Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
For what it's worth DeNa has done a great job improving quality of life features in FFRK and giving you lots of poo poo to do with various amounts of playtime. I have no idea how big their slice of the pie is in developing this game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

In a vacuum, is one of the two banners better than the other? Sorry if this was asked before, I skipped about 700 posts.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

In a vacuum, is one of the two banners better than the other? Sorry if this was asked before, I skipped about 700 posts.

Takumi is currently one of the "best" characters so the second banner is better. But Robin is "anti-Takumi" and is in the first banner.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ChronoReverse posted:

Takumi is currently one of the "best" characters so the second banner is better. But Robin is "anti-Takumi" and is in the first banner.

I already pulled a 4* Robin so I guess I'll try the second banner again.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

acumen posted:

For what it's worth DeNa has done a great job improving quality of life features in FFRK and giving you lots of poo poo to do with various amounts of playtime. I have no idea how big their slice of the pie is in developing this game though.

yeah, I have no doubts that they are aware of these issues and have to fix it, but I'd argue the base is pretty fundamentally rotten, and building anything on top of it will be broken unless they fix the base.

The arena system should be you get 3 losses a pop. One free entrance a day, ones after that you pay for them. No reasonable person is ever going to spend a dollar to play a game for 10 minutes. But if you make them win streak based then you tap into more gambling-type mechanics.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 7, 2017

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Lucina and Marth edge out Lyn and Roy, Takumi/Robin are probably tied (I'd say Robin's higher since he's the best counter to the most popular unit right now - Takumi), and Tiki/Camilla are both okay and can cancel eachother out.

I'd go Legendary Heroes personally but if min/maxing doesn't matter then just choose who you like more.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really don't think the arena is supposed to be the bread and butter end game.

I suspect they are going to roll out the coop stuff before they fix anything.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
The lack of stamina upgrades is super baffling. Literally every other gacha I've seen has a player level system. I really wonder what was the logic behind bucking the mold.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

The lack of stamina upgrades is super baffling. Literally every other gacha I've seen has a player level system. I really wonder what was the logic behind bucking the mold.

I have a feeling it's from how out of control it got in FFRK. Like I said before, I have shitloads of stamina and if they didn't create dailies that required ridiculous amounts, it'd take me forever to drain it every day. They gave out a ton over the first few months of the game but for the past year your cap goes up by like 1 point every month or so. Maybe they tried to change things up a bit here but the implementation crashed and burned. Story missions don't need to take 50% of your stamina at the point where they're initially available.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Takumi is ridiculous

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 7, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Before predicting the doom of the game, remember that it's been out for a week. Every mobile game has regular content releases, and only people chain chugging stamina pots are even done with the content that already exists. Give it a bit of time.

e: stamina and exp curve are super hosed though for sure

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The real end game is to go buy Fates and a 3ds

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rascyc posted:

Same but Echoes in May

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Nintendo's going to make a lot of money off of this anime game

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Est is a pretty cool 4*. There are some battles she'd be useless in, but I think she'll replace my terrible old-man healer until I get some better units.

I don't really mind the stamina system right now because I only want to play a little. Haven't even been using my potions.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I think that if they just reduced the stamina ramp up (as well as keep the current skills and training tower stamina costs) then it would already be pretty good. 23 stamina for a go at Lunatic is crazy but if it were 12, then it's a lot more palatable.

23 stamina should be reserved for stages that have multiple parts or something.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm honestly not that bothered by the current stamina situation because frankly the game is super light on content and there is not much to do with stamina but grind in the training tower anyway. If they removed all the speedbumps it would just become that much more obvious how repetetive and thin the game is.

If the half cost training event ends and there's still nothing to do but grind and clear story mode, then they will have a problem.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Scoss posted:

I'm honestly not that bothered by the current stamina situation because frankly the game is super light on content and there is not much to do with stamina but grind in the training tower anyway.

If the half cost training event ends and there's still nothing to do but grind and clear story mode, then they will have a problem.

That's a good point. I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo's plan is to make stamina costs onerous while the game is content light, then once a few content cycles have happened, make stamina much better so there's never a point where people who attend chugging pots feel like there's nothing to do

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Remember that they also gave out ten stamina potions, which I wound up using to clear all of Normal, Hard, and 2/3 of Lunatic story modes for the orbs spread across like, three days. Don't be the dunce that hoards them all, then complains about stamina restrictions.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Does anyone have an opinion on Olivia? Getting an extra turn on a unit could be useful to get into a really good position or first strike on the first turn but I can't tell if that is worth a spot on a team.

And on Lissa, do you prefer imbue or kindled?

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 7, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The other thing that I find slightly concerning is that the story content is not leveled in tiers. 6-5 Hard is the same level as 9-5 Normal. Similarly 9-5 hard is the same as 6-5 Lunatic.

Not only does this mean that I had completed chapters 1-7 on hard mode before finishing 9-5 (which made it so I didn't get any quest completion for the hard mode quests, that's fun.) But it also means that 2/3 of any story mode content is going to be obsolete to me when it is released because it would need to follow the same format.

They should not have had modes at all. Or done it so that 9-5 feeds into 1-1 hard, and so on.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Olivia? Getting an extra turn on a unit could be useful to get into a really good position or first strike on the first turn but I can't tell if that is worth a spot on a team.

I really want a dancer, it would increase my options immensely, allowing for tactics like moving in my nuker to kill a high value target and then sacrificing my dancer so the nuker can reposition somewhere safe to gradually slaughter the survivers one by one.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

The other thing that I find slightly concerning is that the story content is not leveled in tiers. 6-5 Hard is the same level as 9-5 Normal. Similarly 9-5 hard is the same as 6-5 Lunatic.

Not only does this mean that I had completed chapters 1-7 on hard mode before finishing 9-5 (which made it so I didn't get any quest completion for the hard mode quests, that's fun.) But it also means that 2/3 of any story mode content is going to be obsolete to me when it is released because it would need to follow the same format.

They should not have had modes at all. Or done it so that 9-5 feeds into 1-1 hard, and so on.

Just train multiple teams then.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Rascyc posted:

I'm playing Awakening right now and having fun, but wondering if/when I should just jump ship and play Fates instead so I don't have a backlog of FE games when Echos comes out.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Pulled a 5* Maria. Opinions?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nazzadan posted:

I'm playing Awakening right now and having fun, but wondering if/when I should just jump ship and play Fates instead so I don't have a backlog of FE games when Echos comes out.

Awakening is a better game than Fates in all but tactical depth (and even then it beats Birthright, not Conquest). The plot is better, the characters are better, and the music is better. If it's your first FE game, it has plenty of tactical depth, too--most of the added depth in Conquest is liable to be either invisible or overwhelming to a new fan.

My recommended play order for the series for a new fan would be something like:
Awakening
Fates Birthright
Fates Conquest
New Mystery (fan translation)
(stop here unless you can put up with lack of Quality of Life)
Path of Radiance
Radiant Dawn
Sacred Stones
Blazing Blade
Binding Blade (fan translation)
Genealogy (fan translation)
Thracia 776 (fan translation)
(stop here unless you hate yourself)
Fates Revelation
Shadow Dragon
Gaiden (fan translation)
Mystery (fan translation)
The original (fan translation)

Come join us jaded regulars in the FE megathread for more hot takes

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Of that I played Path of Radiance way back when, I guess I'll just finish Awakening before I move on. Lon'Qu is the best and I'm glad I have him in both games and I heard I get Selena soon in Awakening, making my FEH party like half Awakening/half Fates

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Katana Gomai posted:

Pulled a 5* Maria. Opinions?

She's a fine healer (especially once they fix the bug with physic) but doesn't really gain anything by being 5*, and not really any better than other healers.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
For those that beat the hard mode world end missions before unlocking the rewards by finishing all the normal mode missions. If you run the mission again you will get the reward.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

SpaceCadetBob posted:

For those that beat the hard mode world end missions before unlocking the rewards by finishing all the normal mode missions. If you run the mission again you will get the reward.

Yeah I'm in this situation now, I need to go back and re-do the end missions and a few of the early ones with 3 members or less.

As soon as my stamina refills..

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

goddamn it game give me a blue person. I've done like 40 pulls and all I've got is the starting 2* lance user

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

She's a fine healer (especially once they fix the bug with physic) but doesn't really gain anything by being 5*, and not really any better than other healers.

Not a bug. It's a mistranslation. In the Japanese, it's simple a 2 ranged attack.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The person who aid they were going to write an OP for me still hasn't so I might have to do it myself after all, and include things like "don't do the fifth mission of each chapter in hard or lunatic until you unlock the quest for it"

Since I'm a forgetful person, if there's something specific someone wants to see in a new OP, PM me it and I'll work it in.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I've been rolling with a 4* Barst, but just got a 4* Raven. Do I go with one over the other? Barst has the pushback ability but Raven has a lifeleech that seems useful. Do I just level up Raven and see how his growths compare?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

I've been rolling with a 4* Barst, but just got a 4* Raven. Do I go with one over the other? Barst has the pushback ability but Raven has a lifeleech that seems useful. Do I just level up Raven and see how his growths compare?

Between the two having threaten def and a brave axe on raven seems like a no brainer over Barst tbh. The life steal is just icing on the cake. if you have like Takumi or Hector though then stick with Barst since moving Takumi after he kills an enemy is overpowered imo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jeorge might be just a bargain-bin Takumi but man is he doing some serious work in my team

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nazzadan posted:

There is never a rush, just play them as they come.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

cheetah7071 posted:

[...]
Come join us jaded regulars in the FE megathread for more hot takes

Shadow Dragon is the DS remake of the original, right? Why is it ranked much lower than the modern games?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It still plays like an nes game and the side chapters require you to screw up and kill people to get them. It did so poorly it nearly ended the series and got the sequels remake left overseas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

Shadow Dragon is the DS remake of the original, right? Why is it ranked much lower than the modern games?

The art style is dull, the lack of any supports means that 99% of your army will get like three lines of characterization, the sidequest chapters are only unlocked by you deliberately killing off enough of your own army... it's just not fun in general.

I mean, the localization is pretty alright even though it's working with an NES plot and the new prologue chapters were cool? Otherwise it really is Not worth playing.