support (including ultra wide) and the texture pack mods included. If this is a game you actually enjoy minus those inconveniences: this is for you. It's called the "visibility patch" or something like that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Somebody finally fixed the loading screens? That's pretty impressive

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Oh so stoked to really finally decide if it's a giant piece of poo poo or not.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Holy poo poo I just read that design doc and like most things, the design doc is nothing like the end product. Really loving impressed that the game came out the way it did

Edit: the last level was going to be this insane space station where you basically fight shodan and the devs had all kinds of super ambitious ideas especially for 1997.

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 27, 2017

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just finished Mankind Divided, fairly drat mediocre with terrible voice acting (exp Sarif) and level design.

Loading up DX1 with the new mods to wash out the bad taste. Looks like there's been a lot of stuff since shifter.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Party Plane Jones posted:

Mankind Divided broke the fundamental rule of game novels in that never under any circumstances use the novel wholly as the background/introduction for your game. You get dumped in MD not knowing who half the people/factions are unless you read the book. Same thing happened with Mass Effect 3, they dumped Kai Lang in it and 95% of the people who played went 'who the gently caress is this guy'

The books are actually pretty drat good. Also, the author seriously must hate Gunther because he gets his rear end kicked in both novels.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What are some good mods these days? Fancy a replay

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
When was your last run through and what mods did you use?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
A couple of years ago now and I think I only used shifter. Ideally something that doesn't alter the DTS damage so it can break all the doors and let me use some more unusual weapons i guess since I've done pistol/rifle/melee/heavy runs

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
General consensus is to always use biomod, it makes aug management a whole lot better. I've got it on my most recent playthrough and the DTS is still a useful lockpick. Also I think biomod adds some extra functionality to the weapons and unique ammo types beyond what shifter added but I don't know exactly what.

Beyond that the two more substantial mods are revision and gmdx. Both include level redesigns, with the general consensus being that gmdx's are more restrained and intelligent while revision changes more but sometimes just for the sake of it. Gmdx has more new guns if that's what you're after, but also raises the difficulty quite a lot which isn't to everyone's tastes.

Also now I'm going to have to finish my current playthrough, abandoned last year with JC somewhere in Paris.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Was reading an old pyf little moments in games thread and came across this post:

quote:

qntmauthor
Joined 17 Jun 2009

In Deus Ex, when you reach the home of Maggie Chow for the first time, you can of course take a good long look around the place before talking to her. There are books and data cubes all over the place, all full of great flavour text.

One of the rooms you can visit is Maggie Chow's office, which has her computer in it. Of course, hacking computers is pretty easy in DX even with a very basic hacking skills, but even if you have no such skills, DX will never put you into an unsolvable position. There is a non-invasive way to get into every computer. You can always get the password somehow. (The same is true of keypads.)

So you guess from the pattern of usernames earlier in the game that the username will be "mchow". Then you hunt around for clues and can't find anything. All you find is another datacube:

quote:
Mr. Hundley,
It has become necessary to change my system password since it may have become
compromised; I will encrypt the new password and forward it to you shortly.
Please note that any access attempts made using "Tai-Fun" should be tagged and
traced for interrogation.
-Maggie Chow

Hang on a second. You recognise that word from elsewhere. You go back to the maid's bedroom and you find the book "Tai-Fun" in there, but it has no clues in it. Then you discover a note in the hall:

quote:
When you have the time, May-Sung, I would suggest that you read two of my
favorite books: Insurgent and Tai-Fun. I believe you’ll find both of them as
illuminating as I have. They’re in my office if you’d like to borrow them.
-Maggie

One guess what Maggie changed her password to.

It's really not that hard a puzzle to solve. What I loved was that if you weren't paying attention, you would quite easily miss the puzzle entirely. The world is full of flavour text and every other password in the game is spelled out for you.

31/05/2012, 17:33
I've played this game a billion times and read all those books and never put that together!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

Was reading an old pyf little moments in games thread and came across this post:

I've played this game a billion times and read all those books and never put that together!

Isn't there another password/keypad puzzle related to chow that involves reading a memo where she brutalizes someone for forgetting her birthday or something? And then the code is her birthday, of course.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Surprised no one's linked to Warren Spector's GDC keynote. Here's a summary.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Basic Chunnel posted:

Surprised no one's linked to Warren Spector's GDC keynote. Here's a summary.

Most GDC talks are up in the vault about two weeks after the date so some time next week there should be a video of the talk!

I got a chance to go to this talk and found out that JC in JC Denton stands for Jesus Christ (but not in the way you might think) - Spector used to say "jesus christ, Denton" to his friend who is an author (and shares the same surname) whenever he was being over the top helpful

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Reading the post before last I was already readying myself to go find a screencap of that, but it looks like you're much faster on the draw than I.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Jesus Christ, Denton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Ainsley McTree posted:

Isn't there another password/keypad puzzle related to chow that involves reading a memo where she brutalizes someone for forgetting her birthday or something? And then the code is her birthday, of course.

Wasn't that the message from the little annoying kid (Louis Pan) saying happy birthday? That never made sense to me that he was mixed up in all that