Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

goatface posted:

I hope it's some sort of godkilling escapade.

Bingo! We are trying to kill a lunatic Emperor (demi)god that decided turning almost everyones souls on one vast island separated from the rest of the Generic Fantasy World into copies of his soul in an insane attempt at immortality. Also, because of that, his fuckhead of a son caused a very Dark Soulsy curse of undeath afflict most people on the island and some people in the outside world, and all the PCs are of course affected. We talked with a bunch of dragons afflicted with the same thing at the start of the last session and decided that the sun is probably the Emperor's source of power, since the island has this crazy fake sun that never stops shining, and the Emperor is nominally the sun god of the island. He also killed the other gods of the island when he did the whole "everyone's fantasy-Hitler now"-thing, stopping "normal" day and night cycle - how day and night worked on the island before was weird and not the way it works in the outside world, where every PC comes from.

Now don't get me wrong, the plan is still batshit insane, none of the party likes the island or the people living on it very much, since most of the inhabitants are in fact copies of a mad Emperor, undead, or working with the fuckhead who caused the whole curse of undeath. So we don't care all that much if the sun blowing up means that the Empire of Souls evaporates in a massive magical explosion. Couple of the ancient undead dragons had also tried to blow up the sun at one point or other, so we got helpful tips on what not to do. Unfortunately they are RELIGIOUS undead dragons, so they just sit around on a bunch of pedastals and talk a lot, because they think they are supposed to be dead, therefore they are not supposed to do anything besides give advice.

The party has only one actually evil PC, and he does usually the least horrible things, as he is more of a former midtier evil henchman who does not have any strong ideological ties to anything. The worst things are usually done (by accidents or ignorance) by the party's Good-aligned Deva, and by the party's fighter, Norman the Completely Normal Human Fighter From the Most Normal Village in the World. Nobody knows why Norman does the things he does. Oh, and then there was that one time our druid burned down a village. It's okay though, they were all Emperors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Our D&D 4th edition party has decided that we need to blow up a sun, possibly by building a dam on a magical river. Or destroying a dam built on a magical river.
My 3.5e D&D party is explicitly trying to stop this from happening. The results thus far have been... mixed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Unfortunately they are RELIGIOUS undead dragons, so they just sit around on a bunch of pedastals and talk a lot, because they think they are supposed to be dead, therefore they are not supposed to do anything besides give advice.
This is a neat little detail. I'm stealing it.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Has giving PCs a Wish spell worked out okay or is it like the Deck of Many Things?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kumo posted:

Has giving PCs a Wish spell worked out okay or is it like the Deck of Many Things?

In 3.PF, Wish isn't what people think it is. It has a discrete list of things it can do, and while many of them are versatile (such as creating a nonmagical item worth 25000gp or less), there is no "Literally Anything You Say" option. So the idea of Wish rules lawyering is a holdover from older editions where it was much more open ended.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Uh, what? It has a list of safe options, yes, but it also has this line:

quote:

You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
An old friend was once part of a campaign that took a 10 session detour to find the universe's greatest contract lawyer after the party received a ring of three wishes. Eventually they got two of their wishes (they paid with the third).

Like most things, it really depends on who you're playing with.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

senrath posted:

Uh, what? It has a list of safe options, yes, but it also has this line:

Huh, I see what you're meaning now. I've always interpreted that line to mean "Anything stronger than about these options will be downgraded to be in line with this" due to the Partial Fulfillment line. I'd still interpret it that way, but I see where someone else may disagree with me.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The correct way to interpret that is "if your players try to do anything fun make sure to punish them"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

goatface posted:

An old friend was once part of a campaign that took a 10 session detour to find the universe's greatest contract lawyer after the party received a ring of three wishes. Eventually they got two of their wishes (they paid with the third).

That sounds fun actually.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kaza42 posted:

Huh, I see what you're meaning now. I've always interpreted that line to mean "Anything stronger than about these options will be downgraded to be in line with this" due to the Partial Fulfillment line. I'd still interpret it that way, but I see where someone else may disagree with me.
"The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment" is always read (and is intended to be read, look at who made that edition) as "if your players do something outside of these effects, be sure to gently caress them up for daring to be creative."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Was their secretary a boss battle?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

"The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment" is always read (and is intended to be read, look at who made that edition) as "if your players do something outside of these effects, be sure to gently caress them up for daring to be creative."

Hey come on, the pathfinder guys are not that stu

Goddamnit Jason!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It should be noted that making it a move action renders weapon cords mostly useless as normally readying a weapon takes a move action.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

That sounds fun actually.

Oh they were enjoying themselves, it was all player driven. They completely hosed off from the DM's carefully planned out plot-line to go on a cross-planar road trip in search of a legendary contract artisan who first hammered out the terms of pseudo-plane subletting rights (something like that anyway), angering gods, demons and everything in between along the way.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

At this point, things take a decidedly dark turn as Psycho decides to waterboard the perfumier

:cripes:

why have there been so many stories about characters resorting to torture and physically abusing NPCs lately? I get in this situation the GM is too much of a tool to shoot the whole thing down, but come both in and out of character the other players should said something. You had a dude talking about waterboarding someone in the same game his 7 year old son plays in

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 1, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

why have there been so many stories about characters resorting to torture and physically abusing NPCs lately?

TRUMP!

*click*

I'm not kidding I seriously believe that some of this is spillover from peoples's thoughts and feelings from real-life.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Nuns with Guns posted:

why have there been so many stories about characters resorting to torture and physically abusing NPCs lately? I get in this situation the GM is too much of a tool to shoot the whole thing down, but come both in and out of character the other players should said something. You had a dude talking about waterboarding someone in the same game his 7 year old son plays in

I should probably clarify on that. While he did originally announce he was going to waterboard her, of course the child didn't know what this was, and rather than explaining it correctly he described it as dunking her head underwater (which while not pleasant is at least a less horrific image that, rightly or wrongly, is used in comedic contexts)

And yes, he was making jokes about "apparently it works!" at the time.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

goatface posted:

:ohdear:

To contribute, things in our game are generally good and fun, but small things have started cropping up. We play infrequently, and there is a tendency to often start and stop campaigns with the group (like 6+ I think in a year). Our most recent one started with PCs randomly created by the DM, which is usually okay; but it means the players lose a bit of agency over the one thing they do control in the game world. About half of the other PCs are either insane, murder hobos or insane murder hobos at this point too. I guess I'm playing one of the "straight man" types, and it does get taxing trying to y'know, roleplay and rein in a passel of murderers/murderesses.

Case in point, this is a D&D 5e game and my character background is Outlander with the bond of "destroying the evildoer who destroyed my homeland." To give it some flavor, I rolled some dice and came up with a personal revenge backstory for my character. Recently, the character discovered the whereabouts of the evildoer and the group headed there-

-except they made a stop first at some dungeon on the way. Okay, cool whatever, on to the evildoer's whereabouts next time.

-except it's further away than you thought and we got side-tracked going after some bandits. <Sigh.> All right, kill the bandits, and head to evildoer's whereabouts.

-except there are more bandits! Somewhere! You have to find them! And you encounter a NPC who says there's an evil despot nearby who hates adventurers and must be deposed!

Wait. Why would we going after him then? He's got an army, and all we've got is an orc who talks to his weapon like it's his wife & bathes in the blood of his enemies. We're doing this because someone we met a day ago said so? I've been here this whole time and the group has multiple plot points to hit. Why should we believe this NPC anyway? THIS IS GETTING IN THE WAY OF MY HOT SWEET REVENGE FANTASIES!

And then one of the insane murder hobos looted a magic ring with a wish on it. So, well, gently caress.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If he wishes his wife would talk to him again and then his axe starts talking back to him, that would be good.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

You realize you can run Fate with a normal d6-d6, right? No custom dice required. The numbers are slightly higher (4 versus 6) but the underlying math is the same and that's not the only system. PbtA games also feature success with cost/fail forward rules and those don't require custom dice either.

Fudge dice also aren't proprietary, you can find them for a reasonable cost from a number of manufacturers.

This is from a couple pages ago but, if the issue is partially with having to buy special dice, there is a conversion table in the corebook for Edge of the Empire that allows you to use normal d6, 8, and 12s.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Last time on Tanicus – After making our way through the evil Sidh nation of Ancellyon, our party finds itself standing outside a set of standing stones protecting an altar that will open a portal to the Feywild. Our Eldritch Knight Tellisyn has been directed by the Queen of Air and Darkness to open this portal before the Spring Equinox, however there’s something floating in our way…

Jabberwocks. I never knew they existed outside of a Lewis Carroll story, but our party was staring at one.

Time was running out. The moon was almost at its apex and if we didn’t get through the force field surrounding the standing stones by midnight, the Queen of Air and Darkness and her army would remained trapped in the Feywild. Without her army to tie them up, the armies of Ancellyon would be free to invade the mainland (well, Ancellyon is technically a peninsula of Tanicus’ main continent, but it’s cut off by mountains, desert, and a respectably sized body of water. Or, as our Paladin puts it, “Ancellyon is a middle finger to the rest of the continent”). Perched on top of the standing stones, the Jabberwock tells us that he has been tasked to guard these standing stones by a celestial being who was seeking to right past wrongs (Az. AGAIN) and that he will defend them to its dying breath.

Our Eldritch Knight sighs, readies her spear, and says in the most weary and depressed tone, “we don’t have time for grand speeches and negotiations. Charge.”

As a PC or as a player, I had never fought a Jabberwock before, and these suckers are TOUGH.

Saving Throws Dex +10, Con +13, Wis +10
Damage Vulnerabilities cold; slashing from vorpal weapons
Damage Resistances acid, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non-magical attacks
Damage Immunities fire
Condition Immunities charmed, paralysed, stunned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Common, Draconic, Sylvan
Challenge 20 (25,000 XP)
Whiffling. The wings of the jabberwock create a significant amount of winds which surrounds the monster to a radius of 30 feet. While whiffling, ranged attacks have disadvantage and Medium creatures must make a DC 10 Strength check to approach the monster. Small or smaller creatures are blown away if they fail a DC 15 Strength check.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The jabberwock makes three attacks, two claws and one bite or two claws and one tail slap.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 22 (4d6 + 8) piercing damage.
Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d8 + 8) slashing damage.
Tail Slap. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 24 (3d10 + 8) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a Medium or smaller creature, it must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Eye Rays (Recharge 5-6). The jabberwock projects two energy beams with a range of 60 feet and they can target more than one creature if both targets are within 30 feet of each other. Each creature must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 66 (12d10) fire damage on a failed save or half as much damage on a successful one.
Burble (Recharge 5-6). The jabberwock releases a blast of strange noises and shouted nonsense in the various languages known to the jabberwock (and invariably some languages it doesn't know) affects all creatures within a 60-foot-radius spread—these creatures must make a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw or become stunned for 1 minute. A stunned creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. Alternatively, the jabberwock can focus its burble attack to create a 60-foot line of sonic energy. Each creature in that line must succeed on a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or take 40 (16d4) thunder damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

The Jabberwock spends the first couple rounds kicking our rear end. Our GM had warned us that since we were not only of such a high level but also well known to the gods and their proxies, it was going to get a lot tougher from here on out. This was the first “oh my God, we’re looking at a possible TPK” fight since fighting a Black Dragon (or the Beholder a few months back since it actually DID kill a member of our party). Not only is the Jabberwock using all of its Legendary Actions, it’s making the rolls to get them back, while our party is blowing saving throw after saving throw. Our melee fighters can’t get close to it because they’re failing on their Strength checks while our ranged fighters are missing with disadvantage (our poor Rogue FINALLY manages to roll a bunch of 20’s…only to roll 7’s and 8’s as well).

My Sorcerer at this point is hiding behind a tree during all of those because he’s also not hitting for crap. Going for what I thought was a cool role-playing moment, I prayed to Riva, the God of Fortune and Destiny, the one who had entrusted me with the golden thread that would be used to weave a new universe if this one fell. “Riva, we could use an assist on this one…”

About a year ago, our GM asked us to fill out a short e-mail questionnaire about where we wanted to take the campaign next. He also asked us about what we see our PC’s doing – what our long-term goals were, how we felt about the rest of the party, and what’s a moment/trick/stunt we’d like our PC’s to have/pull off in the campaign. For Varis, I said “I like just a few small moments of charm here and there to reflect his rural, ‘aw shucks’ upbringing…but if push ever came to shove, I’d love to have a full blown Storm from the X-Men moment where Varis is just floating in mid-air, surrounding by wind and lightning, and absolutely devastating everything in front of him. A moment where he really IS the Lightning Lord.”

So I move my PC to come out from behind the tree and try to get closer to the Jabberwock so I can throw a Lightning Bolt. He’ll resist it, but at least the drat thing will HIT.

To paraphrase the GM, “As Varis walks…everyone sees that he’s lifting off of the ground. Each step takes him higher and higher. The trees start to sway as the wind picks up, and you hear thunder even though the night sky is clear of clouds. The Jabberwock turns its attention to Varis as lightning begins to crackle up and down the copper threading woven into his robes. His hair stands on end, his eyes are glowing yellow, and you hear a voice that is definitely not Varis’ say ‘Get to the altar. I will confront this beast.’”

All attack rolls are made with advantage, all rolls against me are made at disadvantage, and all my spells do maximum damage.

This was the moment of cool I wanted, and the fight turns into a one-on-one duel between Varis and the Jabberwock. It’s still a bitch of a fight because I still have to hit the drat thing and I’m using cold spells instead of lightning spells (I get bonuses when I throw lightning around) and the GM isn’t holding anything back either. I burn through my staff’s Shield spells and a good chunk of my spell slots before managing to take the drat thing down. Once the Jabberwock hits the ground, Varis slowly floats to the ground, turns to face Tellisyn, and the same voice that isn’t Varis’ tells her “my pact with Varis has been fulfilled. Go and fulfil yours.” At that point, Varis slumps to the ground, unconscious.

(OOC – I apologize for making these stories The Varis Show. Since I’m his player, it’s a bit of bias. The other players get moments just as cool and awesome, I just don’t have the memory for them like I do for mine and can’t remember the big details!)

Our party figures out how to get through the force field. Four of the standing stones are carved with the old Sidh symbols for the seasons – one for winter, one for spring, one for autumn, one for winter. Four people have to walk through the stones at the same time in order to deactivate the force field, representing the importance of the seasons to the Sidh. Once that’s happened, Tellisyn walks up to the altar, places her hand upon it, and says the ancient words. The portal opens up

…and all Fey breaks loose.

quote:

Appearing in the glade around you are sprites and pixies, centaurs and fauns, unicorns of a variety of colors and sizes...

...large toad-like creatures with leaf-like ears, trunks like tapirs, and four tentacles on their back ending in exotic, purple flowers...

... walking marionettes the size of men in wide-brimmed hats, their faces blank, but with wooden masks carved to look like human faces hanging from their coats...

...tiny, flying creatures with four spindly legs and large heads with toothy smiles, flying on dragonfly wings and carrying small pliers and some wielding spears tipped with human teeth...

...creatures with thick, horse-like bodies with eight legs and blue-skinned, humanoid torsos and heads, ram-like horns above pointed ears...

... short, hunched creatures with rows of sharp teeth, carrying short-hafted axes, long, smooth hair glistening with crimson ichor smelling of blood...

...wide-eyed children with innocent faces and insect-like antennae, wicked curved daggers held hidden behind their backs...

...large, fly-like insects wearing porcelain masks with painted, red lips wearing cloaks woven of translucent, veiny, untanned leather...

...massive men with four arms and bestial faces with multiple sets of horns and antlers...

...giant, furry spider-like creatures with faces like emaciated wolves and six, webbed insectoid legs...

...walking plants with thick, stalk-like bodies, broad, closed eyes with thick, bramble-like lashes and wide, toothless smiles over tiny, root-like legs...

...stout, floating humanoids with long, fox-like ears, comically-long, tail-like moustaches, and hands on both their arms and legs, moving through the air with glowing eye-like orbs hovering between their fingers...

...walking dolls with cracked, mauve-ceramic skin and molded, black hair, their faces broken off leaving empty holes with gleaming, amber light pouring out from within...

...adorable ponies in a variety of unnatural-but-pleasing colors, some with small unicorn horns or feathered wings, whose eyes sparkle with kindness right up to the point that their heads split vertically up the middle to reveal concealed, snapping maws filled with needle-like incisors...

...silver-skinned humanoids carrying long, slim spears with shark-like fins on the backs of their arms and legs, faces like small, thick manta rays...

...and hundreds more, each as beautiful and/or disturbing as the last.

And leading them, sitting atop a large, black alicorn with hooves wreathed in blue-green balefire, is a tall, beautiful, fey woman with pale skin like marble, ruby lips, and solid black orbs for eyes. She holds aloft a spear with a jagged, crystal head, black as the diaphanous, midnight lace wrapped around her form, and calls in a melodious, satin voice more ancient than even the Danaan race for her army to attack.

The Queen of Air and Darkness leads her army into the woods, and all we hear are the screams of the Ancellyn as the Fey rip them to shreds. No mercy, no pity, no quarter is given as 500 years of imprisonment have given way to a revenge-fueled slaughter. Our GM found an app for his iPad that let him play multiple audio tracks at once. He played the sounds of a steam calliope slowed down to half-speed over-top of a nature track of a forest during a windstorm, and turned down really low so we could BARELY hear it he had taken the climatic scene from the series Dead Set where the zombies finally break into the Big Brother house and rush the houseguests to represent the death throes of the Ancellyn army.

As this is going on, the grove behind us is becoming MUCH more lush and green. All kinds of new trees, brightly colored flowers, fruits of shapes and sizes we had never seen before, and thick vines that pulsed of their own accord were spreading out from the portal…but they weren’t replacing or taking over the landscape and fauna. They were EXISTING at the same time like two planes co-located over each other. We didn’t just open up a portal to the Feywild – we let the Feywild into Tanicus and it was claiming Ancellyn as its own.

The Feywild is HERE, Mr. Burton.

By the time the Queen returned, the Feywild encompassed the standing stones and the forest that we had snuck through to get to the stones before coming to a halt. Her army had completely wiped out the Ancellyn army and were racing south to take out the other two armies that had been gathering for the invasion. Anyone wearing an Ancellyn uniform would be dead before the sun rose. Basically, our actions just caused the death of nearly every male in Ancellyon. But since the conscience of the party was unconscious (Varis was still out cold from being temporarily possessed by a god), nothing of value was lost, especially to our Sidh (Elven) Paladin and Eldritch Knight who were raised to view the Ancellyn at their race’s mortal enemies.

The Queen explained what had happened. The Sidh had always worshipped the seasons and placed great social significance on the changing of the seasons. 1000 years ago, the Sidh decided that their focus should be on the summer, and stopped giving praise and thanks to the other three seasons. Without the power granted to her from the worship of spring, the Queen was easily (relatively for a creature as powerful as herself) banished by the Ancellyn once they claimed the area, pushing the Feywild back and locking it away. The Feywild still exists in a separate plane, but that plane is now spilling over into Tanicus. “I have no designs on spreading any further,” she told Tellisyn. “I’ve had my revenge. Your duty to me is fulfilled Tellisyn. Go in peace…and tell the Sunspeaker (leader of the Highborne Sidh, often consider the nominal leader of all the Sidh races) this. Spring has returned to Tanicus and expects its due from the Sidh.”

Our options are this – walk back through Ancellyn through the wailing and gnashing of a grieving nation, or use Varis’ scroll of Teleport to return to Highspire, specifically the teleportation circle that sits inside Abeforth’s Apothecary. Gathering together, we all teleport away and end up in the backroom of Abeforth’s.

Oh, did I say backroom? I meant “teleportation circle meant for three people tucked away in a small closet-sized room.”

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CobiWann posted:

(OOC – I apologize for making these stories The Varis Show. Since I’m his player, it’s a bit of bias. The other players get moments just as cool and awesome, I just don’t have the memory for them like I do for mine and can’t remember the big details!)

Tell the rest of your group that if they have an issue with it they can pay the :tenbux: and tell their own stories.

...I just want more of these stories, is what I am saying here. :D

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I love that the same Bestiary that has the Jabberwocky also has the Bandersnatch and the Jub Jub Bird. Pathfinder Bestiary... 2, I think? All of them are nuts, too. They're all about CR 20, 18, and 16, because you don't gently caress around with Lewis Carroll.

That story was rad as hell. Boss battle stories are usually pretty rad.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Tell the rest of your group that if they have an issue with it they can pay the :tenbux: and tell their own stories.

...I just want more of these stories, is what I am saying here. :D

Well, I can give you a preview...

quote:

"Look, it's simple. One cow equals one vote, three pigs equals one cow, and five chickens equal one cow!"

"But what about sheep?"

"Three sheep equals one cow."

"So this voting system is weighted on size and not usefulness? Sheeps are more useful than pigs, they give wool year round."

"Pigs give you bacon."

"At the end of their lives!"

"A pigs worth of bacon equals a lifetime's worth of wool from a sheep."

"...OK, I'll give you that one. What about ducks?"

"OH GOD WILL YOU BOTH SHUT UP?!?"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

What about ducks?"

At the very least, I think that we can all agree that ducks are the hippest of all the waterfowl.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
DON'T gently caress WITH THE DUCKS.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Our Masks game got weird. What started out as a practice fight between the protégé (The hilarious Callback!) and the star (Dreamgirl) went sideways.

It started out with Dreamgirl (Rosamie) stealing her teammate's utility belt. Callback (Naryatti^) whined that this was unfair, and when her opponent tried to swing the belt, CB pulled out a secret weapon: An old-fashioned pistol. She put it under Dreamgirl's chin and fired, popping out a flag that said "flag".

After the laughter subsided, CB caught her teammate/crush in a handstand leg choke.

Unbeknownst to them, the training room was formerly a party room, and Gary Lopez (The dream controlling Nightcap) had activated a view screen while making toast. He had observed his teammates fight and, after finding some butter and a plate, decided to join them.

Callback, declaring herself the grand champion, officiated Gary vs Rosamie.
Knowing that they both had an interest in her, she declared the winner would get a kiss.

Then things got weird. Rose activated her super pheremones, making both teammates infatuated with her.
Gary responded with a romantic dip, followed by a spin kick.
Rosamie grabbed her baton* and swung for the fences, knocking her opponent out for a few moments.

Of course, KOing someone with dream powers has consequences. Callback saw an image of herself naked in gym class, while Rose had a vision of The person who really gave her her powers, D list villain CatsPaw.

Gary had a journey through the dreamscape, and we did a flash forward as Dream and Naryatti discussed their relationship, and if you could really love someone with pheremone control.

Back in the present though, Gary had a new plan.
Then things got extremely weird.

Sleepy Gary created the Dream Version of himself, right behind Rosamie.

Now, masks is a game about teenagers. Although they were reluctant, Gary goaded his teammates to make out with the perfect six pack hunk.

They did and it was amazing. However, DG and CB were good at manipulating too.

To keep up the tension, the end of the story will be after the footnotes.

*Of course her weapon is a tasseled button.
^You may recognize her; she was previously a delinquent but was reemagined for a new campaign.

Here's the weirdest part.
Goaded by the hottest girls he knew, sleepy Gary kissed himself. It was really good.

The dream construct vanished within a few minutes, and the three resolved to never speak of this again.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
and your dm is very good looking too
fake edit: I still am giggling over the flag having the word flag on it why

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Just had a great item come up in a 3.5 D&D ( :psyduck: ) game a friend of mine is running. It's an intelligent weapon with a few different abilities. It speaks aloud, and is super serious about everything. It goes on and on in overwrought, purple language that sounds like it belongs in a metal song. But what is actually happening may differ... slightly. For example, it has an ability that basically grants Power Attack as though the wielder has a +5 mod to Strength. So, the wielder can choose to take up to -5 to hit for up to +5 to damage. But this is how it came out:

:black101: "WARRIOR. Thrust the blade into the earth from whence it came. Bow to the cold earth and touch your mind to mine as you contemplate life and death. Turn your body and mind and soul around the blade just as the earth turns around in the infinite black of the cosmos. Each revolution is a swing of the reaper's scythe, as..." etc, etc.

In effect, the character has to play that schoolyard game where you spin around a baseball bat and try to take a swing while you're dizzy. Each spin was a -1/+1.

I just love how the sword is blissfully unaware of how dumb everything is and carries on being super serious despite it all.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Power Attack's bonus to damage is bound by BAB, not strength. :goonsay:

That sounds incredible, though. I love weirdo intelligent items/familiars/etc.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Power Attack's bonus to damage is bound by BAB, not strength. :goonsay:

That sounds incredible, though. I love weirdo intelligent items/familiars/etc.

My bad. :shrug:

I also love familiars and henchmen and such. I had an intelligent raven familiar in a Changeling LARP named Little Lord Fauntleroy. He was a bitter rear end in a top hat that hated everyone, my character included. The GMs loved him because it let them have fun dialogues with players, since they usually controlled his voice while I controlled his actions. But he had a heart of gold and would secretly help people that were nice to him in spite of his nastiness. One PC found out about him doing nice things for her and he threatened to peck her eyeballs out. Such a charmer. :allears:

The joke was that while Little Lord Fauntleroy was secretly nice behind a mean exterior, my actual PC was secretly a bitter old crank behind a friendly exterior. He was like Willy Wonka, but he sold books instead of candy. He affected a friendly, whimsical demeanor, but deep down he was bitter and hateful at the world for having lost his life, his family, and his humanity to the Fae. The few times he snapped, it was something like this scene:

Anyway, he found Little Lord Fauntleroy during his escape from the Fae, and they helped each other escape. Once free, they made a wager with each other to see who could resist their own nature longer, and to keep each other in check and sane.

I still have Little Lord Fauntleroy. I bought a cheap crow prop from a Halloween shop on clearance and taped a strong magnet to the bottom of its base. I taped another magnet under the shoulder of my character's plum-colored suit coat, so that I could put Little Lord Fauntleroy on my shoulder, but take him off easily if need be. It worked pretty drat well, and is far and away the most I ever did for costuming for a LARP.

He sits atop one of my bookcases now, taunting the cats who can't reach him.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Is this thread appropriate for games that we designed? I'm working on a little storygame as a class project and my testers came up with something just... weird.

NOTE: This is early test stuff. Names of things are barely above "Drawing cards stat" and "What happens if you lose"

For context the game features a Role and a Sub-Role. Sub-Roles are little bonus powers and gear that you give to another player as you define a relationship. Examples being a class called the Rookie being able to choose a Mentor, who can then step in and assist on the Rookie's turn. The General chooses a Lieutenant that gets a cool suit of armor or banner or something that gives the party bonuses for being the face of a movement. Etc.

We did a session 0.5 last night. My game starts with world creation so it takes some time. After a bunch of riffing and editing language they decided the following:

God-President Trump ascended to immortality in 2020, uploading his mind into the Internet and taking over Twitter, now Trumper.
Education has metastasized to the point that most people only know the pop culture of anything that happened more than 20 years ago.
This has led to a ton of nostalgia for the last few years before anyone gave a gently caress about Trump, the early 80's.
We live in the slums, which are a messy criss-cross of coded neon signs and literal underground clubs. The Ivory Palace(formerly White House) hides us behind golden walls and gates.
As public dialogue grew more polarizing, most old celebrities died, were absorbed into Trumper, or have become rebels forced into hiding.

Welcome to Washington N.C.(Neon CIty)

Our Party:

Andromeda Glitterpuff, General/Host - An androgynous revolutionary that hosts the best parties at Ground Control, which is a front for a terrorist organization. Their pirate satellite, Major Tom, is one of the last sources of free information anywhere. Andromeda is really bad at not tipping that they're David Bowie, who faked his death in 2016 and was downloaded into an offline computer. Allows Mr. Lynch and Merrill.viz to perform and de facto live at Ground Control. Is physically an AI in an Apple II shell on top of a headless mannequin.

Rocky, Rookie/Upstart - One of the last practitioners of the forbidden art of Breakin'. Rockie learned most of his moves off of old contraband VHS tapes. Rockie doesn't much care about the theory of the revolution. He just wants to dance, break poo poo and gently caress with Trump's Goldshirts. Frequently disagrees with N.C's remaining Breakmaster, Ritchie. Rocky feels a constant need to prove himself in contrast to the older and less corporeal party members. This leads to a lot of really stupid(and entertaining) risks.

Ritchie, Master/Mentor - N.C's last Breakmaster, a name for Breakdancers that learned the art pre-collapse. Treats Breakin' as a kind of martial art focused on property damage. Is constantly trying to give Rocky advice in the most patronizing manner. Has only one "student" because he hates the Revolution's use of vapourwave as a coded message. Mostly because Ritchie only listens to pre-Collapse Hip-Hop. Enables Rocky's daredevil tendencies by framing his stupid risks as "learning opportunities".

Greggg T. Hackerman, Hustler/Lieutenant - Andromeda's chief representative in cyberspace. Maintains Major Tom from his lair beneath Ground Control. Is one of the only people skilled enough to break into pre-Collapse archives for actual facts. Trades mainly in information. Is on the run from Cyberlich Mike Pence, who wants to absorb his consciousness and skills into the Trumper Network. As a hacker with a physical body and only two arms Gregg is kind of an oddity in this world.

Mr. Lynch and Merrill.viz, Duo/Talent - An old Neonbluesman and the Rogue AI that runs his visuals, business, and promotions. Lynch is a master of the Saxemin, a combination Saxophone and Theremin that plays sexy wooing noises when Lynch pelvic thrusts. Merrill.viz runs Lynch's visuals, bookings, and other minutiae. She's also a good hacker in her own right who specializes in taking over PA systems, advertising screens, etc. Operate as the entertainment for Ground Control and overall provides alibis for the party. Lynch and Merrill are secretly cryogenically preserved John Legend and the cyberghost of Chrissy Teigen.

The story opens with the party attempting to break into the Ivory Palace in order to steal broadcasting equipment. Merrill and Andromeda get uploaded into the local network while Gregg decides to ping firewalls and otherwise piss off the IT department long enough for the AIs to break in and case the joint. Merrill and Andromeda botch a few checks and stray from the mission of probing security. This leads to Merrill stumbling upon a party in the East Wing attended by God-President Barron, Cyberlich Pence, and Grand Wizard Bannon. Merrill's player fails the check to ignore it and breaks into the media systems. The party suddenly turns gay as all hell. Subversive music blares over the PA system, all the lights turn pink and contraband images flood every screen in the building. Trumper gets alerted and locks down the Ivory Palace's intranet and begins scanning for foreign code. Greggg is able to force a reboot long enough for Andromeda to get out, but Merrill gets frazzled in the process, taking her out of the next scene as the party retreats.

The action at the Ivory Palace causes the slums to be raided. Ground Control becomes a standoff as Lynch and Andromeda insist to the Goldshirts that they're simply hosting a concert. Meanwhile in the basement Greggg frantically tries to recover Merrill's corrupted data. Ritchie and Rocky successfully sneak out the back after making an appearance. As they duck through the slum alleys they change into dark clothes and masks.

The Goldshirts suddenly run off as their radios call in a code Andromeda doesn't know and Lynch doesn't care about. Lynch goes to the basement to check on Merrill's recovery. Ritchie announces that theyr'e "Black Blocing", a semi-inaccurate term in Breakmaster code that basically means "Kick valuable stuff until it breaks and distract the police". Richie and Rocky run into a local shopping center and just start tearing the place apart. With some creative acrobatics and some really good checks they're able to cause enough $Trumps in damage that all local authorities are called. Ritchie and Rocky continue to smash luxury items and evade authorities until they get trapped in an alley.

At this moment the party finally makes the check to get Merrill's code reconstituted. A mysterious pink fog begins rising from the vents in the streets and Lynch's Saxemin begins playing over the loudspeakers. Merrill reveals herself as Teigen by appearing on every screen for two blocks, reciting every insult and critique of Trump she ever Tweeted in autotune. The Goldshirts freak and start shooting the screens to stop the illegal broadcast. In the confusion Ritchie and Rocky disappear into the fog, ending the session.

We're going for round 2 tomorrow and swapping out a player. I can't tell if their first go points to this being a good design or a really bad design.

Razorwired fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 11, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is beautiful.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
:golfclap:

Amazing! I want in on that game.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You had me at Saxemin.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

CobiWann posted:

...adorable ponies in a variety of unnatural-but-pleasing colors, some with small unicorn horns or feathered wings, whose eyes sparkle with kindness right up to the point that their heads split vertically up the middle to reveal concealed, snapping maws filled with needle-like incisors...

I lost it at this part. :D Someone must not be a fan of MLP. This entire story has been excellent; this was just the cherry on top. :)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PurpleButterfly posted:

I lost it at this part. :D Someone must not be a fan of MLP. This entire story has been excellent; this was just the cherry on top. :)
My Lovecraft Pony: Friendship is Eldritch.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It reminds me of the time my players in Dungeon World failed a Spout Lore roll on geography. This is a roll to see what they know about a particular fact; normally in DW a fail means that you learn a new fact about the world, but it's really bad news -- for example, failing a Spout Lore on a vampire's vulnerabilities might lead to learning that nothing you're carrying will permanently kill it.

In this case, I decided to do something else, and asked the players to describe what they mistakenly believed to be true about the area. They came back that it was a happy, peaceful valley full of food and friendly, welcoming villagers.

So when they arrived, there was indeed a pastoral paradise full of friendly, singing hobbits who invited them to join in the evening's feast. Tables laden with food, songs with "diddly" in the lyrics, all that sort of stuff.

It wasn't until the sun set that the hobbits' eyelids opened sideways to reveal wide, staring bushbaby eyes and mouths full of piranha-like teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Honestly I'd probably be so sick of the twee little village that I'd welcome a fight.