Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, yeah. I get that. I was just surprised that there is literally no reason, other than upgrades/$$/XP to do the assignments in ME2. Stark contrast to ME where at least you felt like you were exploring. Or fighting Geth. Or learning, vaguely, about Cerberus. Or doing some weird assignment that had a small payoff later.

What do you mean, no reason? You're playing a game, with its own self-contained story, of which the characters are the purpose.

...except Thane. loving bitch-rear end can't-breathe lizard motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Drifter posted:

What do you mean, no reason? You're playing a game, with its own self-contained story, of which the characters are the purpose.

...except Thane. loving bitch-rear end can't-breathe lizard motherfucker.

Don't get on my homeboys rear end. I'll throw Jack at your mother and tell her she's your fiance.

None of the assignments in ME2 are related to the plot. There is no reason to do them other than XP or $$ or upgrades.

Ok, I take that back. None of the planet assignments matter. There is a smattering of assignments that take place on mission worlds, like getting brandy for Chakwas.

See for yourself: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Assignments You'll have to scroll down the ME2 assignments. If you look at the big group between Citadel and Illium, you can skip every single one and it have no effect on anything in ME2 or ME3. Including learning more about the main story. And most of the ones on story worlds are skippable, too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'd like thane a lot more if his loyalty power wasn't just Garrus' but worse in every conceivable way. At least he gets warp I guess.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kurieg posted:

I'd like thane a lot more if his loyalty power wasn't just Garrus' but worse in every conceivable way. At least he gets warp I guess.

ME2 squadmates are hosed in a lot of ways because they have 2 active+Loyalty powers so people like Samara, Jack, Mordin and Legion are utterly shafted compared to others. It didn't help especially that they decided some powers just did gently caress-all if the enemy had shields or barriers which it gave literally every enemy on higher difficulties (looking at you all biotics except warp/reave, also cryo blast etc)

poo poo sucked and its why Im not enthused about limiting powers so severely in Andromeda. You know they're going to give the good squadmates bad skillsets again and I'd like to not feel gimped.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zore posted:

poo poo sucked and its why Im not enthused about limiting powers so severely in Andromeda. You know they're going to give the good squadmates bad skillsets again and I'd like to not feel gimped.

The best power they could give PB is self destruct.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

AngryBooch posted:

Villains in Halo go by titles rather than actual names. Something the Halo writer has brought over to mass effect before he left. Everyone in halo is named like the prophet, the arbiter, the didact, etc.

Don't forget "The Harbinger" or "The Sovereign."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Ehhh...it was never THE Harbinger or Sovereign. Just plain Harbinger and Sovereign.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Archdemon, the Arishok, the Illusive Man.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Ashley. The Sera. The PB.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Bhaal :hb:

Sarevok :black101:

Jon Irenicus :moreevil:

Amelyssan :effort:

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
The Fisto

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Waltzing Along posted:

None of the assignments in ME2 are related to the plot. There is no reason to do them other than XP or $$ or upgrades.

Or because they enhance your understanding of the world or characters or are fun self contained stories in their own right. That it doesn't matter to the saga in the long run doesn't mean it didn't matter to the player.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ShineDog posted:

Or because they enhance your understanding of the world or characters or are fun self contained stories in their own right. That it doesn't matter to the saga in the long run doesn't mean it didn't matter to the player.

What characters? If you choose the right teammate you might get a comment. You learn about the 3 big gangs because that is 75% of the assignments.

It gets worse in ME3 when the assignments are dropped almost completely. It sort of makes sense because end of the world, but in ME2 it would have been nice if there was an actual point to the other stuff.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It was "The Catalyst" and "The Shepard", actually.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Drifter posted:

Ehhh...it was never THE Harbinger or Sovereign. Just plain Harbinger and Sovereign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRdcVYTjRw&t=305s

(when you lay all his lines out like that, it doesn't help the impression that he's obsessed with Shepard... Shepard... Shepard...)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, yeah. I get that. I was just surprised that there is literally no reason, other than upgrades/$$/XP to do the assignments in ME2. Stark contrast to ME where at least you felt like you were exploring. Or fighting Geth. Or learning, vaguely, about Cerberus. Or doing some weird assignment that had a small payoff later.

Every side mission in ME2 was way more memorable to me than touching down on a blue/red/brown color swapped planet, entering the same prefab structure, and killing dudes for whatever reason.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thor-Stryker posted:

No.

The Division is probably the worst release in the past five years as far as AAA flops go. A game hyped up to be the next Destiny and its entire population tanks after one month.

Hello 5: No Division's Sky: Battlefront

Longevity isn't an issue so long as you get your money upfront from the suckers I mean punters.

Who cares if everyone stops playing after a couple weeks? You already got their money.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Except for those games that are trying to be a storefront for content packs they hope people will keep buying. The Division wants you to buy clothing packs and the DLCs, and they don't get that if you don't like the game enough to stick around. GTA Online has Shark Cards and keeps bringing out more and more outrageously priced content to tempt you into buying them again and again.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Division was incredibly fun for a few weeks when played with a buddy. I still play it occasionally to run some dungeons with friends. It hits the same spot Destiny did. Hopefully Andromeda's MP can successfully replicate the MP of ME3. I could see myself dropping a little cash on that for loot boxes or whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I got the Division free with my video card last year, and I barely remember anything about it besides wishing I could cast biotic explosions instead of boring realistic stuff like "create ammo box."

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Was Destiny any good? I don't own a console to play it with but the setting and art style were great

Serf
May 5, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Was Destiny any good? I don't own a console to play it with but the setting and art style were great

Like The Division it was pretty good with friends and mediocre alone. The story is virtually nonexistent outside of the website/phone codex, which was a huge letdown after Halo, and the game was also very short and only one expansion added anything worthwhile. Still, nobody designs games with shooting that feels as good as Bungie does, so I'll still throw on a podcast and make some loops around Venus and Mars, which is always pretty enjoyable with the Taken King stuff they added in.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

It was "The Catalyst" and "The Shepard", actually.

''the catalyst" tells "the Shepard" to become "the reapers"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exquisite tea posted:

Every side mission in ME2 was way more memorable to me than touching down on a blue/red/brown color swapped planet, entering the same prefab structure, and killing dudes for whatever reason.

this. i loved all the various side quests and the loyalty missions and the various paragon renegade moments.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 2 had probably the best mission-downtime-mission pacing of any game ever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Mass Effect 2 had probably the best mission-downtime-mission pacing of any game ever

The opening 60 minutes of ME2 should be studied forever on how to quickly establish your main conflict + characters in a compact amount of time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

exquisite tea posted:

The opening 60 minutes of ME2 should be studied forever on how to quickly establish your main conflict + characters in a compact amount of time.

Yep. I agree with this.

Also, I think people are misunderstanding the difference between loyalty missions and assignments. They are different.

There are assignments that taking just a couple minutes to do. There are two where you are alone. Some have cool bang bang segments but it's all just fluff. Nothing like talking down Toombs or running into some dude who has tried to trap you and blow you up. No weird silver balls that send you on a time journey if you gently caress a prostitute. (assuming you gently caress her after talking to someone rather than before.)

The ME assignments are so much better it's not even close. They add to the game. ME2s stuff has no point. It's just shooting things and can be 100% ignored and still get the optimum result at the end of the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pattonesque posted:

gently caress you Garrus, we both know we've never shot those guns.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Especially the what felt like 55 minutes worth of unskippable cutscenes :v:

ME2 was dumb :colbert:

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 7, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

orcane posted:

Get outta here.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do they ever explain why Steve Blum was trying to kill me? Was it the Shadowbroker?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

marshmallow creep posted:

Do they ever explain why Steve Blum was trying to kill me? Was it the Shadowbroker?

Steve Blum doesn't narrow it down any in a Mass Effect game buddy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If Steve Blum hasn't threatened to kill you at least 10 times by now than I must question your video game credentials.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I mean, I meant Wilson in the intro since that's what we were talking about, but fair point, he has at least three roles in Mass Effect 2 alone.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

orcane posted:

The section where they make you control Joker is really dumb and annoying too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pops Mgee posted:

That's not in the opening. That's near the end of the game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pops Mgee posted:

That was a good sequence. I'm sorry you don't like good things.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

marshmallow creep posted:

I mean, I meant Wilson in the intro since that's what we were talking about, but fair point, he has at least three roles in Mass Effect 2 alone.

shadow broker

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

DancingShade posted:

That was a good sequence. I'm sorry you don't like good things.

Not a fan of my action rpgs forcing me to take control of a slow pilot with boneitis that isn't my player character. The whole thing could have just been a cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pops Mgee posted:

Not a fan of my action rpgs forcing me to take control of a slow pilot with boneitis that isn't my player character. The whole thing could have just been a cutscene.

It was a fun tense sequence. It's like 5 minutes, tops. It's also a much better impact when it puts you in the shoes of a defenseless character seeing all this poo poo go down and trying to escape instead of just watching it as a cutscene.