Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

apparently my (republican) senator turned off all of his office's phone lines, which is why i couldn't get through earlier

i assumed the lines were just busy :laffo:

have you considered driving to his office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Charliegrs posted:

Can anyone tell me if a Federal contractor is barred from protesting or donating to political organizations? I know it seems like a dumb question but I'm genuinely curious. I remember when money was being raised to investigate the election results it specifically said as a Federal contractor I'm not allowed to donate. And I don't really want to ask my boss about it as I don't want to draw any negative attention to myself that could lead to me losing my job.

There are zero whistleblower protections, if you want to keep your job, don't mention a loving thing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I don't know what protests you guys are going to that that sort of thing is necessary, but yikes.

The sort of protest the police decides it needs tabs on, basically. I participated in the 2006-09 squatter riots in Copenhagen, and being the most visible challenge to the police and politician power monopoly, we were targeted. It is very likely that an organization with the reach and means of the US police will attempt to jam and tap phones in anti-Trump protests.

Jamming phone and internet at protests where the police wants 'order'( ie. media blackout) is more or less the norm in developed countries now. As late as the Standing Rock protests, military signals were called on, using both fake masts and DRTBX-type jammers to destroy phone power and hack phones respectively( I.. think? Not sure what the Dirtbox does).

Also, this is excellent advice:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Don't go without a cellphone. Go to Walmart and get a $20 prepaid android phone. Use Signal and WhatsApp. Install a VOIP app so you can make wifi calls when the cell network goes down.

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 2, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I don't know what protests you guys are going to that that sort of thing is necessary, but yikes.

Cops deploy stingrays pretty often, much more often than most people realize (because you don't know they've done it, it's just a little box with an antenna in a van somewhere out of sight) and generally it only comes out that it's in use once they decide they need to prosecute some people and magically pull a list of everyone that was at a protest out of thin air.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tias posted:

Jamming phone and internet at protests where the police wants 'order'( ie. media blackout) is more or less the norm in developed countries now. As late as the Standing Rock protests, military signals were called on, using both fake masts and DRTBX-type jammers to destroy phone power and hack phones respectively( I.. think? Not sure what the Dirtbox does).

Hm, I wonder if it would be helpful to make some kind of alternate communication system, like radio links on bands they don't usually jam to get network connections into the thick of the protest via alternate means... I've been thinking about ways my dumb electronics hobby could be put to good use too...

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just tried to call Senator Bill Nelson re: the Supreme Court nomination and his mailbox is full. :laugh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Hm, I wonder if it would be helpful to make some kind of alternate communication system, like radio links on bands they don't usually jam to get network connections into the thick of the protest via alternate means... I've been thinking about ways my dumb electronics hobby could be put to good use too...

You would need some method of encoding it as broadcasting over unencoded radio would probably not be advisable.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm in Arizona. I've been trying to contact my Senators for... oh, so many reasons. McCain and Flake only return busy signals to me, though.

I did at least get in touch with my Rep's office and pass on "please oppose the border wall", but the chance that my notably terrible Representative is going to do anything but agree with evil things other people proposed is very low.

Will try the Senators again later today and call up my Congressman again tomorrow.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You would need some method of encoding it as broadcasting over unencoded radio would probably not be advisable.

Oh yeah it would probably just be an encrypted point to point link but sent over a, uh, novel frequency or other media. I'm guessing the jammers aren't wide-band enough to block the entire spectrum and probably just block 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and the GSM bands so if you use something in the other ISM bands it should get through... I don't know how practical this is at all though I'm just sort of thinking out loud.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/burnlittlelight/status/826903075361157120 this is a good thread

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ZeeToo posted:

I'm in Arizona. I've been trying to contact my Senators for... oh, so many reasons. McCain and Flake only return busy signals to me, though.

I did at least get in touch with my Rep's office and pass on "please oppose the border wall", but the chance that my notably terrible Representative is going to do anything but agree with evil things other people proposed is very low.

Will try the Senators again later today and call up my Congressman again tomorrow.

Try faxing them if you can't get through on the phone, it's free. https://faxzero.com/fax_senate.php

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The Senate Committee on Homeland Security is taking calls about Bannon's appointment to the NSC, AKA the government body tasked with deciding who to murder without trial. The number is 202-224-4751, so now's a good time to let them know why a dude who advocates for race war is maybe not the best person to be in charge of the death squads.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
For those who are twitter-averse, it's a pretty good breakdown of a current ideological divide in the LGBT community, that there is a portion of the LGBT community that is still averse to transexual rights, and that this divide could be exploited to push through anti-trans-gendered executive orders with less pushback. Little Light argues that the liberals and the left must keep coalition and fight and protest this as well.

I agree.

That being said, I'm suffering a little bit of politics fatigue, especially since my friend who thought he was immune to everything actually opened up and wants to discuss the issues, and is actually strongly green in his philosophies and is willing to learn more. In fact, a lot of my friends are starting to come out to me with their political views, and good strong discussions are happening.

Unfortunately, all this political proselytizing is draining my brain something fierce, and I need a good way to recharge and recenter. Anyone got any ideas?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Veyrall posted:

For those who are twitter-averse, it's a pretty good breakdown of a current ideological divide in the LGBT community, that there is a portion of the LGBT community that is still averse to transexual rights, and that this divide could be exploited to push through anti-trans-gendered executive orders with less pushback. Little Light argues that the liberals and the left must keep coalition and fight and protest this as well.

I agree.

That being said, I'm suffering a little bit of politics fatigue, especially since my friend who thought he was immune to everything actually opened up and wants to discuss the issues, and is actually strongly green in his philosophies and is willing to learn more. In fact, a lot of my friends are starting to come out to me with their political views, and good strong discussions are happening.

Unfortunately, all this political proselytizing is draining my brain something fierce, and I need a good way to recharge and recenter. Anyone got any ideas?

Read good books written by effective activists and spend time with people who are capable of effective analysis. Nothing revitalizes like being given a clear vision or political insight that you did not have before. If I may make a recommendation, "Freedom is a Constant Struggle" by Angela Davis is a good choice.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Additionally, self-care. All the basics: keep yourself fed and watered and clean. Spend time with your friends/family/pets, get outside - reacquaint yourself with everything you love. You can't be helpful if you're running on fumes, after all.

Also detach from twitter and all of the new sources for a little while, if you can. I had to do this myself when my twitter feed was giving my hourly updates on the muslim ban and to manage my stress I turned it all off and played video games for a while. (Privilege at work, I know, but the point is maintaining our stamina.)

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
To recharge I like to run or hike, occasionally drink a couple wines, stop reading the news for a day, or get into a good book. I do this all with the knowledge that at the end of the day I won't forget the good fight.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

to recharge i like taking a solid swing at a nazi you should all try that

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nothing wrong with a glass of wine, but I will heartily recommend against partying out of it. At least where I live, substance abuse is rampant in leftist circles, and too many good young people burn out because they commit all their days to activism and all their nights to partying hard.

Try to work out what makes sense to you. Humans are social animals, we need friends and lovers and places to relax with others.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I know a lot of people who are now sober who use their sobriety as an act of resistance in and of itself. Staying sober in 2017 is loving hard.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Tias posted:

Nothing wrong with a glass of wine, but I will heartily recommend against partying out of it. At least where I live, substance abuse is rampant in leftist circles, and too many good young people burn out because they commit all their days to activism and all their nights to partying hard.

Try to work out what makes sense to you. Humans are social animals, we need friends and lovers and places to relax with others.

Props on your red title

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is anyone here organizing with any of these Indivisible groups that have sprung up?

I'm wondering if like my local group they're all not planning on running or supporting alternative candidates if their reps don't listen?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

Props on your red title

Yeah, a bunch of colossal spergs in the Standing Rock not accepting that corporate property shouldn't have human rights I guess v:shobon:v

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Is anyone here organizing with any of these Indivisible groups that have sprung up?

I'm wondering if like my local group they're all not planning on running or supporting alternative candidates if their reps don't listen?

Seems like the name "indivisible" would imply they wouldn't want to run alternative candidates but who knows

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tias posted:

Yeah, a bunch of colossal spergs in the Standing Rock not accepting that corporate property shouldn't have human rights I guess v:shobon:v

Wait, that's what they're mad at you about? The red text fairy needs a proofreader, because I was getting the inpression someone got mad at you for arguing that it should.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, that's what they're mad at you about? The red text fairy needs a proofreader, because I was getting the inpression someone got mad at you for arguing that it should.

The red text fairy has a political bent that I would probably describe as "the most milquetoast liberalism ever"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tias posted:

I would unironically put that red text of yours on a T-shirt.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

OwlFancier posted:

The red text fairy has a political bent that I would probably describe as "the most milquetoast liberalism ever"

The intersection between that red text and other ones formatted the same way to do with issues of race is pretty hilarious (the red text fairy in question seems to be an avid, if intellectually dishonest, reader of race related threads).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I would unironically put that red text of yours on a T-shirt.

Aw, you guys are the best :3:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seems like the name "indivisible" would imply they wouldn't want to run alternative candidates but who knows

but their whole spiel is that they're emulating the tea party and running or supporting candidates seemed like a big part of the tea party

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

jarofpiss posted:

to recharge i like taking a solid swing at a nazi you should all try that

:same:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I mean the problem with indivisible is it was put together by congressional staffers, who have a vested interest in not upsetting the apple cart. You'll notice the original guide makes no mention of mounting a grassroots challenge to incumbents in the primaries (or at least threatening to) as a tactic. That doesn't mean that individual indivisible groups might not do this -- I don't get the sense that there's that much top-down command & control in place and ultimately the agenda is decided by the people that show up. But it's something to keep in mind when getting involved with them.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Baby Babbeh posted:

I mean the problem with indivisible is it was put together by congressional staffers, who have a vested interest in not upsetting the apple cart.

I didn't know that and interestingly enough from listening to what people were saying about it I was starting to get the notion that it was written by democrats with no real intention of providing advice for actually getting anything done. Go figure.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Baby Babbeh posted:

I mean the problem with indivisible is it was put together by congressional staffers, who have a vested interest in not upsetting the apple cart. You'll notice the original guide makes no mention of mounting a grassroots challenge to incumbents in the primaries (or at least threatening to) as a tactic. That doesn't mean that individual indivisible groups might not do this -- I don't get the sense that there's that much top-down command & control in place and ultimately the agenda is decided by the people that show up. But it's something to keep in mind when getting involved with them.
Ya it took me until the second read through to really pick up on that. It sort of dawned on me that there was absolutely nothing about pressuring your MoC from the left. I think its very valuable as a guide in the "What do MoC care about" but not much beyond that. Even its analysis of the Tea Party as 'only defense with no policy proposals' is incorrect if you look back at it. Opposing the Obama administration was their core tenant but from the very beginning, they pushed a limited government/cut spending platform that was fairly universal across their individual groups.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
http://time.com/4661074/republican-town-hall-criticism-obamacare-repeal/
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/republicans-obamacare-repeal-town-halls-234651
http://health.wusf.usf.edu/post/rep-bilirakis-hears-obamacare-supporters-during-town-hall#stream/0
http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/a-bilirakis-gathering-turns-out-to-be-strongly-pro-obamacare/2312107

My home district. :dance:
Rumors abound that Gus is heading for retirement anyway but I'm still loving it.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 7, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sup Tampa bro. I heard about that but the way local NPR reported it was "all but 3 speakers supported replacing the law" so it sounded much more depressing, and they ended with "but he says his position was not changed though he appreciated hearing ~differing opinions~"

Also while I'm thinking about it you got any leads on stuff to do in Tampa? I'm calling reps and donating and such but I've never really gotten involved in person before and don't really know where to start...

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Sup Tampa bro. I heard about that but the way local NPR reported it was "all but 3 speakers supported replacing the law"
Hey bud!!! And what the actual gently caress, NPR? :sigh:

quote:

Also while I'm thinking about it you got any leads on stuff to do in Tampa?
I've been unable to find any DSA/Indivisible etc orgs closer than Orlando and have just been working with the local Dem orgs. We moved from downtown out to Pasco several years back, and mostly are involved with the groups out here now. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to hook up and hit events out this way!

While down there my wife was pretty involved with the South Tampa Democratic Club and recommends them highly. "She's awesome!" was her comment on the contact person, Jane Gibbons (gibbjane54 at the gmails).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Hey bud!!! And what the actual gently caress, NPR? :sigh:

I'm 99% sure they misspoke and meant "all but 3 people didn't support it" or something, though they still sorta did the usual NPR thing of couching it in "neutral" terms and eugh. Whatever, good to hear they were wrong :3:

Kekekela posted:

I've been unable to find any DSA/Indivisible etc orgs closer than Orlando and have just been working with the local Dem orgs. We moved from downtown out to Pasco several years back, and mostly are involved with the groups out here now. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to hook up and hit events out this way!

While down there my wife was pretty involved with the South Tampa Democratic Club and recommends them highly. "She's awesome!" was her comment on the contact person, Jane Gibbons (gibbjane54 at the gmails).

Cool, thanks!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
NPR prides themselves constantly on being fair, neutral, across-the-board coverage that makes everyone upset, which is cool and good, but sometimes one side in an issue is blatantly, demonstrably wrong, and then it can be genuinely frustrating on occasion. It sometimes feels like they're giving a false air of legitimacy to arguments which are tenuous or outright crazy. I recall a story I heard about Heimlich a while back which was pretty interesting, but written in a really loving weird way, because it spent about 1/3 of its time talking up and praising the Heimlich maneuver, about 1/3 of its time talking about Heimlich's life story, and about 1/3 of its time talking about his insane 'malariatherapy' woo where he thinks that infecting people with neutered malaria viruses cures cancer and prolongs life with no upper bound (more malaria==more healthier), and then what felt like just a couple minutes of blurb at the end saying basically 'well HE says his unethical secret malaria treatment program produced results but the rest of the world is skeptical oh and also the Heimlich maneuver is probably about as effective as these others anti-choking measures oh and also Heimlich might be insane BUT YOU'VE GOT TO ADMIT HE GETS RESULTS'. They did question the credibility of his claims a few times throughout, but it's weird to spend so much of a program just blandly letting him talk about how Malaria is the secret to eternal life and then devote only a couple of minutes to 'oh and pretty much all actual research refutes every claim he makes'.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Nice Polite Republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Marketplace, which is technically APM but is broadcast on NPR, went completely out of its way to bash minimum wage increases at any chance they got. We are talking about self contradictory stuff, like a story about a city that increased the minimum wage, where they interviewed a business owner on the next town over about how she couldn't hire anyone because everyone went to work at the city with the higher wage, and a business owner from the city with the higher wage, about how she had to fire a bunch of people because she couldn't afford workers anymore.

• Locked thread