Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Moridin920 posted:

ahahahahahahaha

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/us/politics/betsy-devos-education-secretary-confirmed.html

ahahahahahahahahahaha oh poo poo i'm glad i don't have kids lmao

i'm starting to lose my ability to lol at this now

when is it going to collapse already, I'm tired of all this edging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
America is gonna be feral in two generations lol

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Toadvine posted:

America is gonna be radioactive ash in two generations lol

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Don't you be eyein my pile of ash

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Uh she's qualified, rear end in a top hat.

No degree. Never taught school. Never went to public school. None of her kids went to public schools. Wants to take public money and give it to private schools. Donated millions of dollars to republicans.

Yeah but she married a guy who made all his money in selling MLM schemes. That's good enough for me!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Trumps cabinet of retarded and greedy supervillains is almost complete

lollin' hard

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Trump LOVES the poorly educated, and that means he will love all our children.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

uhhhhh, lol?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You guys are looking at this wrong, all those (soon) empty public schools is prime real estate! Invest today!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

America is gonna be feral in two generations lol

I watch the Russia dash cam vids of madness happening and it is funny both because it is madness but also that's our future and we're rapidly hurtling toward it

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Toadvine posted:

Don't you be eyein my pile of ash

*In 21st generation american voice* : keep your fingers out of my ash hole.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Glad I have the luxury of lolling pretty hard at all this because I have no children who will have to deal with the fallout of all this*.

*Because I don't have children, not because I'm rich.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Also, lol at the national parks becoming wastelands and strip mines soon.

Emboldened by Trump’s confrontational relationship with the EPA and the Department of the Interior, Congress considers easing rules on drilling in national parks.

http://www.theinertia.com/environment/congress-considers-drilling-for-oil-in-a-national-park-near-you/#modal-close

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Minimalist Program posted:

*In 21st generation american voice* : keep your fingers out of my ash hole.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm glad I got to see most of the best national.paeks before they became wastelands

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
2024. President Trump tweets

"American Election system RIGGED. America wants 3rd term. SAD."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bring back Teddy Roosevelt

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
An impulsive blowhard is exactly what we need to keep the other nations in check in the coming hellish wasteland that is 2024

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics posted:

Also, lol at the national parks becoming wastelands and strip mines soon.

Emboldened by Trump’s confrontational relationship with the EPA and the Department of the Interior, Congress considers easing rules on drilling in national parks.

http://www.theinertia.com/environment/congress-considers-drilling-for-oil-in-a-national-park-near-you/#modal-close

lol DRILL BABY DRILLLLLLL

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
I was about to joke that the only person missing is an actual ISIS member as some sort of security advisor, but then I realized that he would have knowledge about his field.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

:shrug: just gonna send my kids to private school I guess, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

bag em and tag em posted:

Trump LOVES the poorly educated, and that means he will love all our children.

please dont say hell love them like their his own daughter

evangelicals convinced themselves this piss chugging daughter fucker cares even a little about their christ jesus

Lol

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

evangelicals convinced themselves this piss chugging daughter fucker cares even a little about their christ jesus

Lol

Did they? I remember one of trumps significant departures from his primary opponents being his unwillingness to lick Christian dong.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kinda but that's why you got Pence in there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/JeffSharlet/status/801570839284088832?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

no NO i couldn't believe it but it's real apparently

http://blog.acton.org/archives/89837-bring-back-child-labor-work-is-a-gift-our-kids-can-handle.html

ahAHAHAHAHAHAHA stop STOP i can't

quote:

DATE: Given the recent attention drawn to this post, permit me to clarify that I do NOT endorse replacing education with paid labor, nor do I support sending our children back into the coal mines or other high-risk jobs, nor do I support getting rid of mandatory education at elementary and middle-school ages. Due to the confusion it brought, I have removed “bring back child labor” from the title, as many falsely took it to mean a call to “bring back” earlier laws, conditions, or jobs, which is not my argument. My recommendation here is simply that we challenge our cultural assumptions about labor at all levels, from parenting to education to policymaking, and ensure we take a more holistic approach to education that recognizes the dignity of each human person.

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Drain the Swamp

lol

Fill the drained swamp with more swamp water!

Lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
oh poo poo that's good poo poo

quote:

I also think about their inner lives. They are working in the adult world, surrounded by cool bustling things and new technology. They are on the streets, in the factories, in the mines, with adults and with peers, learning and doing. They are being valued for what they do, which is to say being valued as people. They are earning money.

Whatever else you want to say about this, it’s an exciting life. You can talk about the dangers of coal mining or selling newspapers on the street. But let’s not pretend that danger is something that every young teen wants to avoid. If you doubt it, head over the stadium for the middle school football game in your local community, or have a look at the wrestling or gymnastic team’s antics at the gym.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 7, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol americas best hope is that trump dies/quits/is impeached soon enough that pence gets in and his cabinet choices are only 99% as bad

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bannon: "Mr President the democrats don't think you will actually succeed in destroying every aspect of american life. They don't think you have the guts!"

Trump: "Hold my Glasses."

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

My recommendation here is simply that we challenge our cultural assumptions about labor at all levels, from parenting to education to policymaking, and ensure we take a more holistic approach to education that recognizes the dignity of each human person.
*nods sagely*

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

no NO i couldn't believe it but it's real apparently

http://blog.acton.org/archives/89837-bring-back-child-labor-work-is-a-gift-our-kids-can-handle.html

ahAHAHAHAHAHAHA stop STOP i can't

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

What if we let them work just a little? You know, for like, a few hours at really really low pay? Just saying.

Lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i mean i guess the only point of public school anymore is to produce good workers for companies so sure i guess just cut the middleman out

quote:

They are being valued for what they do, which is to say being valued as people. They are earning money.

if you don't earn money you are not valued as a person kids

quote:

In our policy and governing institutions, what if we put power back in the hands of parents and kids, dismantling the range of excessive legal restrictions, minimum wage fixings, and regulations that lead our children to work less and work later?

lmao

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Son of Rodney posted:

Bannon: "Mr President the democrats don't think you will actually succeed in destroying every aspect of american life. They don't think you have the guts!"

Trump: "Hold my Depends."

Fixed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

who wants an effort post osmeone made on what a disaster invading iran would be?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Jose posted:

who wants an effort post osmeone made on what a disaster invading iran would be?

I do.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Why effort post when you'll soon get to watch it play out in real time lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

:justpost:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gently caress thread was locked so i had to format the images myself

quote:

Iran warmongering freaks me out more than just about any other Republican stupidity. Even tons of liberals think it'd be "another Iraq". Invading and occupying Iran would not be anything like Iraq. It'd be waaaaaaaaay worse. For a quite a few reasons:

Lets look at who we'd be fighting. First of all Iraq had less than half the population of current day Iran. A ~third of which are Kurds who were pretty much defacto independent and hostile to Saddam and Sunni militant groups alike. The vast majority of those left were Shiites who don't join Sunni Islamist orgs and weren't exactly keen on Saddam either. So the pool of people that were potentially recruitable by post-Saddam militant groups probably consisted of 5 million people tops. Iran, on the other hand, pretty much have the Balochs, a few million Kurds, and nobody else in the "would never join up with militants in a statistically significant way" camp. So you're looking at a recruiting pool of, oh, lets say 60 million people. Who on average have a much, much stronger sense of national identity than Iraqis do. This isn't some arbitrary chunk of land thats been haggled over and passed around like an army camp hooker between half a dozen empires for the past 800 years. Even the most "pro-western" Iranians are not going to be chill with being invaded. Also likely to be way better armed.

Now lets look at the environments we'd be fighting in. Iraq at one point had a significant amount of forest and swamps that might have been useful to hide out in. Less so at the time we invaded. Outside of Kurdistan, who were cheering us on, Iraq is as flat as a pancake. Pretty much all Sunni Arab civilization in the country is clustered around a handful of rivers. Between these rivers are exposed flatlands. There's no hiding out in the wilderness here. The core cities are Shiite. It's honestly about as ideal a situation you could ask for to fight against a Sunni insurgency.
Iran, well, lets see how the population is distributed first.

Whereas Iraq had one giant population cluster that pretty much everything radiated out from, Irans population is spread out over quite a few regions. Keep in mind Tehran alone is significantly more populous than Baghdad, and quite a few of Iran's other cities are pretty big in their own right. With rural supporting populations to match, which don't conveniently follow a small number of rivers like they do in Iraq.
Oh and lets talk about topography now, starting with the Tehran (circled in red) area:

Boy howdy what a fun place to fight a massive loving insurrection in. And whats that on the other side of the Alborz? Why its the jungles of Hyrcania! Some of the most dense forests in the world. This lovely combination of landscapes is an insurgents wetdream and has made for some fun history.

Medieval accounts of struggles to bring the region to heel typically describe what we would today call guerrilla warfare, in a time period where that wasn't much of a thing. Arab commanders marched armies in and their mace-crushed skulls were thrown back out. Fun.
Ok so Tehran is a nightmare, what about that Esfahan place, surely it's not as bad? Conceded, its landscape isn't as hostile as the Alborz:

The Zagros range is only as bad as most of Afghanistan. How about Tabriz?

How about some mountains? How bout Kermanshah?

How bout some more loving mountains? Uh....Shiraz?

Pretty sure you knew the answer at this point. And the answer is loving mountains.

Ok so you're looking at this topographic map of Iran and you notice that this Ahvaz place isn't in the Zagros range and is in some nice flat-STOP! You remember all those marshes Iraq used to have? Well they're pretty hosed up here too, but they still exist.

The poor fuckers who get sent here can get their very own Vietnam experience marching through the oil polluted mudflats of Khuzestan! Which for the past while have also gone through a massive drought thats raised a poo poo ton of dust storms, while not actually making the ground any less mudflatty.
Alright. What about that Mashhad place way up in the Northeast? It's Irans second biggest city and the mountains seem less dense and and and-

No.

There's no relevant area where the terrain isn't hostile as gently caress or would even grudgingly tolerate our presence the way the Shiite areas of Iraq did. We'd probably lose more people in the initial government toppling than in the entire War on Terror to this point. It'd be impossible to hold without massive Vietnam level death-tolls, and even then I'm not actually sure we could. Due to having a million different fronts it'd be mind mindbogglingly expensive, to the point that it might actually cause the US to go the way of the French Fourth Republic. Don't loving invade Iran.
Schizotek hosed around with this message at Aug 11, 2016 around 02:56

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol the middle east is the graveyard of empires