Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Kinda wish they just would have let you dump money into the real estate properties (like when you send guys on surveying outings at the mod shop) and just make it so you get a better effect from advisor rankings. Having a miniscule amount of the bar go up sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Policenaut posted:

Man, this telephone game is a real pain in the rear end. I hate trying to figure out the voices of which girls I've already spoken to. I know about the bikini colors but it's a pain to kill five minutes on this thing and find out you got the wrong girl and stick through a few more minutes of dialogue before you can try again. Yet somehow this takes less time and effort than Hostess Clubs so thumbs up.

The input prompt speed is a dead giveaway.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Adaptabullshit posted:

And if you take your sweet time (or has the habit to stick behind a bigger selection), the correct choice flashes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

KingShiro posted:

Kinda wish they just would have let you dump money into the real estate properties (like when you send guys on surveying outings at the mod shop) and just make it so you get a better effect from advisor rankings. Having a miniscule amount of the bar go up sucks.

For me, I have been thwarted from naturally locating someone actually good at restaurants outside of "gently caress it, it's a four star average circle. throw 26 million dollars at Pleasure king again"

"Oh, the Mushroom salesman is going to Europe :sigh: Man, I was really hoping for-Oh my god, it's the Mafia guy who makes world class pasta! Finally I will... get another security guy :downsgun:"

Though considering Real Estate is just down to lazy timers in the end, I expect I will be on my knees chopping off a pinky in apology for ever poo poo talking Real Estate improvement rates. After seeing that club management actually involves, you know, taking the time to manage your club. Rather than letting the results roll in while you run off and play slot cars or do other sidequests.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Adaptabullshit posted:

Eventually I figured that out, but thank you. I managed to get all 4 substories done and now I'm just wrapping up Beast mode training before boot up Nioh.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Policenaut posted:

Eventually I figured that out, but thank you. I managed to get all 4 substories done and now I'm just wrapping up Beast mode training before boot up Nioh.

There are seven substories connected to the Telephone Club.

More detail:

Three girls that Kiryu goes on a "good" date with, three girls that Kiryu has a "bad date" with, and three girls that stand Kiryu up - the good dates and the bad dates each have their own substory, and there's one substory for all three of the girls that stand Kiryu up; once you get a girl that stands Kiryu up, you don't have to worry about getting the other stand-up girls in the other two colours.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
A friend asked:
"Hey, does Yakuza 0 have any call forwards to 5? What happened in that game anyway?"
It then occured to me that I was honestly unable to answer that without writing a half hour dissertation. 0's plot feels so much more straightforward by comparison, it's kinda refreshing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yeah Yakuza 0 has the best storytelling in the whole series I think, both in terms of plot and characterization. They did a surprisingly good job of writing Kazuma as someone who's not quite comfortable in his skin yet (and is also mad horny).

I found Yakuza 4 and 5 both pretty difficult to follow because the story was essentially four/five disparate elements only drawn together in the last hours. Yakuza 1 - 3 were tricky because of the family politics and business/property stuff, but never really overwhelming.

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 7, 2017

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
They really need to nerf the AI in the last levels of the dancing substories. I've hit a brick road in both of them and I'm pretty drat good at this point. I smashed the first and second of Majima's opponents by around double but the third girl has Korean Starcraft player levels of APM and crushes me every single time. I had the same drat trouble with Kiryu's.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just finished the story, what a masterpiece, I loved all the final battles and the ending ride. now time to finally build my cabaret and slotcar empires.

I read yesterday that the Kiwami game has a Majima Nemesis system where he can loving pop out of anywhere and fight you which sounds batshit so this might be the first year I add two games of the same series in my Best Of list at year's end.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So are there any tips for combat in general? I am getting to what I think is the end of chapter 1, and my current tactic of "mash lots of buttons because I forget what they do" is not particularly effective against Kuze. Maybe I should just switch to easy and enjoy the ride....

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lumpy posted:

So are there any tips for combat in general? I am getting to what I think is the end of chapter 1, and my current tactic of "mash lots of buttons because I forget what they do" is not particularly effective against Kuze. Maybe I should just switch to easy and enjoy the ride....

For strong single opponents like Kuze, Rush style is your best best. Go for hit-and-run attacks and don't be afraid to get in his face, because Kazuma's basic jabs in Rush mode come out faster than most of Kuze's attacks. Once you get him on the ground, use a Heat attack and back off because he's going to come up swinging.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lumpy posted:

For boss fights, it's probably worth loading up on a lot of stamina drinks for heat and health refill

For the first Kuze fight I would probably go with Thug style. Rush is really tempting because it's one enemy, but it kinda sucks DPS wise against a large health bar. Also you probably haven't unlocked any heat moves for Rush yet other than the kick an enemy when he goes down , so it really kinda sucks compared to how it works later.

Thug is a bit slower and not as east to dodge with, but if you can get a decent combo you can actually use a heat move for extra damage.

Sadly the actual best style for dealing with Kuze isn't unlocked until you progress further.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 7, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Man, the final chapter's kinda dragging me down. The fight against Kuze was so loving dull. "Kiryu this time I'll fight you for real! Not like the other 3 times!" and then he just does the same boring knockdown combo over and over again. Should've just used Brute and trivialized the battle but I was hoping he'd do something.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is Kuze the most persistent enemy in a game outside Majima? Although unlike the latter he's not intentionally being a joke.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

For strong single opponents like Kuze, Rush style is your best best. Go for hit-and-run attacks and don't be afraid to get in his face, because Kazuma's basic jabs in Rush mode come out faster than most of Kuze's attacks. Once you get him on the ground, use a Heat attack and back off because he's going to come up swinging.

For another viewpoint. I tried being clever with Rush style and got my rear end handed to me for my trouble. So I bet it all on Brawler's hyper armor (tank a hit while still swinging with your own hit) and won through in the war of attrition, sprinkling in Heats when I could get away with it.

PS: Items help, and will be reset if you still have to continue anyways. Remembering "Oh yeah, I've had a knife in my inventory this whole time!" would probably help you out, guess what I never though of :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 7, 2017

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Section Z posted:

PS: Items help, and will be reset if you still have to continue anyways. Remembering "Oh yeah, I've had a knife in my inventory this whole time!" would probably help you out, guess what I never though of :downs:

Yeah, I don't typically use weapons much because they feel against the spirit of things, but they are handy to pull out if you're really roadblocked. I eventually took out Kuze with a master ball.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

They really need to nerf the AI in the last levels of the dancing substories. I've hit a brick road in both of them and I'm pretty drat good at this point. I smashed the first and second of Majima's opponents by around double but the third girl has Korean Starcraft player levels of APM and crushes me every single time. I had the same drat trouble with Kiryu's.

I actually found it much easier to take on those final dance battles on Hard, counter-intuitively. The advantage the AI has is in taking more steps between prompts, so if you're on hard there are more prompts closer together, which gives the AI less time to step around in between.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Stelas posted:

Man, the final chapter's kinda dragging me down. The fight against Kuze was so loving dull. "Kiryu this time I'll fight you for real! Not like the other 3 times!" and then he just does the same boring knockdown combo over and over again. Should've just used Brute and trivialized the battle but I was hoping he'd do something.

I don't know -- I got several special environmental animations during that fight; Kuze punching the wall so hard it cracked, another QTE or two that I hadn't seen before. And what happened after that fight I was a bit upset about.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I never realized just how good Kiryu's fighting style in all the other yakuza games were until I unlocked the Legend style in 0. Tools for any situation, bounding throws are fun as hell, and the default fight music is great. I'm having a hard time switching to other styles now except for maybe Beast if there's a lot of stuff around.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Stelas posted:

the fights that Majima gets and the ultimate fight Kiryu gets at the end are much better. Kiryu's in particular is an MGS4-esque deathmatch against your dark mirror, styles and all.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I really fuckin don't like the way dance battles work. hearing the other guy's mistakes and thinking I made one is actively working against me and making me unable to beat the final dance battle sidequest.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Holy hell, Chapter 10 loving OPENS with the big nutso reveal, and now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. This game, man.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Section Z posted:

For me, I have been thwarted from naturally locating someone actually good at restaurants outside of "gently caress it, it's a four star average circle. throw 26 million dollars at Pleasure king again"

I found the bartender at Earth Angel is a double circle at resturants, stumbled on her doing pocket race substories

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

KingShiro posted:

I found the bartender at Earth Angel is a double circle at resturants, stumbled on her doing pocket race substories

Always a case of "That one bar you've never gone to" when it comes to these things, ain't it. Thanks for the heads up. Should come in handy when I'm back to Kiryu and freaking the gently caress out over the last king probably charging literally a billion dollars per building or something... Oh christ he's actually going to charge a billion dollars per building isn't he.

Other dawning suspicions. I'm probably not going to be allowed to freely switch between protagonists until the last second of the main plot, aren't I. Goro it's time to learn to work your way up through pretty princess land the hard way.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 7, 2017

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I read yesterday that the Kiwami game has a Majima Nemesis system where he can loving pop out of anywhere and fight you which sounds batshit so this might be the first year I add two games of the same series in my Best Of list at year's end.

It sounds good, but in reality it's incredibly annoying and bad.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The full set of Kiryu's unlockable advisors are:

Masochistic Man - train your dominatrix
Miracle Johnson - Do the TV shoot story, Music Video story, and the Miracle at the Disco story (you don't need to win). Best at media
Fortuneteller - Do her substory
Marusa - After taking over 2 or so districts, you'll get a call when you go back to thenoffice. Take it and complete the story. Best at businesses.
Earth Mama - Drink the top whiskey at Earth Angel bar in Champion district after unlocking Real estate tycoon.
Krazy Kyo - Do the drat Yank sidestory.

Media King and Pleasure King also become advisors once you beat them. Pleasure King is the best at Health/Sexy spots.

For managers:
Sachiko - Do the Busuera ring sidestory.
Kato and Spinning - Direct the music video
Kasuga - do his 2 substories (they originate from SHELLAC in the Champion district.
Nugget - Befriend the Mach Bowl clerk
The Gambling, Electronics, and Leisure King also become managers once you beat them.

Security:
Mafia Boss - Befriend mushroom dude.
Li Leung - Discover the password
Officer Kikuichi - Befriend him (Stop and frisk guy)
Video Boy - watch 3 adult videos as Kiryu and do sidestory.
Koshizumu-Kun - complete the interview sidestories.

The other security guards come as bonus for beating the Electronics, Leisure, and Pleasure Kings.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 9, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Section Z posted:

Always a case of "That one bar you've never gone to" when it comes to these things, ain't it. Thanks for the heads up. Should come in handy when I'm back to Kiryu and freaking the gently caress out over the last king probably charging literally a billion dollars per building or something... Oh christ he's actually going to charge a billion dollars per building isn't he.

Other dawning suspicions. I'm probably not going to be allowed to freely switch between protagonists until the last second of the main plot, aren't I. Goro it's time to learn to work your way up through pretty princess land the hard way.

Only one of the media Kings properties is over 1 billion (it's like 1.2 bil), though a few are like 998 million.

Grab it first because it's by far the highest earning in the game. It's a disco, and it's across from the Korean BBQ place I want to say.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'm pretty sure that almost half of the media king's properties are over a billion, and the most expensive one is about 1.6 billion.

Edit: I might be wrong. 1.6 billion may have been how much I was collecting each "day".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Has anyone beaten Miracle? Is it possible?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Has anyone beaten Miracle? Is it possible?

Absolutely not. His score goes up faster than actual perfect scores.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

When can I access little asia? I wanna get all the phone cards and one of them is in there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

exploded mummy posted:

The full set of Kiryu's unlockablr advisors are:

Thanks. I already have most of these just through normal gameplay. Scratch that, I have literally all of these EXCEPT the Earth Mama (and Video boy), so of course that's apparently is the only one good at Restaurants :sigh:

Everything I've tried to look up about advisors never says what they are any loving good at, anyways.

"Well, I've got them. And them. And them. And they don't bother saying what they even do. gently caress it, that mushroom salesman will probably be great at resteraunts-oh he went to Europe... Oh, sweet, the Mafia guy who used to run a restaurant is joining-Oh he's loving security, really?"

No I will not let that go.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Zaggitz posted:

When can I access little asia? I wanna get all the phone cards and one of them is in there.

One of the later chapters, somewhere like 8 or so. Impossible to miss, but it's a part of the story.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Crappy Jack posted:

One of the later chapters, somewhere like 8 or so. Impossible to miss, but it's a part of the story.

Also, there's basically nothing in there but story events, a phone, and that phone card. Kinda disappointing, actually.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Section Z posted:

Thanks. I already have most of these just through normal gameplay. Scratch that, I have literally all of these EXCEPT the Earth Mama (and Video boy), so of course that's apparently is the only one good at Restaurants :sigh:

Everything I've tried to look up about advisors never says what they are any loving good at, anyways.

"Well, I've got them. And them. And them. And they don't bother saying what they even do. gently caress it, that mushroom salesman will probably be great at resteraunts-oh he went to Europe... Oh, sweet, the Mafia guy who used to run a restaurant is joining-Oh he's loving security, really?"

No I will not let that go.

I'm not sure the mushroom dude who is the biggest dipshit in the world would be an investing god.

At least the Mafia guy is probably the best actual security guard.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

exploded mummy posted:

I'm not sure the mushroom dude who is the biggest dipshit in the world would be an investing god.

At least the Mafia guy is probably the best actual security guard.

If a live chicken Managing stores works, then a supposed expert in mushrooms can tell me more about restaurants :colbert:

(As is murphy's law. Dozens of two strikes in a row attempts, followed by like 6 strikes in a row, a spare, strike spare etc landslide)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mikeycp posted:

It sounds good, but in reality it's incredibly annoying and bad.

Yeah, Majima Everywhere is a platonic example of "too much of a good thing."

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm not sure what a fake delinquent rocker knows about pachinko, but apparently the only person who knows more is Michael Jackson

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Got the pocket circuit stadium to rank S but pocket circuit fighter still only gets paid $8 an hour :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CharlestonJew posted:

Got the pocket circuit stadium to rank S but pocket circuit fighter still only gets paid $8 an hour :smith:

Also: