Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes, but did you watch the "webisodes" that were put out after the cancellation?
They were pretty terrible.

The biggest thing was that they were victim to lovely technology and video limitations. They could easily get a season or such on Netflix but back in 2000 they were stuck with dial-up friendly video clips and time limitations, and a very ill-advised attempt to write according to what they thought the Internet crowd was. Honestly, I'm not sure why they haven't tried getting a season on Netflix to see what happens. Most of the people are still around and Jay Sherman sure as hell hasn't gotten stale.

Oh, and this is a Simpsons thread. Honestly, I can't even remember why I stopped watching. I've seen bits and pieces of the show but the whole thing is moving wallpaper at this point. It's going to be 30 years old at least before it's all said and done and I'm not even interested in it anymore. It's going to be what SNL and Weird Al are to comedy: great when you were first introduced to it, and not much after you get out of its orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Last Chance posted:

I thought the movie really sucked, but the consensus is that it's okay-ish? I thought it was very humdrum, run-of-the-mill poo poo.

It was, which is a huge improvement compared to the last 15 or so years.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I remember reading an interview with Matt Groening a few years ago where he said that making the animation as stiff and stale as possible was something he personally started enforcing around seasons 9-11 and that it was 'really important to the integrity of the show' because he wanted the writing to stick in people's minds instead of the visuals, and that old Hanna-Barbara cartoons that reused animations and backgrounds all the time were basically the standard he wanted to get to, and I honestly couldn't tell whether or not he was just taking the piss.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I remember when the movie came out I was still just barely clinging to my Simpsons obsession, and sitting through it was one of the most awkward moments I've ever had in a theater. The audience was laughing, but you could just feel that everyone was forcing laughter because they felt like they should be laughing. I've watched it only one time since then, it doesn't hold up, it's exactly as bad as any other random zombie Simpsons episode where they're just trying SO hard to cram jokes into every single line and moment but most of them are falling flat.

This thread seems to pop up every few months in GBS and it's always interesting to see everyone's different interpretations of when and why it stopped being good, though a lot of them are incorrect talking points that always pop up on the internet and won't die, like:

"It went to poo poo when the writers left for Futurama." - False, it was already declining by this point, it just so happened that Futurama premiered only shortly after the classic era of The Simpsons ended. See also "when it decided to start mimicking Family Guy" (which it never really did)

"After Conan left the show." - Conan only wrote a few episodes and left before the decline. Yes the show was written as a committee but Conan was *edit - whoops* - just never really that major of a player in the show's success.

"Armin Tanzarian episode" - whether you like or hate the episode, it just happened to fall right at the beginning of season 9. There's a drastic difference between season 8 and season 9 due to Mike Scully taking over as showrunner and feeling that the show should be edgier and that the rules the show had established for itself should be challenged.

Also it's true that anyone who thinks the love of the old episodes is just out of nostalgia owes it to themselves to head over to SimpsonsWorld.com and just choose literally any episode from seasons 3-7. They're legit good and they hold up very well. Season 2 is also actually very good and has this kind of darker, depressing tone about it, but it isn't as funny as 3-7. Season 1 is laughably archaic, but amazing to see how drastically the show improved in just one year. Season 8 is mostly still great but you start to see tropes of the later seasons creeping in.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 7, 2017

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
Conan was what?

edit: oh, okay.

PallasAthene fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 7, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

"Armin Tanzarian episode" - whether you like or hate the episode, it just happened to fall right at the beginning of season 9. There's a drastic difference between season 8 and season 9 due to Mike Scully taking over as showrunner and feeling that the show should be edgier and that the rules the show had established for itself should be challenged.

The Principal and The Pauper isn't even that bad by terrible episode standards. Yeah, it's a garbage concept for an episode and insults the viewer's intelligence, but pick out any random episode from, let's say, 2007 to the present, and Armin Tanzarian is a brilliant idea in contrast. At least there is a concept behind that episode vs. some run-of-the-mill zombie afterthought that came years later.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The Principal and The Pauper isn't even that bad by terrible episode standards. Yeah, it's a garbage concept for an episode and insults the viewer's intelligence, but pick out any random episode from, let's say, 2007 to the present, and Armin Tanzarian is a brilliant idea in contrast. At least there is a concept behind that episode vs. some run-of-the-mill zombie afterthought that came years later.

This, and also I think the backlash it received only proves the point they were trying to make in the first place. It's honestly possibly the most interesting episode of The Simpsons in that regard. I think it "works" if you view it as a thought experiment and not entirely canonical. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the episode should have conveyed that to to the audience. A last minute reveal that this was Skinner writing a fictionalized autobiography of himself, or something of that nature could have fixed that, but also would dilute the concept.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Another point I'd make against Principal and the Pauper is that Itchy, Scratchy, and Poochie had already made all the same points, but did in within the context of the show. It was also just funnier all around despite the super cringe-y scene where they use Bart as a proxy for their "not like you nerds could do any better" rant even though it makes no sense for Bart's character to hold such a position. The iconic scenes with the kids focus group and "Poochie died on the way back to his home planet" more than make up for that.

To be clear, this is not to say "Principal and the Pauper" was the low point. I just see it as one of the first cracks in the dam.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
"allow me to respond with a question: why would a man whose shirt says 'genius at work' spend his time watching a children's cartoon?"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I remember when the movie came out I was still just barely clinging to my Simpsons obsession, and sitting through it was one of the most awkward moments I've ever had in a theater. The audience was laughing, but you could just feel that everyone was forcing laughter because they felt like they should be laughing. I've watched it only one time since then, it doesn't hold up, it's exactly as bad as any other random zombie Simpsons episode where they're just trying SO hard to cram jokes into every single line and moment but most of them are falling flat.

The most memorable thing about the Simpsons movie was that the guy selling bootleg DVDs of it on the Philly subway was really attractive. I watched it once, was wholly unimpressed, and then lost it in a move some years later.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I have to say I am shocked that this thread wasn't ten pages of "gently caress that episode with the racehorse and the jockey elves."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed the movie the one time I saw it (in theater) but me and my friend had drank and smoked a bunch in the parking lot before hand. I'm sure it wouldn't be great as a sober rewatch a decade later on

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 8, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I have to say I am shocked that this thread wasn't ten pages of "gently caress that episode with the racehorse and the jockey elves."

I remember seeing that episode as a kid and liking it but as an adult it doesn't even feel like a simpsons episode. It's like something gravity falls or adventure time would do

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I remember seeing that episode as a kid and liking it but as an adult it doesn't even feel like a simpsons episode. It's like something gravity falls or adventure time would do

I think it's a good example of an episode that's actually pretty funny and well-animated, but gets ragged on relentlessly because it was jarringly unlike any episode prior to it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All I remember of the movie was Green Day and Lisa gettin' preachy <10 minutes in. Couldn't take more than that.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Drunken Baker posted:

Don't even think they showed the Critic here in England at the time, but it was still a great episode.

They definitely didn't here in Australia so we had no loving idea who this Jay Sherman fella was but the episode was still amusing.

The thing about the Armin episode to me is while the plot is bizarre there's still good jokes in it. Nowadays there's no good jokes to redeem anything

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
spider pig might be the worst thing to come from the simpsons because despite being unequivocally terrible i remember hearing people singing that loving song constantly.

like the simpsons movie was their last chance to recapture what made the show great and instead we got spider pig and the eskimo lady with the giant tits.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Simpsons Movie is a movie feels like a project that shouldn't have even been taken on until a year or so after the series ended so you could just turn that into a series of movies, sort of like various Muppet films.

The sort of problem is that you almost can't do a big screen romp given how much the show has already done without retreading already worn ground. Something like "Simpsons in Japan" or "Simpsons go to Europe" or "Homer in Space" could have probably been these big concepts milked for a 90 minute movie if you threw in some extra B storyline material for the family members to do, some big celebrity cameos or something.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Homer gets raped by SPACE pandas.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PallasAthene posted:

Did the Simpsons writers make up a conversation from Marge like they did with Barbara Bush, or was that a joke cover for an interview with Matt Groeining?

I believe they did a fake interview with Marge. I know Matt Groening personally drew the other pictures in the issue, which you should not go googling for and when you invariably do, remember that Marge was based on his own mother.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Aesop Poprock posted:

but me and my friend had drank and smoked a bunch in the parking lot before hand.

Classy

Ten Wasted Dollars
Oct 24, 2010
The answer is simple. We kill the simpson.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think the episode where Rodney Dangerfield played Mr Burns' estranged son and his character got written out at the end was a worse episode than Principal and the Pauper. It had a similar "screw you, we're pretending this never happened" ending and It wasn't even a good use of a talented guest star.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only good joke in the Rodney Dangerfield episode was when he starts talking to himself and then realizes what he was doing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Episodes where the plot centers heavily around a new one-off character like that were rare in the good seasons but they went on to use it so often that it's basically a lazy sitcom writing trope now.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

super sweet best pal posted:

I think the episode where Rodney Dangerfield played Mr Burns' estranged son and his character got written out at the end was a worse episode than Principal and the Pauper. It had a similar "screw you, we're pretending this never happened" ending and It wasn't even a good use of a talented guest star.

The guy who wrote that episode is responsible for some of the worst poo poo eps that occurred while I was still watching it, including the NYC one, the tomacco one, the garbage man one, and the one where Maude dies. And the Marge getting implants one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Maxtone-Graham#Writing_credits

Other writing credits include the infamous SNL "canteen boy" sketch that's either a joke about gay people or child molestation being funny, depending on how you look at it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

The guy who wrote that episode is responsible for some of the worst poo poo eps that occurred while I was still watching it, including the NYC one, the tomacco one, the garbage man one, and the one where Maude dies. And the Marge getting implants one.

Other writing credits include the infamous SNL "canteen boy" sketch that's either a joke about gay people or child molestation being funny, depending on how you look at it.

Haha, he's won 6 Emmys and he's now an executive producer. He's been so handsomely rewarded for making GBS threads up the Simpsons.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

In the early 2000s, there was a Treehouse of Horror episode where one of the bits involved Springfield getting rid of all of its guns, which brought Billy the Kid, a different Wild West outlaw, and Kaiser Wilhelm II back from the dead. They proceed to terrorize the town, and after it's resolved, somebody (maybe it was Moe?) says something about "getting me a cavewoman hooker." That was a truly awful bit of Simpsons history.

People here have talked about The Simpsons being "mean-spirited" lately, and I'll take their word for it. It's a shame, because while classic Simpsons was subversive and cynical about society, it always had love for its characters, especially the family. Sucks to see it fall into the same trap as Family Guy has.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
My favorite shockingly brutal Simpsons joke is the one in the Treehouse of Horror where Homer accidentally full on murders the president and his opponent by asphyxiation, on screen, naked in the silence of space. It's so gruesome lmao and the little "...oh, no." when he sees it never fails to crack me up.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 8, 2017

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I really like Burns Baby Burns cos it introduced me to Rodney Dangerfield and Anyway You Want It.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cobweb Heart posted:

My favorite shockingly brutal Simpsons joke is the one in the Treehouse of Horror where Homer accidentally full on murders the president and his opponent by asphyxiation, on screen, naked in the silence of space. It's so gruesome lmao and the little "...oh, no." when he sees it never fails to crack me up.
You can't accidentally murder someone. If it's accidental then it's manslaughter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The worst tree house of horror sketch is easily the kodos and Kang avatar ripoff. Either that or the one where Homer gets paralyzed by a spider.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Scudworth posted:

one of my least favourite Simpo writers.

quote:

According to the memoir of Jay Mohr, Ian Maxtone-Graham threatened to quit and sue the show during the 1993-1994 season after an altercation with Norm Macdonald. The lawsuit never came to fruition.

Now I like Norm even more but Jay Mohr is a dickhead so who knows if that's true or not

e:

quote:

In December, Ian Maxtone-Graham, a self-described anti-smoking zealot, complained about Norm MacDonald’s lighting up in the writers’ room. MacDonald shrugged it off. So Maxtone-Graham extinguished the cigarette by squirting MacDonald in the face with a water pistol. MacDonald punched Maxtone-Graham in the head, knocking him to the floor.

Norm Macdonald is the best.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

luncheon meat posted:

one of my least favourite Simpo writers.

Now I like Norm even more but Jay Mohr is a dickhead so who knows if that's true or not

e:

Norm Macdonald is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7dLlzUE2JY

Now I wonder if this was based on Norm McDonald not putting up with that poo poo.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 8, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7dLlzUE2JY

Now I wonder if this was based on Norm McDonald not putting up with that poo poo.

Maxtone-Graham is in the commentary for that episode :stare:

Knowing he's been punched in the face by an actual funny person makes me very happy.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
the early treehouse of horror episodes had some of the best gags too, the evil krusty doll sketch is just :kiss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQznz_MJajs

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

luncheon meat posted:

They definitely didn't here in Australia so we had no loving idea who this Jay Sherman fella was but the episode was still amusing.

The thing about the Armin episode to me is while the plot is bizarre there's still good jokes in it. Nowadays there's no good jokes to redeem anything

They did show the Critic on pay tv. I saw it on Austar on the Arena or Comedy channel. This was ages ago when the music channel was called "Red".

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

They did show the Critic on pay tv. I saw it on Austar on the Arena or Comedy channel. This was ages ago when the music channel was called "Red".

That's where I saw it first circa 1999 or so but at the time nobody in our school had foxtel, not even sure it was in WA at the time so it was pretty baffling until I got the scoop from my cousin with the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was pretty sad when I realized even the Halloween episodes were no longer good. Something about dolphins taking over and Ned running a biblical-themed haunted house that just had... no jokes.