Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Medullah posted:

Dammit, I followed your advice and used my Special Edition DVD and now there's a Dewback in Sonic Green Hill Zone.

Sonic & Knuckles title replaced by Jedi Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

As far as US releases go, the other really big ones are Capcom's UN Squadron and Taito's Super Nova (Darius Force). Contra 3's not a shmup but get that, too.

If you're willing to import then there's also Konami's Pop'n Twinbee and Parodius games, Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie and lots of other games that may or may not be worth the going price.

This is a fantastic list and you should follow it including the SFC imports!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

univbee posted:

Système Écran Couleur Avec Mémoire (color screen system with memory), used in France and Eastern Europe way back when.

Right.

The French invented it around the same time that PAL was being developed, and adopted it because PAL was Not Invented Here™.

East Germany and the rest of the Warsaw Pact countries adopted it specifically because it wouldn't work with West Germany's PAL broadcasts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So like... I can tell the lovely AtGames plug and play things apart from a real Genesis, sound-wise, but I really can't tell any of the official revisions apart. Are my ears just broken?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Elliotw2 posted:

There's Super Aleste in the form of Space MegaForce if you're a Compile fan, and Thunder Spirits if you don't have the Genesis version.

Super Aleste is fine but I wouldn't recommend Thunder Spirits - that and Raiden are two ports that just aren't worth bothering with.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

edit: i'm dumb, someone already said super aleste

oh for actual content I like Kidou Soukou Dion, it got a US release as "imperium" but don't play that version as they cut graphical effects to save money on ROMs

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Pretty sure the dark image in Wii/Wii U VC was implemented as a burn-in countermeasure.

I doubt it because that literally can't work, and no one else does it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Medullah posted:

Dammit, I followed your advice and used my Special Edition DVD and now there's a Dewback in Sonic Green Hill Zone.
Shadow shot first

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Shadow Hog posted:

Shadow shot first

Well he does obliterate anyone who not his friend.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I beat Adventure Island on the NES in one fell swoop today

:hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah:

Little kid me (along with 33 year old me) is beyond proud of myself.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mace Bacon posted:

In PAL territories most later AV stuff does PAL/NTSC. I've got VCRs that do both.

I don't think I've seen a CRT since 2000 that doesn't support both.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
The cheaper CRTs (so pretty much everything non-Sony) did the whole 60Hz refresh rate but didnt understand the NTSC color signal so unless you used an RGB cable youd get a black and white picture. Because of this shops usually talked anyone chipping their PSX into buying an RGB lead with it cause obviously youre modding your system for imports

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeaaah, come to think of it I remember back in..I wanna say '99 a friend of mine came back from overseas with a chipped PS1 and had to play his $1 pirated games in black and white until they got a proper cable.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

By the late 90s most TV sold in PAL territories could do NTSC just fine. Even a generic thing my family bought in 1996 could display it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The very first Sony Trinitron I hauled in my apartment after starting to play on a real CRT again didn't support NTSC, only PAL. I only had PAL consoles at the time, but when I started to get into imports, I had to change the CRT. Which is a shame since it was otherwise very good.

But like mentioned even in Euroland there were many models that did have 60hz / NTSC support, especially later models.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So like... I can tell the lovely AtGames plug and play things apart from a real Genesis, sound-wise, but I really can't tell any of the official revisions apart. Are my ears just broken?

Eh, you'd have to listen pretty closely on not-lovely speakers. The newer revisions (nearly all of them) tend to introduce excessive filtering and distortion, so it sounds kind of muffled. I personally like it because it's what I grew up with. Emulators without any kind of filtering enabled sound awful to me.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Hydro Thunder on the Dreamcast is one of my favorite games. I've picked up a couple steering wheels to try to get a better experience.

I just wanted to show you guys this. I picked it up at a retro shop for $20 a few years ago. The internet has almost zero information on it. It "works" but the pedals don't go the full analogue range, so you can't hit the high speed. I've been meaning to take it apart, but haven't gotten around to it. My Dreamcast is unhooked and I got another steering wheel so it hasn't been a priority.

Edit: time!:doh:

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 7, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RodShaft posted:

Hydro Thunder on the Dreamcast is one of my favorite games. I've picked up a couple steering wheels to try to get a better experience.

Please use [timg] good Sir

e; quoting your post it seems that you did but the picture is still huge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TeaJay posted:

Please use [timg] good Sir

e; quoting your post it seems that you did but the picture is still huge.

Quoting automatically timg's images.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tyson Tomko posted:

'grats, that game is absurdly difficult.

Finally played that at some point last year and for the first time in a long while had to leave the system on to beat it because I didn't want to restart from the beginning because gently caress Adventure Island.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Quoting automatically timg's images.

The forums are supposed to automatically shrink images to fit within your browser window for many months now anyway.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Tyson Tomko posted:

Nice, now beat Wonder Boy on the SMS and let us know which one was more of a pain in the rear end.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Apparently there's zero information on that Fox Super Steering Wheel on the internet. If anyone knows anything about them, I'd be interested.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Apparently there's zero information on that Fox Super Steering Wheel on the internet. If anyone knows anything about them, I'd be interested.

Sure!

- Height technical and elite design.
- Combine with real driving feeling.
- The wheel incorporates every advanced feature.
- Imaginable for the serious racing enthusiast.
- Suitable for any vibration D.C racing game can insert original or any brand of memory card.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

d0s posted:

Sure!

- Height technical and elite design.
- Combine with real driving feeling.
- The wheel incorporates every advanced feature.
- Imaginable for the serious racing enthusiast.
- Suitable for any vibration D.C racing game can insert original or any brand of memory card.
This is a great post.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

fishmech posted:

The forums are supposed to automatically shrink images to fit within your browser window for many months now anyway.

:monocle:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RodShaft posted:

Just glancing around, Fox looked to be just another brand of rebadged controllers, looks like the parent/more popular branding is "Dragoncast."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Like a year now? But I still use the H option on imgur. Timg still loads the full image into memory, and that crashes awful.apk a bunch.

Typical photo, timg'd or not, 3-8 MB
"Huge" option on imgur: around 300k

To use the imgur option, put a lower case "h" before the ".jpg". 12345.jpg becomes 12345h.jpg.

I wish timg would die. It's a terrible memory hog, and a dumb hack.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just resize my photos because it's muscle memory to make everything I post on the web 56k/1024x768 friendly. the advent of smartphones right as hires displays and broadband became the norm made it never a bad idea to use small images

e: I still use timg if I want to post something where detail needs to be seen, but even then I downres it from original photo size to something like 1600 pixels wide and compress it to a 10 or so in photoshop

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 7, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

mariooncrack posted:

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for shooters for SNES.

Ugh, the worst console for shmups. The only one I can recommend in good faith is Super Aleste.

PCE and MD have much, much better offerings in the genre. Check those out instead.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ofecks posted:

Ugh, the worst console for shmups. The only one I can recommend in good faith is Super Aleste.

PCE and MD have much, much better offerings in the genre. Check those out instead.

But the SNES had that shump with the old guy playing the banjo on the box!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

It's true that PCE and MD have more and better shooters but calling SNES "the worst" for them is kinda hyperbolic. See other perfectly fine recommendations in the past few pages, there's more than super aleste though I also think it's the best on the system. There are many other systems with far worse libraries for them

e:

Rirse posted:

That's Phalanx and it's a port of an X68000 game, actually pretty good once you get your weapons set up right

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Ofecks posted:

If you don't like UN Squadron we will have... words.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Man-An...9oAAOSwYmZXKkM1

I guess sometimes you got to show off your ebay items yourself?

edit: ha ha what the hell?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/mexomorph/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

Not a bad game, actually. But, yeah, the SNES isn't a great platform for shoot-'em-ups. Weirdly, I think that while the Genesis was better, most of the good ones were super early releases which might reflect part of why the genre never really landed on the SNES. It might be a situation that the genre was fading in the home market by 1990 and the SNES was the last guy to market of the big three at that time (and no, I'm not including the 7800 with that). So the genre got roots in the PC Engine, found some success on the Genesis until they faded away, and just sputtered on the SNES.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Can't blame her for lack of effort at least.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Captain Rufus posted:

If you don't like UN Squadron we will have... words.

I got your back on this one. More like UN Squadrowns

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The U.N. Squa has drowned

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

Just glancing around, Fox looked to be just another brand of rebadged controllers, looks like the parent/more popular branding is "Dragoncast."

None of theirs seems to match this design. Not saying you're wrong. I'm just gonna caulk it up to some crazy company making a few things and folding before the internet was big enough to remember them. Maybe I'll send it to one of the Dreamcast YouTube channels.

Anyway here's the only markings on the box that could be close to a serial number... there's also a up, but google didn't have it.

Which is weird because mine is orange, like the picture on the box, but unlike any of the options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Shadow Hog posted:

The U.N. Squa has drowned

nooooo :argh:

So speaking of amazing games, come to find out a friend of mine is now playing Symphony of the Night for the first time. I envy him, I wish I could be experiencing that for the first time again, what an amazing game.

He just found the Bat spell and killed Richter. He said it didn't feel like a very good ending, I told him, maaaan you have so much more to go before the real ending... as far as I know he's going into it totally blind. Should be fun when he thinks he's done, and he's only really halfway there. :v:

• Locked thread