Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Do iCloud backups balloon in size sometimes? I'm looking at my iPhone backup now which is 3.3 GB, but if I tally up all the apps that are allowed to backup I don't get above 1 GB.

Could it be that the backup is filling up with some kind of junk? I tried deleting the backup and redoing it, but that didn't fix anything. I'd like to be able to back up both my iPhone and iPad, but that's not possible now. I'm not willing to pay for more iCloud space as I already pay for Google Photos and this isn't important enough for me. But it is annoying that it doesn't just work™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

89 posted:

I'm pretty sure going naked on this iPhone provides just as much protection as using the Apple leather case against falls.

I dropped my leather-clad iPhone SE 20 feet onto some gym bleachers and it survived without a scratch. Well, without any new scratches.

Maybe it's because of how small it is. Like how ants can survive falls from great heights because they never reach a fatal terminal velocity.

iPhone SE superiority.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

LPG Giant posted:

Do iCloud backups balloon in size sometimes? I'm looking at my iPhone backup now which is 3.3 GB, but if I tally up all the apps that are allowed to backup I don't get above 1 GB.

Could it be that the backup is filling up with some kind of junk? I tried deleting the backup and redoing it, but that didn't fix anything. I'd like to be able to back up both my iPhone and iPad, but that's not possible now. I'm not willing to pay for more iCloud space as I already pay for Google Photos and this isn't important enough for me. But it is annoying that it doesn't just work™.

It's backing up more than the stuff on that list. Including some stuff you cannot toggle. For instance, It's also backing up your text messages.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm talking to you tho

I am not mad at phone cases or watches, no.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Krispy Kareem posted:

I dropped my leather-clad iPhone SE 20 feet onto some gym bleachers and it survived without a scratch. Well, without any new scratches.

Maybe it's because of how small it is. Like how ants can survive falls from great heights because they never reach a fatal terminal velocity.

iPhone SE superiority.

Also iPhone 5S superiority

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Biodome posted:

It's backing up more than the stuff on that list. Including some stuff you cannot toggle. For instance, It's also backing up your text messages.

And I'm guessing there's no way to toggle that off? I really don't care about my iMessage history. 2.3 gigs seems like a lot of extra stuff, though I guess iMessage could eat up that much.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LPG Giant posted:

And I'm guessing there's no way to toggle that off? I really don't care about my iMessage history. 2.3 gigs seems like a lot of extra stuff, though I guess iMessage could eat up that much.

You can set your phone to only keep the last 30 days of messages, instead of forever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Delete your texts.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Setting texts to delete after X time frame is really the best Apple innovation ever. Just LOL if you're hanging onto old conversations.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I have texts from 2007, including a conversation I had with some chulo, apparently some girl gave him a fake number and it was mine and he signed every text N!gm@m0bs.

Still don't know what that means.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

bobfather posted:

Setting texts to delete after X time frame is really the best Apple innovation ever. Just LOL if you're hanging onto old conversations.

timb wants you to let go and move on

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Biodome posted:

See, I don't think that's the problem here. If my iPad is using, say, 2.4 GB and I delete the backup and backup again, it can go down to e.g. 1.5 GB, without me changing/deleting/uninstalling anything.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Okay I deleted my texts that and the backup size went from 3.3 GB to 3.3 GB. Any other hot tips?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Stop caring.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Give up and pay 99 cents monthly to increase iCloud storage to 50GB.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
In headphone news it looks like the BeatsX earbuds are finally going to start showing up!

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/07/beatsx-wirless-earbuds-february-10th/

Bonus: new colours (I kinda like the blue). If they are decent sound quality I'll probably get a set, the EarPods don't really block sound well enough and I assume the AirPods are similar.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

LPG Giant posted:

Okay I deleted my texts that and the backup size went from 3.3 GB to 3.3 GB. Any other hot tips?

Reboot.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Did that already.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I remember my WhatsApp backup being way larger than it actually was on the iPhone. I turned iCloud backup off for WhatsApp. Then did a backup without it and toggling it back on and doing a backup again. After that it had more or less the same size as on my iPhone. Don't know what that was about. Maybe it's something like that in your case too.

Or you could pay 99 cents a month.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LPG Giant posted:

Do you have a + model? My backups went from like 1.4GB to 3+GB once I upgraded from a 4.7" to 5.5" phone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LPG Giant posted:

Did that already.

Have you disabled backing up your camera roll?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

carry on then posted:

Have you disabled backing up your camera roll?

Yes. Total backup size when tallying the apps is 1 GB.

enojy posted:

Do you have a + model? My backups went from like 1.4GB to 3+GB once I upgraded from a 4.7" to 5.5" phone.

Nope, regular 7. 128 GB.

bronin posted:

I remember my WhatsApp backup being way larger than it actually was on the iPhone. I turned iCloud backup off for WhatsApp. Then did a backup without it and toggling it back on and doing a backup again. After that it had more or less the same size as on my iPhone. Don't know what that was about. Maybe it's something like that in your case too.

Or you could pay 99 cents a month.

Right, but the total size tallied is not that big yet. Biggest is health data at 600 MB.

Obviously I could pay them the 99 cents. That's nothing. But it's not right to pay Apple for something they're clearly loving up. I'm enjoying this thread though, it'd be great if we could figure out some way to reducing backup sizes.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
iTunes wireless backup on the mac os is pretty good if nothing else

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You don't say how you are reaching your total. If you go settings > general > storage & iCloud usage > manage storage, it'll list everything there, which includes the ever-ballooning 'documents and data' in the sizes shown.
Your app sizes seem suspiciously small.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Khablam posted:

You don't say how you are reaching your total. If you go settings > general > storage & iCloud usage > manage storage, it'll list everything there, which includes the ever-ballooning 'documents and data' in the sizes shown.
Your app sizes seem suspiciously small.

I get to my size by tallying up the sizes of all apps that are in my iphone backup. I ignore the ones that are excluded from the backup, like photos library. The size of the documents and data is irrelevant because the strange part is the difference between the 1 GB I get from tallying to 3.3 GB for the actual backup size. The documents and data is separate from that (and the size is about 400 MB).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a chance that there's an app or two that has some local cache data that's getting backed up (that's separate from documents and data I think?) and every so often it clears it out, which is what brings your backup size down again?

Alternatively, does iCloud sometimes store multiple older backups at a time, leaving you with the larger sizes?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

LPG Giant posted:

I get to my size by tallying up the sizes of all apps that are in my iphone backup. I ignore the ones that are excluded from the backup, like photos library. The size of the documents and data is irrelevant because the strange part is the difference between the 1 GB I get from tallying to 3.3 GB for the actual backup size. The documents and data is separate from that (and the size is about 400 MB).

Why do you think this?

It's part of the backup.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Khablam posted:

Why do you think this?

It's part of the backup.

I think this makes it pretty clear that documents and data is separate from the backup

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

LPG Giant posted:

I think this makes it pretty clear that documents and data is separate from the backup

You need professional help.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You need professional help.

Maybe so, but they're not wrong.

Apple posted:

Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn’t include data already stored in iCloud.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph12519

iCloud Documents and Data is shared between devices so there's no point in duplicating it across multiple device backups. The only way this would happen is if you have iCloud Drive disabled.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

When you go to send a text and you type in a person's name, is there any way to disable the feature that makes every combination of people that you've group texted with that person pop up?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

LPG Giant posted:

Yes, it does, but since you skipped over telling anyone what numbers you were adding up when asked before, forgive me?

If it adds up wrong, then it's probably the long-standing expanding backup issue. It's been asked about on Apple support forums since iOS 8 or so without ever having an official reply. It's probably some combination of interrupted incremental backups not cleaning up after themselves, but it's all proprietary so no one knows that'll tell you.

The only fix is to delete every backup in iCloud, do a reboot of the iPhone, turn iCloud backup on again and let it start clean. That should be smaller.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Finally got some AirPods today, they're awesome!

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Khablam posted:

Yes, it does, but since you skipped over telling anyone what numbers you were adding up when asked before, forgive me?

If it adds up wrong, then it's probably the long-standing expanding backup issue. It's been asked about on Apple support forums since iOS 8 or so without ever having an official reply. It's probably some combination of interrupted incremental backups not cleaning up after themselves, but it's all proprietary so no one knows that'll tell you.

The only fix is to delete every backup in iCloud, do a reboot of the iPhone, turn iCloud backup on again and let it start clean. That should be smaller.

That worked perfectly, thanks! Down to 700 MB now.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Well, this is fun.

I erased my old iPhone 6S for somebody else, making sure to deactivate it from my account, following all the listed directions. After a restart, it says it's activation locked to some account I don't know.

I'm the only person who've ever used that phone. Lame, Apple. Lame.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Small White Dragon posted:

Well, this is fun.

I erased my old iPhone 6S for somebody else, making sure to deactivate it from my account, following all the listed directions. After a restart, it says it's activation locked to some account I don't know.

Apple didn't do anything wrong, you did.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Apple didn't do anything wrong, you did.
If you're not being sarcastic, I'd love to know what I missed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If you're not being sarcastic, I'd love to know what I missed.
Contact Apple, assuming you have some form of proof of purchase.

I only remembered this because of a recent story about the Activation Lock website being removed.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Well, this is fun.

Could be related to this.

Apparently hackers were finding good serial numbers, and changing the serial on iCloud locked ones so they could be used. Which then locks the original phone they stole the serial from when it gets wiped. Hence Apple removing the serial checker a while back.

Apple can fix it, but you might need some kind of proof of purchase for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Well, this is fun.

It happened to me when I took over my wife's phone. Apple store fixed it with a receipt from my email that had the serial # of something in it. Took about 15 minutes for them to unlock it.